Tifo football: What's Wrong With Manchester United's Defence?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I thought that it was one of their weaker ones. Nothing new for those who have seen us play this season or even watched one of their previous videos.

crossy1686

career ending
For anyone that can't be bothered to watch the video, the tl:dr is:

We press like a bunch of drunk 12 year old's which pulls the whole back line out of position when they try to fill the gaps made by the forward line. Suggestion is we don't actually have a pressing plan.

LInkash

PS. This lack of pressing started happening towards the back end of last season so all our problem aren't due to Ronaldo.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
They should have offered a few more options for how they can fix the problem other than Maguire needs to get his confidence back.

DickDastardly

Maguire’s got a moustache and Shaw’s gone from the buzzcut to Pep level of bald
That would be my first change as a new manager!

Make them look scary. A scary defense!

Harry growing a solo Zapata stash.
Varane with a mohawk
Shaw bald.
Wan Bissaka braided rapper style with a teardrop tattoo.

And get that fake tattoo sleeves on them. With anchors and barbed wire. Feck that would be cool as feck.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
TIFO? That the one with Seb Stafford Bloor? What a pretentious tughead he is...

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Meh.

When I told people about why Greenwood went in to press both Van Dijk and Robertson when he is a RW who should only be targeting Robertson at LB then people got overly defensive.

When the same Channel TIFO makes videos for months about why we are getting cut through the middle so easily then no one chooses to believe it, because of what they regard as the cause to that problem :lol:

Nothing new here.

Last edited:

stevoc

No doubt TIFO will know what the problem is and how to fix it.

Kostov

We press like a bunch of drunk 12 year old's which pulls the whole back line out of position when they try to fill the gaps made by the forward line. Suggestion is we don't actually have a pressing plan.
We don't, anyone with a sane piece of brain would have already seen it. Amateurs basically.

MUFC OK

That's completely true.

Utd this season - tried pressing, no idea how to do it. Ole and these coaches have no idea how to play on the front foot.

Oranges038

The real problem is that they don't play as a unit to defend, all over the pitch it's every man for himself. This is why you see AWB making stupid runs forward to press balls he has no chance of getting too, it's also why you see Maguire legging it into midfield to tackle players from behind and give away stupid fouls and you regularly see him and Lindelof chasing players down the edge of the box because Shaw and AWB are no where to be seen, individuals just make stupid decsions to go chasing the ball.

The way I see it is this.

The keeper does his thing - which is wait on the line to make saves - has zero control over his back 4.
The CB pair are always too far apart - they don't play off each other and work together as a pair, they also don't control the players in front of them to make sure they are covering space and blocking off passing lines.
The full backs are brain dead and lazy - too often caught out of position.
Midfield 2 in front - end up just chasing the ball as individuals right and left and leave the centre exposed for simple balls down the middle to break right through. That is because the defense is too often too deep, the forwards are too high and the midfield 2 are generally just caught in the middle trying to cover nearly half the pitch on their own at times.
Bruno - runs around like a border collie chasing the ball every where.
Forwards - just haven't a clue how to press of cover off passing lanes. Too many times it's a half arsed token jog half press which is worse than no press.

Conor

Meh.

When I told people about why Greenwood went in to press both Van Dijk and Robertson when he is a RW who should only be targeting Robertson at LB then people got overly defensive.

When the same Channel TIFO makes videos for months about why we are getting cut through the middle so easily then no one chooses to believe it, because of what they regard as the cause to that problem :lol:

Nothing new here.
Clearly nobody is at your level intellectually. Maybe give Woodward a call?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
That video doesnt really give reasons for the huge drop off in defensive form this season - I know some say this goes back further than that but for me there has been a clear drop this season for these reasons:

1. Fatigued and unfit players - in particular Maguire, Shaw and Fred have been much worse this season than last. All went to summer tournament finals with little preseason and 2 were rushed back from injury (as was McTominay). This is exacerbated by lack of rotation and several played being overplayed.

2. An attempt from Ole to play a more attacking style has failed - early in the season Ole tried several different midfield partnerships before reverting to McFred who are out of form themselves.

3. De Gea is not as good as Henderson at communicating with the defence in front of him, he's been on top form with the shot stopping but always lacked organisational skills.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No doubt TIFO will know what the problem is and how to fix it.
:lol: They’re the step above forum essay posting nerds. So naturally they know even less

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That video doesnt really give reasons for the huge drop off in defensive form this season - I know some say this goes back further than that but for me there has been a clear drop this season for these reasons:

1. Fatigued and unfit players - in particular Maguire, Shaw and Fred have been much worse this season than last. All went to summer tournament finals with little preseason and 2 were rushed back from injury (as was McTominay). This is exacerbated by lack of rotation and several played being overplayed.

2. An attempt from Ole to play a more attacking style has failed - early in the season Ole tried several different midfield partnerships before reverting to McFred who are out of form themselves.

3. De Gea is not as good as Henderson at communicating with the defence in front of him, he's been on top form with the shot stopping but always lacked organisational skills.
With have always been absolutely gash defensively outside of parking the bus. I'm amazed by the fact that so many managers still don't understand that you need to run at McFred, they are glorified saloon doors.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

It's explained in their other videos about United this season.

We sure let in goals last season but it's nowhere near as bad as this season where we are letting 4 in by Leicester, 5 by Liverpool (all within 50mins), 2 by City who were playing with a cigar afterwards because we all decided to sit back (there's a tactical reason for this) and to not get demolished again. Even in the CL - teams like Young Boys and Atalanta are scoring 2 goals vs us in matches with ease and usually before we score a goal because they are cutting through us too easily.

Players are all over the place worse than before. Wan Bissaka is pressing at RW more so than ever this season. Shaw can't ever seem to pick the players making runs behind him - again because the opposition are making runs and cutting through us with ease. As explained in the video, Maguire is now having to run and react to the problems which is not normally how he plays to his strengths. Bruno fernandes goes to press further up the pitch (a reason for this also) to the point that people think we play 424 - showing why in a 424 its so easy to cut through the middle of us.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
With have always been absolutely gash defensively outside of parking the bus. I'm amazed by the fact that so many managers still don't understand that you need to run at McFred, they are glorified saloon doors.
Defence was an issue even last season but its undoubtedly been worse this season and there has to be reasons for that

McFred have not been on form this season but also they played a minority of our games so silly to blame them - I dont think we would have conceeded as many goals if they had both been fit and available all season

MasterCode

I used to be subscribed to this channel since back when it was Umaxit football. It is now honestly one of the worst channels in the YouTube football world. Parsing conjecture as expert opinion for naive people to just click and parrot. I'm all for opinions I just make sure to tell people "IMO". This channel continuously makes baseless declarations that people just seem to get suckered into video after video.

Only thing that's reliable from them nowadays is stats of potential targets, thats it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Defence was an issue even last season but its undoubtedly been worse this season and there has to be reasons for that

McFred have not been on form this season but also they played a minority of our games so silly to blame them - I dont think we would have conceeded as many goals if they had both been fit and available all season
The defense isn't worse, they are run at more easily because the current set up isn't meant to protect McFred. It's actually something that we saw in previous seasons in a similar fashion and the solution was always to sit deeper and don't give McFred a large area to cover, they can't do it and never have.

KingCavani

It's ridiculous this channel ever survived it's "near post myth" video.

It actually received acclaim despite never once addressing the real reason why it's imperative to cover the near post above anything else - It's so much easier for the striker to score there if left uncovered. They just kept mentioning how they have to cover the whole goal while ignoring that the point is to force the striker into the most difficult attempt, which you do by covering the god damn near post.

It was a total embarrassment.

Pughnichi

It’s common to hear how CBs are calm knowing they have a good keeper behind them.

can you imagine being a defender and playing behind McFred?

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I used to be subscribed to this channel since back when it was Umaxit football. It is now honestly one of the worst channels in the YouTube football world. Parsing conjecture as expert opinion for naive people to just click and parrot. I'm all for opinions I just make sure to tell people "IMO". This channel continuously makes baseless declarations that people just seem to get suckered into video after video.

Only thing that's reliable from them nowadays is stats of potential targets, thats it.
Agree massively with you.

Although I have never felt tifo offered anything more deep than a basic narrative.

The fact that it's now tied to the Athletic just kills it even more.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The defense isn't worse, they are run at more easily because the current set up isn't meant to protect McFred. It's actually something that we saw in previous seasons in a similar fashion and the solution was always to sit deeper and don't give McFred a large area to cover, they can't do it and never have.
Even if that is true, the defence themselves are playing much worse - Maguire and Shaw in particular have been a level below last season for the reasons I outlined above

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It's explained in their other videos about United this season.

We sure let in goals last season but it's nowhere near as bad as this season where we are letting 4 in by Leicester, 5 by Liverpool (all within 50mins), 2 by City who were playing with a cigar afterwards because we all decided to sit back (there's a tactical reason for this) and to not get demolished again. Even in the CL - teams like Young Boys and Atalanta are scoring 2 goals vs us in matches with ease and usually before we score a goal because they are cutting through us too easily.

Players are all over the place worse than before. Wan Bissaka is pressing at RW more so than ever this season. Shaw can't ever seem to pick the players making runs behind him - again because the opposition are making runs and cutting through us with ease. As explained in the video, Maguire is now having to run and react to the problems which is not normally how he plays to his strengths. Bruno fernandes goes to press further up the pitch (a reason for this also) to the point that people think we play 424 - showing why in a 424 its so easy to cut through the middle of us.
I haven't seen any of their other videos - just the question of why we have conceeded so many more goals this season is something I've been thinking about

As usual there is not one reason but a toxic combination of factors coming together

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We could have just the one TIfo thread, really rather than a new one on each topic. Their videos are pretty well made and I do watch them once in awhile, but am I mistaken or their insight has really dropped in recent times with a greater focus on 'comedy'? Feels like they used to better.

Lentwood

Our Sunday league team know that if you don't press and you play a high-line, you're in big trouble.

I freely admit, I have always advocated giving Ole the chance to test his mettle with a good squad, after what I saw as adequate progress with weaker players.

However, I was absolutely shocked, flabbergasted, in complete disbelief at the Wolves (A) performance. I could not believe that a professional football team had set-up that way. I knew then that that game in isolation was evidence Solskjaer doesn't have what it takes to play a progressive style.

I would call it amateur, but I have played under some good amateur coaches who would have been embarrassed by that

Bestietom

There is no one attacking the ball when there is a corner against us. They are all watching their man, and somebody running and jumping is going to win that ball in the air.
We as schoolboys always had someone on the front and back to attack the ball when it is pinged in.