Toby Alderweireld

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know, no. I haven't seen any serious links to anybody but United. He wants big wages, that's the entire reason he wants to leave, no clubs on the continent are about to hand a CB the kind of money he wants. United have been the only serious links all summer, he clearly wants you and knows you can pay him what he wants. If he goes anywhere I'm 99% sure it'll be to you, and I do think a deal will be done on deadline day.
Thanks ❤

Last edited:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Ofcourse it is.
.. Are you denying it? He's rejected a contract we put on the table, and asked us for more money. He may have other motivations but his primary one is that he feels he deserves better pay. That's the whole reason for the dispute, he wants a bigger contract and we've refused to give it.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
.. Are you denying it? He's rejected a contract we put on the table, and asked us for more money. He may have other motivations but his primary one is that he feels he deserves better pay. That's the whole reason for the dispute, he wants a bigger contract and we've refused to give it.
I think he wants a move to an elite club, money of course too, I’m not surprised.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
There is no solid evidence for it. No team outside the Premier League will match his wage demands and the money Levy will want, it's nonsense. May have been some trashy tabloid links to clubs on the continent but I haven't seen a single solid source say anything other than there's negotiations going on with United.
Thanks for clearing that up.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I think he wants a move to an elite club, money of course too, I’m not surprised.
I'm sure the step up is a added bonus, but his primary concern is undoubtedly money. By all reports he rejected a contract offer because the wages weren't enough, and asked for more money. He's a footballer heading in to his thirties who spent most of his career at clubs who don't offer huge contracts, he has an opportunity now to land a massive one so (unsurprisingly) that is his biggest concern.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
If I recall correctly, the issue with Toby's (I'm done trying to spell this guys surname correctly) contract came about due to Levy refusing to grant him a release clause. It has since escalated to the point of Toby no longer wishing to remain a Spurs player regardless of the contract Levy is prepared to offer. Is this about right?

United Pro

Spurs have 2 offers on the table for Toby from overseas, so Levy is in no rush as their windows closes after ours and before you say the Toby has to agree to move do you honestly think at his age he wants to be a bench warmer for another season? Both teams are in CL too.

So yes there is an advantage as why should we sell to a rival and make them stronger and from reading all your comments its obviously will as he is still a top defender so you need to give us something in return that makes us stronger or no deal.
I actually want us to sign Alderweireld just to see your reaction (well also sporting reasons of course).

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
If I recall correctly, the issue with Toby's (I'm done trying to spell this guys surname correctly) contract came about due to Levy refusing to grant him a release clause. It has since escalated to the point of Toby no longer wishing to remain a Spurs player regardless of the contract Levy is prepared to offer. Is this about right?
Rumours he negotiated a new contract and he then decided not to follow through and asked for more. I don’t think a release clause would help him much at this stage of his career. I don’t blame him, he wants an elite club with more wages, il be interested to know how much you are going to pay, again a rumour but we offered him around £140K a week. Again all speculation but I think he wants an elite move and unfortunately United is that.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Rumours he negotiated a new contract and he then decided not to follow through and asked for more. I don’t think a release clause would help him much at this stage of his career. I don’t blame him, he wants an elite club with more wages, il be interested to know how much you are going to pay, again a rumour but we offered him around £140K a week. Again all speculation but I think he wants an elite move and unfortunately United is that.
He wants more money, mate. If we had offered him what he wanted he would still be a Spurs player, it's far less to do with wanting an 'elite' club and far more to do with wanting a last big pay packet. This isn't a slight on United by the way, it's just a fact of the situation. I'm sure the fact United are a massive club is a bonus and he'd rather play for you than say Chelsea, but the narrative has always been he's not satisfied with the money we've offered.

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He wants more money, mate. If we had offered him what he wanted he would still be a Spurs player, it's far less to do with wanting an 'elite' club and far more to do with wanting a last big pay packet. This isn't a slight on United by the way, it's just a fact of the situation, I'm sure the fact United have a massive club is a bonus and he'd rather play for you than say Chelsea, but the narrative has always been he's not satisfied with the money we've offered.
That’s fair enough, but he then always saw us a as a stepping stone. The release clause he had initially was there because he was always wanting a move on. The wait we deal with contracts I would say we initially tried offering him more after 2 years but he refused. We can’t offer the big time wages, he knew this when he signed. The wages he is demanding are elite level wages.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
That’s fair enough, but he then always saw us a as a stepping stone. The release clause he had initially was there because he was always wanting a move on. The wait we deal with contracts I would say we initially tried offering him more after 2 years but he refused. We can’t offer the big time wages, he knew this when he signed. The wages he is demanding are elite level wages.
I don't doubt that he did, but it's not like he's sat there dreaming of a big club, the issue is wages. I don't have a problem with it and he's perfectly entitled to go for what he feels he deserves, but let's not romanticise the situation, the man wants a big contract while his stock is high as he enters his thirties. It's smart.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Levy is clearly working with Spurs' best interests at heart. He needs to find the best deal available for his club given the relatively low funds he has at his disposal. A swap deal involving Martial and Alderweireld ticks all the right boxes for him. He loses a problem player in Toby, gains a top young talent in Martial for Poch to work his magic on and all for the grand cost of nothing.

Can't blame the guy for trying, trouble is Woody will never go for it. The latter will cave-in to Levy's demands before the deadline passes and offer up the asking price. Probably.

el3mel

Tobby wants to actually move to a big club and try to win something. I know this cruel truth hurts Spurs fans but that's reality and they have to make peace with it. No matter how many times they finish in top 4, players will still prefer the likes of United, Liverpool, Chelsea, hell even Arsenal over them.

Infra-red

Will this not be the issue for Spurs going forward? The aspiration is to be an elite level club and you undoubtedly already possess some elite level players (Kane, Eriksen), but have no prospect (at least in the short term) of being able to afford the wages commensurate with that status.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Will this not be the issue for Spurs going forward? The aspiration is to be an elite level club and you undoubtedly already possess some elite level players (Kane, Eriksen), but have no prospect (at least in the short term) of being able to afford the wages commensurate with that status.
We've handed Kane a massive contract, and offered Toby decent wages. We can't afford to be offering a CB absolutely top level wages, but we can afford to keep our best assets. The club obviously don't feel he's important enough to justify the kind of money he's after.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
We will lose some along the way but for whatever reason player like Kane and Eriksen will stay, not saying forever. Some will put their own happiness first and wages second.

It’s funny if the players we had did stay say in the last 3-5 years, we could of had Kane, Bale, Modric and Eriksen in the same team, maybe Berbatov at a stretch. It’s shit being a Spurs fan at times lol.

Levy is clearly working with Spurs' best interests at heart. He needs to find the best deal available for his club given the relatively low funds he has at his disposal. A swap deal involving Martial and Alderweireld ticks all the right boxes for him. He loses a problem player in Toby, gains a top young talent in Martial for Poch to work his magic on and all for the grand cost of nothing.

Can't blame the guy for trying, trouble is Woody will never go for it. The latter will cave-in to Levy's demands before the deadline passes and offer up the asking price. Probably.
I totally agree.

James Peril

The reason Toby didn't hardly play back end of last season was because he changed his mind on signing a contract he had agreed too after 'Pool put vVD on stupid money. But it went further and from what we are told he is now well out of favour with Posh as he not seemed a "Team Player"

As to where the offers are from well its hardly rocket science and I'm sure you can work it out just look at which CL clubs aboard are after a CB and a €45m bid would be accecptable from them as its not strengthen one of our PL rivals, the other bid is currently not as much as that apparently, but they too are keen and they will have more time to finance the move with sales in the next few weeks.

Only passing on what I read on Spurs fans websites, and its on more than one.
This is pretty embarrasing stuff man. You read some stuff on an internet forum and it’s gospel? People who could easily be 13 years old and make stuff up to please the crowd? Get real, reading stuff on a fan forum is not news or rumors, it’s just guys talking crap with utter bias for their club.

Ekeke

It should work against them though. Players who Spurs are approaching but who dream of playing for a bigger club might be put off by seeing Spurs players priced out of the market all the time and the lengths players like Modric had to go to finally be free.

Infra-red

We've handed Kane a massive contract, and offered Toby decent wages. We can't afford to be offering a CB absolutely top level wages, but we can afford to keep our best assets. The club obviously don't feel he's important enough to justify the kind of money he's after.
Fair enough.

We will lose some along the way but for whatever reason player like Kane and Eriksen will stay, not saying forever. Some will put their own happiness first and wages second.

It’s funny if the players we had did stay say in the last 3-5 years, we could of had Kane, Bale, Modric and Eriksen in the same team, maybe Berbatov at a stretch. It’s shit being a Spurs fan at times lol.
Would be quite a side! I think as long as you keep hold of the Pochettino/Eriksen/Kane triumvirate, you'll be (at least) in the mix for the top 3 or 4 positions.

Mainoldo

He wants to come to us but obviously the money is the main motive. There’s not much difference between us and Spurs with regards to having a chance of winning the title. If Spurs paid big wages he probably would have stayed.

RRCE

He wants to come to us but obviously the money is the main motive. There’s not much difference between us and Spurs with regards to having a chance of winning the title. If Spurs paid big wages he probably would have stayed.
There’s certainly more to a potential move than money. I would suggest that he also wants to play and fill an important roll in the team. I would also argue that despite the past few years, United is still a much more prestigious destination for most players than Tottenham.

Roons111

Supports
spurs
How many teams out there need a CB and are willing to pay him 180k a week?
Best cb in the league for 25m (stones was 50) I would think every club in the PL at the minimum.

If City and Chelsea are not their mad (just in this country) ..200k and 60m is different from 200k and 25m. You may be right he may want united its the risk you take.

99withaflake

Best cb in the league for 25m (stones was 50) I would think every club in the PL at the minimum.

If City and Chelsea are not their mad (just in this country) ..200k and 60m is different from 200k and 25m. You may be right he may want united its the risk you take.
Agreed. If we leave this until next summer, there will be more competition, driving up the fee and wages. Could easily be higher than 25m and it won't be a certainty that we sign him. Now does seem like the time to strike. This all just seems like a massive game of poker in which Levy enjoys watching us sweat.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
If we don’t sign him now we will be next summer for £25m.

However, he will expect a better signing on fee, especially as he loses out on a year of increased wages.

Relfy

Just get in there and get the deal done now. We want the player, the player (according to reports) wants us, it keeps Jose happy, which in turn should make Woody happy. It makes sense to do it now and have the squad the way we need it from day one, instead of trying to do the move in Jan or even next summer. Strengthen now, settle him into the squad and get him playing. If we wait there will be more competition for his signature and we could be back at square one again.

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
Just get in there and get the deal done now. We want the player, the player (according to reports) wants us, it keeps Jose happy, which in turn should make Woody happy. It makes sense to do it now and have the squad the way we need it from day one, instead of trying to do the move in Jan or even next summer. Strengthen now, settle him into the squad and get him playing. If we wait there will be more competition for his signature and we could be back at square one again.
No ways why should United just pay what Levy wants 60 million your having a laugh. Don't give them what he wants wait until Jan Levy will have an unhappy player on board for a few months. Piece of his own medicine.

Relfy

No ways why should United just pay what Levy wants 60 million your having a laugh. Don't give them what he wants wait until Jan Levy will have an unhappy player on board for a few months. Piece of his own medicine.
Levy is a pleb and I kind of agree, but I would rather get the player and have him playing for us for a whole season as opposed to waiting in order to get one over Levy. Furthermore if that scenario plays out and we get Toby in Jan, he might not have played in 5 months so then we have to pay the transfer and then wait for him to reach full match fitness, as well as bedding in with the squad - I think its better for us to get him in now, but obviously negotiate the fee down if possible.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Well which is it ? You say you can't afford to be offering a CB absolutely top level wages, then say the club obviously don't feel he's important enough to justify the kind of money he's after, well if you can't afford to be offering him absolutely top level wages it doesn't matter whether the club feel he's important enough or not because you can't afford to pay him the money he's after, no ?

red thru&thru

It’s obviously about the money? About the same chance of winning the league as we have?

Come on, give some credit/value to our club. People get so wound up with the negativity they hear & read, they lose all prospectiveness!

Nirv

Just give spurs the offer of:
  • 50mil now or
  • 35mil Jan or
  • 25mil next summer
Its the reality of the situation, unless there are truly other clubs wanting Toby as much as we do and provided he wants to join them.

Shiva87

Just give spurs the offer of:
  • 50mil now or
  • 35mil Jan or
  • 25mil next summer
Its the reality of the situation, unless there are truly other clubs wanting Toby as much as we do and provided he wants to join them.
If only transfers were that easy! :lol::lol::lol:

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
There's a lot of uneducated opinion here about Alderweireld and Spurs so I'll fill you in. Before Xmas last year Spurs entered into discussions with the player about extending his contract. Toby indicated to Poch and the club that he would like to stay and extend if his financial expectations were met. Poch went to Levy and told him that if the club could offer what Toby was looking for, he would commit. This salary was high but not too high, around 120k - 150k a week. At that time, no player at Spurs not even Kane were on that figure. Toby gave Poch his word he would commit, so Poch convinced Levy to offer the wages, which they did. Alderweireld's agent /dad, the player, his wife, or a combination of all three, decided that now they weren't happy with what they originally said they wanted, and wanted more.

This fecked off Poch immensely, particularly as Poch has gone to Levy and convinced him to offer the player to break our wage structure. This is why Toby was basically hardly picked for the first team even when he got back fit.

Spurs subsequently gave Kane and others much higher contracts in the summer. Toby, on realising interest in him wasn't as much as he expected it would from the major spanish 2, only United showed serious interest, indicated he would be open to staying if he could then be paid the new top salaries that Kane was now on. Poch wanted him out though, trust had been broken, and Levy was in no mood to offer the guy such a high contract after the way he behaved.

That is basically the jist of it.

He will be a United player in a couple of days no doubt.

Trizy

There's a lot of uneducated opinion here about Alderweireld and Spurs so I'll fill you in. Before Xmas last year Spurs entered into discussions with the player about extending his contract. Toby indicated to Poch and the club that he would like to stay and extend if his financial expectations were met. Poch went to Levy and told him that if the club could offer what Toby was looking for, he would commit. This salary was high but not too high, around 120k - 150k a week. At that time, no player at Spurs not even Kane were on that figure. Toby gave Poch his word he would commit, so Poch convinced Levy to offer the wages, which they did. Alderweireld's agent /dad, the player, his wife, or a combination of all three, decided that now they weren't happy with what they originally said they wanted, and wanted more.

This fecked off Poch immensely, particularly as Poch has gone to Levy and convinced him to offer the player to break our wage structure. This is why Toby was basically hardly picked for the first team even when he got back fit.

Spurs subsequently gave Kane and others much higher contracts in the summer. Toby, on realising interest in him wasn't as much as he expected it would from the major spanish 2, only United showed serious interest, indicated he would be open to staying if he could then be paid the new top salaries that Kane was now on. Poch wanted him out though, trust had been broken, and Levy was in no mood to offer the guy such a high contract after the way he behaved.

That is basically the jist of it.

He will be a United player in a couple of days no doubt.
Don't you know how Redcafe works? Even though you're 100% right, let me break it down for you.

Toby has spend his early teen years and adult years with a one hamstring. He got lucky in Spurs where he was never tested and was easily replaced in January because he's old, almost 40 I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.