Top 10 Players of the Century

marktan

My list from around 2006 onwards, when I started properly watching football. In order:

Sergio Ramos
Messi
Ronaldo
Scholes
Iniesta
Bale
Neymar
Ngolo
De Bruyne
Mane or Suarez

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I'm surprised by Henry being omitted. I'd have to find room for him. Especially over Lewa.

luke511

Messi
C. Ronaldo
Ronaldinho
Iniesta
Modric
Zidane
Xavi
Henry
Suarez
Robben

Ladron de redcafe

I'm surprised by Henry being omitted. I'd have to find room for him. Especially over Lewa.
I am as well. I thought he was the best player in the world for a couple of years in the early to mid 2000s. At worst, he was 2nd best. Lewandowski is an incredible goalscorer but as an overall player, I'm not sure he was ever quite what Henry used to be.

paulscholes18

1 Messi
2 C. Ronaldo
3 Zidane
4 Ronaldinho
5 Kaka
6 Scholes
7 Xavi
8 Pirlo
9 Iniesta
10 Henry

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Barely a mention of Arjen Robben is surprising
Really? In his category alone we have Ronaldo, Henry, Ronaldinho, C. Ronaldo and Messi. The competition is fierce. We can't have more than half the list be attackers. Some credit must go to midfielders, defenders and goalkeepers too.

KeanoMagicHat

Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo
Xavi
Iniesta
Ronaldinho
Zidane
Ronaldo
Buffon
Modric

I think those are the top 8 then for the last two spots take your pick between
Lahm, Nesta, Henry, Suarez, Lewandowski, Neuer, De Bruyne, Robben, Pirlo

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Really? In his category alone we have Ronaldo, Henry, Ronaldinho, C. Ronaldo and Messi. The competition is fierce. We can't have more than half the list be attackers. Some credit must go to midfielders, defenders and goalkeepers too.
Not saying he'd walk into the top 10 but I'm seeing lengthy shortlists without him being mentioned. Robben was unfortunate to be around the same time as Ronaldo and Messi, otherwise he could have multiple Ballon D'ors and likely be seen as the best winger of his generation

KeanoMagicHat

Not saying he'd walk into the top 10 but I'm seeing lengthy shortlists without him being mentioned. Robben was unfortunate to be around the same time as Ronaldo and Messi, otherwise he could have multiple Ballon D'ors and likely be seen as the best winger of his generation
Robben didn’t play enough games to be Ballon d’Or worthy or have the stats for it, he was very injury prone. The only years he would have been close were 2013 and 2014, and if Messi and Ronaldo weren’t in it then Ribéry and Neuer would have won the two Ballon d’Ors.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Take out Ronaldo because this is focusing on 2000 and later. Suarez debatable. Henry is in.

Lewandowski, Benzema, Rooney are the 3 other shouts for me. Between those 3 and Suarez, for 2 spots. I'd probably give it Suarez and Benzema.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I go with

Messi
Cristiano
Iniesta
Xavi
Ronaldinho
Zidane
Robben
Neymar
Henry
Modric

Not necessarily in this order

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I go with

Messi
Cristiano
Iniesta
Xavi
Ronaldinho
Zidane
Robben
Neymar
Henry
Modric

Not necessarily in this order
Honorouble mentions:

Kaka
Ibrahimovic
Benzema
Lewandowski
Suarez
Mbappe
Hazard
Rooney
De Bruyne
Ribery

Welbeckham

Messi
C. Ronaldo
Xavi
Iniesta
Ramos
Modric
Neuer
Ronaldinho
Henry
Zidane

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo
Ronaldinho
Xavi
Modric
Iniesta
Zidane
Suarez
Robben
Henry

Theonas

Scout
Up there with the best but when measured against players who spearheaded their teams to the highest trophies and were influential in the biggest games, I think he falls a bit short. He is in the tier of the Agüeros and Zlatans for me. The likes of Suarez, Benzema and Lewa produced game changing performances at the top end of the CL which puts them a bit higher in my book.

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
Eto'o for me too, still can't believe Barcelona let him go for Ibrahimovic and paid £40m , when eto'o was just better. Should have been Ibra + £40m for eto'o. The man wins you Champions leagues.

Theonas

Scout
The debate is probably between Salah, Eto’o, Drogba and Yaya Toure.
Drogba had the big game presence with several match winning performances. Salah has the machine like consistency and as good as Eto'o was, he always seemed to be overshadowed by someone else. I remember him even being shunned to left back for Inter at some point. Probably unfair on him but maybe there was something missing there. I wouldn't really count Yaya in that debate. Deemed not good enough for Barcelona and shone in the weakest era for the PL in the past 15 years or so. Mané is probably worth a mention too.

Theonas

Scout
Should Zidane be in for just his performances from 2000-2006?
I'd say that was his best years no? By no means consistent but I just can't think of many players who could stand out in a field full of top players. His performances in the 2006 WC were as good as I've seen from a midfielder. That 1/4 vs Brazil was one of the best performances I've seen.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Drogba had the big game presence with several match winning performances. Salah has the machine like consistency and as good as Eto'o was, he always seemed to be overshadowed by someone else. I remember him even being shunned to left back for Inter at some point. Probably unfair on him but maybe there was something missing there. I wouldn't really count Yaya in that debate. Deemed not good enough for Barcelona and shone in the weakest era for the PL in the past 15 years or so. Mané is probably worth a mention too.
Eto'o won 4 UCL, just saying. One as a passenger, sure, but two as an integral cog of one of the greatest squads ever (plus scoring in both finals), and another one the next year as the leader of the squad that stopped them. Oh, and he is the only player with two consecutive trebles.

El Zoido

I'm surprised at how few mentions there are for Rooney. He's got to be in consideration for me.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Messi CR7
Xavi Iniesta Modric
Zidane Robben Ronaldinho Lahm Neuer

Tough leaving out the likes of Suarez, Henry, Mbappe, Benzema and Pirlo. Was considering swapping Zidane out but ultimately decided not to.

Theonas

Scout
Eto'o won 4 UCL, just saying. One as a passenger, sure, but two as an integral cog of one of the greatest squads ever (plus scoring in both finals), and another one the next year as the leader of the squad that stopped them. Oh, and he is the only player with two consecutive trebles.
Fair enough, might have been a bit harsh on him. What's his fourth CL? It's 06, 09 and 10 as far as I know.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Up there with the best but when measured against players who spearheaded their teams to the highest trophies and were influential in the biggest games, I think he falls a bit short. He is in the tier of the Agüeros and Zlatans for me. The likes of Suarez, Benzema and Lewa produced game changing performances at the top end of the CL which puts them a bit higher in my book.
Then he should be in his own tier just squeezed in between both. He's won more than Aguero and Zlatan, was more of a big game player than both too. Lewandowski is clear, Benzema has won way too much, Suarez you could make a case for. Rooney as a player though was an absolute baller and unlike any of these guys had no problems playing CM or CAM whatsoever. He could do everything.

Theonas

Scout
Then he should be in his own tier just squeezed in between both. He's won more than Aguero and Zlatan, was more of a big game player than both too. Lewandowski is clear, Benzema has won way too much, Suarez you could make a case for. Rooney as a player though was an absolute baller and unlike any of these guys had no problems playing CM or CAM whatsoever. He could do everything.
I think his trajectory is comparable to Benzema. Mainstays in super successful teams but often reduced to working for the main star in Cristiano or even Van Persie at some point. Benzema elevated himself to the top echelon in 2022 when he produced match winning performances or moments against PSG, Chelsea and City. Rooney came close in 2010 before that injury vs Bayern but never reached that main man level. It's not all on him though as our team post Ronaldo was not as good as the Real Benzema played for which makes you wonder just good Rooney could have been if he led the line for a CL contender level of team.

Todd

Top 10 list is going to be skewed towards attacking players. I think a best eleven is a better way to do it.

-----------------------------Buffon----------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------Ramos------Cannavaro---------------
Alves--------------------------------------------------Lahm
--------------------Pirlo-------Zidane-----------------------
Ronaldo-------------------------------------Ronaldinho
-------------------Messi---------------------------------------
-----------------------------------Lewendowski-----------

Subs:

Neuer
Tiago Silva
John Terry
Roberto Carlos
Kaka
Iniesta
Gerrard
Henry
Rooney

Theonas

Scout
Top 10 list is going to be skewed towards attacking players. I think a best eleven is a better way to do it.

-----------------------------Buffon----------------------------
------------------Ramos------Cannavaro---------------
Alves--------------------------------------------------Lahm
--------------------Pirlo-------Zidane-----------------------
Ronaldo-------------------------------------Ronaldinho
-------------------Messi---------------------------------------
-----------------------------------Lewendowski-----------

Subs:

Neuer
Tiago Silva
John Terry
Roberto Carlos
Kaka
Iniesta
Gerrard
Henry
Rooney
I am really surprised so many pick Buffon over Neuer in goal. He was a top GK and has the longevity sure but Neuer was a monster. Who would you sign at their peak?

Malkovich

Messi, C.Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Xavi, Iniesta, Modric, L.Ronaldo, Henry, Neuer

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Messi
Ronaldo
Robben
Some
Barca
Tiki
Taka
Twats
Modric
VVD eat my shorts

TheLord

In descending order
  1. Messi
  2. C Ronaldo
  3. R9
  4. Zidane
  5. Henry
  6. Ronaldinho
  7. Xavi
  8. Iniesta
  9. Paolo Maldini
  10. Neuer

Some players in the list played better in the previous century.