Tom Cleverley | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skywarden

He's been outstanding, working his socks off and is always available for a pass.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He's been outstanding, working his socks off and is always available for a pass.
Not only that but his quick thinking and one touch passing under pressure has helped us start some of our most promising moves. For me he's been the pick of the bunch and I genuinely struggle to explain why he wasn't included last weekend.

Varun

Staff
His awareness, movement, 1 touch passing is all top notch. Deserves to play much more.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He's class. By far our best player so far.

Count Orduck

He was great. Ran the midfield, with Fletcher doing the water carrier role and Anderson not turning up.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We did well when we got him into the game and then there was a 10-15 minute spell where we decided to ignore him and go long which frankly didn't work. The low and behold we start giving him the ball again and two goalscoring opportunities suddenly appear? Is there a connection possibly?

Head and shoulders above the rest in terms of technical ability and decision making. Just plays the right pass at the right time 9 times out of 10 and hardly ever gives it away for change.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
He is class in possession and makes things happen.

He also presses very well but his positioning and concentration when defending still lacks at times and he needs to improve on this. Its the only slight weakness holding him back currently imo.

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
He is the new David Batty...likes to keep it simple.
This. He does the simple things well, keeps the ball moving around. He looks a lot more suited to playing a deeper role rather than 10-15 yards up the pitch where he doesn't look particularly penetrative in terms of his passing.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I disagree, I think he do got the defence splitting pass in his locker, he just opts for the more simple tasks because that's what his job are in our side.

Platato

Psst!
He is class in possession and makes things happen.

He also presses very well but his positioning and concentration when defending still lacks at times and he needs to improve on this. Its the only slight weakness holding him back currently imo.
Yep. There were a couple occasions where he let his man get by him too easily and lost his runner in midfield.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Nothing wrong with being simple, he plays the right pass 99% of the time, he'll pick out more passes as he becomes more comfortable in the middle for us. He's one of the few midfielders we have who understands the important of tempo in our play, that's why he and Ando feed off each other so well.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I disagree, I think he do got the defence splitting pass in his locker, he just opts for the more simple tasks because that's what his job are in our side.
I agree with Marj

You have to do more than keep it simple at United. Swansea have players that keep it simple, we need players who make a difference. Besides we have Carrick and Fletcher who keep it simple.

He was OK tonight, better than most of the lads but nothing to get excited about.

gza the genius

I agree with Marj

You have to do more than keep it simple at United. Swansea have players that keep it simple, we need players who make a difference. Besides we have Carrick and Fletcher who keep it simple.

He was OK tonight, better than most of the lads but nothing to get excited about.
There's a huge difference in Carrick/Fletcher keeping it simple compared to Cleverley, that being that Cleverley is constantly moving and opening up space whereas Carrick/Fletcher are much more static.

loki

Broke 1000 posts 5 years ago. Slow going since
I agree with Marj

Its not just keeping it simple, but keeping it simple while playing positive forward passes, not static slow sideways/backwards ones is what is needed badly, and he provides that much.

Platato

Psst!
Although TC keeps it simple, it's an aspect of his game which should be appreciated. In matches when you're under pressure, the player who plays quickly and smartly and ensures the team keeps possession is the player I want in my lineup. That's one thing I have never really understood. Some fans talk about his neat and tidy play as if it's a negative.....

Godfather

Well i for one think he could be a bit more adventerous with his passing at times (when possible).

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Although TC keeps it simple, it's an aspect of his game which should be appreciated. In matches when you're under pressure, the player who plays quickly and smartly and ensures the team keeps possession is the player I want in my lineup. That's one thing I have never really understood. Some fans talk about his neat and tidy play as if it's a negative.....
It is not a bad thing. At a club like Manchester United I feel that you need more than Cleverley is offering, at the moment.

Look, we just don't have the players in the centre of the park. I think that Clev can get better and at least he does have intensity in his play, but I do feel that he needs to get more to his game than he is showing at the moment.

Godfather

It is not a bad thing. At a club like Manchester United I feel that you need more than Cleverley is offering, at the moment.

Look, we just don't have the players in the centre of the park. I think that Clev can get better and at least he does have intensity in his play, but I do feel that he needs to get more to his game than he is showing at the moment.
I'd agree. He's a pretty good player, but something's still missing from his game. Might come with age though.

Ash_G

I think there were a lot of positives from him today but I think it also showed his current drawbacks. Defensively he works hard but I think he can over omit to the challenge and so can get bypassed to easy, needs to pick up how to contain from fletch whilst retaining his bite in the tackle. Offensively I think he just lacks that bit of skill/speed to get away from someone in confined areas and the final killer ball and so I don't think he can play too far forward. But I think as the link between the deeper midfielder and the attacking mid he will shine.

Godfather

I think there were a lot of positives from him today but I think it also showed his current drawbacks. Defensively he works hard but I think he can over omit to the challenge and so can get bypassed to easy, needs to pick up how to contain from fletch whilst retaining his bite in the tackle. Offensively I think he just lacks that bit of skill/speed to get away from someone in confined areas and the final killer ball and so I don't think he can play too far forward. But I think as the link between the deeper midfielder and the attacking mid he will shine.
That's the thing that worries me a bit. Haven't seen him play many dangerous through passes or creative things so far. That's why I said I'd like him to play a bit more adventurously, just to see if he's got it in him.

Ash_G

That's the thing that worries me a bit. Haven't seen him play many dangerous through passes or creative things so far. That's why I said I'd like him to play a bit more adventurously, just to see if he's got it in him.
I don't think it's a big part of his game, I was quite surprised though when I saw his stats in terms of chances created in the league and he is apparently bottom of the list with ando even in terms of a average per game. But that's why I think he'll be better as the guy between the deeper player and a/m and reckon he'd thrive in a 433.

Platato

Psst!

I think those aspects are there. He just doesn't show them enough. When you see players who play killer passes well, they pick out their target and most of the time, it results in a chance or at least creating an opening for another teammate. Problem with Cleverley is in these type of situations, he hesitates too much and by the time he makes up his mind, the opportunity to play the killer pass is gone. I notice that he does look for it but he just spots it way too late.

Devil may care

Very good in the first, quieter in the second. I think we lost some of our flow when we went 4-4-2 and he had to drop deeper.

Brightonian

I think those aspects are there. He just doesn't show them enough. When you see players who play killer passes well, they pick out their target and most of the time, it results in a chance or at least creating an opening for another teammate. Problem with Cleverley is in these type of situations, he hesitates too much and by the time he makes up his mind, the opportunity to play the killer pass is gone. I notice that he does look for it but he just spots it way too late.
To be fair, adventurous play comes with confidence. Cleverley's performances have certainly been good enough to give him confidence, but he's not being given a string of them. If Fergie would just give him the long run of games he deserves, I think you'd see him build on his strong possession football and show more and more ambition and edge.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
To be fair, adventurous play comes with confidence. Cleverley's performances have certainly been good enough to give him confidence, but he's not being given a string of them. If Fergie would just give him the long run of games he deserves, I think you'd see him build on his strong possession football and show more and more ambition and edge.
I just think SAF's being careful with him considering his past injury record.

Platato

Psst!
I just think SAF's being careful with him considering his past injury record.
Ye. I think it will come but he does need a string of matches. He's got it in his locker but as you said Brightonian, it's a confidence thing. There's a reason players who pull off the killer balls consistently are so highly rated. It's a very difficult thing to do.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
I watched the Barca vs Spartak game before the United game and the commentator said this about Xavi Hernandez:

"The special thing about Xavi is he calculates the percentage of the pass reaching his target, and only passes it when he knows he'll reach his man."

Whilst the same can't exactly be said for Tom yet, you're right in the fact that people seem to under appreciate his "playing the percentages" style of play. There were times in the Barca match where I was thinking why Xavi wasn't passing it to an unmarked team-mate, then lo and behold half a second later the player was being marked and Xavi had spread the ball to the opposite side of the pitch, and had initiated an attack.

Sometimes it's not even a confidence issue about playing the killer ball, it's actually confidence that chooses not to and chooses to keep possession. I bet some players would be angry at Tom for not attempting to play them through, and instead choosing to play it simple.

Platato

Psst!
I watched the Barca vs Spartak game before the United game and the commentator said this about Xavi Hernandez:

"The special thing about Xavi is he calculates the percentage of the pass reaching his target, and only passes it when he knows he'll reach his man."

Whilst the same can't exactly be said for Tom yet, you're right in the fact that people seem to under appreciate his "playing the percentages" style of play. There were times in the Barca match where I was thinking why Xavi wasn't passing it to an unmarked team-mate, then lo and behold half a second later the player was being marked and Xavi had spread the ball to the opposite side of the pitch, and had initiated an attack.

Sometimes it's not even a confidence issue about playing the killer ball, it's actually confidence that chooses not to and chooses to keep possession. I bet some players would be angry at Tom for not attempting to play them through, and instead choosing to play it simple.
Good insight. Question then becomes when is it best to play the killer ball? Some situations it's clear-cut. Other times, it's a bit tough to say and maybe that's what separates the men from the boys.

I still side with the confidence viewpoint simply because of the way he hesitated with some of passes tonight. There were some opportunities to play it through but he didn't do it. Good thing though is he did keep possession in those situations so continued to work their defense.

It's interesting you quoted that Xavi and it's a good observation. I find it interesting since it's well-known Tom is a huge admirer of Xavi and Iniesta. Tom may have been applying the same ideals in the game tonight.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
There's a huge difference in Carrick/Fletcher keeping it simple compared to Cleverley, that being that Cleverley is constantly moving and opening up space whereas Carrick/Fletcher are much more static.
Precisely, with Tom it isn't the passes he plays as they aren't particularly expansive at all - it's the tempo he plays at that sets him apart from our other midfielders in possession.

Ash_G

That's true but we're seeing the benefits of that in a much more narrow system where there are numerous short passes available an people to cover for each other. As we saw when we went 442, you lose that, as clev did. Tbf to fletch I though whilst he wasn't as quick as ando or clev he moved the ball pretty well, particularly with passing it through the centre where there were lots of bodies.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Yeah that was the narrowest we have played all season by far, Ferguson really went for the diamond properly. Short passes are certainly suited there, but like I said I don't think his passes are anything special, they are just quick and followed by movement off the ball. Pass and move sounds really simple but Clev is probably the best in the team at doing it, certainly the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.