Title winning campaigns by non-elite clubs

padzilla

Hipster
What about Celtic winning the European Cup in 67 with a team of players who all grew up within a few miles of each other?

Luke1995

Ipswich were winners of the first division in 1962. A significant achievement considering they were in the third division (South) in 1955 prior to the acquisition of Alf Ramsey. By the beginning of the football calendar year, not a single player of this Ipswich side were capped.

Almost like a a foreshadowing of what was to come as they failed to consolidate their standing by finishing in 17th place. As we know, England won the World Cup in 1966 with Alf Ramsey as manager. Ipswich was the team he left, Crawson whose numbers were reminiscent to that of Vardy's exploits in Leicester's winning season would leave the club. Without Alf Ramsey at the helm, Ipswich were relegated in 1964.

Ipswich's Uefa Cup triumph in 1980/1.
Won 6-0 on aggregate against the Polish side that knocked out Man Utd and Juventus. Especially impressive considering it was difficult at the time to score more than once against Widzew Łódź. Eventually, they would beat AZ Alkmaar .

The next season they once again (2nd place) became agonisingly close to winning the domestic title. However, this time a certain Sir Alex Ferguson curtailed their progress as Aberdeen knocked out Ipswich in the first round of the Uefa Cup. Unfortunately for Ipswich, Bobby Robson who had been the manager for 14 years would leave to manage England. Considering this is a United forum, I'm sure we can have some empathy for a club which had low managerial turnover at the time, . As a matter of fact, there are parallels with Moyes being the successor to Sir Alex, and Bobby Ferguson to Bobby Robson. Sir Alex played a role in the malaise of the club that his successor would inherit. Similarly, Robson advocating the construction of the Pioneer Stand had financial implications for his successor. It wasn't a big squad to begin with, as opposed to Villa their competitors at the time. Ferguson couldn't afford to introduce the requisite acquisitions to bolster the squad as they look to consolidate on what was almost a domestic treble. Arnold Mühren's departure in the summer was a blow, as he was part of a midfield with Thijjsen, and Wark. So, from the offset it wouldn't be the same midfield that achieved greatness, and he was very much a key player. Transfer requests would emerge in the subsequent season, Alan Brazil would end up leaving. Ferguson was having to rely on youth graduates like Ian Cranson amongst others. They were deteriorating at an exponential rate. Ipswich, a side that won the Uefa Cup in 80/81 would be relegated in 85-86.
You really thought alot about this! Glad some people liked the thread! I didn't know Ipswich had been that sucessfull. Where are they today ?

Luke1995

That's such a weird examples. UEFA Cup exists so that the second-tier clubs like Sevilla and Zenit can get European silverware and that's what they did, there is nothing surprising about their wins there.
I'd still argue that Zenit's win was surprising. Not many russian clubs win european tournaments.

I'd still argue that Zenit's win was surprising. Not many russian clubs win european tournaments.
CSKA Moscow won it three years before. Surprisingly, the introduction of the third-placed teams from the Champions League entering the knockouts helped the 'smaller' nations, as their top tier teams were able to string together deep runs. In the very first season that rule made it possible that Galatasaray, a Champions League-team, could win the UEFA Cup. Since then, 15 of 20 finals have featured at least one team that started in the UCL, including the likes of Feyenoord (winner), Celtic, CSKA (winner), Rangers, Shakhtar (winner), Braga, Benfica and Dnipro. If you add Porto (winner), Sporting, Zenit (winner) and Ajax, those are quite a few clubs outside of the 'top 5 leagues' and four of those from Eastern European leagues (CSKA, Zenit, Shakhtar and Dnipro).
Handing the winner a spot in the Champions League probably had the opposite effect, seeing how 'bigger' teams took the competition much more seriously with United, Atlético and Chelsea winning it in the last three years.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Otelul Galati won the Romanian league in 2011. We faced them in the CL. Currently in the third division in Romania

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Auxerre winning title season 95/96 was pretty much surprising, because they surely didin't had the team to do it despite having some interesting names in the squad.

hmchan

Always happy to see non-elite clubs win against the odds, but not Leicester's title winning campaign. They played really dirty with plenty of wrestling in the box that season, and the refs always gave decisions (e.g. handballs) in favor of them. Their performance this season deserves a champion much more than that in 15/16.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
I skimmed through pretty fast, but I didn’t see mention of the Blackburn Rovers title winning side of 95’. That ones right up there.

that’s how fast... it was in the ops’ post. Gotta get a bigger phone!

Last edited:

Luke1995

CSKA Moscow won it three years before. Surprisingly, the introduction of the third-placed teams from the Champions League entering the knockouts helped the 'smaller' nations, as their top tier teams were able to string together deep runs. In the very first season that rule made it possible that Galatasaray, a Champions League-team, could win the UEFA Cup. Since then, 15 of 20 finals have featured at least one team that started in the UCL, including the likes of Feyenoord (winner), Celtic, CSKA (winner), Rangers, Shakhtar (winner), Braga, Benfica and Dnipro. If you add Porto (winner), Sporting, Zenit (winner) and Ajax, those are quite a few clubs outside of the 'top 5 leagues' and four of those from Eastern European leagues (CSKA, Zenit, Shakhtar and Dnipro).
Handing the winner a spot in the Champions League probably had the opposite effect, seeing how 'bigger' teams took the competition much more seriously with United, Atlético and Chelsea winning it in the last three years.
That's a really good point. I don't really agree with third placed teams from the champions league being rewarded with that, as it kinda kills the entire point of being knocked out.

But it is true that it helps them. Has there been any winner of the Uefa Cup who managed to make a sucessfull run in the champions league the following year ?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
What about Celtic winning the European Cup in 67 with a team of players who all grew up within a few miles of each other?
That's an underrated achievement. Off all the records people can think off in Europe's big competitions, don't think this will ever be repeated in a very long time.
That's a really good point. I don't really agree with third placed teams from the champions league being rewarded with that, as it kinda kills the entire point of being knocked out.

But it is true that it helps them. Has there been any winner of the Uefa Cup who managed to make a sucessfull run in the champions league the following year ?
Other than Porto under Jose, though the rule was not in effect then, I can't think of a team winning the Europa League and then making it to the later stages of the UCL. Or wait didn't Chelsea make it to the semi finals in Jose's first season (after they won the Europa League)?

ReddBalls

Still irks me Sociedad didn’t win La Liga in the early 00’s
They did in 1980-1981 and the year after with a bunch of local lads. At that time the had the same policy as Bilbao, recruiting only basque players. Those victories came only five years since Franco's dictatorship in Spain ended, and the new government startet stamping down on basque culture. Pretty remarkable feat and a really interesting story.

NoneBmStore

I think that one is my favourite. What happened to them the season after? Sold their best players?
I honestly dont remember
They were never a powerhouse in danish football, before or after.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I mean, Chelsea and City are just bigger more obvious versions of Blackburn/Leicester.

How were Villa perceived at the time they won the European Cup?

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
You really thought alot about this! Glad some people liked the thread! I didn't know Ipswich had been that sucessfull. Where are they today ?
Definitely enjoyed the thread. Love an underdog story as the main reason I watch sport is to be inspired.

Not only were Ipswich a side that had just been promoted, it was the very first time they had ever been in the first division.

I've used their story as motivation for areas in my personal life. An example being ... I remember in swimming lessons we had three groups; the bottom/intermediate/top group. We were asked to raise our hands if we could swim 5m. Those that raised their hands were placed in the intermediate group, whilst the rest (including myself) started in the bottom group. We would regularly undertake tests to see if we could advance/maintain/demoted to the next group. I used the story of Ipswich as my primary source of motivation. I was the only person to make it to the top group that started in the bottom group.

My intention was to watch games of Ipswich in 2017/18 to monitor the progress of Dozzell as I have a vested interest in the England national team and he was very much part of the U19 Championship. However, his injury in the opener ruled him out for the rest of the season. They were a Championship side at that point, and now languishing mid table in league one.

Luke1995

Definitely enjoyed the thread. Love an underdog story as the main reason I watch sport is to be inspired.

Not only were Ipswich a side that had just been promoted, it was the very first time they had ever been in the first division.

I've used their story as motivation for areas in my personal life. An example being ... I remember in swimming lessons we had three groups; the bottom/intermediate/top group. We were asked to raise our hands if we could swim 5m. Those that raised their hands were placed in the intermediate group, whilst the rest (including myself) started in the bottom group. We would regularly undertake tests to see if we could advance/maintain/demoted to the next group. I used the story of Ipswich as my primary source of motivation. I was the only person to make it to the top group that started in the bottom group.

My intention was to watch games of Ipswich in 2017/18 to monitor the progress of Dozzell as I have a vested interest in the England national team and he was very much part of the U19 Championship. However, his injury in the opener ruled him out for the rest of the season. They were a Championship side at that point, and now languishing mid table in league one.
That's nice! We can always use sports stories as a source of motivation for personal life.

The pool of talent in the championship and league one is really deep given the table changes every season. I'm sure it's harder than it seems for me, who pretty much got acess only to PL matches.

Right now I want to see if Sunderland can get out of league one and win the championship. That would be quite the underdog story.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
That's nice! We can always use sports stories as a source of motivation for personal life.

The pool of talent in the championship and league one is really deep given the table changes every season. I'm sure it's harder than it seems for me, who pretty much got acess only to PL matches.

Right now I want to see if Sunderland can get out of league one and win the championship. That would be quite the underdog story.
The Championship is certainly an interesting league. Many English fans consider it the toughest league. I would like to see Plymouth make it to the Premier League soon.

Fun fact a user on here called Jippy actually got the opportunity to interview the chairman of a Championship club.

In 2017, Jippy made a post concerning questions to ask the chairman. These were mine

What are his views on the Elite Player Performance Plan allowing teams with Academic Category One status able to use their additional funding to make the acquisitions of highly rated players from lesser ranked clubs within the country for nominal fees?

What are his thoughts on Brentford closing their academy to predominantly focus on the PL2?

Given that part of the reason Brentford closed their academy was due to the stiff competition in London, can he see South London teams moving in the same direction, seeing as the cage matches in the Damilola Taylor Center and Tabard Gardens attract considerable attention from not just Charlton, Millwall and Palace, but also Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs amongst countless others?

What can the Premier League learn from the Championship went it comes to providing a pathway for youngsters?

How does the Premier League go about ensuring the difference in appearances of those aged 21 or under, (42,297 to the Championship's 114,281) isn't so disproportionate, baring in mind the Premier Leauge play 38 games a season, whereas Championship sides play 46 games?

Both Dele Alli and Ryan Sessegnon became starters for their respective sides at the age of 16, does he expect to see more 16 year olds becoming predominant features in the starting berth of Championship sides, and lower divisions?

Luke1995

The question about more 16 year olds making impacts is quite interesting. You also got Jude Belligham as an example now.

If a player starts at 16 doing well, he can potentially have a 24-25 year career until the age of 40-41 if he wishes to do so. Given that the life in football is short and not all players become rich, it would be in the youngsters best interests to start as early as they possibly can. Also, reading these questions made me realize just how much I miss the ''Ask the opposition'' thread... all these people from other club's forums are quite interesting!

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
The question about more 16 year olds making impacts is quite interesting. You also got Jude Belligham as an example now

If a player starts at 16 doing well, he can potentially have a 24-25 year career until the age of 40-41 if he wishes to do so. Given that the life in football is short and not all players become rich, it would be in the youngsters best interests to start as early as they possibly can. Also, reading these questions made me realize just how much I miss the ''Ask the opposition'' thread... all these people from other club's forums are quite interesting!
Yes, he's definitely an example. Just on the first page of this thread there's supporter of; Arsenal, Sporting, Feyernood, Liverpool, Blackburn, Aston Villa, Germany,. I used to frequent the official Man Utd forum, and opposition posters were non-existent. It's great that other supporters use this forum. I actually joined this forum blindly in the sense that I wasn't a lurker that eventually made an account. My first action on visiting the website was creating a user account. The first thread I saw was in the newbies. Redcafe exceeded my expectations.

You could always bump an existing one, or perhaps create a new thread if its a team that wasn't covered.

Also, those that already commented on this thread might be getting sick of the alerts from us

tomaldinho1

Leicester one is still genuinely unbelievable, Montpellier and Monaco also great stories.

Greece at the Euros as well

TheFaceGlove1

Herfølge Boldklub surprisingly won the Danish Championship in 1999/2000, coached by John Jensen (yes, that guy who played for Arsenal in the mid 90's).
Herfølge got relegated the following season.

They've since fusioned with another Danish team and are bouncing around somewhere in the lower leagues...

Reactions: Penna

Luke1995

Yes, he's definitely an example. Just on the first page of this thread there's supporter of; Arsenal, Sporting, Feyernood, Liverpool, Blackburn, Aston Villa, Germany,. I used to frequent the official Man Utd forum, and opposition posters were non-existent. It's great that other supporters use this forum. I actually joined this forum blindly in the sense that I wasn't a lurker that eventually made an account. My first action on visiting the website was creating a user account. The first thread I saw was in the newbies. Redcafe exceeded my expectations.

You could always bump an existing one, or perhaps create a new thread if its a team that wasn't covered.

Also, those that already commented on this thread might be getting sick of the alerts from us
Exactly.

But just to put the thread back on topic: Anyone knows who was the last french team to win the league before Lyon went on that run with Juninho ?