Top 5 EPL finishers

Mainoldo

As it says on the tin. Who are the top 5 best finishers to play in the league. Inverted wingers included I.e. CR7’s of this world too but it has to be over their premier league career.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Kane / Shearer / Henry / Aguero / RVP.

Forgot about Ruud, he'd be in contention too.

Last edited:

diarm

In no particular order:

Henry
Aguero
Kane
Ruud
Shearer

RooneyLegend

Cantona and Le Tissier were not among the best finishers in the league when they played. Never mind of all time.

Jimmy is an irrelevance.
They were, when they got chances it was curtains for the opposition. Jimmy Floyd was lethal from basically everywhere with the goal on sight.

manutddjw

In no order:

Fowler
Shearer
Ruud
Ole
Henry

Ole has to be on the list. I can’t remember him fluffing his line unlike Kane whose done it plenty and a bunch of times against us thankfully.

James Peril

Robbie Fowler was the best natural finisher in the EPL.
If he was, probably should have had more goals? Two good seasons almost 30 years ago when the league was something else entirely, the rest not very impressing. Injuries messed him over as usual as it often does. He also never played for a top team, I’ll give him that.

No Love

No particular order:
Shearer
van Nistelrooy
Fowler
Henry
Aguero

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
No order:

Ruud
Solskjaer
Aguero
Shearer
Fowler

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Out and out clinical finishing. I would go for Shearer and RVN. Henry, Drogba and Aguero were also lethal.

You knew they were gonna break the net with some of their positioning/runs in the box.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
By who? Trust me, that man was far from clinical. He was probably the best no9 in the league outside of his finishing.
Isn't that an urban legend because of what Hoddle said years ago (he needs 5 chances to score)?

I seem to remember a load of football sites coming out with stats that showed how good his conversion ration was?

Can you link the ones that show his ratio was poor?

Mainoldo

By who? Trust me, that man was far from clinical. He was probably the best no9 in the league outside of his finishing.
Very bad myth. Can’t believe a United fan actually believes that. If he had anymore goals he’d be up there with CR7 and them.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Ever?
  1. van Nistelrooy
  2. Agüero
  3. Shearer
  4. Henry
  5. Fowler
Slightly worse players overall but so clinical in front of the goal: Solskjaer & Chicharito. I also loved van Persie's peak but he was too inconsistent over the course of his career to be considered. Torres at his best as well can be mentioned. Maybe Bergkamp — he wasn't getting as many chances as your regular number 9, but his finishing was always so cool.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Honorable mention to Frank Lampard. Good striker of the ball and nerve-free when a chance presented itself.

A different kind of finisher but was as good from long range as he was ghosting into the box and finishing first time.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Honorable mention to Frank Lampard. Good striker of the ball and nerve-free when a chance presented itself.

A different kind of finisher but was as good from long range as he was ghosting into the box and finishing first time.
Very good shout.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Shearer
Fowler
Henry
Solskjær
Persie

then

Aguero
Eduardo
Lampard
Crespo
Kane

Supports
England
Statistically, Kane, Shearer and Aguero stand out a way ahead of everyone else. Kane just finished his 200th PL app so comparing on the basis of goals/first 200 PL games seems apt. They all got ~135 goals. The difference between Kane and Aguero is literally a single goal.

Kane and Shearer play(ed) for notably inferior teams to Aguero though. And there's quite a few substitute appearances in there for Kane too. On a per-minute basis, Kane has a better ratio than Aguero over the same period. I can't remember off the top of my head how that affects Shearer.

Overall, Kane and Aguero have the best GPG and GPM ratios in PL history, having switched between first and second place several times over the years. After those two, there's a bit of a gap.

I can't believe how many people don't have Kane in their top 5s. He's objectively one of the best by every metric available. And if you go watch a "best goals" compilation on YouTube, I suspect many would be surprised by how good the goals are considering his minor reputation as a tap-in/penalty merchant. (Total myths, by the way. Some prolific strikers are more dependent on penalties -- not that there's anything wrong with penalties: the idea that they "hardly count" as goals is just silly when you see much easier chances than pens being scored every weekend. And he has some of the highest tallies of goals from outside the box.)

Here's a decent compilation from Spurs' own YT channel for your consideration/viewing pleasure:

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

Mainoldo

Statistically, Kane, Shearer and Aguero stand out a way ahead of everyone else. Kane just finished his 200th PL app so comparing on the basis of goals/first 200 PL games seems apt. They all got ~135 goals. The difference between Kane and Aguero is literally a single goal.

Kane and Shearer play(ed) for notably inferior teams to Aguero though. And there's quite a few substitute appearances in there for Kane too. On a per-minute basis, Kane has a better ratio than Aguero over the same period. I can't remember off the top of my head how that affects Shearer.

Overall, Kane and Aguero have the best GPG and GPM ratios in PL history, having switched between first and second place several times over the years. After those two, there's a bit of a gap.

I can't believe how many people don't have Kane in their top 5s. He's objectively one of the best by every metric available. And if you go watch a "best goals" compilation on YouTube, I suspect many would be surprised by how good the goals are considering his minor reputation as a tap-in/penalty merchant. (Total myths, by the way. Some prolific strikers are more dependent on penalties -- not that there's anything wrong with penalties: the idea that they "hardly count" as goals is just silly when you see much easier chances than pens being scored every weekend. And he has some of the highest tallies of goals from outside the box.)
Totally forgot about Kane but agree with you. He has that RVN style which means you tend not to appreciate him unless he’s your striker. But definitely Top 5 ever.