Those substitutions. Playing to the gallery?

simplyared

2 attacking players coming on and leaving 2 left on the pitch is not good tactics imo and is giving me a bad vibe. It's a gung ho reaction from our manager with half the game left to play. Far too big a gamble to take far too early in the game. Playing to the gallery imo. I'm worried!

Tarrou

2 attacking players coming on and leaving 2 left on the pitch is not good tactics imo and is giving me a bad vibe. It's a gung ho reaction from our manager with half the game left to play. Far too big a gamble to take far too early in the game. Playing to the gallery imo. I'm worried!
what does this mean?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Considering how much he talks about control it was odd. Panicking already?

Deery

Dreary
Thought it was mental myself to take Fred off if he never had a knock or something that is, it was something you’d see Ole do..

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Fergie tactics tbh. No problem for me.

Ixion

Bringing on Cavani and Sancho was a no brainer, Greenwood was anonymous and Fred poor so they can't complain. It could have been Rashford instead but you can't argue with bringing those two on.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I’ve seen Bruno play deeper for Portugal when he hasn’t been benched recently - funnily enough they’re struggled to get the most out of their talent too - wonder if there’s some common denominator there. Anyway, I thought bruno did okay deeper even if we did look completely open.

Chief123

I wouldn’t really call it Gung Ho.
He took out off Greenwood and Fred.

The only difference in shape was Bruno dropping into a deeper position. It wasn’t a huge gamble considering Newcastle were inclined to park the bus second half.

Tarrou

Keeping Ronaldo and Rashford on and also bringing on Cavani and Sancho..
we started with four attackers though

taking Fred off for an attacker was the unusual part, but he moved Bruno back to accomodate

the biggest difference was the fact he made two subs early and tried to radically change something, which we never saw under Ole

Hammondo

It destroyed our midfield, Newcastle had their best periods second half, because an Ole type lineup.

Deery

Dreary
we started with four attackers though

taking Fred off for an attacker was the unusual part, but he moved Bruno back to accomodate

the biggest difference was the fact he made two subs early and tried to radically change something, which we never saw under Ole
Putting Bruno back in midfield wasn’t a very clever idea Newcastle really should have won the cut through us maybe 3-4 times near the end of the second half, it just all seemed a bit reckless to me.

Didn’t Ole try that kinda craic at the start of the season as well and got exposed badly..

arnie_ni

I mean it worked. Bruno dropped into midfield and picked out a pass to dalot who played it into cavani to score.

I mean, what else do you want?

Tarrou

Putting Bruno back in midfield wasn’t a very clever idea Newcastle really should have won the cut through us maybe 3-4 times near the end of the second half, it just all seemed a bit reckless to me.
we were absolute crap and he tried something

I prefer that to absolute crap and not trying anything (under Ole)

Ole would wait until the 70th minute and swap Sancho for an attacker

and then bring Donny on with two minutes to go

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
did this need a thread?
cavani scored and sancho at least tried

The replaced players offered nothing yesterday

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Cavani was better than Greenwood. And Bruno performed better when pushed deep. So it sort of worked?

Aside from that, I have no idea why you'd think it was "playing to the gallery" as opposed to just making moves you disagreed with. It's not like a double substitution after that first half performance was in any way unreasonable.

Deery

Dreary
I think what it really did was highlight the need for another midfielder, maybe he was sending a message to the board before January..

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It absolutely wasn’t something you’d see Ole do. Did he ever make two subs at half time?
It’s probably bad so probably Ole.

Reminds me of 2019 when Boomers would say “Jeremy Corbyn” to anything negative and think they were Jim Davidson levels of hilarious

arnie_ni

First half they barely had any shots, second half they had loads.
If theres a stat for it, I'd imagine there wasn't much difference in the amount of times they got through our midfield in either half.

arnie_ni

Maybe we should push Leicester for Youri Tielemans would have been ideal yesterday as opposed to say a Declan Rice..
I don't know who or what we need all i know is I can't wait for the day we never have to see mcfred again

padzilla

Hipster
We desperately need quality in the middle of the pitch.
We are never going to control games with McFred.
If Klopp or Pep took over tomorrow the first thing they would be looking for would be quality in the engine room.

simplyared

did this need a thread?
cavani scored and sancho at least tried

The replaced players offered nothing yesterday
Yes worth a thread. Rangnick is supposed to be a tactition in modern day football. A front runner if you like. Yet we find ourselves one down against a team bottom or close to the bottom of the league and he panics. Already after half the game he throws his original plan out of the window. We're struggling down the left with Telles and he's got Luke Shaw on the bench. Shaw has had a drop in form, but hopefully our manager has sorted that through his psycologist or whatever and he's got Shaw fired up and raring to go. Knowing Shaw can give us the extra needed on the left flank he brings him on and replaces Telles and immediately we have added strength and more options forwards. Could well have been all that was needed at that stage.

simplyared

We desperately need quality in the middle of the pitch.
We are never going to control games with McFred.
If Klopp or Pep took over tomorrow the first thing they would be looking for would be quality in the engine room.
Not sure Klopp has an abundance of players in that category!

Deery

Dreary
Not sure Klopp has an abundance of players in that category!
Henderson, Fabinho are very good on the ball as well as maybe Chamberlain, they have Thiago too but he hasn’t really performed I’d say they aren’t lacking.

simplyared

Fergie tactics tbh. No problem for me.
SAF wouldn't have left a gaping hole in midfield. Playing Bruno further back is a bad option imo. The obvious change would have been Shaw for Telles who was having a nightmare. Would have given us more strength on the left flank.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I said at HT that that second half team looked like the final roll of the dice from a desperate manager.

Not what I was expecting from Rangnick. I’ve seen a few people who were super high on his appointment really become perturbed already after last night.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
Yes worth a thread. Rangnick is supposed to be a tactition in modern day football. A front runner if you like. Yet we find ourselves one down against a team bottom or close to the bottom of the league and he panics. Already after half the game he throws his original plan out of the window. We're struggling down the left with Telles and he's got Luke Shaw on the bench. Shaw has had a drop in form, but hopefully our manager has sorted that through his psycologist or whatever and he's got Shaw fired up and raring to go. Knowing Shaw can give us the extra needed on the left flank he brings him on and replaces Telles and immediately we have added strength and more options forwards. Could well have been all that was needed at that stage.
i broadly agree about Shaw, who’s been shit since the summer, but I’d imagine our manager is a better judge & I’ll give him a bit more time I was just happy he tried something rather than waiting

SAF often threw everything at getting a result
it’s why United got pasted under him too at times

simplyared

Henderson, Fabinho are very good on the ball as well as maybe Chamberlain, they have Thiago too but he hasn’t really performed I’d say they aren’t lacking.
Chamberlain is a squad player at best and certainly no better than we have. Thiago is a show pony and we've seen enough of them. Fabinho is average as a DM - does his job. Henderson is the only one I would take and that would be mainly because of his attitude on the pitch.