Three best teams in the World

Bondi77

It could easily be argued that the three best teams in the Premier League are also the three best in the world which gives even more credibility to a fourth place finish in the League.
This is probably the highest standard of football ever played in England with the added wealth of clubs in mid table and the other leagues really do not compare.

Abraxas

I don't think it gives 4th that much credibility given the resources we have put into this squad.

Also, at the risk of pointing our the obvious, the competition for 4th is not particularly hot. We are talking about West Ham, Spurs and Arsenal. If we were showing any kind of competency that should be relatively simple. Certainly not something to shout from the rooftops about just because those occupying the top 3 are class.

Bondi77

I don't think it gives 4th that much credibility given the resources we have put into this squad.

Also, at the risk of pointing our the obvious, the competition for 4th is not particularly hot. We are talking about West Ham, Spurs and Arsenal. If we were showing any kind of competency that should be relatively simple. Certainly not something to shout from the rooftops about just because those occupying the top 3 are class.
Did you watch the last Premier League round?

Abraxas

Did you watch the last Premier League round?
We've lost 4 games of football and drawn a couple and we're only just into double figures played. The reason we are not in the top 4 is because we are playing poorly, it doesn't have to be because this lot are great.

Yes Liverpool, City and Chelsea are very good and almost certainly going to comprise 3 of the top 4 when all is said and done but you're overegging things to state 4th is credible. Not within the context of this club and our resources it's not.

It's simply a minimum expectation. Not a travesty but let's not dress it up. The potential is there not just to sneak in the top 4 but to go better than that so to make this argument is weak.

Bondi77

We've lost 4 games of football and drawn a couple and we're only just into double figures played. The reason we are not in the top 4 is because we are playing poorly, it doesn't have to be because this lot are great.

Yes Liverpool, City and Chelsea are very good and almost certainly going to comprise 3 of the top 4 when all is said and done but you're overegging things to state 4th is credible. Not within the context of this club and our resources it's not.

It's simply a minimum expectation. Not a travesty but let's not dress it up. The potential is there not just to sneak in the top 4 but to go better than that so to make this argument is weak.
I was referring to the Hammers beating Liverpool in a cracking game highlighting the quality of the League.
Conte going to Spurs boasting the Kane Son duo could be a challenge as well as other teams that may find form.
Let us get to the nitty gritty of the Chmps League and we will see how the English teams fare and then we should see if the argument is weak or not.

Steve Bruce

I think people are over egging how good the football is right now.

I don't think the league is particularly strong. It's just the rest of Europe and football overall isn't as strong as it once was.

I think in 3 years time you'll see a big increase in standards as theres a lot of youngsters just waiting to step up.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

I don't think the league is particularly strong. It's just the rest of Europe and football overall isn't as strong as it once was.

I think in 3 years time you'll see a big increase in standards as theres a lot of youngsters just waiting to step up.
Those youngsters will all go where the money is. That's going to be England.

Paul_Scholes18

Not sure Liverpool is a top 3 side anymore. They used to be a few years ago.

Think Bayern, Chelsea, Man City and PSG are top 4.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not sure Liverpool is a top 3 side anymore. They used to be a few years ago.

Think Bayern, Chelsea, Man City and PSG are top 4.
Liverpool are better than PSG IMO. Chelsea have to prove themselves more as well.

Bondi77

Real and Barca do not have ten of the world's best players (or should I say bought) at the moment which is refreshing in itself and that has led to a balancing of the best teams around.
Still with Premier League games weekly and the pace it comes with and the hectic schedule of Cup games the rest of Europe still has an advantage when it comes to European games at seasons end.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I was referring to the Hammers beating Liverpool in a cracking game highlighting the quality of the League.
Conte going to Spurs boasting the Kane Son duo could be a challenge as well as other teams that may find form.
Let us get to the nitty gritty of the Chmps League and we will see how the English teams fare and then we should see if the argument is weak or not.
The crazy thing for me is when we played West Ham I thought we had a great 1st half and were clearly the better team. I thought we would win that match comfortably. The 2nd half was disappointing from both teams and we deserved the win. Anyway, two months later we get run over by Pool and they outplay Pool. How far we have fallen.

Bondi77

The crazy thing for me is when we played West Ham I thought we had a great 1st half and were clearly the better team. I thought we would win that match comfortably. The 2nd half was disappointing from both teams and we deserved the win. Anyway, two months later we get run over by Pool and they outplay Pool. How far we have fallen.
That is the beauty of a highly competitive league.

amolbhatia50k

They just won the Champions League, made the FA Cup final, and are leading the Premier League by 3 points. What more are they supposed to do?
Win the premier league as leading doesnt actually mean anything? Tuchel is doing a terrific job but I don't think a cup win makes them an elite team.

Camilo

There are always a lot of youngsters waiting to step up. They're always about the same as the lot before, just with less mental strength. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

wolvored

So if we win the 4th place trophy every season everything is rosy, and doesn't matter being spanked by the top 3 as they are the best?

Red Star One

Very difficult to tell apart from City, LFC, Chelsea, Bayern, Madrid, PSG. There’re differences in quality here and there but each of these teams could win against any other in a double leg tie. No doubt Premier League is relatively very strong and due to La Liga’s crisis undoubtedly PL has the highest reputation and level now.

Name Changed

weso26

The majority of the best players will move where the money is.

Giggzy P

I don't think the league is particularly strong
. It's just the rest of Europe and football overall isn't as strong as it once was.

Wait what? This is neither here or there. If the rest of Europe gets stronger, it will mean the Pl is weaker, and vice versa. So you could be right, if the rest of Europe gets stronger in 3 years, and the youngsters you talk about aren't playing in the Pl, we can revisit this thread.

Time is a funny thing, tables always turn, I remember a time prior to the formation of the PL, the Italian league was the biggest/Strongest, the PL is now the biggest.

The question is which are the 3 best teams in the world, not why?

1. Bayern- IMO the most balanced squad with a top-notch manager
2. Chelsea- I have them winning the league this season, the team is well organized and drilled, I never thought Tuchel was special, boy was I wrong.
3. Liverpool/ Madrid

Zen86

Get used to it. The growing financial disparity in football means the PL will likely be on top for the foreseeable future.

Hammondo

Probably the strongest the PL has been, mad competitive at the top with really good teams.

Does that mean 4th is more impressive? Not really as even if we got it we have still not been good.

Abraxas

I think you're lowering standards excessively. I'm not sure why. We know West Ham are a decent side, but is that really the argument? That outside the traditionally top sides the likes of West Ham and a few others are so good that 4th is deemed a good achievement?

I don't think that can be right given the resources behind the manager over a period of years relative to these other clubs. I would stand by that 4th is simply treading water. It is not a disaster as it keeps us in the money and in the top competition but it's a far cry from winning anything or punching our weight.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hard to decide #1 but top 4 is clearly City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Bayern. A huge tier drop until the next group. PSG has a bunch of big names but those 4 will hammer them in the business end of the season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
After Bayern, I have no idea. For once we have a large group of teams that are around the same level and all have strength and weaknesses that can make the difference depending on the opposition. So to me it's:

1- Bayern
2- Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid and PSG.

amolbhatia50k

A CL win does not make them an elite team? Rather bizarre take.
No because when they made it through an easy draw to meet a not-so-strong RM in the semi finals, nobody considered them an elite team, and no team becomes elite based on 3 football matches. League success is a better measure. Liverpool wouldn't have been elite had they beaten Bale inspired RM in the CL final either. It's their consistent excellence across 2 CL campaigns and 2 league campaigns (and maybe a 3rd now?) that showed their class, not one cup run. It's only the CL obsessed fanatics who overblow everything related to that competition into the stratosphere, whose take is bizarre.

tomaldinho1

Agreed. I’d actually say the overall quality is down quite considerably.

City/Pool from 2/3 seasons ago would beat their current teams.
Serie A is nowhere near where it was.
La Liga is barely recognisable.