To the posters saying Mourinho is done

N1_Gooner

In answer to the thread title - I don't think it's as simple as saying that he is or isn't "done." He's in a position at Man Utd where it could easily go either way.

A lot of it is about the belief and togetherness of the squad. This could collapse at Man Utd or he could manage to assert himself and recreate the success he had at Chelsea. I'll explain what I mean...

At Chelsea last season he achieved some of the worst results ever for a squad of that quality - but I don't think that means he suddenly became the worst manager ever. It was because the squad turned on him. Contrast the unity and sense of purpose Leicester had last season, with all the squad, manager and fans pulling in the same direction. That must have been worth at least 10-20 points over the season. It means at least as much as the manager's tactics on the field.

Building a team that has this unity and purpose/drive is much easier said than done. You had it for a long time with the club and fans united under Sir Alex whom nobody could challenge. It's like a virtuous circle of on field success, unites the team behind the manager, which in turn leads to more on field success. As soon as Moyes was appointed, it went the exact other way - on field failures leading to the squad losing belief in the manager, loss of unity and belief, leading to more on field failures.

Going back to my original point - it could easily go either way with Jose. Your squad has a number of rampaging egos - e.g. Rooney, Ibra and of course Jose himself. Bad results over the next 10-20 matches could mean that his authority goes, the unity of the team goes, and the monster egos could all turn on each other like rats in a sack. But if you get the rub of the green over the next 5 or so matches - maybe a few lucky goals or penalties, or decisions, it will build Jose's authority and the team's unity and strength of purpose. It feels like you're in quite a precarious position at the moment.

I don't think he's become a useless manager since he was at Chelsea - it's just that he now has a lot of negative stories and history following him around. That could make it more difficult for the team to unite behind him in the way that his first Chelsea team did (or Man Utd under Sir Alex did, or Leicester under Ranieri) - and easier to end up with a "rats in a sack" situation like his last Chelsea team.

Reactions: Snowjoe

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Our team is performing better than last season. We create more chances and have more fluidity offensively as well.
The problem with comparing this and last season is that overall we have more strong teams this year. Last season was an anomaly, evidenced by Leicester winning the title. They were great but they also benefitted from virtually all the big clubs struggling. This season is different, hence why our standing in the table looks so poor. But the fact is, we're only six points behind the league leaders, which is nothing.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
In answer to the thread title - I don't think it's as simple as saying that he is or isn't "done." He's in a position at Man Utd where it could easily go either way.

A lot of it is about the belief and togetherness of the squad. This could collapse at Man Utd or he could manage to assert himself and recreate the success he had at Chelsea. I'll explain what I mean...

At Chelsea last season he achieved some of the worst results ever for a squad of that quality - but I don't think that means he suddenly became the worst manager ever. It was because the squad turned on him. Contrast the unity and sense of purpose Leicester had last season, with all the squad, manager and fans pulling in the same direction. That must have been worth at least 10-20 points over the season. It means at least as much as the manager's tactics on the field.

Building a team that has this unity and purpose/drive is much easier said than done. You had it for a long time with the club and fans united under Sir Alex whom nobody could challenge. It's like a virtuous circle of on field success, unites the team behind the manager, which in turn leads to more on field success. As soon as Moyes was appointed, it went the exact other way - on field failures leading to the squad losing belief in the manager, loss of unity and belief, leading to more on field failures.

Going back to my original point - it could easily go either way with Jose. Your squad has a number of rampaging egos - e.g. Rooney, Ibra and of course Jose himself. Bad results over the next 10-20 matches could mean that his authority goes, the unity of the team goes, and the monster egos could all turn on each other like rats in a sack. But if you get the rub of the green over the next 5 or so matches - maybe a few lucky goals or penalties, or decisions, it will build Jose's authority and the team's unity and strength of purpose. It feels like you're in quite a precarious position at the moment.

I don't think he's become a useless manager since he was at Chelsea - it's just that he now has a lot of negative stories and history following him around. That could make it more difficult for the team to unite behind him in the way that his first Chelsea team did (or Man Utd under Sir Alex did, or Leicester under Ranieri) - and easier to end up with a "rats in a sack" situation like his last Chelsea team.
Yeah, I think this is about right. A very good manager - who is having a wobble - taking over a huge club - having a similar crisis in confidence. Which is not ideal.Could end up being the same fine margins between greatness and failure as Mark Robbins scoring that goal when Fergie as at his lowest ebb. And it might even be down to events beyond anyone's control. An undeserved win, or a lucky break in terms of taking on a good team on a really bad day. We could have done without the recent fixture list, that's for damn sure. Took the wind right out of our sales and we look a long way from gaining momentum again. And if we don't get some sort of momentum soon then there's a reasonable chance that a death spiral awaits. Which will be horrendous, for everyone concerned (but no doubt hilarious to you gooners!)

ZupZup

I'm not denying that to be a true, but I argue causality the other way exists as well.

When a player is inconsistent, he will have runs of bad form, which makes him lose his starting spot. Thus, inconsistent performance may cause inconsistent selection - just as much as inconsistent selection may cause inconsistent performance.

And I don't know how someone who watches a game as a supporter, are able to identify which way the arrow goes at all time.
I hear ya and whilst Sir Alex was a bit of a pioneer when it came to squad rotation... he was managing that side for a long time. A squad with many leaders too. So I don't think the comparison is too fair.

Jose has never been big on changes... not during his most successful periods. The stats all show that to be true. He's always been more of a 'this is my best team and I will play it' type of manager. All the chopping and changing makes me think he's not sure what his best team is and I think that's a big contributory factor to our lacklustre start this season.

Vaibhav Raj

It's generally best to stay off all internet platforms after United lose, you don't see much rational conversation.
I didn't visit this site once after United lost to Chelsea. I felt I had a general idea of what was about to unleash here. Looks like people are still reeling after that loss. Nothing else explains the sense of doom and gloom after only ten games into the season. Especially when literally every top team is struggling or is going to struggle.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
This guy is batshit crazy now. Worse than LvG. Mental.

gza the genius

I'm not saying he's done by any means but it's very weird how he has seemingly decided on players who have no worth, namely Schweinsteiger and Mykhi. Surely they can offer something to this squad, it's not like we're playing well...

Stacks

Yeah, I think this is about right. A very good manager - who is having a wobble - taking over a huge club - having a similar crisis in confidence. Which is not ideal.Could end up being the same fine margins between greatness and failure as Mark Robbins scoring that goal when Fergie as at his lowest ebb. And it might even be down to events beyond anyone's control. An undeserved win, or a lucky break in terms of taking on a good team on a really bad day. We could have done without the recent fixture list, that's for damn sure. Took the wind right out of our sales and we look a long way from gaining momentum again. And if we don't get some sort of momentum soon then there's a reasonable chance that a death spiral awaits. Which will be horrendous, for everyone concerned (but no doubt hilarious to you gooners!)
very measure this

red4ever 79

All slowly going downhill again. Results are not good. Mourinho is not happy living in a hotel without his family. Shaw's brother is not happy, Miki is not getting in the squad. All jokes aside there is something fundamentally wrong at the moment. I dont think Mourinho will last beyond the season