Music TIDAL

Classical Mechanic

I'm kind of glad tbh. I have Spotify and was fearing that artists would be removing their content from it a lot more and moving to Tidal as it has that Jay-Z drive and coolness attached to it. From the people I know that have tried Tidal the so called ‘Enhanced sound quality’ isn’t very enhanced at all in reality, Not worth the extra £10 per month on top of Spotify anyways.
You need higher end Hi-Fi equipment to take advantage of it. I heard a report on BBC4 at the time of launch saying that the vast majority of people listen to music on equipment that it just wouldn't work on.

Loublaze

ATLien
Reading page 3 I could swear Loublaze is Jay Z.
Jigga (before the ultra corporate 'illuminati' Jay-Z) is one of my favorite rappers of all time. I don't really like him as a person anymore...love/hate. I wasn't in the bandwagon of hate for Tidal though.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Jigga (before the ultra corporate 'illuminati' Jay-Z) is one of my favorite rappers of all time. I don't really like him as a person anymore...love/hate. I wasn't in the bandwagon of hate for Tidal though.
One of the few justified bandwagons of hate, TIDAL - kill it with fire.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
http://uk.businessinsider.com/musicians-against-tidal-going-to-fail-2015-4?r=US

Musicians Against Tidal

Many notable artists who weren't on stage that day are now publicly speaking out about the ridiculous display of riches.

"I think they totally blew it by bringing out a bunch of millionaires and billionaires and propping them up onstage and then having them all complain about not being paid," Death Cab for Cutie singer Ben Gibbard said in a recent interview with The Daily Beast. "That’s why this thing is going to fail miserably."

"If I had been Jay Z, I would have brought out ten artists that were underground or independent and said, 'These are the people who are struggling to make a living in today’s music industry. Whereas this competitor streaming site pays this person 15 cents for X amount of streams, that same amount of streams on my site, on Tidal, will pay that artist this much.'"

Gibbard continued: "There was a wonderful opportunity squandered to highlight what this service would mean for artists who are struggling and to make a plea to people’s hearts and pocketbooks to pay a little more for this service that was going to pay these artists a more reasonable streaming rate. And they didn’t do it."

But while A-listers from Madonna to Rihanna were asked personally by Jay Z to join Tidal, many big musicians were left off the rapper's hit list, including Grammy-winning British indie rock band Mumford & Sons.

The band's front man, Marcus Mumford, told The Daily Beast in a separate interview earlier this month: "We wouldn’t have joined it anyway, even if they had asked. We don’t want to be tribal."

"We just want to play music, and I don’t want to align myself with Spotify, Beats, Tidal, or whatever," Mumford explained. "We want people to listen to our music in their most comfortable way, and if they’re not up for paying for it, I don’t really care."

Mumford, whose 2012 album "Babel" was the highest-selling debut of the year, agrees with Gibbard's sentiments that Jay Z's plea to make the rich richer wasn't exactly the best approach to consumers.

"I think smaller bands should get paid more for it, too. Bigger bands have other ways of making money, so I don’t think you can complain," Mumford added to The Daily Beast. "A band of our size shouldn’t be complaining. And when they say it’s artist-owned, it’s owned by those rich, wealthy artists."

Mumford & Sons guitarist Winston Marshall had a harsher stance, calling the celebrities involved with Tidal "new school f---ing plutocrats."

Singer Lily Allen has also spoken out against Tidal, saying it will turn people to piracy.

"I love Jay Z so much, but TIDAL is so expensive compared to other perfectly good streaming services," she tweeted to her 5.11 million followers earlier this month. "He’s taken the biggest artists & made them exclusive to TIDAL (am i right in thinking this ?), people are going to swarm back to pirate sites in droves sending traffic to torrent sites. Up and coming (not yet millionaires) artists are going to suffer as a result… my concern is that Tidal may set emerging artists back."

Music producer Steve Albini, who has worked on nearly 1,500 albums and wrote the widely circulated "The Problem With Music" in 1993, is also anti-Tidal.

"The for-pay services are deluding themselves by trying to establish a permanent monetization of something that’s in flux," Albini recently explained to Vulture. "The internet provides access to materials and things. Creating these little streaming fiefdoms where certain streaming services have certain artists and certain streaming services have other artists is a crippled use of the internet. If the internet has demonstrated anything over the years, it’s that it has a way of breaking limitations placed on its content."

In the wake of the negative press surrounding Tidal, including the recent departure of the service's CEO and 25 employees, Jay Z is still working hard to promote the streaming service.

After recent layoffs at the company, Jay Z and Jack White personally called customers to reassure fans.
That last bit :lol:

Last edited:

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
"Hello?"

"Uh Huh, it's ya boy!"

"Sorry, what?"

"Yea, uh, hollaaaaaaa"

"Holla."

"Throw ya diamonds to the sky, feel me?"

"I do."

"Thanks for subscribing to TIDAL man, we gonna change the world, make history. Be Icons."

"Yes?"

"Aight man, thanks again. Bye."

"Yes, good bye."

GBBQ

Hi you're through to Tidal Customer Service, my name is Jack White, how may I direct your call?

Seriously happy to see this falling on its arse. Mega rich celebrities trying to get richer in the name of 'new artists' and screwing over the fans in the process. Why not offer the best quality audio at a cheaper price than Spotify.

Code-CX

"Hello?"

"Uh Huh, it's ya boy!"

"Sorry, what?"

"Yea, uh, hollaaaaaaa"

"Holla."

"Throw ya diamonds to the sky, feel me?"

"I do."

"Thanks for subscribing to TIDAL man, we gonna change the world, make history. Be Icons."

"Yes?"

"Aight man, thanks again. Bye."

"Yes, good bye."

:lol:

PeteReDevil

iPete
I'm gonna ditch spotify for tidal. Just signed up for the trial 30 days, hooked my iPhone to my Marantz CD6003, to my headphone amp and HD600's. Just wow!

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I just signed up to a free trial to this, I'm interested in seeing the difference lossless audio makes. I'm using my laptop and Sennheiser Hd201s and don't notice much of a difference. How much would I need to be spending on headphones to notice?

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
I just signed up to a free trial to this, I'm interested in seeing the difference lossless audio makes. I'm using my laptop and Sennheiser Hd201s and don't notice much of a difference. How much would I need to be spending on headphones to notice?
I think lossless audio is more of a marketing gimmick. Audio-Technica M50x costs around 100 quid ($170 or so in the US) where I live. That should be good enough. If you have a MacBook it'll probably be good enough. Windows laptops I'm not sure about. Your smartphone will probably have a better audio chip than most Windows laptops.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
If anything, it'll just be a placebo effect with new headphones, doubt you'll actually hear any difference between V0 mp3 for instance and 16bit FLAC. And absolutely sure of that between 16bit and 24bit FLAC.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
How do Tidal justify their extortionate prices?

I've trialed all top streaming services and countinue to do so 18 months on (why pay when I can just create a new email address?).

In my opinion Spotify is far away the best platform when it comes to ease of use, features and playlists to chose from. Apple Music is decent and Tital is pretty awful unless you favour lossless audio.

Marcelinho87

Signed up to the 90 day trial yesterday so seeing how it goes.

Only offers 30 days via the app but it is 90 if you do it on the website and click the banner at the top!

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
https://www.musicbusinessworldwide....ms-to-bulk-up-kanye-west-and-beyonce-numbers/

TIDAL ACCUSED OF DELIBERATELY FAKING KANYE WEST AND BEYONCÉ STREAMING NUMBERS

In March 2016, the firm claimed that Kanye West’s The Life Of Pablo, a six-week exclusive on its platform, had been streamed 250m times in just 10 days.

At the same time, TIDAL claimed that its platform had surpassed 3m subscribers.

These numbers meant that, on average, every single TIDAL subscriber would have had to be playing the Kanye album over eight times a day.

Similar suspicions were triggered by the success of Beyonce’s record-breaking Lemonade a couple of months later.

TIDAL claimed that Lemonade was streamed 306m times on its platform in its first 15 days post-release.

Stats like this led Norwegian newspaper Dagens Næringsliv to investigate in January 2017 – and uncover documents which, it said, suggested that TIDAL had been deliberately inflating its subscriber figures.

This report was lend credence by data from trusted music industry research firm Midia in the same month, which estimated that TIDAL’s subscriber base actually only included 1m people worldwide.

Now, DN has run an update – following more than a year of journalistic digging. And it’s an absolute jaw-dropper.

Its central accusation: ‘Beyoncé’s and Kanye West’s listener numbers on TIDAL have been manipulated to the tune of several hundred million false plays… which has generated massive royalty payouts at the expense of other artists.’

I’m more surprised anyone’s listening to anything on TIDAL at all.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
https://www.musicbusinessworldwide....ms-to-bulk-up-kanye-west-and-beyonce-numbers/

TIDAL ACCUSED OF DELIBERATELY FAKING KANYE WEST AND BEYONCÉ STREAMING NUMBERS

I’m more surprised anyone’s listening to anything on TIDAL at all.
I’m probably the only person I know that uses TIDAL but I have my reasons. Firstly the higher bitrate sounds fantastic on my £12 Bluetooth 2.0 headphones.

Secondly, it’s obviously really great to be able to give something back to these artists.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I’m probably the only person I know that uses TIDAL but I have my reasons. Firstly the higher bitrate sounds fantastic on my £12 Bluetooth 2.0 headphones.

Secondly, it’s obviously really great to be able to give something back to these artists.
I think Kanye and Beyoncé are pretty hard up tbf.

Classical Mechanic

Thought the higher bitrate is useless on the vast majority of common audio equipment?

As for the story, is this not tantamount to fraud, or just simply fraud?

Last edited:

Borden

The level of greed is fecking unreal.

Also look at some of the comments in the comment section of that article. TIDAL taking a page out of Putin's playbook?

Last edited: