Tom Huddlestone

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
While at the same time I kind of like the innovation behind this type of deal, I still find myself wondering why it would be beneficial for anyone starting Huddlestone as a CB in a U21s game while having three fit defenders on the bench. And even if we didn't, surely it'd be wiser to give some young player experience out of position. I'd understand this more in a Papa John's Trophy match helping out and guiding the young players against grown men. And of course when we're struggling with injuries it's maybe better to play him than say a 15-year old CB. Especially as some PL clubs still use the PL2 to give minutes to first team players struggling for fitness or coming back from injuries.

I'm not saying it's impossible to get both; Huddlestone's experience and leadership on the pitch and developing the academy players, but I just caught myself watching the PL2 play Palace and thinking what the point of it is or whether it is the best thing for our academy players. Looked funny seeing him against Barca too. To me McShane was also able to bring something to the U21s while Huddlestone just looks completely out of place (and shape).

Last edited:

Mickson

While at the same time I kind of like the innovation behind this type of deal, I still find myself wondering why it would be beneficial for anyone starting Huddlestone as a CB in a U21s game while having three fit defenders on the bench. And even if we didn't, surely it'd be wiser to give some young player experience out of position. I'd understand this more in a Papa John's Trophy match helping out and guiding the young players against grown men. And of course when we're struggling with injuries it's maybe better to play him than say a 15-year old CB. Especially as some PL clubs still use the PL2 to give minutes to first team players struggling for fitness or coming back from injuries.

I'm not saying it's impossible to get both; Huddlestone's experience and leadership on the pitch and developing the academy players, but I just caught myself watching the PL2 play Palace and thinking what the point of it is or whether it is the best thing for our academy players. Looked funny seeing him against Barca too. To me McShane was also able to bring something to the U21s while Huddlestone just looks completely out of place (and shape).
I was baffled when he took a free kick close to the goal as well. I mean, man, let the younger ones try.

Mike Smalling

I was always a big fan of how he strikes the ball. Very clean. Should get the nod next to Casemiro, I think. He might be a bit leggy, but has bags of experience.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I met him randomly last summer in a Co-Op in Colliers Wood and he agreed to take a photo with me.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I met him randomly last summer in a Co-Op in Colliers Wood and he agreed to take a photo with me.
i accidentally walked across the set whilst he was filming a scene in one of the thor films and he called me a tuna melt and wiggled his finger around his temple, indicating that i was mentally deficient.

Red & White

i accidentally walked across the set whilst he was filming a scene in one of the thor films and he called me a tuna melt and wiggled his finger around his temple, indicating that i was mentally deficient.
This did tickle me!

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
“I've had some great feedback but there's definitely been a bit of confusion (about him playing U21s football) as well!"

“I've played the last five or six games, which isn't the intended plan.

“The motive is to help the lads and get them as much game time as possible but Kobbie [Mainoo] and Willy [Kambwala] have been up with the first-team, and midfielder Dan Gore is out on loan. The team at the moment almost picks itself."

“I've still got to be able to compete if called upon so I'll often train with the under-21s team.

“I'm currently playing but from a coaching standpoint, I'm there to help the lads out tactically and implement the work we've gone through in the week. If they happen to forget certain things, I’m here as a constant reminder.

“For example, when there's a drinks break, I'll often go over to the lads and let them know they should have taken an extra touch, or to swivel and play forwards.”

“We’ll sit down ahead of the season and each player will tell us their three targets.

"They’ll talk about what they perceive to be their strengths and weaknesses, and what they feel that the staff can help them with, which could be additional technical or tactical work. That might mean an extra 35-40 minutes going through video clips of their games and training sessions. It varies from player to player.”

“The coaching staff have been open with us and we're trying to implement a few of their ideas to make it an easier transition if any of the lads are to step up or join them for training. This includes build-up play and the way we press.

"I think an important one, which a lot of the lads haven't done, is the way the first-team is set up from set pieces. We've had meetings with the staff regarding that and we'll mirror what they do. If you're a young lad and get thrown on in the last ten minutes of a game, and you don't know what you're doing at set pieces, you'll soon find yourself out of the team.”

“It (players recently getting to the first team) shows that if you're consistent enough in training and have the ability, then you’ve got a chance.

“We’ve already seen the manager isn’t shy when it comes to keeping academy players in and around that first-team environment.”

“On my first day at Carrington, I came up and had a look at the lads in training.

“I was speaking to a friend on the way back home and said, ‘There are two lads who stood out during that session and one of them is a player called Kobbie Mainoo. He looks like a younger version of Yaya Toure.’

“The other player was Omari [Forson]. He reminds me of the way Bukayo Saka plays. He's good with both feet and can finish very well, especially with his left foot.”

“Two or three months into last season and Kobbie had already smashed all of his targets and then by the end of it, he was training regularly with the first-team.

"To do what he’s doing as an 18-year-old, at a club of this size, is some going. It looks like he's been doing it for years. He's as composed as anyone I've ever seen and that comes from self-confidence in your touch, your manipulation of the ball and your passing ability."

“I think it (the hybrid role) is good on all levels. It can really benefit the club.

“Myself and Jay [Spearing] are players that have played at a high level fairly recently, so you get their respect that way. If they do decide to search our name on Wikipedia, they can have a look and see what we've done.

“I also think it also gives another layer of confidence in reinforcing the manager's idea. Travis [Binnion], in this instance, is being backed up by somebody who has that experience. We know the demands of league football, which is ultimately what all the players are trying to carve out for themselves.

“I've noticed I see different things when I’m playing compared to what I’d see if I was on the touchline.

”From the hybrid role person's point of view, you get to see all the behind-the-scenes stuff regarding coaching while also contributing on the pitch. It’s been excellent to see that side of it. And equally, I'm still getting a competitive fix by training most days and playing games as and when I'm needed.”
For those who don’t know, Spearing has a similar role at Liverpool.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Can he play tonight? Jokes aside, can he actually play for our first team if it came to it?