Toni Kroos | Retiring after Euro 2024

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
If he had stronger PR he would easily win Ballon d'Or this year, especially if he goes far with Germany.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Im really happy for him.
Some of even the biggest stars ever demolish their legacy by playing way after their peak (hello Cristiano, hello Lionel) but he is going out at the very top and you have to respect that.

Now go on and win the EC with germany and maybe even get the Ballon d'Or for the greatest finish of a sports career ever.
How on earth have either demolished their legacy? Especially Messi. Left Europe with a Ballon d'or and WC win. Ronaldo burned some bridges but that was mainly his persona.

thisisnottaken1

Won the Champions League - his sixth - in his last ever club game. Imagine if he won the Euros with Germany on home soil as well. Would be quite something.

Getting him lined up for us was one of the few good things Moyes did, only for LvG to go “nah” and let it go, allowing Real Madrid to sign him instead. Truth be told, it was probably a much better career move for him. He would not have won anything near as much if he played for us and it’d probably be like most of our other post-Fergie signings.

Stadjer

Im really happy for him.
Some of even the biggest stars ever demolish their legacy by playing way after their peak (hello Cristiano, hello Lionel) but he is going out at the very top and you have to respect that.

Now go on and win the EC with germany and maybe even get the Ballon d'Or for the greatest finish of a sports career ever.
Kroos isnt going to win the Ballon d'Or but the holder of the Ballon d'Or being a retired player would be very funny :lol:

KD6-3.7

One of the greatest midfielders of his generation, still could easily have a few more years in him but I always admire when a player decides to retire on top.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Thank you for everything Toni :(:(to the final end. That assist on Carvajal was no accident, tried it minutes earlier and Carvajal headed it over.

We’ll miss him and what a beautiful ending to his time with us. I was at his debut at the SB and even got a shirt with his name on the back. Was so excited about him joining us. Loved what he did at Bayern and the NT and knew we had signed someone special. Fitted into our midfield seamlessly. What a player.

Hope he gets a good farewell with the NT as well.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
How on earth have either demolished their legacy? Especially Messi. Left Europe with a Ballon d'or and WC win. Ronaldo burned some bridges but that was mainly his persona.
Playing for money only, not for the love of football is an issue for me, so this applies more to Ronaldo than to Messi know.

But I rate Kroos much higher for calling the Saudis out and the players who take their blood money.

That said I also appreciate players a lot who effectively end their top level career but continue on a lower level.

Stories like Lukas Podolski playing for Gornik Zabrze because he promised his grandma he would play there some day are just so much better than Ronaldo getting that last huge paycheck.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Thank you for everything Toni :(:(to the final end. That assist on Carvajal was no accident, tried it minutes earlier and Carvajal headed it over.
Yeah, mentioned it before: Kroos' set piece delivery has been a big (and probably underrated) part of his impact. Especially considering how many goals come from set piece situations nowadays (about 1/3 iirc, not sure if this includes pens though). Decisive again yesterday.

es-muellert

Supports
Bayern München
Playing for money only, not for the love of football is an issue for me, so this applies more to Ronaldo than to Messi know.
What's the fundamental difference between playing in the Saudi League compared to the US league?

- Quality-wise I'd say both are poor. Hard to tell which one is poorer. If I had to guess, I'd say Saudi League is probably slightly stronger based on the players they signed
- Money-wise both earn a shit load of money, and with Messi's Apple and Adidas deals, it's hard to say who earns more.
- If you're thinking about politics here, both countries do not fully honor human rights and have a terrible track record when it comes to foreign politics

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Yeah Messi may be a stretch, but his time at PSG was disappointing and playing in the MLS against teams that would be in 2nd or 3rd division in big european leagues isnt that impressive either.

But Ronaldo definitely hurt his legacy I think. From the bad performances and drama he caused at United to celebrating himself for breaking a record in the Saudi league...just look at social media, he is becoming a meme and laughed about. They make fail compilations of his misses and everything.
He lost a ton of respect.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Neither Ronaldo nor Messi have tarnished their legacy by going to inferior leagues. People are rightfully making fun of Ronaldo and his fans because they treat the Saudi League and his goals as if it's something relevant. These are separate things.
Kroos also has said that he doesn't mind people going somewhere at the end of their career to get big money, he was just very critical of young players going to Saudi when they still could make a great career in Europe while earning 7 figures.

I think people misunderstand a bit what Kroos is referring to as "retiring at the top." It's less about continuing in inferior leagues but more about him not wanting to become a victim of his own success in the sense that some players continue to cling to their belief that they're still as good as they were 5 years ago when that clearly isn't the case anymore. The kind of players that use their status at the club to still demand a starting position, still want relevant minutes etc. or hold young players back. I think he was afraid of that and not about what people would think if he were to add a few more years in the US.