Top 4 race / race abandoned (or maybe not) / Leicester & Chelsea in the process of bottling it

Godfather

It's going to be really really tough for us. Our own making though. If we don't make it Ole has to go. No excuses

laughtersassassin

Good chance we are only a point or two ahead of fourth by Monday.

Ideally need Chelsea and Everton to draw

Some feck up by Ole and the lads to have brought us back to this position.

We really need the result tomorrow.

cyberman

Good chance we are only a Point ahead of fourth tomorrow.

Some feck up by Ole and the lads to have brought us back to this position.

We really need the result tomorrow.
But top 4 qualifies? Plus Man City still has to play Chelsea and Leicester so good chance it evens out to where we are anyway

Irwin99

Big win for Leicester considering their injuries and their tough final fixtures, I felt they had to win that. It's gonna be tight :nervous:

laughtersassassin

But top 4 qualifies? Plus Man City still has to play Chelsea and Leicester so good chance it evens out to where we are anyway
Your point? We managed to drop enough points in the last 8 or so games easily possible now we might not get top 4 unless we see a real up turn in form.

I was just highlighting how bad a run we are in to have been top on Jan 12th and now we'll in truly on a top 4 battle with about 6 different teams as things stand.

Only 3 places left so our performances will really need an up turn. Everton have two games in hand as well.

Finishing 4th would be poor at the end of the day too.

cyberman

Your point? We managed to drop enough points in the last 8 or so games easily possible now we might not get top 4 unless we see a real up turn in form.

I was just highlighting how bad a run we are in to have been top on Jan 12th and now we'll in truly on a top 4 battle with about 6 different teams as things stand.

Only 3 places left so our performances will really need an up turn. Everton have two games in hand as well.

Everybody else around us is dropping as much points. All of the teams around us wont suddenly win all their games now to the point 3 teams overtakes us because Utd fans feels a bit nervous
So im just pointing out that a probable loss to City tomorrow happens to 3 teams around us before the seasons over. Hell Leicester has one of the hardest run in i have ever seen, Evertons run in is really nasty as well.
Add in the points buffer and our run, itll be some sort of reverse miracle that sees us miss out.

It keeps getting tighter at the top (below City).

If we lose tomorrow, Chelsea beat Everton and everybody then wins their games in hand, it could be this after 28 games :lol::

2. Leicester 53 PTS
3. Man Utd. 51 PTS
4. West Ham 51 PTS
5. Chelsea 50 PTS
6. Everton. 49 PTS
7. Tottenham 48 PTS

(so we better beat West Ham!)
feck me that’s depressing, quick send a disciple in to cheer me up about how we’re actually having an amazing season cause we were 2nd for a spell.
Please fecking win tomorrow, the idea of going toe to toe with David fexking Moyes after 27-28 games makes me want to throw up a little.

Last edited:

Wilt

Everybody else around us is dropping as much points. All of the teams around us wont suddenly win all their games now to the point 3 teams overtakes us because Utd fans feels a bit nervous
So im just pointing out that a probable loss to City tomorrow happens to 3 teams around us before the seasons over. Hell Leicester has one of the hardest run in i have ever seen, Evertons run in is really nasty as well.
Add in the points buffer and our run, itll be some sort of reverse miracle that sees us miss out.
Utd‘s run in is probably the toughest

OrcaFat

I think the so called poor run is exaggerated. The last 11 prem games starting with Liv away =

W4 D6 L1

Not great but three of the draws were Liv away, Arsenal away, Chelsea away, another was v Everton who people are putting up as a top 4 rival. So there’s only three really disappointing results in that run. In between we scored 9 in one game and hammered Sociedad.

We’ve been off the boil here and there but it’s hardly calamitous.

Meanwhile, although we’ve not scored lately, the clean sheets are racking up. It’s not all bad.

If we lose tomorrow, it will be a blow but not a shock we can’t recover from. We’re easily as likely to finish 2nd as any position below that.

cyberman

After tomorrow its not imo. A lot of Burnley, Brighton, Leeds, Fulham, Liverpool type games. Only really Spurs away looks like it could be a real test.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I reckon we'll finish 5th if we lose tomorrow as expected. Spurs are right back in this, them and Liverpool have the easiest run ins. Chelsea will be comfortable.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
This has probably been covered, so apologies if so: is it still the case that if a team finishing 5th (potentially Liverpool or Chelsea in this scenario) won the CL then the 4th placed premiership team wouldn’t qualify?

Andy_Cole

This has probably been covered, so apologies if so: is it still the case that if a team finishing 5th (potentially Liverpool or Chelsea in this scenario) won the CL then the 4th placed premiership team wouldn’t qualify?
No.
But if this scenario happens AND say Arsenal win Europa then 4th loses their spot.

OrcaFat

City, Pool, Leicester, Spurs, West Ham ....all a bit dodgy?
If we don’t play well we can lose (or more likely draw) any game. Nobody expects to beat city at the moment but we should get some decent results against the other four in that list. Our other six games look very winnable. But only if we play reasonably well, of course.

The Neville wears Prada

We are in far worse form than Leicester and Chelsea for sure (I think possible Everton, West Ham and even Spurs are looking better than us)... We have messed up completely and we should be clear in second place by 5+ points. I cannot believe how much we have messed up! I think it will be a miracle if we stay in to be honest.

Infra-red

After tomorrow its not imo. A lot of Burnley, Brighton, Leeds, Fulham, Liverpool type games. Only really Spurs away looks like it could be a real test.
We've won 2 of our last 8 league games.

Every match is a "real test" for us at the moment.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
“A miracle if we stay in top 4”. Get a fecking grip. A lot of drama queens on here overrating all other teams. They’re behind us for a reason. Those teams have dropped points to shit teams all season and will continue to do so.

We’ll pick up form soon enough. Tomorrow is a free hit but after that we’ve got 10 winnable games. In the reverse fixtures we managed 7-2-1 (23 points) against that lot. Even if we assume a pessimistic 5-2-3 (17 points) this time that would require title winning form from the likes of Pool/Spurs to knock us out of top 4. That’s not going to happen.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
The next five will tell us a lot:

Man City
West Ham
Brighton
Tottenham
Burnley

Best case scenario (imo): DWWDW
Worst case: LDWLW

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
“A miracle if we stay in top 4”. Get a fecking grip. A lot of drama queens on here overrating all other teams. They’re behind us for a reason. Those teams have dropped points to shit teams all season and will continue to do so.

We’ll pick up form soon enough. Tomorrow is a free hit but after that we’ve got 10 winnable games. In the reverse fixtures we managed 7-2-1 (23 points) against that lot. Even if we assume a pessimistic 5-2-3 (17 points) this time that would require title winning form from the likes of Pool/Spurs to knock us out of top 4. That’s not going to happen.
Such logic is beyond them, Samid.

Robindinho

The next five will tell us a lot:

Man City
West Ham
Brighton
Tottenham
Burnley

Best case scenario (imo): DWWDW
Worst case: LDWLW
5 losses wouldn’t be worst case?

Can’t believe we’re in another top 4 scrap, from being top in January. Think it’ll go down to the last couple of games like last year. (Unless of course, we win tomorrow).

Red & White

Big win for Leicester. I think most were expecting them to drop straight out of the top 4 in the next couple of weeks, so that‘s a big result for them. They should just about hang onto a CL place now, you’d think.

Like most of us, I’m expecting a loss today, but I still think we should just about seal top 4. That’s the best we can hope for in the league now. There will be no disguising the disappointment, though, if we just make the top 4 this season after the expectations in January. We don’t want to underestimate what a strong finish to a season can do going into a new one. We’ve been here before.

Judas

Open to offers
To be fair, we can look at winnable games we have left, plenty on paper, but we've been even massively struggling in those since the turn of the year. We need a confidence turning big performance to stop the rot.

Thiagoal

I think it’s crucial how Ole managed the squad now! The Europa league is looking like one big distraction! Need to take a gamble by resting the likes of Bruno and Rashford or things could turn nasty

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We will be out of the top 4 by the time we play Spurs. Spurs could well be leapfrogging us when we play them.
Fancy a cafe bet? Happy to put some money we will be in the top 4 by the time we play spurs.

Godfather

Ridiculous to call it a miracle I agree. It's an absolute must. A minimum achievement. If we fail to do that after topping the league half way through a lot of heads must roll.

Although our recent form suggests there is every chance we actually might bottle it.

Jaxa

Cannot fecking believe we’ve being dragged in to the top 4 battle when we had at least top 2 in our hands,

The Sheffield result, the Everton result and WB result are sickening, it’s like when we sat pretty at the top of the group in the UCL and all we had to do was beat Istanbul I think to qualify and somehow managed to f*ck that up and then ended up going out of the group, I jus have this horrible feeling after sitting at the top of the PL and all the hype it caused we will find a way to not even finish top 4

it’s classic Manchester United, this is what we’ve become

OrcaFat

Cannot fecking believe we’ve being dragged in to the top 4 battle when we had at least top 2 in our hands,

The Sheffield result, the Everton result and WB result are sickening, it’s like when we sat pretty at the top of the group in the UCL and all we had to do was beat Istanbul I think to qualify and somehow managed to f*ck that up and then ended up going out of the group, I jus have this horrible feeling after sitting at the top of the PL and all the hype it causes we will find a way to not even finish top 4

it’s classic Manchester United, this is what we’ve become
Don’t know how you manage to get out of bed in the morning.

MU655

I think people are being very dismissive of Everton's and West Ham's chances of top four. We are not in a good position at all if we lose today.

Chelsea are on very good form under Tuchel and will likely be within 1 point. West Ham will be within 3 points with a game in hand.

We have been overtaken by an injury ravaged Leicester, which is shameful.

We are lucky that Everton and Chelsea are playing this weekend or it could have ended a whole lot worse.

Tthen you still have to consider Tottenham and, even, Liverpool if they can finally get their act together. Neither have been great, but the points gap between us is still quite small.

Cloud7

To be fair, those are exactly the sort of games that we’ve been dropping points in and how we’ve ended up in this position, so it’s tough to say that those matches aren’t going to be a challenge in the slump that we’re in. If we pick up some form it’ll be a different prospect of course, but right now our run in looks tough simply because every match looks like a challenge for us.

Cloud7

If a Moyes led West Ham gets top 4 over us I might just cry. That’s probably the outcome here I would least want.

Judas

Open to offers
I'm oddly relaxed, if we fail to make top 4 which would be unforgivable, changes will have to be made, so be it. We should be finishing 2nd, my opinion hasn't changed on that. I'll be bitterly disappointment if we end up not improving on last season, we've been in the position where it looked harder to not better last year, and now it's all looking a bit ropey.

tomaldinho1

United, Chels, Leicester have awful run ins. Liverpool and Spurs have great ones. It’s going to be squeaky bum time for all of April and May.

tomaldinho1

If a Moyes led West Ham gets top 4 over us I might just cry. That’s probably the outcome here I would least want.
City win the League + CL (disgusting)
Chelsea get 2nd (proof of importance of established coach)
Liverpool creep back into top 4 (revolting)
West Ham take 4th under our former manager. (This would be awful)
Spurs win the EL and so get CL football.

This would be enough to make me cancel all tv subscriptions and find a new sport like birdwatching.

UmbroDays

I think it’s crucial how Ole managed the squad now! The Europa league is looking like one big distraction! Need to take a gamble by resting the likes of Bruno and Rashford or things could turn nasty
It cant be a distraction is the outcome of both = Champions League.

I still think EL is the better look. We need a title and Champions League. Only one can give us both.