Top 4 race / race abandoned (or maybe not) / Leicester & Chelsea in the process of bottling it

cyberman

Chelsea to sneak in front of United and Leicester imo.
Doubt it, your last 4 to 5 games is nasty and i dont think you have the firepower to get through it.
Imo youre 7 behind us as it stands because City will beat you.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
From what I've seen your defence has improved immeasurably but I wonder if the goals will dry up. Your next four fixtures are fairly decent though.
Just poking at Cyberman a bit. But we do have great momentum and I have nothing but confidence going into the final part of the season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Doubt it, your last 4 to 5 games is nasty and i dont think you have the firepower to get through it.
If you can beat City, we can beat City.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
If City have the league sewn up and are into the latter stages of the CL, I don't think it's a guarantee they'll go all out against us. The same applies to Arsenal in the EL, and Villa have come back down to earth a bit. Frankly, the Leicester match looks the most tricky to navigate potentially.

cyberman

If you can beat City, we can beat City.
Our attacks are different beasts. Ole style cuts right through City. He has a unique record v Pep for a reason.
I hope you beat them because that means we are 1 more slip up away from a title race but I dont think Chelsea get in Citys head the way our players do.

cyberman

If City have the league sewn up and are into the latter stages of the CL, I don't think it's a guarantee they'll go all out against us. The same applies to Arsenal in the EL, and Villa have come back down to earth a bit. Frankly, the Leicester match looks the most tricky to navigate potentially.
Pressure free City are a nightmare to play against though. Plus Pep never stops, they got to 100 points for feck sake!

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Our attacks are different beasts. Ole style cuts right through City. He has a unique record v Pep for a reason.
I hope you beat them because that means we are 1 more slip up away from a title race but I dont think Chelsea get in Citys head the way our players do.
It's certainly not a guaranteed loss though. Also the lay of the land could be different then. If we keep winning our games until then, I'm pretty confident of finishing second even if we lose that game.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Chelsea have a chance of getting to the CL semis with the right draw. Avoid City and Bayern and you have a good chance of it. Assuming of course you finish off A. Madrid.

You may have to rotate late on in the league as well.

RedIan

the race for top four is getting very tight... Moysies West Ham - should they win their game in hand would be just 3 points behind us.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

the race for top four is getting very tight... Moysies West Ham should they win their game in hand would be just 3 points of us.
Moyes is MOTY currently for me. I thought they'd have started dropping away by now but there's a growing sense of dread at the, unlikely but possible, idea of Moyes getting top four, Tuchel continuing his momentum, Jose creeping back in and then us going far in the EL and getting a few draws which drop us out of the top four.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Spurs are well in the race with the easiest run in.
We had this yesterday....how on earth is Man. United at home (only team yet to lose away) and Arsenal, Villa, Everton and leicester away the easiest run in? :annoyed: Particularly as Spurs have to make up 5 points on Chelsea and 8 on Leicester as things stand.

Some of those games going to be inbetween their europa matches aswell so will have to be some rotation.

Chelsea got likes of West Brom, Brighton and Fulham at home still to play so with the form they're in they'll get another 20 points no problem imo so Spurs got to win 9 out of their last 11 games to have any sort of chance of top 4.

That's a big ask when Mourinho will just play for draws in some of those games above as that's his default setting.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Pressure free City are a nightmare to play against though. Plus Pep never stops, they got to 100 points for feck sake!
I think that's all fair! I just wouldn't necessarily guarantee they'll be playing their first XI as they'll likely have the league won at that point and will likely be into the latter stages of the CL.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Moyes is MOTY currently for me. I thought they'd have started dropping away by now but there's a growing sense of dread at the, unlikely but possible, idea of Moyes getting top four, Tuchel continuing his momentum, Jose creeping back in and then us going far in the EL and getting a few draws which drop us out of the top four.
This is closest Moyes has got since he left them of the Everton sides he used to create every season, very well drilled and also very efficent in finishing off chances from set pieces and general play.

Does have 04/05 vibes in every week you expect them to fall away but it didn't happen. I still don't think they'll make top 4 but very good chance of making europa.

Dante

Average bang
United, City and Chelsea are nailed on for top 3 imo.

Fourth place is probably going to be Leicester. Spurs or maybe Everton could possibly pip them. But I very much doubt it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Can see United/Chelsea begin to pull away and Leicester drop a bit, making it a fight for 4th but top 3 being relatively secure.

Statue of Limitations

Really happy to see the likes of West Ham and Everton pushing the perennial contenders with just 10 games to go.

City and ourselves are definitely Top 4, I would fancy Chelsea for 3rd and honestly anyone's guess for 4th. Hope it's the same next year.

Suedesi

Is United in the top 4 race, or are we a certainty to get it? 10 games to go, need to drop 6+ points to West Ham (game in hand) or 4+ points to Chelsea. I give us 5/6 chances to make it.

Galeano

Supports
Chelsea
Anything can happen, there are many games to be played, there are many teams with possibilities.
In a couple of weeks, everything can be reversed.
Let's see who best overcomes the pressure.

Caesar2290

This is closest Moyes has got since he left them of the Everton sides he used to create every season, very well drilled and also very efficent in finishing off chances from set pieces and general play.

Does have 04/05 vibes in every week you expect them to fall away but it didn't happen. I still don't think they'll make top 4 but very good chance of making europa.
I think David Moyes should be the poster child of why ability alone isn't enough to make it at Manchester United. Contrary to what many on here are saying he is a solid coach that should have finished at least Top4 with us on ability alone. But the pressure, expectation and culture got to him and we got what we got. Personally I think Everton/West Ham/Southampton are more his level, mid expectation teams that he'll get them finishing top 6-8 where the is mid pressure and lots of attacking space.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I don’t know why opposition fans are so desperate to paint United as being in the top four race. Second is assured for us now. We will be joined by Leicester and Spurs.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I don’t know why opposition fans are so desperate to paint United as being in the top four race. Second is assured for us now. We will be joined by Leicester and Spurs.
I mean if we lose against West Ham we are 100% in the race. If we win we’re probably safe.

Pagh Wraith

Like very season people speak with such authority about things that will definitely happen when it's a matter of probability .

Look at the betting markets and save your breath.

United 86%
Chelsea 75%
Leicester 57%
Spurs 24%
Liverpool 18%

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's not assured, it's just 4 points between us and 4th placed Chelsea. If West Ham win their game in hand then it will be 3 points between 2nd and 4th, 4 points between 2nd and 5th.

Our form is not very good too.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This time last year when we were in say Spurs' current position no one gave us a prayer of getting into the top 4. This season we've got a 4 point gap to the team in 4th and yet we're still not going to make it

Never change CAF

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This time last year when we were in say Spurs' current position no one gave us a prayer of getting into the top 4. This season we've got a 4 point gap to the team in 4th and yet we're still not going to make it

Never change CAF
In fairness the only people in here who think you aren't going to make it are other United fans.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I remember when Man United fans used to gloat about winning the league and being the best. Now some of you have turned into Arsenal fans, all giddy about the prospect of finishing above 5th.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
To an extent, everyone is looking more closely than usual, at others results. Everyone in the race is capable of dropping points. Unfortunately, our injury problems, together with lack of squad depth looks like putting us in pole position to drop out.

Judas

Open to offers
I remember when Man United fans used to gloat about winning the league and being the best. Now some of you have turned into Arsenal fans, all giddy about the prospect of finishing above 5th.
Tragic isn't it. I want us and expect us to finish 2nd, it's where we should be based on this season. Anything less than that in the league is a failure and step backwards.

philipos

Pot .... kettle .... black !

cyberman

It's not assured, it's just 4 points between us and 4th placed Chelsea. If West Ham win their game in hand then it will be 3 points between 2nd and 4th, 4 points between 2nd and 5th.

Our form is not very good too.
West Ham needs to win that game though and even then we play them next anyway.
A lot of fans were freaking out about how close top 4 would be if we lost to City and that was wasted energy. As we stand we are comfortable top 4 and thats all we can really judge this on

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
West Ham needs to win that game though and even then we play them next anyway.
A lot of fans were freaking out about how close top 4 would be if we lost to City and that was wasted energy. As we stand we are comfortable top 4 and thats all we can really judge this on
Yeah, no one is saying we don't deserve to be in this position. It's just that top 4 is not as comfortable as some think it is. Our league form was terrible before City game.