Music Top five rappers all time

Fosu-Mens

Could rate rappers based on their texts and how well they perform them.

Lyrics: Word play, complexity of the texts, narrative, message etc. https://pudding.cool/2017/02/vocabulary/
Performance: Flow and expression(angry, happy, etc.)

Lyrics:
Nas
Most of Wu-Tang Clan
MF Doom
Rakim
Eminem
Aesop Rock

Performance:
Biggie
Eminem
Tupac
Ice Cube

Of the young "rappers" that are active today Hopsin is not halfbad.

Maxin

I come to your team n I feck things up, I'm Moyes
Could rate rappers based on their texts and how well they perform them.

Lyrics: Word play, complexity of the texts, narrative, message etc. https://pudding.cool/2017/02/vocabulary/
Performance: Flow and expression(angry, happy, etc.)

Lyrics:
Nas
Most of Wu-Tang Clan
MF Doom
Rakim
Eminem
Aesop Rock

Performance:
Biggie
Eminem
Tupac
Ice Cube

Of the young "rappers" that are active today Hopsin is not halfbad.
Add immortal technique to lyrics?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Meth is an enigma for me, should feature more prominently on these lists but rarely does
Delivery is flawless, wordplay and vocab are huge , his voice is buttery soft, can touch on every subject, genuinely funny, metaphors for days, at ease amongst all styles of collaborators or producers
And yet his debut aside his solos have largely underwhelmed, I wonder if he's that bothered sometimes and if he's just so naturally good he doesn't try much.
He's an interesting case when we talk about lyricists in here, for me he's the perfect example of why the greats are more than just that, imagine someone like Pac with meths ability the GOAT tag wouldn't even be up for discussion
Meth is my favourite rapper - as stated. Dude could rap the Polish section of the phone book over a beat and it would sound good.

But I can't put him in my top 5.

He's probably had the most fun career of any rapper though. He's always smiling. Always doing dope shit.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Think Tyron Woodley deserves a mention.

As for groups...

Wu is pretty obvious.
Gravediggaz
Boot Camp Clik
The Roots
The Fugees

Cole9

kendrick... probably benefits from being around in an era so bereft of genuine MCs
I agree with this to an extent but IMO Kendrick is an extremely average rapper if you look at the bigger picture (i.e. going back to the late 80's to early 2000's). I liked a handful of songs from his first two albums, but other than that he's nothing special. Some of his songs don't just make me think "meh", but actually make me think "that was a dreadful song". I could name 20-30 rappers off the top of my head that are better IMO, but each to their own.

My top 5 are based partly on what I've been listening to recently, but here goes (in no particular order):

Nas
Andre 3000
Biggie
Tupac
Eminem (pre-Encore, I pretend he doesn't exist after that)

Honourable mentions go to GZA and Phife Dawg.

It's almost impossible to pick just 5. My list could change every week!

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I want more people to be aware of Pharoahe. Give these tracks a listen, it's only two songs. :)

Two of my favourite verses of all time are Pharaohe on these OK tracks:

My top five:

KRS-One
Common
Ice Cube

and two of Pharaohe/Big Pun/Ghostface/Gift of Gab/Andre 3000 (can't really separate these)

Paxi

Similar to Oui3:lol: Do you remember them?
When I say I remember them, what I mean is — I’ve heard of them! I just listen to stuff I really like from old’n days.

Paxi

Smif N Wessun.

Heltah Skeltah.

O.C

Gravediggaz

Big props to Hectic to bringing me to this music through his Hip-Hop thread. His taste in hip hop is unparalleled.

Last edited:

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Top five groups

Wu-Tang Clan
N.W.A
Public Enemy
A Tribe Called Quest
The Roots

Top five duos (only counting those who were official so no Rae and Ghost for example)

Eric B & Rakim
Mobb Deep
UGK
Gang Starr
OutKast

The Bloody-Nine

Top five groups

Wu-Tang Clan
N.W.A
Public Enemy
A Tribe Called Quest
The Roots

Top five duos (only counting those who were official so no Rae and Ghost for example)

Eric B & Rakim
Mobb Deep
UGK
Gang Starr
OutKast
I do enjoy a Gang Starr mention. Guru is quality and underappreciated in my opinion.

Loublaze

ATLien
MC Lyte and Latifah for me. Also anyone remember a female rapper called Boss? She was good and then seemed to fade into obvilion.
I remember her. Haven't heard her mentioned in a while! Remember Lady of rage?

Roosney

Smif N Wessun.

Heltah Skeltah.

Big props to Hectic to bringing me to this music through his Hip-Hop thread. His taste in hip hop is unparalleled.
I'm always happy to see BCC get some love.
Dah Shinin is in my top 3 albums for sure.

BTW Smif-N-Wessun are dropping a new album this week I think.

Spoony

The People's President
I remember her. Haven't heard her mentioned in a while! Remember Lady of rage?

Afro Puffs? I've been watching the likes of MC Serch and Redman talk about MC Hammer and to my surprise they said he was a real G unlike the other wannabes. Not that I can get my head around that.

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien
Afro Puffs? I've been watching the likes of MC Serch and Redman talk about MC Hammer and to my surprise they said he was a real G unlike the other wannabes. Not that I can get my head around that.
Rappers tried him because of his clean image but Hammer got hood when he had to. He was more of a G than Dre or the New York transplant Tupac ever were. He did grow up in East Oakland project housings, enough said.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Peter André. OooooOoooooooOoo... mysterious gurlll

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Here's one....

Who are the top 5 rappers, with the best discography? Only their work as solo artists is counted.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Can't believe there is no love for Will Smith. Gangsta. Dude was born and raised in West Philly with a nightmare on his street. It was like the a wild wild west out there. Them wannabe rappers in here wanted to get jiggy with it but they ain't nothing but trouble. Willy bringing heat for real in the summertime in Miami.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Just from the top of my head. DOOM, Kanye, Ghostface, Jay, Lupe/Cube/Nas.
Interesting perspective.
I have no idea what my list would be - i'm thinking of trying to measure as a total how many albums a rapper has, and how many of those are great, good, average or forgettable (I think calling every other album 'classic' has lost all meaning) and measuring only the 'great' and 'good' albums as a positive on their record.

Something like;

Nas - 11 albums - 4 great, 2 good, 3 average, 2 forgettable (6/11 = 54%)

Trying to be objective of course, the Nas stan in me would have his albums graded higher than that but I think thats a fair reflection for the average hip-hop head.