Throw ins

Kostur

海尔的老板
Did anybody else pick this up today? I think today we've fecked up about 5-6 throw ins easily where we'd lose an easy ball, it's not like they were super-pressing us on those either, just looked like nobody gave a feck. It was so, so annoying.

I wonder if we actually train those during training sessions and I think I've just answered the question myself when I think about set pieces in general, which we obviously don't fecking train, neither defensive nor offensive ones.

Honestly though, how can you feck up such an easy part of the game like a throw in. I remember watching Cracovia Kraków during my internship train throw ins, it was a type of a drill where the players would have to feint a move and release themselves from the cover, they were using those yellow plastic guys but I think we could be doing that with our players given those dicks don't fecking move anyway and are as aggressive in their play as those yellow plastic dummies.

So, did anybody pick it up today or in previous games?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I noticed it early into the game because it looked like one of the Soton players handballed it. We got a throw and proceeded to lose it straight away.

Tell the truth, I can't remember a time we were any good at them. Maybe in Neville's era?

Kostur

海尔的老板
I noticed it early into the game because it looked like one of the Soton players handballed it. We got a throw and proceeded to lose it straight away.

Tell the truth, I can't remember a time we were any good at them. Maybe in Neville's era?
Do you mean good as in actually scoring some goals from long/cheeky throw ins or good as in not throwing it into opposing players like we were playing a fecking dodgeball?

Superunknown

Throw ins, corners, free kicks, goal kicks, the whole lot. We're very wasteful when we have the ball and are just a very casual team at times. I think this whole notion of "staying calm in possession" has been taken so far the other way that we are actually lazy when we have the ball, in lots of ways. I never get the feeling that we'll score unless it's a one-on-one with the keeper or an effort in a crowded box, or something along those lines.

I do question the technical elements of this team. Putting aside that they're part of a huuuuge football club and a big business, let's just strip everything back and look at them from the perspective of a functional football team. Our passing isn't great, neither is our movement, or crossing, or shooting, and we also make far too many basic defensive errors. These are real core and fundamental footballing problems. That's not to do with transfer policy or tactics. At this level, you should expect player of Manchester United to be looking dangerous from crosses or at least working the keeper a lot more than we currently are. Why is it so much easier for the opposition or other sides to create so many chances whereas it's a struggle for us? At times, it looks like it's taking a huge effort for the players to even carve one chance, let alone it being a realistic goal-scoring opportunity. That sort of stuff can be coached and it should be coached better than it currently is. Even basic things such as not giving away the ball from throw ins.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Do you mean good as in actually scoring some goals from long/cheeky throw ins or good as in not throwing it into opposing players like we were playing a fecking dodgeball?
The former, but the latter would certainly be nice.

I suppose 'good' throw-ins are all about making space for players to find. I can't say I've thought much about this but we do tend to throw it straight at players quite often.

We're obviously gash at corners too so it could be a movement issue.

MonkeysMagic

I honestly believe that we spend next to no time practicing dead ball situations. That can only be the reason why we are shockingly poor at executing even a modicum of danger for the opposition. The players just do not believe they will create anything and what follows merely confirms it. For a professional team that is unforgivable but there's a lot of mediocrity we have to contend with these players over last few years.

Sylar

This thread could be about any set piece thats on offer.
Or breaking down lower teams.
Or creating chances.
Or getting down the byline and cutting it back to a man in the middle.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I actually laughed today when McTominay passed the ball directly out of play while trying to volley it back to whoever took the throw in. Not because of Scott but because it was the third straight game where a United player managed to do that.

Valuedrug

Throw ins? We won’t be focusing on those for a while yet, mate.

This year it’s all about running. Next year maybe passing or shooting.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Throw ins are in essence about players being courageous to ask for the ball and for players to be moving to create space for themselves and others. Madness we cannot adress such an easy issue