Film Tomb Raider - 2018 movie

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Either I’m wrong or there isn’t a thread for this yet - and I’m never wrong.

Saw this the other week and it was utter shit. It’s essentially just two hours of Lara Learns How To Do Stuff. Lara learns how grapple and punch people, Lara learns how to escape from a group of people, Lara learns how to solve puzzles, Lara learns how to do research. And then, feck me, Lara uses all of these things to get out of situations! Lara grapples and punches a guy to death, then she escapes from a group of people, then she comes back and solves a puzzle for them, but then she thinks back to her research and saves everyone.

Then she picks up two guns and poses for the camera as if to say “hey look at this reference to my game character”.

When it was announced that they were rebooting the movies and tying them in closely to the rebooted games I had high hopes, but other than her clothes and having her marooned on a mysterious island there’s nothing else. It’s just a cookie cutter movie about some arsehole bad guy who wants stuff and an origin story that forgets the story part. Oh, and there’s a plot twist that no one sees coming because it’s fecking pointless. It was probably forced in at the end of production when the director was reminded that this was meant to be a franchise.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
It's the first one in the reboot?
I suppose I'll be OK with a "she's learning and being set up for future badassery" movie, but Lara Croft in my eyes is supposed to be this badass woman able to do just about anything herself.
Granted I was never super into TR but I do seem to have my mind set on how she's supposed to be a more awesome version of Indiana Jones (ability-wise).

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It's the first one in the reboot?
I suppose I'll be OK with a "she's learning and being set up for future badassery" movie, but Lara Croft in my eyes is supposed to be this badass woman able to do just about anything herself.
Granted I was never super into TR but I do seem to have my mind set on how she's supposed to be a more awesome version of Indiana Jones (ability-wise).
It’s the sheer balls up of everything they put into the movie when it’s comes to her origin story. I forgot about the other thing that she learns at the start of the film - archery - which comes in handy later on in the film. It’s just sheer lazy development imo. Show someone figuring out how to do something earlier and then echo it later on, rinse and repeat.

el3mel

Didn't watch it but that was because I was predicting it won't be good like all the rest of her movies anyway.

I prefer to keep my relation with Lara bound to games only.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
If she had all of these unexplained skills wouldn't people call her a mary sue like they do with Rey though? I thought the point of this film (and the reboot of the game) was to show her putting all of her skills together in a life or death situation.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
She's hot.
She's the one from Ex Machina isn't she? Looked absolutely stunning in that. But I saw an interview recently and she looked nowhere near as incredbile. I suppose the serene/proper role of the machine/cyborg allows for a sense of perfection.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Just about 15 minutes of her practising on her mansion assault course and running around the maze while the butler follows her would have been enough surely?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Just about 15 minutes of her practising on her mansion assault course and running around the maze while the butler follows her would have been enough surely?
Can you lock him in the freezer.

Did anyone not lock him in the freezer?

Sylar

It was basically a chapter 1 movie
If there's no chapter 2 this will look even worse in time

The main character was good
Rest was meh but I didn't mind it
Didn't hate it

They had 2 options. Show her learning stuff like a video game tutorial to use later
Or she already has stuff and uses it and people say 'of course she has that skill just when she needs it'

The Hilton

I thought it was alright - it's basically a rip off of the reboot game, and missing a bunch of the length and character growth that made the game's story great.

But still, a fun popcorn film in and of itself.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
If I can't stand Alicia Vikander I'm guessing I will not like this movie. I really wish they had gone for someone else. Then again - it seems like Tomb Raider will never reach the status of a Indiana Jones so perhaps it doesn't really matter who plays Lara.

Revan

Assumptionman
I thought it was alright and it wasn't utter shit like most video game based movies are. At the same time it wasn't that much entertaining and these type of movies should be entertaining. Still, not being shit is a progress.

Oh, I like Alicia Vikander but she had exaggerated with her training.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I've just turned this on for some background viewing. Feels cheap straight away. Amazed to see it cost £90m to film on imdb. Feels more like Bend It Like Beckham than Hollywood.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I've just turned this on for some background viewing. Feels cheap straight away. Amazed to see it cost £90m to film on imdb. Feels more like Bend It Like Beckham than Hollywood.
That reminds me I still have it sitting in my digital library. And I still can't get myself to watch it because I know I'll be annoyed with Vikander.