g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Time for a new captain.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Give to Cavani. We gave it to Maguire when he joined.
Wait a second. The rule is who comes last in summer window. So lets see who will sign first; Cavani or Telles.
And when i think about it, Cavani can't be our captain. He was already that. The second rule of Ole's captaincy is to give it to someone who has never been captain.

KcB32

What's the excuse for this level of defending, not once but twice?
That's up there with the worst plays I've ever seen from a Premier League defender. Poor clearance attempt, awful header attempt to De Gea, then literally pulls Shaw off the clearance. He then follows it up by gifting Spurs a second goal when all he had to do was stand in front of the set piece for 3 seconds. Some thought we were getting the next VVD when we actually got the next Phil Jones.

LJJT

There’s no one else other than De Gea and you can’t have keeper as captain. Sadly reverting back to reality there are no leaders. Smalling if he comes back in to the fold but what does that say about us

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We spent £130m on Maguire and Wan-Bissaka. We could have got twice player for half the price if we shopped abroad.

That 2019 “Brexit fc” window was absolutely disastrous.

He needs dropping. Give me Smalling & Lindelof, or Bailly. Bruno can have the captaincy, he’s the only one who seems to be somewhat of a leader.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
We spent £130m on Maguire and Wan-Bissaka. We could have got twice player for half the price if we shopped abroad.

That 2019 “Brexit fc” window was absolutely disastrous.

He needs dropping. Give me Smalling & Lindelof, or Bailly. Bruno can have the captaincy, he’s the only one who seems to be somewhat of a leader.
Youth courage success

RRCE

i obviously have no idea what happens behind the scenes, but from what can be seen Maguire is no captain. To begin with, he certainly doesn’t lead by example. He’s generally been terrible this season. Today’s performance was as bad as I’ve seen from a United center back. Next, he doesn’t do anything to lift the spirits or performances of his teammates. Rather, he seems to hang his head. Finally, I hate that he didn’t speak after the match. He should have stood up for his teammates and taken the heat off of them, while accepting responsibility for his own dire performance. By doing so, he would have also taken some heat off of Ole. He hid after the match, just like he did during it. Liverpool got smashed today - who spoke afterwards? VVD. Shameful from Maguire.

Bruno should be captain.

Cloud7

A player that came up through the academy and has been a united fan all his life. A live wire in the attack who runs non stop and leaves his all out on the field.

The time has come for our new captain, J Lingz.

Aretak

Yes, this. You do need leaders on the pitch and in the dressing room but someone can be a leader without an armband, and conversely, a piece of textile doesn't magically turn someone into a man worth looking up to.
I agree with this, but I don't think it tells the whole story. Whilst I think having a "great" captain is less important than many think, having an outright bad one can potentially be a real negative. If the manager picks a player who the squad (or the majority of it) doesn't feel deserves it, that could easily lead to resentment. It may largely be a symbolic role, but humans will be humans and jealousy and a lack of rationality are extremely common. For the record, I have no idea what anybody at Manchester United thinks about Harry Maguire as a leader or otherwise.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
That's up there with the worst plays I've ever seen from a Premier League defender. Poor clearance attempt, awful header attempt to De Gea, then literally pulls Shaw off the clearance. He then follows it up by gifting Spurs a second goal when all he had to do was stand in front of the set piece for 3 seconds. Some thought we were getting the next VVD when we actually got the next Phil Jones.
Harsh on Jones. He actually had a few good games especially under LVG

Water Melon

A player that came up through the academy and has been a united fan all his life. A live wire in the attack who runs non stop and leaves his all out on the field.

The time has come for our new captain, J Lingz.
Bless ya! At least this made me chuckle after the shitshow present that I got for my birthday yesterday.

On a side note, I do agree that Bruno should be the captain. Maguire is just a calamity and coward.

TehRed

Am I the only one who thinks Rashford could be worth a shot? He's doing a lot of good off the pitch, leading by example there. He's a fan as well as a player. Maybe he could be given a shot to lead by example on the pitch too.

Zlatans Knee

Youth courage success
Whilst I agree with you who could have foreseen that they would be as shit as they are turning out to be? I remember the excitement in here when we signed Maguire and the same for AWB. Are they really that bad or are we somehow making them worse? Even Lindelof and Bailly have turned out to be far worse than anyone could have imagined. The same could be said of Shaw to a certain extent although that injury killed him off. Who do we blame for this? How can they ALL turn out to be rubbish?
I think this is where it becomes obvious that we need a DoF because clearly we can't trust the manager and we definitely can't trust Woodward.

Bondi77

Give it to Pogba as he is such an inspiration
He values posession highly, he always defends well when we are under pressure and we all see it in his demeanour that he will give everything to make the club great again.

Levenstein

Bruno or Fred from current options. They stand for the players and really want to win games in this shirt.

Strelok

i obviously have no idea what happens behind the scenes, but from what can be seen Maguire is no captain. To begin with, he certainly doesn’t lead by example. He’s generally been terrible this season. Today’s performance was as bad as I’ve seen from a United center back. Next, he doesn’t do anything to lift the spirits or performances of his teammates. Rather, he seems to hang his head. Finally, I hate that he didn’t speak after the match. He should have stood up for his teammates and taken the heat off of them, while accepting responsibility for his own dire performance. By doing so, he would have also taken some heat off of Ole. He hid after the match, just like he did during it. Liverpool got smashed today - who spoke afterwards? VVD. Shameful from Maguire.

Bruno should be captain.
Agreed.

At this rate I'd drop him and play whoever is fit and not Lindelof. And of course he doesn't deserve the armband. Just give it to Bruno.

meamth

I can't change the captain after I confirmed the captain before the start of the season!

How can I fix this?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Maguire belongs nowhere near the captaincy and will probably be added to the deadwood list once we inevitably change manager. His defending for the first and second goals was amateurish and slapstick yesterday. Sick to death of the bloke, and we’re unlucky he didn’t get a custodial sentence in the summer.

POF

According to the journalists on Twitter, Shaw was the only player who was willing to talk after the game...which sort of seems like a job for your Captain.

Here's Shaw's comments, Spoilered for length:

"Manchester United shouldn't lose in this manner. It really hurts, it's embarrassing and we've let a lot of people down. We've let ourselves down and the staff down."

"It was a lack of concentration and then a mistake, another mistake, another mistake. We switched off. It really hurts.

"We need to look in the mirror because we are nowhere near it at the moment. Maybe it's lucky that we've got a break now

"When we went down to 10 men maybe we gave up, there wasn't that character on the pitch. We were too quiet and naive. There were many mistakes, we need to do more.

"It's embarrassing. I was honestly embarrassed on the pitch. We need a long hard look at ourselves."
These comments really do my head in. "We gave up. We didn't show character. We switched off. I was embarrassed."

Rather than talk about it, why don't they just not give up, try showing some character and don't switch off. Then you won't be embarrassed!

It's just worthless soundbites.

Dr Fink

Yes, he’s having a bad spell, players have them. What ever happened to loyalty and standing by your man? Particularly after the Greek incident. I’m old school so I stand by him. Yes, he needs dropping. Thoughts on a Lindelof/Bailly partnership? Exactly, the lesser of two evils.

LARulz

An overstated function. This fascination with captaincy on this site is annoying to be frank. I blame the fantastic footballer Roy Keane.
The function of a captain is to set an example. They don't have to be the loudest or necessarily the best but be an example to the rest the follow. Someone who gives his best and never lets his standards drop. Someone the rest of the team admire.

I look at our squad and nobody fits that. Maybe DDG due to service and the fact he kept us relevant for a few years longer

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Bruno should be captain, though I think it'll go to his head abit like Rooney where he felt he alone has to take on the world.

CG1010

Has to be Bruno I think... no other real option in an otherwise very young team. But probably not the best time to strip him off captaincy, that will devastate him further. The club needs to support him at the time when nothing is going right for him.

dogwithabone

We could really do with a Diego Costa type asshole.
Bang on. I wouldn’t even mind us signing Costa. Somewhere on that pitch we need a real wind up merchant. We are so easy to play against, so soft. Look at Martial‘s sending off, he literally patted him on the cheek, that’s all he did. Someone like Costa would have at least made it a proper elbow. I’m not condoning violent play but just the sheer nature of the offence is pathetically soft and it’s us to a tee.

Cloud7

Bless ya! At least this made me chuckle after the shitshow present that I got for my birthday yesterday.

On a side note, I do agree that Bruno should be the captain. Maguire is just a calamity and coward.
Happy belated mate! Sorry that that was what you had to experience on your birthday.

Bruno has shown good leadership qualities thus far, but I feel like we should not make a player that just joined, the captain, which is what we did with Maguire as well.

Water Melon

Happy belated mate! Sorry that that was what you had to experience on your birthday.

Bruno has shown good leadership qualities thus far, but I feel like we should not make a player that just joined, the captain, which is what we did with Maguire as well.
Thanks! That was some special present from the boys alright. A captain should lead by example imo, whereas Maguire does not seem to be a role model on the pitch (could not care less what they do off it.) Bruno seems to be a leader, though.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
The function of a captain is to set an example. They don't have to be the loudest or necessarily the best but be an example to the rest the follow. Someone who gives his best and never lets his standards drop. Someone the rest of the team admire.

I look at our squad and nobody fits that. Maybe DDG due to service and the fact he kept us relevant for a few years longer
These are professionals, not high schoolers. I think you as a supporter are attaching your own beliefs into the symbolism of the captaincy, it makes you feel better to see this ethos carried out. Like these footballers aren't looking around the club and saying "gosh, if only we had better leadership then I'd feel so much better about my football". It's not useless but I feel people like you overstate the function of it in football.

Rolaholic

If true, our unofficial captain shows more balls and responsibility than our actual one

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Has to be Bruno. Maguire being captain makes me feel sick. The guy is completely spineless.

KcB32

Harsh on Jones. He actually had a few good games especially under LVG
Fair point. To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing the Jones-Smalling partnership after the dross our in-favor CBs have been serving up week after week.

ICHM

Maguire as captain is a joke gone bad.

Maybe Rashford should have it, not 100% on Fernandes needing any more sh@t on his shoulders.