Top current managers

Andy_Cole

I need some education in world football. To be honest I don’t have a clue who’s out there outside the PL. Who are the top current managers?

My limited list is this in no order:

Pep
Ancelotti
Zidane
Enrique
Tuchel
Arteta
Hag
Conte
Jose
Klopp
Postegoglou
Di Zerbi
Inzaghi
Alonso
Nangelssman
Xavi
Pochettino
Simone
Emery

Any other names we should be looking at? Maybe for the future?

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Postecoglou is an absolutely outrageous inclusion, Spurs have probably had the easiest start to a season in history.

Telsim

The truly elite ones are Pep, Klopp, Ancelotti, maybe Zidane (hard to tell that one).

Good and decent ones are Tuchel, Enrique, Pochettino, etc.

The likes of Ange, Ten Hag, and Xavi Alonso are still too much in the air to tell.

The really hip choices are De Zerbi, Arne Slot, and Marcelo Gallardo (if he decides to coach again).

I'm afraid Jose and Conte might be washed.

If you are asking who we should be looking at for Manchester United, it doesn't matter. Barring the elite ones, the rest have the same chance of succeeding here.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The truly elite ones are Pep, Klopp, Ancelotti, maybe Zidane (hard to tell that one).

The likes of Ange, Ten Hag, and Xavi Alonso are still too much in the air to tell.

The really hip choices are De Zerbi, Arne Slot, and Marcelo Gallardo.

If you are asking who we should be looking at for Manchester United, it doesn't matter. Barring the elite ones, the rest have the same chance of succeeding here.
Pochettino still has everything to prove, he's been managing for nearly 15 years and has 1 league title with PSG to show for it.

Telsim

Pochettino still has everything to prove, he's been managing for nearly 15 years and has 1 league title with PSG to show for it.
He is a decent coach with years of experience. Some good, some bad. His work at Spurs was admirable. I wouldn't want him here, though, and I don't think he will change much at Chelsea either. But for a smaller club,
I think he could be quite good.

Taribo's Gap

Would add Simeone and Emery to the names. Perhaps Scaloni, if you want to include NT managers.

Simeone's style might not be everyone's cup of tea, but he's done quite well for himself and is a big character in the game. I think Emery also has quite a good track record. I'm not sure if and how Scaloni would do in a club setting, but he's building up quite a resume for himself at NT level that is hard to ignore.

Zerbi so good you had to list him twice? I guess BEATing football at such a young age does warrant it.

Last edited:

Reyoji-Utd

Top ones right now are Pep, Klopp, Ancelotti, and Zidane.

Then there are the rest....

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Hate seeing Arteta in any top manager list. The fecker's not done anything but bottled stuff.

El Zoido

The really hip choices are De Zerbi, Arne Slot, and Marcelo Gallardo (if he decides to coach again).

Even the elite ones would also fail. You cannot build success in this climate, it’s impossible. At least if you’re an elite manager you don’t have to pick these kinds of jobs.

Stadjer

I do think Arne Slot is going to be the next big Dutch manager. He did good at AZ but his achievements at Feyenoord are even better. His whole team was sold, got loads of new players and still won the league. He has done well in Europe too.

Ofcourse it does help that Ajax has been on fire ever since ETH and Overmars left but Slot has been very impressive.

The Firestarter

How reactionary you have to be put Ange as a top manager? Surely he might get there eventually , but it has been barely two months into the season.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Hate seeing Arteta in any top manager list. The fecker's not done anything but bottled stuff.
He's won a cup and made Arsenal a respected side. Maybe overrated but I think he serves as an example of what ten Hag could do. All other teams are trying to beat a cheat code team so what they do seems less amazing but when put into perspective it's actually a big accomplishment

GlasgowCeltic

Would add Simeone and Emery to the names. Perhaps Scaloni, if you want to include NT managers.

Simeone's style might not be everyone's cup of tea, but he's done quite well for himself and is a big character is the game. I think Emery also has quite a good track record. I'm not sure if and how Scaloni would do in a club setting, but he's building up quite a resume for himself at NT level that is hard to ignore.

Zerbi so good you had to list him twice? I guess BEATing football at such a young age does warrant it.
take the CL winners and Conte out of that initial list and you could argue Emery’s record puts him above all the rest

Theonas

Scout
Ancelotti is a specific case among modern managers. He just isn't someone who will be the protagonist the way Pep or Klopp are. He started his career by looking to implement a clear playing identity back in the '90s but evolved into a manager who will adapt to his players and rely heavily on the winning culture and experience of players in those teams functioning as more of a facilitator. It makes him the perfect manager for a team like Real Madrid, better than anyone really in that enrionment where they don't want a manager to dictate the culture of the club. He was really good at Chelsea under Roman as well when they already had a strong backbone of winners and experienced players. But put him somewhere like PSG, Bayern, Napoli or Everton and he just doesn't produce the same way. I think he has every chance of being a success at the Brazil job or any international job at a heritage country but he just isn't a team builder the way Pep and Klopp are. I think his ability to manage top caliber players and handle the volatile boardrooms and owners like Real's producing success at the highest level makes him easily one of the greats but a distinction need to be made between him and your typical modern manager. Zidane looks to be cut from the same cloth and he just doesn't even seem interested to prove otherwise, hence his only interest seems to be the France job.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Poch has no business being in here.

He's as good as Moyes best season with Everton. Almost something once in a blue moon. Utter failure with teams with solid players ( PSG and now Chelsea )

Say what you want about Chelsea, he should he doing much better.

All fart no shit

Theonas

Scout
Nah. If they fail it's because they're not elite.

Elite wins, wanna be find excuses
Elite also are smart and privileged at picking and selecting where they will get the best chance of success, hence we were turned down by Pep and Klopp.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
A lot of names who have no business being there especially ahead of someone like Simeone.
How many of them could win La Liga twice within a decade with a club not called Real Madrid or Barca? He also has a couple of European and domestic cup trophies plus made the CL final twice. Someone like Arteta (and others) haven’t even come close to any of this.

Andy_Cole

A lot of names who have no business being there especially ahead of someone like Simeone.
How many of them could win La Liga twice within a decade with a club not called Real Madrid or Barca? He also has a couple of European and domestic cup trophies plus made the CL final twice. Someone like Arteta (and others) haven’t even come close to any of this.
Just slipped my mind. Him and Emery will be added.

AshRK

Arteta has proved feck all to be a top manager. A promising one yes, but he is lucky to be managing a club like arsenal with less expectations. He would have been sacked multiple times at any other ambitious club for finishing 8th 8th and 5th

mu4c_20le

Alonso is far too early to call a top manager, even on current form. Nagelsmann was recently sacked but is still better imo.

RuudTom83

With managers getting the chop as soon as they hit a spell of bad form its very hard to know who is actually great at their jobs.

Anyone can have a good season.

manhood

Poch, 10Hag, Ange, DeZerbi, Nagelssman and Arteta have no business being in the list as they haven't won anything meaningful.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Arteta has proved feck all to be a top manager. A promising one yes, but he is lucky to be managing a club like arsenal with less expectations. He would have been sacked multiple times at any other ambitious club for finishing 8th 8th and 5th
I’d say that’s a reflection on the other clubs, not on Alonso.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Poch has no business being in here.

He's as good as Moyes best season with Everton. Almost something once in a blue moon. Utter failure with teams with solid players ( PSG and now Chelsea )

Say what you want about Chelsea, he should he doing much better.

All fart no shit
Say what you will about Poch. I don’t rate him particularly highly myself, he was by far my least favourite choice out of all the candidates linked with Chelsea but it’s a bit much to call him an utter failure at Chelsea at this stage.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Say what you will about Poch. I don’t rate him particularly highly myself, he was by far my least favourite choice out of all the candidates linked with Chelsea but it’s a bit much to call him an utter failure at Chelsea at this stage.
On the contrary. He might turn it around but at this stage objectively speaking he's bellow par.

4th or 5th is Chelsea's par for me considering the quality of their squad. He's way underperforming at the moment

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Elite also are smart and privileged at picking and selecting where they will get the best chance of success, hence we were turned down by Pep and Klopp.
They've earnt it.

Klopp started from the bottom, Pep too started at Barcelona B. But they took their chances and the rest is history.

You don't have to win with weaker teams, just need to punch above your weight and the opportunity will present itself.

If a new and upcoming manager can bring say... Burnley to top 10 he'll get his chance sooner or later.

And yes eventually weighting when and what offer to take is part of managerial insight. Some took a step too soon or stay in their comfort zone too long and missee their jump

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
On the contrary. He might turn it around but at this stage objectively speaking he's bellow par.

4th or 5th is Chelsea's par for me considering the quality of their squad. He's way underperforming at the moment
Nobody is an utter failure after 5 games. You could say he’s performing below par but utter failure just seems a bit too absolutist for me.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It depends a bit on whether you go by achievements or recent performances. I'd say the most interesting ones with respect to the football their teams play have comparatively little to show for. Xavi, Arteta, de Zerbi, Alonso, Spaletti and Postecoglou.

Then there are a bunch of managers who were once hyped but their reputations recently took a hit or two: Tuchel, Nagelsmann, Ten Hag, Pocchetino, Potter, Conte, Sarri come to mind.

And then also the 'old guard' that seems a little bit out of fashion but somehow still get relatively good results: Ancelotti, Mourinho.

Probably the last category are coaches who didn't really stand in the limelight for quite a while: Zidane and Luis Enrique.

Probably missed a few I didn't see much of, like Arne Slot, Inzaghi, etc. In general I'd say if a top club appoints any of those coaches, it's an interesting project. Though I always find the first category the most interesting as it is impossible to really judge their ceiling right now.

Son

Conte has had one bad job hasn’t he ever? Spurs so doesn’t even count. Same with Mou’s time at Spurs. He got them to a cup final so doesn’t count.

el3mel

There are only two elite managers at the moment, Pep and Klopp

The rest are all tier B at best.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I’ve always thought the mark of an elite coach is how much influence they’ve had in the game as a whole. Trophies can be deceiving in my opinion. Fergie, Sacchi, Michels, Pep, Klopp, Simone,etc you get the point.
More likely these guys will win trophies dues to what they bring to the game but more importantly their contributions are unique.

Oops! Just realised it said MANAGERS. Ok let’s keep it to the winners. Feck Bielsa.

Woziak

He's won a cup and made Arsenal a respected side. Maybe overrated but I think he serves as an example of what ten Hag could do. All other teams are trying to beat a cheat code team so what they do seems less amazing but when put into perspective it's actually a big accomplishment
ETH did exactly the same in his first season, Mattinelli should be at united bit for our morons who didn’t sign him after a trial.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He got Arsenal closer to a title than any of our managers have.
Do you get medals for that now? Second is second, doesn't matter what the difference is. Mourinho and Solskjaer did the same with United.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Tuchel is so overrated it's unbelievable. His UCL win was a fluke. He's basically Di Matteo with a big budget.