Title Race 22/23

Skills

Snitch
9 behind Arsenal. Is it on?

They lose 3 in a row (something they've done 4x in the last 4 seasons) it could really get spicy. They've got Spurs then us next.

Giggs' right foot

It would be on, had we gotten a 9 and another midfielder in the summer. Really can't see us having the depth to be in a title race in May, let alone come March.

CM

We're playing good stuff at the moment but it's still premature to be speaking about us in the context of the title fight. City and Arsenal are our next two league games and we've got a huge centre forward shaped hole that needs to be filled before the end of the month.

If we come out of the next two league matches with 6 points, by all means, but I still think that's unlikely.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
If we win the next 2 I’ll start to believe. We’ll be done with City and Arse home and away at the 19 game mark while those two wouldn’t have faced each other at all.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Bit premature. Man. City have had their cigars out at Old Trafford in recent times so you need to get something off them otherwise 2nd will just sail off into the distance.

Man. United are back winning the regulation games with relative ease so you're in a very good spot for comfortable top 4 finish now. That looked miles off after Brentford away.

I actually think you're in a similar place to Arsenal 12 months ago so that's the rate of progression.

BorisManUtd

9 behind Arsenal. Is it on?

They lose 3 in a row (something they've done 4x in the last 4 seasons) it could really get spicy. They've got Spurs then us next.
Last time Spurs lost to Arsenal at home in PL was 9 years ago but they look such a mess that I wouldn't be surprised to see them get embarassed.

On United, probably too early and too far away, Arsenal still look favourites being 1st and then it's all about if City can challenge them.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Granted different circumstances but we’ve been 10pts behind at Christmas before and chased down Newcastle to win the league.

“And I’ll tell you something, I’d love it if we beat them - love it!”
:devil:

Skills

Snitch
Bit premature. Man. City have had their cigars out at Old Trafford in recent times so you need to get something off them otherwise 2nd will just sail off into the distance.

Man. United are back winning the regulation games with relative ease so you're in a very good spot for comfortable top 4 finish now. That looked miles off after Brentford away.

I actually think you're in a similar place to Arsenal 12 months ago so that's the rate of progression.
This is actually why I'm confident going into that game. It's a derby, we're overdue one.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We're not winning the league FFS

Title race will be interesting come 10pm Thursday though, if City go 5 points behind with Arsenal they'll be getting worried. They then play us before Arsenal play Spurs away and if City beat us the gap will be down to 2

charlenefan

This is actually why I'm confident going into that game. It's a derby, we're overdue one.
I'm looking forward to seeing how we do in these big games now we have obviously the best CM in the world Casemiro in midfield for us. Varane missed most of the big games in the shambles of last season as well so hopefully he's fit for these games as well

Zen

If Man City weren't in the middle of United and Arsenal, would people be so against this wild belief? I genuinely don't see Arsenal as being that much better than us, despite a 9 point difference... but I guess the games that's going to decide that is coming up soon.

charlenefan

If Man City weren't in the middle of United and Arsenal, would people be so against this wild belief? I genuinely don't see Arsenal as being that much better than us, despite a 9 point difference... but I guess the games that's going to decide that is coming up soon.
Man City are obviously the main reason yes but also we're 9 points off the top. If we had recent pedigree for challenging for titles then the hope would be there but the best we've managed in the last 10 years is 2 long off 1st place 2nd place finishes

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
1-1-1 the last 3 and the loss came when the wheels were off.

Siorac

If it's too early to say we're out then we're in.
It isn't too early to say we're out though. We won't win the league. If we hold on to third, I'll be absolutely delighted.

Skills

Snitch
We're not winning the league FFS

Title race will be interesting come 10pm Thursday though, if City go 5 points behind with Arsenal they'll be getting worried. They then play us before Arsenal play Spurs away and if City beat us the gap will be down to 2
Not really a fan of that scenario. I see it as

Spurs beat Arsenal, United beat City = Arsenal 44 points, City 37 Points, United 38 points after 17 games (assuming City draw vs Chelsea)

United beat Arsenal, City draw vs Spurs = Arsenal 44 points, City 38 points, United 41 points after 18 games.

Now that's when it gets exciting.

Kaos

Like others have already said, if we get results against City and Arsenal then I'll entertain it.

But I'm still not entirely convinced top 4 is in the bag either. Think not signing a striker can end up hurting us in the business end of the season.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
You're just coming off a run of incredibly easy games. Much harder fixtures will soon come.
In reality you've got very poor squad depth, and so has Arsenal, ultimately there is no doubt City will end up winning the league, while top 4 will be a good result for you.
Ten Hag is doing a good job, as he would, but let's revisit this and feel the mood after you've been beaten comprehensively by City, shall we?

charlenefan

Not really a fan of that scenario. I see it as

Spurs beat Arsenal, United beat City = Arsenal 44 points, City 37 Points, United 38 points after 17 games (assuming City draw vs Chelsea)

United beat Arsenal, City draw vs Spurs = Arsenal 44 points, City 38 points, United 41 points after 18 games.

Now that's when it gets exciting.
If that happens then I'll be a believer:lol:

charlenefan

You're just coming off a run of incredibly easy games. Much harder fixtures will soon come.
In reality you've got very poor squad depth, and so has Arsenal, ultimately there is no doubt City will end up winning the league, while top 4 will be a good result for you.
Ten Hag is doing a good job, as he would, but let's revisit this after you've been beaten by City, shall we?
we've only had easy games because pre World Cup we played all the hard ones, it's not like we've moonwalked into this position without playing anyone of note

Zen

Man City are obviously the main reason yes but also we're 9 points off the top. If we had recent pedigree for challenging for titles then the hope would be there but the best we've managed in the last 10 years is 2 long off 1st place 2nd place finishes
And what pedigree of keeping leads(to even 4th at times) do Arsenal have in those last 10 years? I'll change my opinion in a few weeks depending on results! But the Europa shit doesn't help, I'd quite happily make that disappear, but at least we'll know where we sit truly by the time that returns.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Like others have already said, if we get results against City and Arsenal then I'll entertain it.

But I'm still not entirely convinced top 4 is in the bag either. Think not signing a striker can end up hurting us in the business end of the season.
Fulham, Brighton and Brentford could pull something magical out of the bag.

charlenefan

And what pedigree of keeping leads(to even 4th at times) do Arsenal have in those last 10 years? I'll change my opinion in a few weeks depending on results! But the Europa shit doesn't help, I'd quite happily make that disappear, but at least we'll know where we sit truly by the time that returns.
well none, which is why no one believes they'll win it

Dash247

I just know that we will beat Arsenal if no one else. Even when we have the worst of the seasons, we end up beating them lately.

charlenefan

I just know that we will beat Arsenal if no one else. Even when we have the worst of the seasons, we end up beating them lately.
we haven't beaten them at their ground since Ole's caretaker run and that was in the FA Cup before they promptly beat us in the league a few weeks later

the_cliff

we haven't beaten them at their ground since Ole's caretaker run and that was in the FA Cup before they promptly beat us in the league a few weeks later
If we line up like Newcastle did today I fancy our chances. Bruno finding Rashford on the break in this form would be inevitable the way they're playing...

On the 'Title Race', If we get Felix and beat City, Arsenal then we're in it. There's a very small chance of that happening, however.

charlenefan

If we line up like Newcastle did today I fancy our chances. Bruno finding Rashford on the break in this form would be inevitable the way they're playing...
tbh we've got the team now where we shouldn't feel the need to play defensive when we go to tougher opponents, I don't think that's how ETH wants us to play either. I expect he'll set us up in both the upcoming league games to try and play our own game for better or worse

doomza

Too hard to call at the moment. Arsenal still have City twice which make it interesting. Think we could possibly overtake them if they have a bit of a collapse but it's hard to see City not kicking on as well.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I can't even bring myself to believe we have a real shot and we're top of the table and 8 points clear. If you think you're in it 9 points behind us, I wish I had your optimism!

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
If we win the next 2 I’ll start to believe. We’ll be done with City and Arse home and away at the 19 game mark while those two wouldn’t have faced each other at all.

This. Feel this thread is two games premature. If we can get 4 points from out next 2 games, I’ll be utterly thrilled.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Lets focus on top 4 first

Skills

Snitch
I can't even bring myself to believe we have a real shot and we're top of the table and 8 points clear. If you think you're in it 9 points behind us, I wish I had your optimism!
I mean those two bits of logic kind of overlap. I think might be in it, because you're the ones who are 9 points clear. Not City or Liverpool.

the_cliff

tbh we've got the team now where we shouldn't feel the need to play defensive when we go to tougher opponents, I don't think that's how ETH wants us to play either. I expect he'll set us up in both the upcoming league games to try and play our own game for better or worse
I agree, which is why I said 'if'.

It will most likely be for worse at this point in time but we're definitely getting there.

Waynne

Whatever the case, I'm enjoying the silence of the trolls because I remember we were the butt of jokes during Ole's last days and into Rangnick's tenure.

They laughed a lot back then. They aint laughing now.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
In fairness, better teams than this Arsenal have blown big points gaps before.

United 1998.
United 2012.
Liverpool 2019.
Arsenal 2003.

Not to say we're in it, but the gap isn't insurmountable at this stage.

If results go favourably in January from a United perspective, it's conceivable to be there or thereabouts.

Jericho

If it was anyone other than yourselves and Spurs I'd agree.