Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.

datura

I noticed that Henri Lansbury came on for him (the Arsenal youngster) who was very impressive for England u19s. Watford have got themselves 2 very talented youngsters there, hopefully they will be televised a few times this season.

cj_sparky

He is a talented lad, but I wouldn't go as far as saying he is as talented as Welbeck.

One thing definately on Cleverley's side, is the fact that he has a great drive and superb workrate. He is good on the ball and has a cracking little shot.

Although I must say, I think that our current batch of youngsters as a collective group, seem to be very hungry, driven and have good work rates.

x42bn6

To be fair it has been part of our players for a while - Eckersley, Eagles, Richardson and Campbell, for example, had good attitudes in our Academy/Reserves. Can't remember the last time you'd call one of our brought-through youngsters Berba - I mean - lazy.

Another attribute you find in our players is flexibility - a lot of our youngsters are capable of playing in at least 2 positions, which I suspect helps them find teams willing to loan or buy them.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
He is a talented lad, but I wouldn't go as far as saying he is as talented as Welbeck.

One thing definately on Cleverley's side, is the fact that he has a great drive and superb workrate. He is good on the ball and has a cracking little shot.

Although I must say, I think that our current batch of youngsters as a collective group, seem to be very hungry, driven and have good work rates.
His most impressive attribute so far is grabbing the chances he has been given. There have been more talented players than him to play for the first team who just couldn't hack it and produce their best when given a chance.

To be fair it has been part of our players for a while - Eckersley, Eagles, Richardson and Campbell, for example, had good attitudes in our Academy/Reserves. Can't remember the last time you'd call one of our brought-through youngsters Berba - I mean - lazy.

Another attribute you find in our players is flexibility - a lot of our youngsters are capable of playing in at least 2 positions, which I suspect helps them find teams willing to loan or buy them.
Gibson was very lazy for a long while. Seems to have picked his act up now though...

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Cleverley's one of those lads who could have done lots of sports, isn't he? He was a good athlete IIRC. The good thing about that is that he's very probably got a strong sportsman's attitude, is competitive and will train hard. Together with his ability, that gives him a chance.

Chris H

Video Posting God
Set up Watford's only goal today, quickly taken free kick to put a teammate through on goal. Earned them a point.

EDIT: Thanks to poster mav_9me from the Newbies for pointing out that footage of this match, and all of Watford's matches, is available here. Depending on what part of the world you live in though, you might not be able to see all clips - there are rights issues.

prateik

was just going through a watford forum to see how he was doing ..

looking good.
I can really see Cleverley actually making it as a Premier League player. Whether he gets the chance at Man Uts, I am not too sure but the lad has ability and tons of energy.

Cleverley 9 - MOTM. Run his heart out all game.
Cleverley- 7 Attacked well, nice passes, intelligent, worked very hard and won tackles.
Cleverly was very good was very committed and did some very good passed.
Lansbury and Cleverly look terrific prospects and I predict they'll have a decent shout at first team action at Arsenal & Man Utd respectively... Looking at some of their movement and ability I just thought to myself, if they were a product of our youth setup, they'd be sold very, very quickly... Sad... I was at Forest away and Cleverly looked the business that night too...
Cleverly 8 - Showed his class when linking up with Lansbury.

PS18

Has been the same after every one of his games for them so far, they love him. 4 or 5 of them have pictures of him as their avatars/signatures already :D

Chris H

Video Posting God
Cleverley 9 - MOTM. Run his heart out all game.
Championship is fast and furious, good to see he's in top shape already. Wish we could say the same for Anderson, who is one year older.

x42bn6

The Watford team out against Barnsley apparently had nobody over 6 feet... :houllier:

Always liked Cleverley's attitude and work rate, and he's playing behind a classy Lansbury and a youthful, attacking Watford side. I think this could be a successful loan for Cleverley.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Scored again!

'Tom Cleverley scores a goal from close in to the top right corner of the goal. Plymouth 0-1 Watford. '
Nice finish, very Scholes like half volley direct from a corner. Be absolutely brilliant if this form continues.Keep fingers crossed but we haven't produced a goal scoring midfielder since the Ginger one and young Cleverley seems to have that knack of getting into scoring positions.

datura

Not seen the goal yet, the Malky Mackay seems impressed though, with his attitude and personality as well as his performances:

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | W | Watford | Mackay impressed with Cleverley

Mackay impressed with Cleverley

Watford boss Malky Mackay says he has been impressed with midfielder Tom Cleverley's efforts since joining on loan from Manchester United last month.

The 20-year-old scored the winner for the Hornets just four minutes into their match at Plymouth on Tuesday.

And Mackay told BBC London 94.9: "He's a great character, so enthusiastic and has shown in every game he's quality.

"He's actually scored goals, he's set up goals and he's shown a real willingness to be a team player."

After a loan spell with Leicester City last season, Cleverley has now netted three times in five games for Watford.

Since joining the Vicarage Road outfit in August, Mackay says Cleverley has fitted in well in his youthful squad, who are beginning to show a lot of initiative.

"They've been really alive the youngsters as far as that's concerned," the Watford boss said. "You know they're alive to any sort of little effort.

"You play on a quick free-kick if someone doesn't pick you up. We worked it again from the corner two or three times but the one that counted obviously scored the goal and it's just something like that, that wins the game. "

And speaking after Tuesday's 1-0 win at Plymouth, Mackay said he is confident in his side's future potential as they continue to develop.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
I said this in the internationals thread:

samabachan said:
Cleverley has come on a ridiculous amount since he broke into the reserves. I can genuinely see him as almost an Iniesta style option for us in future (i.e. could play any position in midfield - left right centre, defensive, box-to-box or attacking). He's got great technique and he isn't a bad dribbler either.

Note for the spastics - I am not saying he is ever necessarily going to be even in the same league as Iniesta, just that he could play a similar role in our squad.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I notice that his name keeps popping up on Soccer Saturday every week. Five goals now. Can someone fill me in on what type of player he is and what his progress is like? When is he coming back to United?

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Got the winner against big opposition, good performance from the lad.

x42bn6

I notice that his name keeps popping up on Soccer Saturday every week. Five goals now. Can someone fill me in on what type of player he is and what his progress is like? When is he coming back to United?
Former full-back-turned central midfield dynamo capable of playing on the wing too. Hard-working and loves getting stuck in and getting forward. Fantastic attitude and work rate. Used to run our games for the Reserves.

He's come on leaps-and-bounds the past year or so.

He's on a 6-month loan at Watford but I'd imagine they'd want to extend the loan to the end of the season at this rate.

I do have my doubts on whether he'll be good enough for us eventually but he has a very bright future with a Premier League club. I do hope he gets a chance with us like Gibson.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Can we bring him back in January? May be quite useful as our main area of weakness remains out wide. I'd rather see Cleverley on the left flank than Welbeck who really shouldn't play out wide and be utilised further forward.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
For me, Tom has shown that he deserves a chance to make a career at United. It's not just what he's done at lower levels, he's done well for the reserves and when he's been given a game or two for United albiet in pre season he looks at home.

For me he's a United player in waiting and has been for a while now. He is a very consistant performer

prateik

first saw him in preseason 2 years back . hadnt heard much about him before that .. has come a long way .. great to see the reserves doing well .. always is

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Former full-back-turned central midfield dynamo capable of playing on the wing too. Hard-working and loves getting stuck in and getting forward. Fantastic attitude and work rate. Used to run our games for the Reserves.

He's come on leaps-and-bounds the past year or so.

He's on a 6-month loan at Watford but I'd imagine they'd want to extend the loan to the end of the season at this rate.

I do have my doubts on whether he'll be good enough for us eventually but he has a very bright future with a Premier League club. I do hope he gets a chance with us like Gibson.
Yeah, I could have sworn that I heard he was a defender originally.

It's quite exciting that we are nurturing a goalscoring midfield player. I know it's only the Championship, but generally, if you've got a knack for timing your run and being in the right position then goals will flow in the PL as well.

Gabe

A United gem unearthed and a real superstar in the making

Football FanCast guest columnist Bill Penrice feels that United have a potential superstar in the making with Tom Cleverley.

Why Arsenal are always the team that are heralded for their bringing through of youth, or the nurturing of young players, it is United set-up for me that produces top quality year one year, and where the young gunners tend to move to oblivion when they leave the Emirates, the United kids tend to still carve a living at the top levels of the game.

As an outsider looking in I have always felt that a big reason for United's success over the years has been that the core of the team has always been made up of homegrown players. Scholes, Giggs, Neville, move on to the next era to O'Shea, Fletcher, Gibson and in the next coming you have the likes of the Da Silva twins, Welbeck and Tom Cleverley; the latter in particular is a potential superstar in the making and a player who's versatility will give Ferguson an embarrassment of riches.

I'm a Watford fan and we have benefitted a lot from United over the years and Cleverley has arguably been the pick of the bunch. Once again today at the Riverside he struck the winner, his 5th goal of the season already, but his all round game was absolutely immense once again. They say there is a huge gap in class between the Premier League and the Championship, and whilst this is true, the difference between the players is just as vast and there has not been one team that has been able to handle the kid this season and he is absolutely a class apart.

There is no question that Cleverley is going right to the top and Ferguson has a real talent at his disposal that will help United maintain their dynasty in English football. There isn't a chance that Sir Alex will let him fall by the waste side, as not only does his versatility give United a variety of options, but for me he seems like one of the finest young talents to come out of United in years and there is no level to what he can achieve in the game. This isn't an overreaction to a few games in the Championship, hey he proved it for England U21s in the past week and United fans should be getting extremely excited about him, because as I said at the start of the piece that they have potential superstar on their hands here.

A United gem unearthed and a real superstar in the making | Football News | Blogs| Podcasts | Premier League | Championship | Football Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.