8. Courtois
9. Allison Becker
10. Dida

For you?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Buffon at number 1 for me. Seaman should be nowhere near that list.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Seaman?:annoyed: you said 00s? He only won one league title too in that time. 90s for me but not 00s.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'd actually have van der Sar second behind Neuer.

I always loved Edwin, but, going back and watching classic matches, I feel like I actually underrated him. I used to say Schmeichel was the undisputed number one but, now, I have them pretty neck and neck.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
  1. Neuer
  2. Buffon
  3. Van Der Sar
  4. Kahn
  5. Allison
  6. Casillas
  7. Cech
  8. Oblak
  9. Courtois
  10. De Gea
Probably something like this. Order hard to do. Neuer is the only one I feel like deserves to be #1 for his all around game, peak, longevity, changing the position, success etc. Casillas and De Gea had insane peaks, but I put them both in the same boat of being not really modern or complete goalkeepers and having their limitations. Kahn was more 90's and early 2000's, but he was still around the best in the world in the early 2000's so gotta keep him in. I'd say there's a tier split with first 5 and bottom 5.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
1. Casillas
2. Buffon
3. Neuer
4. Cech
5. Van Der Sar
6. Kahn
7. Dida
8. Alisson
9. De Gea
10. Lehmann

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
1. Neuer
2. Buffon
3. Kahn
4. Alisson
5. VDS
6. Cech
7. Casillas
8. Oblak
9. De Gea
10. Courtois

Cech is a hard one to rate. Pre-injury he was up there in 2nd or 3rd, but that only lasted a couple of years and after that he'd be towards the bottom of that list. Unfortunately, I also think that Alisson is a bit underrated on here. The bottom few could really be in any order.

I feel like I barely ever watched Dida so no idea where to put him, and I feel like I've forgotten somebody obvious.

didz

Manuel Neuer
Gigi Buffon
Oliver Kahn
Petr Cech
Thibaut Courtois
David de Gea
Marc Ter Stegen
Scott Sterling
Allison Becker
Edwin van der Sar

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
  1. Buffon
  2. Neuer
  3. Kahn
  4. Alisson
  5. Oblak
  6. Cordoba
  7. Casillas
  8. Cech
  9. De Gea
  10. Van der Sar
Also considered Julio Cesar, Courtois and Toldo for that final spot. A couple affected by their body of work being split into the 90s and 00s.

Last edited:

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
Is Alisson that great for Liverpool(I follow them much less than others big clubs)? In Brazil, Dida and Júlio César are considered better. Some here are putting him above Casillas or Courtois...I would never expect that.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Victor Valdes and Julio Cesar should sneak the top 10 as had great periods, Valdes one of the best sweeper keepers around.

1. Buffon
  2. Casillas
  3. Van Der Sar
  4. Neuer
  5. Kahn
  6. Courtois
  7. De Gea
  8. Lloris
  9. Valdes
  10. Cesar

didz

Is Alisson that great for Liverpool(I follow them much less than others big clubs)? In Brazil, Dida and Júlio César are considered better. Some here are putting him above Casillas or Courtois...I would never expect that.
While it's possible that the English media fawning over him every week has influenced me putting him in there, his impact at Liverpool has been pretty undeniable.

Personally I've never been a massive fan of Dida or Casillas, but Julio Cesar is a really good shout I forgot all about.

JogaBonitoRooney

Casillas is a good shot stopper but everything else you need in a goalkeeper he doesn't have. Probably because of his smaller body frame and height. Not sure I'd have him in top 10.

Would rather have rather have Ederson, Cech or Emi Martinez over him. Funny how football works. He's considered among the goats because of the teams he's won with.

Alpha 1

Casillas is a good shot stopper but everything else you need in a goalkeeper he doesn't have. Probably because of his smaller body frame and height. Not sure I'd have him in top 10.

Would rather have rather have Ederson, Cech or Emi Martinez over him. Funny how football works. He's considered among the goats because of the teams he's won with.
Has any team been so damn lucky in the UCL (Liverpoolare second)? I'm ofcourse glad they knocked 115 charges FC out but generally I've seen them get outplayed so many times and yet win. It's ridiculous. For other team including Ferguson's great United sides, they'd have to be the best team in Europe to win.

Last edited:

Oranges038

1. Neuer
2. Buffon
3. Casillas
4. Van Der Sar
5. Kahn
6. Cech
7. Courtois
8. De Gea
9. Dida
10. Allison

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Victor Valdes and Julio Cesar should sneak the top 10 as had great periods, Valdes one of the best sweeper keepers around.

1. Buffon
  2. Casillas
  3. Van Der Sar
  4. Neuer
  5. Kahn
  6. Courtois
  7. De Gea
  8. Lloris
  9. Valdes
  10. Cesar
Good shout

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
1. Gigi Buffon
2. Manuel Neuer
3. Petr Cech
4. Iker Casillas
5. Thibaut Courtois
6. Edwin Van Der Sar
7. Allison Becker
8. Jan Oblak
9. David De Gea
10. Keylor Navas

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Neuer
Buffon

Cech
Kahn
Casillas
Van der Sar

Courtois/Becker/Navas/Cesar/Oblak/Lehmann/De Gea/Dida

I think there is a clear gap between the top two and the category after them

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
While Dida was obviously very successful in Europe, I don't think he fully translated his form from Brazil to Italy when he joined Milan. There was always a nagging feeling he had a mistake in him. I thought Julio Cesar was more consistent and was probably the best keeper in the world around 2009-11.

clean-sheet-culkin

Just to give this thread something different, here are five non-obvious picks only from the Prem, not including the obvious Cech and VDS.
  • Howard
  • Fabianski
  • Foster
  • Hart
  • Lloris
I've based them on a combination of saves, pen saves, punches, claims, clearances, tackles, assists, clean sheets and longevity since 2000. I should have probably included shot to save ratio, but I can't be bothered working that one out. If somebody wants to take a crack at it I'd be curious.

I have no idea why DDG is on any of your lists. He was an elite (probably one of the best of all times) shot stopper, but not great at much else a goalkeeper should be in my opinion. He played more PL minutes than any other keeper since 2000, but his numbers are nowhere near his peers.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Why is Alisson here? And surely if Alisson is here then Ederson should be?

didz

While Dida was obviously very successful in Europe, I don't think he fully translated his form from Brazil to Italy when he joined Milan. There was always a nagging feeling he had a mistake in him. I thought Julio Cesar was more consistent and was probably the best keeper in the world around 2009-11.
This is why I omitted him and am also a bit surprised to see him make so many lists. He's in the good-not-great category for me, although I know a lot of Brazilians would disagree on that. Julio Cesar was very very good - probably should have been in my list.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Neuer
Buffon
Cech
Van Der Sar

Those four are undebatable .

Courtois
Kahn
Allison
Oblak

This would be my next tier

The next two could be anyone from De gea, Casillas, Ter Stergen, Lloris, Martinez, Lehmann, Ederson

Mainoonited

I know DDG had a rough last couple of seasons for us, but how he's not in that list is a joke. He was an absolute freak for us for about 5-6 years and was arguably one of the worlds best.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Allison is much better than Ederson. He's been arguably the best keeper in the world for the past 5 years.
There’s been at least 10 better keepers than him since 2000 though. And if Alisson qualifies then Ederson does 100%.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
In no order:

Buffon, Neuer, Casillas, Van der Sar, Cech, de Gea, Courtois, Kahn, Victor Valdes, Keylor Navas, Julio Cesar, Dida

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
God I loved VDS for us, what a goalie. I love Big Pete but I might actually have them both neck and neck for my favourite ever. Tremendous goalies.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I always thought Casillas was massively overrated, surprised to see him so high up on some lists

Paula

Supports
Bayern
Tier One:
Neuer
Buffon

Tier Two:
Van Der Sar
Kahn
Cech
Casillas

Tier Three:
Courtois
Allison
Oblak
De Gea

I don't know why some people rate Casillas that high?
Yes he was in very successful teams and had a very high peak but was not even close to the top Tier. His reflexes were insane but overall there were way better GK.

Alpha 1

1.Nauer: Revolutionary sweeper keeper

2.Buffoon: A consistently great shot stopper with longevity.

The rest in no order.

Kahn
Van Der Sar
Casillas
Cech
Alisson
Courtois
Valdes
Oblak

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
1.Nauer: Revolutionary sweeper keeper

2.Buffoon: A consistently great shot stopper with longevity.

The rest in no order.

Kahn
Van Der Sar
Casillas
Cech
Alisson
Courtois
Valdes
Oblak
You spill a Rashford shot one time...

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Surprised to see Courtois make so many lists, especially over De Gea who beat him to the team of the season 4 years in a row. Courtois is a great keeper whose reputation has benefitted massively from playing for a very good Champion's League team, there's a reason he's barely ever made a domestic team of the season.

tomaldinho1

I still think everyone underrates VDS, he was not only incredible but also was the inspiration for guys like Neuer to become what they did. Probably the most influential GK of recent times when you at how everyone plays these days.

I feel like Kahn wasn't actually that amazing (when you compare him to the very best) but he was a nutter and very memorable.

Oo0AahCantona

Neuer
Buffon

Cech
Kahn
Casillas
Van der Sar

Courtois/Becker/Navas/Cesar/Oblak/Lehmann/De Gea/Dida

I think there is a clear gap between the top two and the category after them
was going to say this, i think objectively the only agreement/discussion needs to be that neuer and buffon are in an unarguable category of their own, and anything below them is just going to be personal opinion.

we've been blessed to have watched an era of football where we have seen the biggest pool of GK talent ever.