Tonali & Zaniolo questioned by Italian police for illegal betting activities | Tonali charged by FA for betting while at Newcastle

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
How hard is it for footballers earning tens if not hundreds of thousands a week to simply not bet on football matches?

FriedClams

How hard is it for footballers earning tens if not hundreds of thousands a week to simply not bet on football matches?
a lot of them it’s because their mates do it based on stuff the footballer knows

arthurka

Wait what, this can't be true. Footballer betting on football never happens.

Oranges038

Oh no, this is just awful news.

I can only assume they will have to be suspended and also might have to go back home for a while, the poor lads. That's going to be awful for them, to be back at home in Italy not being able to play football.

glasgow 21

Same as why do they not take a taxi instead of drink driving.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Didn't even realise Zaniolo is at Villa.

macheda14

Same as why do they not take a taxi instead of drink driving.
Don’t know if that’s the best analogy. Drink driving you’re in an inebriated state and think you’re fine to drive home and you won’t be caught. Betting on your own football matches isn’t really going to scratch the surface in how much you earn already.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
Don’t know if that’s the best analogy. Drink driving you’re in an inebriated state and think you’re fine to drive home and you won’t be caught. Betting on your own football matches isn’t really going to scratch the surface in how much you earn already.
You say this as if this was about money.. Gambling is an addiction. Same as alcoholism. You can just leave your car at home by the way it’s not as if drink driving is a force of nature that cannot be prevented. And you can treat a gambling addiction if you admit that you have one.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
1 year ban for Zaniola and 50k fine for Tonali
if they bet on football matches it's 3years ban min and I guess it will apply even if they now play in UK

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
You say this as if this was about money.. Gambling is an addiction. Same as alcoholism. You can just leave your car at home by the way it’s not as if drink driving is a force of nature that cannot be prevented. And you can treat a gambling addiction if you admit that you have one.
Well said.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
if they bet on football matches it's 3years ban min and I guess it will apply even if they now play in UK
Is this an Italian rule?

Toney got an 8 month ban here, would this ban depend on where they played during the alleged betting offences?

Nickelodeon

Would've been significantly bigger news if they belonged to a certain club

CallyRed

They probably didn't bet on themselves swapping Milan and Rome for Newcastle and Birmingham, that's for sure.

Chuckle.

Brophs

The One and Only
Coincidence that there you can almost spell Tonali from Zaniolo? Or something more sinister.

Not for me to say.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
Is this an Italian rule?

Toney got an 8 month ban here, would this ban depend on where they played during the alleged betting offences?
yeah rules says 3 or more years if you bet on football. Doesn't matter if you bet on South korean league or whatever.

Also rumors are Zaniolo betted on Roma matches even when he was on bench. Crazy stuff.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Coincidence that there you can almost spell Tonali from Zaniolo? Or something more sinister.

Not for me to say.
What do you get if you remove the shared letters from "Tonali Zaniolo"?

That's right, you get "T Zo".

How many letters are in "T Zo"?

That's right, three. The same number as there are in the word "bet".

But what does "T Zo" mean?

A TZO (or a Thorne-Zytkow object) also known as a hybrid star, is a conjectured type of star wherein a red giant or red supergiant contains a neutron star at its core, formed from the collision of the giant with the neutron star.

Who is also a red giant (or red supergiant)?

That's right, Manchester United.

And what about the "neutron star" at the "core" of Manchester United?

Well, "neutron" in this instance is a reference to head size, as in Nickelodeon legend Jimmy Neutron's massive bonce, and "star" refers to the player's perceived ability within the squad. Who does this refer to?

That's right, mister win percentage himself, Harry Maguire.

It would be unfair to blame Sandro Tonali and Nicolo Zaniolo for these apparent crimes, when all of the evidence points towards them being the deeds of Harry Maguire.

Brophs

The One and Only

A TZO (or a Thorne-Zytkow object) also known as a hybrid star, is a conjectured type of star wherein a red giant or red supergiant contains a neutron star at its core, formed from the collision of the giant with the neutron star.

Well, "neutron" in this instance is a reference to head size, as in Nickelodeon legend Jimmy Neutron's massive bonce, and "star" refers to the player's perceived ability within the squad. Who does this refer to?

It would be unfair to blame Sandro Tonali and Nicolo Zaniolo for these apparent crimes, when all of the evidence points towards them being the deeds of Harry Maguire.
Goes without saying, tbf.

Rossa

Thanks for the explanation, which of course makes perfect sense, but as brophs said, it goes without saying.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Sandro is well known in Italy as an addiction gambler, this guy plays everything. In fact, if the investigation is being expanded, you will see a lot of players involve in this shithousery.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
There are news/rumors that the other players found in Fagioli's Whatsapp are:

Bastoni and Barella for Inter
Romagnoli e Pellegrini for Lazio
Zawlesky e Volpato - Roma

and they say a big name from Juventus.
At this point IF I have to guess it's Chiesa
Since those people are close friends

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan

Yeah, it has a chance like you said. They are close together a lot than we think.

HJ12

That's some big names :eek:. No way they chuck lengthy bans at all of them - would cripple the national team.

babablue

I read this in Cartman's voice

Superden

Harry Maguire is Q. No wonder the Glazers wont sell. they cant until the pizza sex rings have been exposed. (thats not a euphemism, and dont go there @Chipper, now that youve got time on your hands)

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Just ban Italian football ffs
Betting in football is a big problem, not just in Italy. Toney, Trippier, Gosling, Sturridge, Townsend in recent years have had fines/bans in regards to betting in England. Lower league players are probably at it a lot more, my local club had a player banned for it a couple years ago.

That being said, I don't know what Tonali, Zaniolo and Fagiolo have done other than hearing that Tonali and Zaniolo in particular have huge gambling problems.

Danger5

I believe fining and banning players for betting at the same time as welcoming gambling sponsorships on shirts/stadiums/every single advert on a sporting programme or YouTube channel with open arms is comfortably worse, tbh.

It's bizarre to me that the powers that be seek out these punishments while openly targeting the exact same impressionable demographic for exploitation through gambling sponsorships and 24/7 exposure. It's a vicious cycle that will only get worse.

MassVolto

Supports
Milan
I believe fining and banning players for betting at the same time as welcoming gambling sponsorships on shirts/stadiums/every single advert on a sporting programme or YouTube channel with open arms is comfortably worse, tbh.

It's bizarre to me that the powers that be seek out these punishments while openly targeting the exact same impressionable demographic for exploitation through gambling sponsorships and 24/7 exposure. It's a vicious cycle that will only get worse.
It's kinda like having AA meetings held at Heineken's headquarters.

Buckie

Supports
Arsenal
Hopefully Tonali is guilty and gets the full 3 year ban.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum

Formula 1 drivers don't drink and drive because Heineken sponsors the sport.

There's a level of professionalism expected of someone earning tens of thousands a week, even people serving alcohol in a pub would be fired for drinking while doing their job.

Don't give this idiots an excuse for at best, a lack of professionalism, or at worst something sinister like match fixing.

90 + 5min

Italy gonna Italy.
Beautiful country but its bonkers how often these things happen. At least it seems there are good people who have the power to go after it.
I wouldn't say Italy gonna Italy. At least they don't hide away from problems and actually do something about that when it comes to light. We are still waiting on Premier League doing something about ManCity charges.

However, everyone of those players being involved should be banned for life. Depending on if it is true, what games that was and seriousity of it.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
It's kinda like having AA meetings held at Heineken's headquarters.
Pretty much. It has become almost impossible for clean gambling addicts to watch football. We need to get rid of all gambling sponsorships and the like. I’m against prohibition. But allowing gambling companies to take up all this advertising space is a complete disaster and needs to be stopped. Let gambling be legal but outlaw any advertisement.