Thomas Vermaelen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
You know the thread in general chat about starting a rumour with the aim to make it catch on in the media?

This sounds like the outcome of an equivalent thread on the arsenal forum and they've succeeded...

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Wasn't even good enough for Arsenal's defence last season, we definitely should be aiming higher.
Because Per and Kocienly (or however you spell it) were a fairly good partnership.

Vermaelen is experienced, but not consistent the last 2 seasons. Would prefer other options. But if he is used in rotation to allow Smalling and Jones to play together, with Evans also, then it won't be too bad a signing.

goin4glory

It better fecking had be!
I don't think he's getting the credit he deserves to be honest he was rated as one of the best CB's in the league after his first few seasons at Arsenal and was in premiership team of the year. He hasn't progressed like he should have but he's excellent on the ball and at 28 should have his best years ahead of him.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Just on this page of the transfer forum we have threads on Vermaleen, Vlaar, Blind and Martins Indi. When did we lower the bar so low for Manchester United defenders?

red_7

With our injury prone defenders it makes sense for us to sign him if cheap and considered a backup.

A world class defender to replace Vidic has then to be signed in addition.

What about Garay? I have been on holiday a week and havent heard anything for a while. Is the move to Bayern done?

LR7

Vermaelen makes far too many costly individual errors. He'd be an awful signing and I really hope we aren't considering it. I'd rather sign no one at CB and just promote Michael Keane (I hope we promote him anyway regardless of who we sign).

JackXX

How much will he be? I don't think he would be a bad signing if Van Gaal is keen.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
If we're really signing Vermaelen I'd like to believe van Gaal can see something in him I don't because all I see is a player who was good at one point in his career but injuries hindered his career and took away everything that was good about his game. I'd rather we spend the money on someone like de Vrij, Bruno Martins or Veltman.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Don't worry folks. It's the same just new recyclable shit to talk about during the World Cup over and over again.

No one knows who's on the LVG list, not even Mark Ogden.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
He's a good option to have at £10 million or less.

hobbers

Wouldn't say no to him for less than £10m. Top player not so long ago, could be that again in the right environment. Probably got sick of Koscielny's screw ups and gave up.

RedRover

Wouldn't say no to him for less than £10m. Top player not so long ago, could be that again in the right environment. Probably got sick of Koscielny's screw ups and gave up.
He looked great a couple of seasons ago. A good defender - if he isn't injured. That'd be my concern.

If he can stay fit he'd be a decent signing. Plenty of experience and an older head at the back in light of Vidic and Ferdinand leaving.

Lane

He is a decent CB cover actually. But only a cover. Then again Smalling, Evans and Jones, i mean if we don't believe in them, we need to sell at least one. There is no need to have so many CBs fighting for the starting line-up.

I for one is not sure what to do in our CB situation.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
He looked great a couple of seasons ago. A good defender - if he isn't injured. That'd be my concern.

If he can stay fit he'd be a decent signing. Plenty of experience and an older head at the back in light of Vidic and Ferdinand leaving.
That's the million dollar question - can he stay fit?

Do you remember the times when Arsenal would have won the league if Vermaelen stayed fit? Or Djourou?

We do not need to add another injury prone defender, especially one who is not very good at defending. Do not want.

The Neviller

He is a decent CB cover actually. But only a cover. Then again Smalling, Evans and Jones, i mean if we don't believe in them, we need to sell at least one. There is no need to have so many CBs fighting for the starting line-up.

I for one is not sure what to do in our CB situation.
If we sign one we definitely don't have to sell one. We've just lost two, three isn't enough.

Lane

If we sign one we definitely don't have to sell one. We've just lost two, three isn't enough.
Depends on who we sign really. There is also M Keane, i don't think he is ready, but he is here and we also need to decide what to do with him. The balance is important. The team needs three (provided they play with back four) strong defenders. The fourth one is a reserve. MU "inflated" game time for Jones, Smalling by using them as a RB cover, but that has to end really. I don't think that having any of the named trio as this cover will do really. Vermaelen one the other hand could do that.

The Neviller

Depends on who we sign really. There is also M Keane, i don't think he is ready, but he is here and we also need to decide what to do with him. The balance is important. The team needs three (provided they play with back four) strong defenders. The fourth one is a reserve. MU "inflated" game time for Jones, Smalling by using them as a RB cover, but that has to end really. I don't think that having any of the named trio as this cover will do really. Vermaelen one the other hand could do that.
I wasn't counting Keane, because the sensible thing to do with him is give him a loan in the Premier League, maybe to Leicester where he had a good spell before. The three we have isn't enough, and the young ones we have (Keane, Thorpe, whoever else), aren't ready to step up. It would be reckless to start the season without adding at least one. Evans, Smalling and Jones simply aren't enough to go into the new season with. I'll genuinely worry about us this season if we don't add at least one centre back.

Gopher Brown

He's a bit on the short side for a centre back, but what's worse is his positional play. He's hopeless at knowing when to come out of the back line to close down an opponent and when to leave him to the midfield. His constant walkabouts have caused Wenger to replace him.

Lane

I wasn't counting Keane, because the sensible thing to do with him is give him a loan in the Premier League, maybe to Leicester where he had a good spell before. The three we have isn't enough, and the young ones we have (Keane, Thorpe, whoever else), aren't ready to step up. It would be reckless to start the season without adding at least one. Evans, Smalling and Jones simply aren't enough to go into the new season with. I'll genuinely worry about us this season if we don't add at least one centre back.
You need to read my message one more time really. I think i covered all that.

You can see how Chelsea played this season. A team with a best defensive record. They had only three CBs (Luiz, Cahil, Terry). Ivanovic can play at CB, but he only played there 2 games (via whoscored) and Kalas had two games. As i've said balance. Fourth one is a deep cover option.

The Neviller

You need to read my message one more time really. I think i covered all that.

You can see how Chelsea played this season. A team with a best defensive record. They had only three CBs (Luiz, Cahil, Terry). Ivanovic can play at CB, but he only played there 2 games (via whoscored) and Kalas had two games. As i've said balance. Fourth one is a deep cover option.
They were fortunate in that the ones they have didn't get injured much. We don't have that luxury. Every single one of our five centre backs had a long term injury last season, and some of the three we currently have were out at the same time. It's been an issue keeping our centre backs fit for years. Going into a new season with just those three would be absolute madness.

Lane

They were fortunate in that the ones they have didn't get injured much. We don't have that luxury. Every single one of our five centre backs had a long term injury last season, and some of the three we currently have were out at the same time. It's been an issue keeping our centre backs fit for years. Going into a new season with just those three would be absolute madness.
I give up, really. You just seem to miss argument completely. I've never said we don't need to buy a new CB. In fact i've said quite the opposite and that's why i was posting it in this exact thread actually.
You just don't seem to get that 4 top CBs will never be a part of a really solid defensive unit. Chelsea was best because they had consistency. WE don;t need four first team CBs that wold not be good for a team, we need two strong CBs, that would be our main defenders, we need a third one, that would pretty much on par, maybe a bit worse. He will provide cover, rotation etc. And then we need forth choice that would be a cover. A solid cover. But that all he would be. As i've said i don't believe Jones, Smalling, Evans are suitable cover options.

The Neviller

I give up, really. You just seem to miss argument completely. I've never said we don't need to buy a new CB. In fact i've said quite the opposite and that's why i was posting it in this exact thread actually.
You just don't seem to get that 4 top CBs will never be a part of a really solid defensive unit. Chelsea was best because they had consistency. WE don;t need four first team CBs that wold not be good for a team, we need two strong CBs, that would be our main defenders, we need a third one, that would pretty much on par, maybe a bit worse. He will provide cover, rotation etc. And then we need forth choice that would be a cover. A solid cover. But that all he would be. As i've said i don't believe Jones, Smalling, Evans are suitable cover options.
I didn't say you did say that. Why are you menstruating?

This notion that you sign levels of players is weird. "Nah, we can't sign him, he's too good to be a back up". If players are available, gettable, affordable and happy to come, and play in an area you need a player in then you sign him. When did someone decide that your squad/back-up players categorically can't be as good as the ones you already have? Would you really turn down the option of signing a player because they're as good as the players you already have?

we need a third one, that would pretty much on par, maybe a bit worse
This. I don't get this. Why would you specify a player should be a bit worse? And you've then said the 4th one should be worse again. Why can they not be as good? This must be a FM build a squad by numbers things, where your back-up players are of a slightly lesser numerical value than the ones you start, and you play the 5* ones and buy 4* back-ups.

Last edited:

Lane

I didn't say you did say that. Why are you menstruating?
Cause yo keep writing stuff like "Going into a new season with just those three" and "The three we have isn't enough" which are extremely stupid arguments cause they are void and they are implying that i've said we don't need to add more CBs.
This. I don't get this. Why would you specify a player should be a bit worse? And you've then said the 4th one should be worse again. Why can they not be as good? This must be a FM build a squad by numbers things, where your back-up players are of a slightly lesser numerical value than the ones you start, and you play the 5* ones and buy 4* back-ups.
Because no team will be strong enough if they have to many players of similar level. Especially in the heart of defense. You need a consistent pairing, not a merry-go-round between 4-5 players to keep them all happy.
When United team had best defensive record in the league like around 2008, that the way we were built, not a 4 equally good CBs, but a great pairing in Vidic-Rio and covers.

The Neviller

Cause yo keep writing stuff like "Going into a new season with just those three" and "The three we have isn't enough" which are extremely stupid arguments cause they are void and they are implying that i've said we don't need to add more CBs.
Because no team will be strong enough if they have to many players of similar level. Especially in the heart of defense. You need a consistent pairing, not a merry-go-round between 4-5 players to keep them all happy.
When United team had best defensive record in the league like around 2008, that the way we were built, not a 4 equally good CBs, but a great pairing in Vidic-Rio and covers.
But you don't arbitrarily decide to buy lesser players. If a player is available who is as good as what you have, and the deal suits, you don't reject the opportunuty to sign him and go look for someone worse, purely because he's as good as the players you have and therefore can't be a part of a squad.

We have Evans, Smalling and Jones. Evans is our best centre back. The other two are at a similar level. If you need another one (and we agree we do) you don't deliberately turn down one equally as good as the others to sign a lesser one. You sign the better one if you can, pick one of the three to partner your best one (Evans) and allow your back-ups to try and fight for their place. That's what having a squad is all about, having good players capable of fitting in when needed, of first team quality, so that when one of your regular players is missing there is no noticeable drop off in quality. And the competiton of having your players know there is an equally good player waiting to take his place stops him from getting complacent. Competition for places lends to better performance. You don't deliberately sign lesser players if better ones are available to you.

NMF

We don't have a left footed central defender which could explain this, Van Gaal says they add balance to a team.

But still we can do better than Vermaelen.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
1) Rio-Vidic were at their peak then. Same can't be said about any of our current 3 CBs 2) We had cover in Brown and O'shea whom SAF trusted greatly to do job if needed. Plus we had young Evans and Pique around. If we are playing on all fronts including Europe, we should be having 4 CBs. I will like to keep these 3 AND add one more good CB with future in mind. Why? Because Jones is also a RB cover and can be deployed in midfield for some tactical games. Also, not totally convinced about Smalling at the moment to trust him as first choice.
Otherwise if you have to carry only 3 CBs you need players like Martinez and Mascherano who can be put there but then for that your playing style needs to be such that they don't get called into game that often as opposition doesn't see much of the ball.
No point in deliberating buying some 'only decent' defender just so that there is cover. Might as well give a youngster from academy chance in that case.

Lane

1) Rio-Vidic were at their peak then. Same can't be said about any of our current 3 CBs 2) We had cover in Brown and O'shea whom SAF trusted greatly to do job if needed. Plus we had young Evans and Pique around. If we are playing on all fronts including Europe, we should be having 4 CBs. I will like to keep these 3 AND add one more good CB with future in mind. Why? Because Jones is also a RB cover and can be deployed in midfield for some tactical games. Also, not totally convinced about Smalling at the moment to trust him as first choice.
Otherwise if you have to carry only 3 CBs you need players like Martinez and Mascherano who can be put there but then for that your playing style needs to be such that they don't get called into game that often as opposition doesn't see much of the ball.
No point in deliberating buying some 'only decent' defender just so that there is cover. Might as well give a youngster from academy chance in that case.
Then we need to by a good defenders on their peak and ship Evans, Jones, Smalling or some of them off. You nee to have 4 CBs in full, but you also need to have a prime pairing, a main one and cover. Not a 4 players on the same level.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Then we need to by a good defenders on their peak and ship Evans, Jones, Smalling or some of them off. You nee to have 4 CBs in full, but you also need to have a prime pairing, a main one and cover. Not a 4 players on the same level.
That we can handle later, right? As of now, none of these 3 are at peak. So get someone good and relatively young at around 25 (I am not interested in Vermaelen at this stage), see who of the 4 is best pair and use others at backup. If in 1-2 years, one of those feel they are not getting enough minutes and should like to continue elsewhere, we sell.

Lane

But you don't arbitrarily decide to buy lesser players. If a player is available who is as good as what you have, and the deal suits, you don't reject the opportunuty to sign him and go look for someone worse, purely because he's as good as the players you have and therefore can't be a part of a squad.

We have Evans, Smalling and Jones. Evans is our best centre back. The other two are at a similar level. If you need another one (and we agree we do) you don't deliberately turn down one equally as good as the others to sign a lesser one. You sign the better one if you can, pick one of the three to partner your best one (Evans) and allow your back-ups to try and fight for their place. That's what having a squad is all about, having good players capable of fitting in when needed, of first team quality, so that when one of your regular players is missing there is no noticeable drop off in quality. And the competiton of having your players know there is an equally good player waiting to take his place stops him from getting complacent. Competition for places lends to better performance. You don't deliberately sign lesser players if better ones are available to you.
No, you do. Exactly for cover. If you have 4 CBs all fighting for their place and getting similar game time, that would mean you won't have a solid consistent backbone and that will hurt the team.
As i've said Smalling, Evans are not youngsters, Jones is also quite experienced. So United either put faith in them or we need to see how can we offload them. It's no use to have strong 4 CBs when you are not clear on the main pairing.

The Neviller

So if you have a 9/10 and two 8/10, you can't sign a third 8/10 as your fourth centre back. Ideally you should have two 9's, an 8 and maybe a 7.

Who decided this was the way it should be? Who decreed that your third or fourth centre back aren't allowed to be as good as any of your others?

The crazy thing is, this has been raised in another centre back thread by another poster, so it's not just one person with this strange idea. Am I alone in thinking this arbitrary way of building a squad and deciding who you sign based on whether or not they're a bit worse than players in the same position in your team is a bit weird?

Lane

That we can handle later, right? As of now, none of these 3 are at peak. So get someone good and relatively young at around 25 (I am not interested in Vermaelen at this stage), see who of the 4 is best pair and use others at backup. If in 1-2 years, one of those feel they are not getting enough minutes and should like to continue elsewhere, we sell.
Evans is 26, Smalling is 25 this year. So they are either good enough for us, or not. I don't think any of them and Jones will be happy with a part time role. Fergie and Moyes tried to combat that with giving them games at RB, but i don't think that a good strategy. Maybe Jones can develop in RB, but i doubt that.

The Neviller

No, you do. Exactly for cover. If you have 4 CBs all fighting for their place and getting similar game time, that would mean you won't have a solid consistent backbone and that will hurt the team.
As i've said Smalling, Evans are not youngsters, Jones is also quite experienced. So United either put faith in them or we need to see how can we offload them. It's no use to have strong 4 CBs when you are not clear on the main pairing.
You really really don't. If you have 3, 1 better and the other 2 similar, you don't go looking for 1 a bit worse, rejecting better players. You sign the best players available, and then work them into your squad. And if you want a settled pairing you play your best 2, or your best 1 and the 1 from the other 3 that impresses you most in training. It's then up to these 2 to perform and keep their place, and the other 2 to impress you enough in training or when they get games, to displace 1 of the other 2.

You don't build a squad based on ratings and only allowing yourself a certain amount at a certain quality. You buy the best you can afford and who are available, to fit the role you need them to fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.