Title winning campaigns by non-elite clubs

ROFLUTION

Deportivo won La Liga in 2000. Wasn't it with the lowest points total ever or something?
Very well could be. The last 10 games, I remember, were almost a competition between Depor and Barca on who could slip the most.

Amazing season from Depor, and holy feck, Djalminha, was something else. Very forgotten player with amazing flair. And the likes of Fran, Makaay, Turu Flores, Victor were all great technical players who understood the meaning of playing as a team. I remember Djalminha even small-slapping Beckham against Real Madrid, provoking Beckham to get carded :lol: A joker of a player.

Josh 76

Isn't Auxerre itself a very small city / town with a very low population? A remarkable success story.

Even there though, I don't think that compares to Leicester's 2016 title win in terms of the surprise factor.

Auxerre were a solid top 4 club in Ligue 1 for a few years before their 1996 title win. Also around that time (and for much of its history) Ligue 1 was incredibly open and competitive with 7 different teams winning the title during the 90s. I think 6 different teams won the title in 6 consecutive years from 1994-1999.

Montpellier winning Ligue 1 in 2012 with such a small budget, beating PSG who had been taken over by QSI the previous summer and were already spending big money was a huge surprise. But even there I think that Leicester's title was still the bigger surprise, as Montpellier had finished 5th and qualified for the Europa League a couple of seasons earlier, and in the period between Lyon's domination during the 00s and PSG's domination starting from the next season, again Ligue 1 was very open and competitive. That was in sharp contrast to the Premier League from 1996-2015 which was anything but.
I think all their players were from or around Auxerre, which made it even more remarkable.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not might but will. Being one of the top two teams in league history throws your little silly dig out the window.
I would however put united in 92/93 as a non elite team. At the time you had 7 leagues but not since 67. You were relegated and sat 11 leagues off the top elite team.
The term "thin skinned" comes to mind with this comment :lol:

led_scholes

FC Thun in the Swiss league in 2009-2010. Now, i have neither a clue about this league, apart from 3 teams, nor about the context of this campaign. But it was the first time i ve heard them, and it was the first time they became champions.
They won the second division that season, they were never champions
You are right, I m sorry. I don't know why in my head they were champions

led_scholes

FC Basel became Swiss Champions in 2010. Where did you get this wrong Information from and why didn't you check it?
Another poster pointed out too. I was completely sure and obviously wrong and i m sorry.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The remarkable part about Montpellier is that the majority of the team came from the academy.

RyRoc

1. you make it sound like Dortmund were nothing without Klopp
2. It wasn’t pre-Klopp
They certaintly weren't nothing but the 5 seasons before that they were 13th, 9th , 7th , 7th and 6th so hardly enjoying their best period in German football. You are right on the second point as he joined them in 2008 but what I meant was he hadn't completely established the team/ style he wanted , for example after that year they were 5th, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd. Not trying to take anything away from Wolfsburg as it's a fantastic achievement but nothing wrong with a bit of further analysis into how it happened

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Bordeaux winning the French League

Spaghetti

Mom's
They certaintly weren't nothing but the 5 seasons before that they were 13th, 9th , 7th , 7th and 6th so hardly enjoying their best period in German football. You are right on the second point as he joined them in 2008 but what I meant was he hadn't completely established the team/ style he wanted , for example after that year they were 5th, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd. Not trying to take anything away from Wolfsburg as it's a fantastic achievement but nothing wrong with a bit of further analysis into how it happened
Wow I honestly hadn’t realised Klopp made such a dramatic impact on them. I remember Dortmund being a force in the late 90s and they even won a European Cup, but I hadn’t realised they had dropped off the pace so much.

I guess you are slightly more right than I previously gave you credit for!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Wow I honestly hadn’t realised Klopp made such a dramatic impact on them. I remember Dortmund being a force in the late 90s and they even won a European Cup, but I hadn’t realised they had dropped off the pace so much.

I guess you are slightly more right than I previously gave you credit for!
From memory they had a pretty good team in the early 00s. Rosicky was very influential in number 10 role and they had Koller and Marcio Amouso scoring hatfuls upfront

Won the Bundesliga in 01/02 and reached Uefa cup final. However they then hit really bad financial troubles which resulted in their low finishes until Klopp turned up.

They're a bit like Atletico Madrid in that they've always very good in finding good strikers to replace the ones they have to sell/decline. Just looking at their top scorers list since mid 90s.

Stephane Chapuisat (was reminded of him watching the euro 96 games). Hit double figures in 5 out of 6 seasons in the 90s.

Marico Amoroso. Was a very good striker for Udinese and Parma in Serie A and had fantastic 01/02 season.

Jan Koller top scorer for next three seasons.

Alex Frei (remember him?) then picked up the mantle.

Lucas Barrios (remember him?!) then was the first one to get the Klopp love, 19 goals in 09/10 and then 16 the following season when they won the league. He then went to China and faded into obscurity. Ironically played on loan at Montpellier in 14/15.

After that Lewandowski and Aubameyang era.

Just seems one of those clubs that is a strikers dream particularly if you're an emerging one as they always play in an exciting and forward manner. Now Haaland is gaining the benefit.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Deportivo won La Liga in 2000 with only 69 points. United got more points in Van Gaal’s first season.

Lazio and Roma winning Serie A is mentionable as I suppose they aren’t “elite” clubs but pretty big clubs though.

Stuttgart and Wolfsburg winning the Bundesliga in recent memory. 2007 and 2009 I believe.

Montpellier winning the French league in 2011/12. Nantes also won it in recent enough memory.

I know it seems like a sly dig but I suppose Man City are a shout given that 3 years previous they were 10th but I suppose the money they have is “elite” even though they are a pretty mediocre sized club.

Offside

I also always find the Auxerre French title win in 1996 pretty crazy. Their only ever league title won by a manager who was managing them from 1964 until 2005! After 30 years as manager he won their first ever league title and they won the French cup in the same season.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
5 years before City won their title in 2012, they scored just 10 home league goals in 2006/2007 under Pearce, including 0 after New Year's Eve. That was even fewer than Derby in 2007/2008 or Sunderland in 2002/2003 or 2005/2006.

I remember one my teachers at school at the time was a season ticket holder, and had to miss the game in which they scored 3 goals (I think against Fulham) due to illness. So he went to 18 home league games that season, only saw them score 7 goals, and saw them fail to score in 13 of those games. Must have been pretty grim.

Depor finished in top three 9 times in 13 seasons from 1992-2004, so they were definitely a La Liga heavyweight at the time. It was very happy for them to win the title in 2000 after their heartbreak and the Djukic missed penalty in 1994. Them not winning it at some point would have seemed crazy.

King7Eric

Vfb Stuttgart in 2006-07. Yes Bayern had a horrible season that year, finishing outside the CL places and that led to them spending massively in the summer and recruiting the likes of Ribery and Klose.
But not many would have fancied Stuttgart to be the winners, having finished 9th the previous season. While not a small club by any means, their last league win had been 15 years ago. A young team led by Mario Gomez and having the likes of Khedira wasn't one really fancied to be anywhere near the league title.
Werder Bremen, with Diego as their talisman were the team fancied to be the one to really challenge Bayern's dominance but Stuttgart ended up trumping them, as well as Schalke to the title.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Two big Série A ones.

First was Verona in 1985, against stacked teams. Maradona at Napoli, Platini at Juventus, Falcão at Roma, Zico at Udinese etc...
Worth mentioning that in that season refs were assigned randomly to the games.

Not only the winner was a surprise. Also the top 4 or top 5 in that season were quite unexpected.

Worth mentioning that it was also the last season of random referee selection.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20

Not only the winner was a surprise. Also the top 4 or top 5 in that season were quite unexpected.

I didn’t remember that part. It’s interesting though, and intriguing. It’s probably more worrying than anything else!

King7Eric

Might be a stupid question, but how are refs usually assigned to games in Seria A?

NoneBmStore

Over here in Denmark it was a major shock when Herfølge BK won the 99/00 championship out of nowhere
They finished the 33 games with 56points and a +3 goal difference
They were relegated the following season dissapeared into obscurity before merging with some neighboring clubs.
Also Silkeborg winning the 94 league title was a major upset

Lay

Over here in Denmark it was a major shock when Herfølge BK won the 99/00 championship out of nowhere
They finished the 33 games with 56points and a +3 goal difference
They were relegated the following season dissapeared into obscurity before merging with some neighboring clubs.
Also Silkeborg winning the 94 league title was a major upset
I think that one is my favourite. What happened to them the season after? Sold their best players?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Two big Série A ones.

First was Verona in 1985, against stacked teams. Maradona at Napoli, Platini at Juventus, Falcão at Roma, Zico at Udinese etc...

They were in Série B a few years prior and it’s their sole Série A title.

Elkjaer and Briegel probably the two big stars in that team.

Sampdoria also only have one Scudetto win but that story is a bit different. It is still an incredible feat because by 90/91, Série A was approaching it’s very peak, but they had never finished above 4th place in their history.

This was more a story of a team with serious quality though, Pagliuca, Lombardo, Vialli, Mancini, Vierchowod coming together at the right time for a fairytale finish.
Were these great performances by the eventual champions or a combination of subpar seasons by the bigger clubs, ala Leicester 15-16?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Regarding Wolfsburg's title win in 2009, I'll never forget this goal from Grafite during their 5-1 win over Bayern:

Another fun aspect of that game was Felix Magath (whose previous job was the Bayern post) substituting keepers in the dying minutes of the game for no apparent reason.

Bundesliga was a different competition though before say 2013, in the 00s Dortmund, Bremen, Stuttgart and Wolfsburg won it. Schalke and Leverkusen came extremely close, too. So Wolfsburg's win, while suprising and impressive, wasn't nearly as big an upset as some of the other cases in this thread.

Schalke and Leverkusen especially botched their titles in exquisite fashion:

https://betting.betfair.com/footbal...-the-four-minute-championship-200515-723.html
Another one in 2007 when they traveled to Dortmund with the promise to win the title at their rival's ground and get them relegated in the process only to collapse in the most pathetic fashion.

Or Leverkusen dropping the title on the last matchday by losing 0-2 in Munich suburb Unterhaching, courtesy of a Ballack own goal and two years later dropping a 5 point lead in the final three games.

Last edited:

Ramos

People saying Montpellier and Auxerre, but don't forget Lens in 1998 after beating out another non-elite, Metz (with Pires), on GD.

Offside

5 years before City won their title in 2012, they scored just 10 home league goals in 2006/2007 under Pearce, including 0 after New Year's Eve. That was even fewer than Derby in 2007/2008 or Sunderland in 2002/2003 or 2005/2006.
I remember it so well. We had to beat them to all but secure the league and the Sky commentator mentioned they hadn’t scored a home goal all year long when about a minute later they got a penalty. Thankfully Edwin saved it and United won 1-0 and were champions the next day.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

I remember one my teachers at school at the time was a season ticket holder, and had to miss the game in which they scored 3 goals (I think against Fulham) due to illness. So he went to 18 home league games that season, only saw them score 7 goals, and saw them fail to score in 13 of those games. Must have been pretty grim.
They truly won the lottery when the Sheikh bought them up.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Another fun aspect of that game was Felix Magath (whose previous job was the Bayern post) substituting keepers in the dying minutes of the game for no apparent reason.

Bundesliga was a different competition though before say 2013, in the 00s Dortmund, Bremen, Stuttgart and Wolfsburg won it. Schalke and Leverkusen came extremely close, too. So Wolfsburg's win, while suprising and impressive, wasn't nearly as big an upset as some of the other cases in this thread.

https://betting.betfair.com/footbal...-the-four-minute-championship-200515-723.html
Another one in 2007 when they traveled to Dortmund with the promise to win the title at their rival's ground and get them relegated in the process only to collapse in the most pathetic fashion.

Or Leverkusen dropping the title on the last matchday by losing 0-2 in Munich suburb Unterhaching, courtesy of a Ballack own goal and two years later dropping a 5 point lead in the final three games.
I remember 2001 well. Schalke game had already finished and they all went onto the pitch at their old ground to celebrate. Bayern scored from a free kick inside the box didn't they, I assume for a back pass so perhaps the Hamburg keeper was in on things....Hamburg had actually scored in 89th minute so guess that's the Bayern equivalent of 2012.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
They truly won the lottery when the Sheikh bought them up.
Agreed. Even my team Blackburn were better than City before that takeover (finishing above them in 5 out of the previous 6 seasons). They didn't overtake the likes of Villa and Everton until the 2nd season post-takeover, notably after their huge spending spree during the summer of 2009 including the acrimonious pursuit of Lescott when Hughes called Everton a small club.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

Yes Schalke were champions for 4 minutes in 2001 and then for 8 minutes in 2007 (albeit earlier in the day and not after their game had ended like in 2001) before Patrik Andersson and Thomas Hitzlsperger respectively spoilt their dreams.

Leverkusen blowing the title twice in 3 years was just crazy, only needing a draw Unterhachting in 2000. That was definitely a competitive decade for the Bundesliga and their could have easily been 7 different league championships in 10 years from 2000-2009 instead of 5 which was still impressive.

In my lifetime (I was born in 1990), while there have been numerous surprise title wins, I definitely Leicester's title in 2016 was comfortably the biggest surprise of the lot, ahead of Auxerre's in 1996, Kaiserslautern's in 1998, Depor's in 2000, Boavista's in 2001, Stuttgart's in 2007, AZ Alkmaar's in 2009 etc, considering all the circumstances.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I remember it so well. We had to beat them to all but secure the league and the Sky commentator mentioned they hadn’t scored a home goal all year long when about a minute later they got a penalty. Thankfully Edwin saved it and United won 1-0 and were champions the next day.
Michael Ball stamped on Ronaldo's stomach during that game didn't he.

In additional to that terrible goal scoring record at home, their season was mostly remember for nasty incidents i.e. Ben Thatcher's assault on Pendro Mendes, the Ball stamp on Ronaldo, Barton attacking Dabo in training etc.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I remember 2001 well. Schalke game had already finished and they all went onto the pitch at their old ground to celebrate. Bayern scored from a free kick inside the box didn't they, I assume for a back pass so perhaps the Hamburg keeper was in on things....Hamburg had actually scored in 89th minute so guess that's the Bayern equivalent of 2012.
Considering the guy was loaned out from Schalke and a local academy player of theirs that that would be a truly exceptional twist. The whole four minutes were complete madness, someone told people at Schalke the other game was over, fans were all over the pitch, everyone celebrating and suddenly the feed from the Bayern game appears on the info screens...

Oddly enough Schalke's fans never blamed the keeper who for whatever reason picked up the ball instead of just hoofing it away. They made some conspiracy theory out of it with Markus Merk (perhaps the most respected German referee) who was officiating the game in Hamburg at the supposed center. Even some 10 years later when he worked at a pundit for Sky and was covering a game at Schalke fans throwing stuff at him from the stands and Sky had to put up umbrellas and changed the location of their broadcast desk to a calmer part of the stadium for the next game.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
O.k didn't know the background. Will watch the highlights later on to see what happened (can remember Andersson still hammering in the FK despite all the players on the line). Must've been a very obvious one for Merk to award it considering it was practically the last kick of the game.

anant

Kaiserslautern won the Bundesliga right after getting promoted
Came here to post this. What's more impressive is that they won it in 1998 - the season between BVB's CL win and Bayern's CL final appearance

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
O.k didn't know the background. Will watch the highlights later on to see what happened (can remember Andersson still hammering in the FK despite all the players on the line). Must've been a very obvious one for Merk to award it considering it was practically the last kick of the game.
It was just a back pass from his defender, picking it up must have been a brain fart under pressure. Schalke fans smelled a rat, because supposedly these things never never got sanctioned in the real world and because Merk had indicated 3 minutes of stoppage time and the kick had been taken in the 90th+5th minute - missing that this was caused by two minutes passing between the free kick being awarded and its execution.

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
Wanna count Monaco in this from a few years ago. They had some quality players, topped PSG, and went to the Semi(?) of the CL.
Most of their side especially midfield and attack went on to some big teams too.

I also thought of Monaco but more so their 1999/2000 league title. They had Fabien Barthez, Rafa Marquez, John Arne Riise, Willy Sagnol, Ludovic Giuly, David Trezeguet, Marcelo Gallardo, Dado Prso and Costinha. Almost all of them went on to star at elite clubs

Demyanenko_square_jaw

i think Monaco are too big a club in France to be considered by 99-00. They had already been champions 5 or 6 times and european competition regulars since the late 70s.

Some other Soviet/Russian ones would be the Dynamo Minsk, Zenit Leningrad (they were huge underachievers considering the size and status of the city) and Dnipro back to back wins in 82,83,84 seasons . Alania Vladikavkaz '95, who took the title in a transitional year for the dominant 9 titles in 10 years Spartak team. Rubin Kazan 08 and 09.