Toni Kroos | Retiring after Euro 2024

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
For me, Modric and Kroos were a better duo than Xavi and Iniesta. Especially in terms of defensive contribution and versatility to adapt to different schemes.

Xavi and Iniesta's advantage was that they played together at Spain NT and they were better for that style of possession.

If I had to choose a duo, it would be Modric and Kroos.

It's a good discussion.
I’m not sure I’d go that far. Having Busquets behind definitely helps…. though to be fair, they did a lot of defensive work, just that a lot of it was in the other half.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Sad not to be able to watch him for another season. But at least there's a very special set of career closing games ahead.

Not sure if set piece deliveries have been mentioned yet, probably one of the best ever at it.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He's won everything he could except the Euros for Germany. Hopefully he can check that off this summer :drool:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
What a dumb fecking post. What a fecking idiot. Change sport. To begin with 80% of Kroos means you're talking about one of the top 10-15 midfielders of all time.

And YES. OF FECKING COURSE HE'S WORTH IT. DID YOU MISS THE 4 CL - COULD BE 5 IN 2 WEEKS????

You should never be allowed to talk football again. Moron

!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

This...this is right. This is the correct opinion. Well, Gundogan and Kroos should be more like 1A 1B, but still, close enough
I get dizzy, I need a chair. I didn't expect it. A list of signings to put in my vein please
I don't know if these posts are sarcastic because of how overly emotional they are :lol:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
There is no signing that can replace Toni
There is no other like him but I don't think anyone was counting on his departure in their potential line-ups. Who is going to organise, Tchouameni? Marca already says they are going to delay Jude, and others name Nico Paz who has barely played.
I don't know if these posts are sarcastic because of how overly emotional they are :lol:
Not sarcastic. I think we all love Antonio very much, but there is always some parody :D

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I wish Kroos could be more similar to Xavi, to be honest.

I mean, saying that he is leaving but at end deciding not to.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Wonder if Madrid will try to go for Kimmich as a replacement if Bayern are still adamant to not play him in midfield.
Though Kimmich is getting old himself and doesn't fit the current Madrid signing profile.

Within the current Madrid squad, wouldn't Camavinga or Valverde be a more immediate replacement?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I wish Kroos could be more similar to Xavi, to be honest.

I mean, saying that he is leaving but at end deciding not to.
Same. We're gonna beat Dortmund 8-2 now, and it will be a sad day :(

Come on, show us that you really are the closest thing to Xavi, Antonio :)

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Wonder if Madrid will try to go for Kimmich as a replacement if Bayern are still adamant to not play him in midfield.
Though Kimmich is getting old himself and doesn't fit the current Madrid signing profile.

Within the current Madrid squad, wouldn't Camavinga or Valverde be a more immediate replacement?
I think with Uruguay Valverde has played in a similar position although it would mean losing a very interesting profile where he is at the moment.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Closest profile is Tchouameni. Excluding Modric
I thought Tchouameni is a more defensive midfielder than Kroos, a replacement for Casemiro.

I think with Uruguay Valverde has played in a similar position although it would mean losing a very interesting profile where he is at the moment.
Valverde seems to be turning into a jack of all trades master of none profile player, similar to Kovavic. He has skills in all aspects but can't say he's an exceptional passer like Kroos, or has the creativity of Modric. Still a great player though but interesting how he plays long term.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Retiring too early. Should go make bank somewhere else. Maybe America since he's hated in Saudi.

Is planning to coach? Not sure why else to retire early.
He doesn't care about making extra money for the sake of it. He has been open about not wanting to play until his late thirties very early on in his career, he actually told his now wife back in 2011 that he would retire once he would be World Champion - which she asked him if he would do now in 2014 just after he had signed the deal with Madrid :lol:.
The fact that he has carried on until now has been a sign how much he has enjoyed these later years with Real Madrid, I think originally he vaguely hinted at playing until 2021.

Madrids midfield depth looks incredible and while they sort of have already succesfully started to replace Modric (with Bellingham and Valverde), I'm pretty sure it'll be a bit tougher with Kroos. I guess Camavinga and Tchoumeni is the longerm plan @giorno @carvajal ?

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Awesome player. He's the only one of that last generation/10-15 years of german midfielders (Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Ozil, Goretzka, Kimmich) that i think would have held down a regular starting place in their stacked 70s-mid 90s midfield era.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid

No one will replace him 1:1. Kroos’ football IQ is just levels above. Valverde doesn’t offer the same and is used as a workhorse primarily at the right side of the pitch. Cama did play the LCM role but needs to grow. He is more of a runner, far away from providing the level of control and orchestration we get from Kroos. Even with all the younglings on the field, Kroos provides the ability to beat the press, switch plays and up or run down the tempo.

Carlo simply needs to figure out how we will proceed.

TheRedHearted

There is no other like him but I don't think anyone was counting on his departure in their potential line-ups. Who is going to organise, Tchouameni? Marca already says they are going to delay Jude, and others name Nico Paz who has barely played.

Not sarcastic. I think we all love Antonio very much, but there is always some parody :D
What do you mean by delay Jude?

mu4c_20le

And when Mbappe arrives to further disrupt the balance, I will be there to witness it. and it will be glorious

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
He doesn't care about making extra money for the sake of it. He has been open about not wanting to play until his late thirties very early on in his career, he actually told his now wife back in 2011 that he would retire once he would be World Champion - which she asked him if he would do now in 2014 just after he had signed the deal with Madrid :lol:.
The fact that he has carried on until now has been a sign how much he has enjoyed these later years with Real Madrid, I think originally he vaguely hinted at playing until 2021.

Madrids midfield depth looks incredible and while they sort of have already succesfully started to replace Modric (with Bellingham and Valverde), I'm pretty sure it'll be a bit tougher with Kroos. I guess Camavinga and Tchoumeni is the longerm plan @giorno @carvajal ?
I don't quite understand Tchouameni. I don't know exactly what his virtue is, what he is the best at.
He's not the best defensive midfielder and I don't think he has the ability to be an organiser either. However, he seems to have Ancelotti's confidence.
We should see him without Kroos, in a different scenario.
I don't want to be bitter because I think he's a lovely guy with a great attitude but I see Camavinga more and more as a 14th, 15th player in the squad. Far from being a starter and far from that Camavinga who dazzled the few minutes he had in the champions league comebacks.
Little magic in the vertical pass, predictable, poor shooting, untidy and increasingly installed in the image of a "lung that plays to the limit".
They will have to devise a way to play without Kroos but I would at least spend money on a midfielder (even if they try to readapt players like Guler).

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Sad day for football. Among all the great German midfielders since 2000, he stands out to me. I believe he deserves to be mentioned alongside the absolute best of his generation like Xavi, Iniesta, Modric and Pirlo.

From a German perspective, the saying "you never know what you've got till it's gone" applies to his career pretty well. Bayern underrated him completely so he found his luck in Madrid. He was scapegoated for the bad results of Germany and called "sideway-pass Toni" by German media, fans and pundits alike but after he retired from the national team, the performances detoriated even further. Until he finally returned under much applause. If he wins his sixth UCL with Madrid, making him the lone record holder, and manages to win an EC in Germany, he could even finish his outstanding career with a Ballon d'Or.
There are some others in the current squad who are on five and Gento has six:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/uefa-champions-league/erfolgreichstespieler/pokalwettbewerb/CL

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Why is the thought of one last big pay cheque funny or ironic?
Because he was quite vocally attacking players who move there and let's just say the reception he got when he played with Real there (I believe for the Spanish cup or league cup.. .something like that) wasn't friendly. They'd rather whip him to death then sign him to play.

And considering how much he seemed to enjoy that reaction in the stadium that feeling definitely is mutual.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Because he was quite vocally attacking players who move there and let's just say the reception he got when he played with Real there (I believe for the Spanish cup or league cup.. .something like that) wasn't friendly. They'd rather whip him to death then sign him to play.

And considering how much he seemed to enjoy that reaction in the stadium that feeling definitely is mutual.
Fair enough didn’t know that

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
This is sending me. He's literally the best midfielder in the world right now. And he's retiring
But this is exactly as he wants it. As soon as he no longer feels that he can go for 90 minutes and be competitive on a world class level, he will stop. He was always going to leave on top.

I understand the frustration for Real supporters but you have to admire him for doing it like this.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
But this is exactly as he wants it. As soon as he no longer feels that he can go for 90 minutes and be competitive on a world class level, he will stop. He was always going to leave on top.

I understand the frustration for Real supporters but you have to admire him for doing it like this.
He's THE BEST MIDFIELDER IN THE WORLD. He's still got at least another season in him. At least one.

I think the issue is he's got the chance to leave with a CL and then the Euros at home. Curse our CL dominance :( :( :(

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
He always said he was going to retire young, and yet made it to 34. Let the man be.