Tony Pulis Sacked as WBA manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It wasn't working out anymore. He'll still be able to get jobs I reckon.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Not a bad manager for stop-gap solution, when you want to keep a small team in the EPL. Not so good for the long run, though.

alsabi

A quarter of PL clubs have sacked their managers. And it's only November.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's done a really good job overall, even if he did have a more adventurous playing style there is only so much you can do with a club like WBA.. they don't really have the potential to be bigger than what they are.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Why didn’t they do it on the International break? Let’s be real here, they wasn’t going to beat Chelsea ffs.

I know the players and manager had a little refreshing break on the beach to recharge their batteries, but they wasn’t going to fly back and suddenly put on a Hollywood performance against Chelsea.

Precaution

Giving it to Megson again on a Temp basis isnt exactly a step up either :lol:

Coleman should of waited around a couple of days it seems.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Eugh Megson. They need to sort that pronto. Big Sam's the obvious choice but could they go for a leftfield, Marco Silva 2.0-type appointment?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Pulis joins some club, stabilises them, finish in good position and next season some thing happens and he gets sacked. Tony Pulis football cycle.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He's done a really good job overall, even if he did have a more adventurous playing style there is only so much you can do with a club like WBA.. they don't really have the potential to be bigger than what they are.
I heard a discussion about this very subject yesterday. WBA feel he hasn't done anything much for them as they were a mid-table club (11th, 10-11; 10th, 11-12; 8th, 12-13; 17th, 13-14; 14th, 15-16) before he got there and these relegation-threatened times are a newer thing he hasn't escaped from.

Looking at the tables for the last 7yrs, they seem to have a fair point to argue.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I heard a discussion about this very subject yesterday. WBA feel he hasn't done anything much for them as they were a mid-table club (11th, 10-11; 10th, 11-12; 8th, 12-13; 17th, 13-14; 14th, 15-16) before he got there and these relegation-threatened times are a newer thing he hasn't escaped from.

Looking at the tables for the last 7yrs, they seem to have a fair point to argue.
Aye but they could easily have gone backwards as well. He has kept them relatively stable and it is arguable that for a club like WBA, how can they realistically become say an Everton and a regular Europa League level club. Very difficult for clubs of that level to get to that level and maintain it.

Not against the sacking mind, whole point of football is to enjoy it or at least aspire and sell the fans the dream of reaching higher in league/win cups etc.. just saying objectively he's done a solid job.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Big Sam can go there and Pulis can help West Ham avoid relega... Ah no wait they already hired someone :p

Cloud7

Good riddance. It’s time for the generation of British dinosaur managers to be phased out (wishful thinking). As comedic as it sounds, there needs to be more British managers in the vein of Brendan Rogers, who aspire to actually play some football and believe in something besides being physical and hard to beat.

Revaulx

Not a bad manager for stop-gap solution, when you want to keep a small team in the EPL. Not so good for the long run, though.
Harsh, and much more applicable to Pardew. Pulis was ousted from Stoke because the club/fans felt entitled to pretty football, not because of poor results. He fell out with the board at Palace but left very much on a high.

Not sure what went wrong at West Brom. Maybe he shouldn't have got rid of Darren Fletcher?

I think WBA should strongly consider Giggs for this one, or the bloke from Östersund.

Basically anyone with a good football education and new ideas rather than sticking one of the old school plebs back on the merry-go-round.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He will be in demand - he is a good manager with bags of experience in the Premiership. The writing has been on the wall though in the past few months.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I'm glad, I cant stand his football, sadly he'll turn up at another PL outfit within a few months. Hope he takes the Wales job actually, spare us having to watch his teams every week.
As for West Brom, I wouldn't mind them getting relegated now. Delusions of grandeur.

Minkaro

I've seen some people seem surprised about this, which is odd.

Factually, Tony Pulis was taking West Brom down.

In 2017 West Brom have earned 29 points. That places them above six teams in that regard - Hull, Brighton, Huddersfield, Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Sunderland. The common thread there is that these teams have spent less time in the Premier League than West Brom this year, having been relegated or promoted.

In fact, Hull City have earned 21 points this year. That's eight less than West Brom (or three wins, effectively). West Brom have played 12 more games. Only Crystal Palace, Middlesbrough and Sunderland have a worse goal difference than West Brom over that period of time. They won 2 of their last 21 PL games.

On a more emotional, subjective, level, his teams play shit football. Watching West Brom has been actual torture at times lately. I don't think it's the players' fault, because they're not all bad.

Mcking

Swansea should sack Clement and bring him, but they have a very young squad which is not Pulis-like.

Hambley

Where are posts like "from whom Mourinho is gonna learn how to play football now?"?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Hardly surprising to see him go, they've been abysmal ever since they lost away to Brighton.

Bad time to be looking for a manager though - Everton is a far more attractive option for most managers better than Pulis, and I can't think of any available at that level right now.

Pulis to Everton, as a stop gap, wouldn't be the worst shout.

The Bloody-Nine

The idea that you could be sacked for doing a poor job, then walk into a job with a bigger club pisses me off.

saik

In before Giggs says he's interested in this job too.:wenger:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but West Ham should have waited. Pulis would have been a much better choice to get them out of the bottom 3 this season. It would have gone to shit by next season, but they'd be safe this season. Moyes is getting them relegated, no doubt.

Pulis seems to have the same managerial cycle as Pardew. He comes in, pulls them out of trouble, sometimes even plays some decent football (less so in Pulis' case, but both Palace and WBA under him had some cases of playing decent stuff now and then when things were going well in the initial boom), steers them into a good position in the table, and then it slowly starts to decline the following season, until it's beyond repair and then he's binned. Both even reached FA Cup finals and were beaten by Manchester clubs.

Pardew to West Brom?

AkaAkuma

Watched the first half against Chelsea and thought they looked an ok team, compact and hit on the break - there was more to them than newcastle.

There's a good foundation for the next manager, replace Barry with an attacking player, a more robust fullback in place of Gibbs and a successor to mcCauley and they are set. It would be ideal for giggs.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Bad decision from WBA. He's actually been a brilliant manager at his level.

League finishes of 12, 11, 13, 14, 13 with Stoke.
11th with Palace. 13, 14 and 10 with WBA.

A really solid record with teams who were shit before he joined them, especially the latter two.

Status
Not open for further replies.