Top 5 signings after SAF?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
If people are saying AWB is the best signing in 6 years then feck me we’ve been poor transfer-wise. Don’t get me wrong I like the kid, but he’s had a handful of steady but unspectacular games at fullback.
Not much to show for however many hundreds millions spent

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
If people are saying AWB is the best signing in 6 years then feck me we’ve been poor transfer-wise. Don’t get me wrong I like the kid, but he’s had a handful of steady but unspectacular games at fullback.
Not much to show for however many hundreds millions spent
Well we have been haven't we? Wasted money on the likes of Depay, Fred, Schneiderlin, Matic, Darmian, Sanchez, Di Maria, Rojo, Schweinsteiger, Falcao, Fellaini, Bailly, Mkhitaryan, Lukaku only to try and sell all these guys a season or two later for half the price, we're even still struggling to sell some.

I think I'm missing some as well. Recruitment-wise it's quite damning to see guys like Kante, Sadio Mane, De Bruyne, Alderweireld, Fabinho, Van Dijk, Bernardo Silva go to opposition without any contesting.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Well we have been haven't we? Wasted money on the likes of Depay, Fred, Schneiderlin, Matic, Darmian, Sanchez, Di Maria, Rojo, Schweinsteiger, Falcao, Fellaini, Bailly, Mkhitaryan, Lukaku only to try and sell all these guys a season or two later for half the price, we're even still struggling to sell some.

I think I'm missing some as well. Recruitment-wise it's quite damning to see guys like Kante, Sadio Mane, De Bruyne, Alderweireld, Fabinho, Van Dijk, Bernardo Silva go to opposition without any contesting.
It really is mind boggling...considering we’re a club that’s all about money, feck the titles as long as we make money etc etc how we have such an appalling transfer record without the great wise men at the top starting to give it some due consideration
I know I’m not breaking new ground here, just sometimes you look at it and your jaw drops all over again

el3mel

I'll put Fellaini out of this. He did very well here even if people don't like his style, but he was the most useful out of these lot and helped us on multiple occasions till he left.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Mata has been a flop. Never was the Chelsea version and outside a few moments of class, he’s just not a typical United player.

Halal Jalal

Expanding on the James thread who are your top 5 signings in the post SAF's era?

Mine:

1. Pogba
2. Martial
3. Romero
4. Blind
5. AWB

What's yours?
The recruitment has been so bad there aren't many players who you can quote. All have all had weaknesses to a certain degree. I am struggling to name even 5 players. However, in terms of talent or value for money, my picks are as follows:

Pogba
Ibra
Martial
Romero
Blind
These two are the most accurate in my opinion. Ibra has to be there, he was free transfer and one of the best strikers in PL before his unfortunate injury.

I'm surprised to see Maguire appearing in some of the lists. A good CB improving our defence no doubt, but for a record fee? Is he even in Top 20 CBs in the world? I don't think so. Still glad we got him though.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
1. Zlatan
2. Romero

Herrera and Blind might just slip in but they were hardly world beaters. Not including Martial or Pogba because they've been largely disappointing even if they are our most talented players and the jury is still out on the summer signings. Feck me that's some sad reading.

Devil81

Can't believe people are putting Pogba in their lists, he cost a world record fee and he's not lived up to it in anyway.

Memento28

Zlatan
Martial
Pogba
Shaw
Matic

I am not including players which we signed this season because I am still not sure how good they can be.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
  1. Pogba — he had not performed as well as he should've been, but he had still been our best and most productive outfield player since his signing. In his 100 PL appearances he has 24 goals and 25 assists, it's fantastic numbers for a central midfielder
  2. Herrera — probably our most consistent performer over the given period (De Gea excluded), although he was never world-class. Such a shame that he left
  3. Ibra — only one season that ended prematurely, but he was majestic; such a presence on and off the field, even if we don't talk about his goals & assists
  4. Martial — never had a prolonged period of great form, sadly, but the promise is here. I also think that he scored more than anyone else since his signing?

Dyatlov's tier (not great, not terrible):
Blind was okay-ish, maybe if not for Mourinho, I would've included him.
Romero was good but not really influential.
Mata performed well at times, but the difference between expectation and reality was too big.
Shaw... I probably won't count him as a flop just yet, although he's on the right way.
Lukaku was good in his first season, but the last one and his behaviour at the end was really disappointing, it's incredible that we've managed to recoup most of the money; certainly closer to a flop.
Matic — very good in his first season, but the longer he stays here, the further down the list he goes.

:nervous: tier:
Rojo, Fellaini*, Depay, Darmian, Scweiny, Schneiderlin, Bailly, Sanchez, Falcao, Di Maria**, Fred (so far), Micky

* some will argue, but for me his place here is unquestionable.
** the only one who would've still made it if he wanted to stay.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
1. Herrera
2. Zlatan
3. Romero
4. Martial
5. erm...Blind?

They are the only remotely decent signings. Everyone else has either been considerably underwhelming or utter shite. That's a little harsh on Matic as he did a job for a while but for a while has been shite.

Worst signings:

1. Sanchez
2. Falcao
3. Di Maria
4. Schneiderlin
5. Pogba

Mcking

In terms of quality and performances with the team:
1. Pogba
2. Martial
3. Zlatan
4. Herrera
5. Mata
Relative to price and expectations when they were signed:
1. Zlatan
2. Romero
3. Martial
4. Herrera
5. Fellaini
Ranking all our signings in terms of performances with the team and how useful they've been to the club, ignoring price tag and expectations.
1. Martial
2. Pogba
3. Zlatan
4. Mata
5. Fellaini
6. Herrera
7. Blind
8. Lukaku
9. Shaw
10. Matic
11. Lindelof
12. Mkhitaryan
13. Di Maria
14. Rojo
15. Fred
16. Bailly
17. Darmian
18. Memphis
19. Sanchez
20. Dalot
21. Schneiderlin
22. Schweinsteiger
23. Falcao
I didn't include Maguire, Wan-Bissaka and James, but I'd have them somewhere between Lukaku and Rojo for now.

Dr Fink

Unbelievable how a lot of you put 3 players in your lists that have not even completed 3 months playing for the club. Talk about short-sighted. The lists should have a least the basis of a full season. AWB, Maguire and James are newbies.

With that in mind, mine:
Martial
Fellaini (who I didn't want to sign but surprsied me with his performances)
Ibrahimovic
Romero
Herrera is borderline as he only started playing regularly in the last 18 months of his time with us.

A-man

Zlatan - brought back arrogance and attitude to Old Trafford, creative, scored goals, etc
Pogba- the only creative player there is atm, good signing but I was expecting more
Martial - can still improve a lot and then (if) he will be up there with the best

Then I have big hopes for Maguire to join this list and maybe also Bissaka

SER19

Pogba has been a disastrous signing (if he leaves soon). Inconsistent, huge fee, endless drama, and has been in the team at the expense of potentially rebuilding a better midfield without him.

RedDevilRoshi

So far for me, in no particular order.

Herrera
Ibra
Martial
James
AWB

Worst ones for me:

Alexis
Di Maria
Falcao
Schneiderlin
Mihki

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
After first 10 games, Depay, Basti or Bailly looked amazing so i will keep James, Harry and AWB out of this:
1) Zlatan
2) Pogba
3) Martial
4) Romero
5) Herrera

Andersons Dietician

1.Depay
2.DiMaria
3.Fellani
4.Falcao
5.Sanchez

wait no that’s not right...

Bit too soon in my opinion to be putting in people like James, Bissaka and Maguire even if they have looked good so far. I mean DiMaria started on fire and we all know how that ended.

1.Martial
2.Shaw
3.Romero

Don’t really want to put the others in like Pogba, Zlatan, Lukaku and the likes as all had good qualities but I’m not sure they’ve ever been right for us or performed as good signings should. Maybe an honourable mention to Herrera and Mata (upon occasion)

Kag

Herrera, Ibrahimovic, Martial, Pogba and Blind.

All have performed to a reasonable standard during their time at the club. Some have more to give, others would ideally still be here.

Romero has been a good buy. Mata, too, albeit not what we expected. I’m struggling to think of any other player we’ve bought that I’d qualify as any sort of success, sadly. Lindelof and Shaw still have a fair bit to prove, albeit I quite like the pair of them.

New lads look great but it’s too early to pass judgment.

Camilo

Mata
Herrera
Zlatan
Pogba
Fellaini

Martial still hasn't done enough to say whether he makes it here or not, Shaw has been average at best, and this summers signings are obviously far too recent to judge.

Irwin99

Herrera
Zlatan
Martial
Blind
Romero

Those are the only players I can think have that have had at least one consistently very good season

I don't think Shaw or anybody deserved that player of the year award last year but Herrera was excellent in 16/17 and deserved that one, but Zlatan could have won too. Blind and Martial were both very good in 15-16. Romero has been very good when called upon.

Acole9

Outstanding
Embarrassing having Pogba top of some lists, the guy is a complete joke. Doesn't give a rats ass about this club or the fans.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

That's a damning list when written out like that.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Martial
James
Wan-Bissaka
Maguire
Romero

The longer Blind isn't here the more he gets overrated. For most of the time he looked out of place and made horrible mistakes, IMO. Apart from 'Juanfield' and that free kick in Turin Mata has been a massive disappointment for me. During his time at Chelsea he was more dangerous than David Silva and genuinely one of the best in the league. He hides his shortcomings well behind his nice guy image and has been leeching off millions of euros off the club. I was one of the guys who didn't want to let go off Pogba last season and the injury troubles are a big blow to his fans. I don't think he's a pulling a Schweinsteiger and staying put in Dubai, but it's so annoying that he most likely won't be available for many games this season. He could be the go to guy at United. If he still wants out, the club should reconsider, IMO.

If Ibrahimovic could have done the business for a bit longer he could have been in there. I think i'm the only one but Di Maria wasn't so bad overall, he's been a much better player for United than Mata, yet gets called every name under the sun. United should've tried to hold on, he's been a success story for Paris for years, had also very good games in Europe, IMO.

jackal&hyde

Pogba
Martial
AWB
Maguire
Ibra

By the end of the season James might replace Ibra in there.