Top Four is going to be tough next season | In other news grass is green and water is wet

Sparky Rhiwabon

Talk of the the title but let's not run before we can walk - there are only four Champions League qualification places and a number of teams that can realistically compete for it:

Us - 5th last season, better manager and will strengthen this summer

Leicester - 1st last season, but may lose key players and their squad may struggle to juggle Europe

Arsenal - 2nd last season, lots of experience, will probably strengthen in key areas, always finish top four

Spurs - 3rd last season, will probably strengthen, good manager and already have experience of European squad football

City - 4th last season, will probably strengthen massively, better manager now

Liverpool - 8th last season (but partly due to putting eggs in Europa basket), good manager, will strengthen, NO EUROPEAN DISTRACTIONS

Chelsea - 11th last season but their squad is better than that, new manager, will strengthen, NO EUROPEAN DISTRACTIONS

That's already SEVEN TEAMS with only four places and that's before ruling out any surprise package like we had last season - West Ham, Everton, etc

It's going to be very competitive!

(NICE TITLE TAG :lol:)

Last edited:

Gizzyspop

Or its possible more than 1 of those teams under perform like this season.

No chance Leicester finish top 4 and Spurs were only there because 4 other teams were poor.

zeekey

Talk of the the title but let's not run before we can walk - there are only four Champions League qualification places and a number of teams that can realistically compete for it:

Leicester - 1st last season, but may lose key players and their squad may struggle to juggle Europe

Arsenal - 2nd last season, lots of experience, will probably strengthen in key areas, always finish top four

Spurs - 3rd last season, will probably strengthen, good manager and already have experience of European squad football

Liverpool - 8th last season (but partly due to putting eggs in Europa basket), good manager, will strengthen, NO EUROPEAN DISTRACTIONS

Chelsea - 11th last season but their squad is better than that, new manager, will strengthen, NO EUROPEAN DISTRACTIONS

That's already SEVEN TEAMS with only four places and that's before ruling out any surprise package like we had last season - West Ham, Everton, etc

Absolutely, there'll be about 4 teams going for the title. Another 4 going for a champions league spot. That's before you even get to Leicester. Then you've got as you say an Everton or Southampton to have a good season. When the Euros are done and players start coming back off holidays the transfers will start moving. I don't expect us to sign anyone for about 4-5 weeks as most of our targets will be playing in France or the US. I think Bailly was signed when he was to stop a bit of unrest. I expect City to have a couple in before and whilst in Asia. Hopefully we will too.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
Or its possible more than 1 of those teams under perform like this season.

No chance Leicester finish top 4 and Spurs were only there because 4 other teams were poor.
Yeah think this is an important point, highly doubt all will be on top form. Seasons never turn out as we expect.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
I expect it to be five teams challenging for the top 4, with Tottenham and Leicester fighting for EL.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
I could see next season being another bad one for the richer clubs all around.

Needham

I bet there has never been an occasion when so many Caf members muttered the phrase, "No shit Sherlock" as when they first saw this title thread.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Leicester will finish around 10th, Spurs were only up there because the other top teams were too inconsistent.

Top 4 will be likely be us, city, Arsenal and Chelsea/Liverpool fighting for 4th

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I don't think any of the big teams missing out on top 4 can have many excuses. It might be competitive but the quality of the PL is very questionable.

Last season Us,Liverpool,Chelsea have no excuses. We all had more than enough resources to make it.

Sigma

I have us as favourites for the League.

1. Manchester United
2. Manchester City
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal

Back to normality.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I don't see why people have Liverpool up there.
Sure, they got Klopp, but the squad isn't all that.
Sturridge is always injured.
Coutinho will probably be sold - even if Liverpool supporters don't believed this, but if Barca or PSG make an offer for him, he's gone.

West Ham have improved the last couple seasons, and i don't see how Liverpool will overtake them.
Southampton will fall several places after losing Koeman, and probably end up somewhere between 10-14.
Leicester won't make top 4 again.
Everton got money, and a good manager.

I think top 4 will be United, City, Chelsea and Arsenal, with Spurs, West Ham, Liverpool and Everton 5.-8.
Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal will probably be the ones fighting about 3.-5.
Depends on how Conte adapt to the PL, and what players he will bring in.

redwar

Liverpool - If they want top 4 they need better defenders and less injuries for players like Coutinho or proper backup. Klopp is no good when he needs to hold a one goal difference. PL needs this.

Chelsea - A rather inexperienced manager who will be tested. The squad is full of talent but last year looked fatigued.

Tottenham - They are building something. I think their playing style is more solid than Arsenal's. But they need depth. Pochettino and his squad will be tested in the CHL. It will be difficult for them to keep their form.

Leicester - I don't believe they deserved the title. Arsenal and Tottenham were far better. A small club with a tiny club's playing mentality. It will be fun to watch them defending against teams like Bayern Munich.

Us - Well, the players are on high spirits. It's important that we have a manger that the players trust so much. We ve got many talented players who look like the don't stick together. It will be a very interesting season for us. Of course top 4 is not an easy task. But we are very hungry and Tottenham and Leicester will be tired.

Manchester City - Already challenging for the title. Boy they need defenders...

If one of the classic 4 is out it's Liverpool. The team that can take their place can only be Tottnham.

mu77

We are in the top 4 if we fired LVG in December. the league was there to be won and LC did it. with the right tactics and mgr we'll be fine.

Norris

Yes, it would be difficult without a doubt, but if Jose can recreate what he's done at previous clubs and if he gets the signings that he prioritized, then I think we can get Top 2.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I bet there has never been an occasion when so many Caf members muttered the phrase, "No shit Sherlock" as when they first saw this title thread.
Yes, probably, but I have also seen a lot talking about the Title so I thought it might be worth pointing out the "obvious" to manage people's expectations a bit. It should be the most exciting PL season for years though :):devil:

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
As has been mentioned already, Leicester and Spurs simply won't have nearly as good a season next year, this past year was a freak even for Premier League standards, they'll both be going back down to where they both respectively belong. Arsenal will finish in the top four but they won't win the title because well.... I don't even need to say why at this stage. That leaves just City who finished above us last year as the only real threat for the title in my view.

It all depends on how our Summer Business goes but one of the Manchester clubs will be lifting the trophy come May I'm sure of it, if we can add some quality to the team and couple it together with Mourinho's man management and Premier League know how, we have to be considered favourites to ruin Pep's first season. Gonna be exciting and I'm not worried at all about top four, we're gonna breeze into it.

Reactions: Raoul

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Agreed, I don't see how anyone can make bold predictions about who definitely will/won't be in the top 4 after last season.

NJM78

I dont see us winning the league with current team, Jose or not, although this can change should we sign some top class players. Currently I think we will finish 3rd but early days in the window.

Top 4.

City
Arsenal
United
Chelsea

Spurs
Liverpool

RedPed

Whatabouter.

Man, I fecking hate that phrase! :mad:

Clubs/fans kill themselves trying to get into Europe then once they get there, they bitch about it and moan about having to play 2 games in three/four days, not having a big or deep enough squad, play weakened teams because of PL fixtures coming up etc., etc. Then once they get knocked out, the fans say we didn't want to be in it anyway and we can now focus on the league?? Then the whole cycle of clinching the European places start all over again. Stupid!!

What's the point?? It's bad enough devaluing the domestic competitions. I just hope Mourinho doesn't see the Europa League as a distraction and goes all out to win it like every other competition we will be in next season.

Makes a mockery of this whole Top 4 thing!

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Can't see Leicester finishing top four, so there's one opening for United if they're good enough. Tottenham might drop off too next season.

pacifictheme

Just out of interest - if we don't finish top 4, will you be calling for the Mou head ?
Depends. If we play as awful football as this season yes. There is much more potential to struggle this season that last so it would be less of a failure.

Could go either way with jose though. I think we'll either challenge for the title or be way off the pace. Its either brilliant or meltdown under him.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Liverpool - If they want top 4 they need better defenders and less injuries for players like Coutinho or proper backup. Klopp is no good when he needs to hold a one goal difference. PL needs this.

Chelsea - A rather inexperienced manager who will be tested. The squad is full of talent but last year looked fatigued.

Tottenham - They are building something. I think their playing style is more solid than Arsenal's. But they need depth. Pochettino and his squad will be tested in the CHL. It will be difficult for them to keep their form.

Leicester - I don't believe they deserved the title. Arsenal and Tottenham were far better. A small club with a tiny club's playing mentality. It will be fun to watch them defending against teams like Bayern Munich.

Us - Well, the players are on high spirits. It's important that we have a manger that the players trust so much. We ve got many talented players who look like the don't stick together. It will be a very interesting season for us. Of course top 4 is not an easy task. But we are very hungry and Tottenham and Leicester will be tired.

Manchester City - Already challenging for the title. Boy they need defenders...

If one of the classic 4 is out it's Liverpool. The team that can take their place can only be Tottnham.
You will find that hard to convince Caf members, even though I do not believe far better is the right word to use. Nevertheless, I agree that Leceister will find it hard to retain top four because they will find it hard to sustain what worked last season and juggled European/domestic competition. I mean for a club that won they league, they are targeting average player like Troy Deaney and bought Zieler? That shows little ambition and unless they keep the core of what made them successful last season, they will struggle next season.

Regarding the thread topic, I guess that is what we call stating the obvious. I
Believe one thing that has to be assured is that under Mourinho, we should finish top four. Because anything else domestically will be a tremendous failure. I could bet my house on that outcome.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
I don't see why people have Liverpool up there.
Sure, they got Klopp, but the squad isn't all that.
Sturridge is always injured.
Coutinho will probably be sold - even if Liverpool supporters don't believed this, but if Barca or PSG make an offer for him, he's gone.
Coutinho will stay, he's not good enough for Barcelona. All but signed Denis Suarez, no need for Countinho when they have Turan, Suarez, Rafinha in reserve.

People are forgetting Liverpool only finished 6 points from Man City and when you take into account the poor start under Rodgers and Liverpool focusing on the Europa league and playing reserve team in the last few league games they're not far off. The other teams will strengthen but so will Liverpool. 4/5 good first 11 signings and they have a decent squad capable of challenging for top 4.

There's many players at Sevilla, Villarreal, Valencia etc that would massively improve Liverpool. GK, CB, LB, DM are areas that should be addressed by Klopp.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Imagine if Leicester lose Kante, Mahrez and Vardy and end up getting relegated. Nothing ever like it

oskarutd

The lesser team can improve because of the money from the new TV deal. They have been improving the last years but the top teams have gone backwards or stagnated. Counter-attack has been the best way for teams to win games in not so distant past. The top clubs cannot play like that against lesser teams and are suffering. They didn't find a solution last season, so Leicester won the League. I expect the League to become even better, only a question if the top clubs can deal with it and beat their challenge. Otherwise we will have another season like this last and a surprise team in top four, even two.

stepic

I don't see why everyone has Tottenham to fall away, their best players will only improve next year and they will have money to add one or two quality players. I rate their squad over most, certainly Chelsea's.

Leicester I agree with. The rest will depend on the transfer window.

cully84

We'll strengthen in the right positions and we already have done with the manager
Now we have all the building blocks needed to mount a proper challenge on all fronts regardless of what the other teams are doing.Mourinho will turn Old Trafford into the fortress it once was.

ash_86

I don't see why everyone has Tottenham to fall away, their best players will only improve next year and they will have money to add one or two quality players. I rate their squad over most, certainly Chelsea's.
Spurs undoubtedly has some excellent players, but i feel it will all come down to the managers when the going gets tough. At one point spurs were challenging for the title and suddenly imploded at the end. Potch is certainly a good manager , but the inclusion of some excellent managers such as Pep, Jose(rejuvenated), Conte , he'll have some difficulty getting through big matches(mind games). Also the squad is very young and lack a proper leader. It'll not be as easy for them as the last term.

Reactions: brewlio

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona

Leicester I agree with. The rest will depend on the transfer window.
Spurs don't have great strength in depth and with CL football and having to play your best 11 each gameweek will affect their league form. Drew 13 games last season, 8 were against Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton and Liverpool, I feel many of those draws could become defeats next season as all four will be stronger in my view. Can't see them taking 6 points from Shitty under Pep.

Tottenham finished with less points than what AVB had in a weak premier league, next season they will go back down the table IMO.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
1: West Ham United
2: Tottenham Hotspur
3: Arsenal
4:Manchester City
5: Manchester United
Jose will be great, but we're in transition right now.

This would send all the major fan forums into complete meltdown. Spurs finishing above Arsenal would make Arsene's undoing. If I was the betting type I'd put a small punt on WHU. I'd prefer us 4th and Pep 5th though.

Last edited: