Film Top Gun - Maverick

Brocky

Definitely going to watch this but am under no illusion that it'll even come close to the first one. I'm also not thrilled to see that they have gone with the F/A-18 Hornet as the main aircraft. For me, it really doesn't have the 'cool factor' that the F-14 Tomcat had, although the final shot in the trailer is of an F-14, so it's at least making an appearance. I really would have loved to see it replaced with something a bit cooler than the Hornet, though.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
He doesn't look crazy at all.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Definitely going to watch this but am under no illusion that it'll even come close to the first one. I'm also not thrilled to see that they have gone with the F/A-18 Hornet as the main aircraft. For me, it really doesn't have the 'cool factor' that the F-14 Tomcat had, although the final shot in the trailer is of an F-14, so it's at least making an appearance. I really would have loved to see it replaced with something a bit cooler than the Hornet, though.
Hornet is still the primary naval fighter jet as the F-35 is taking an age to get to production levels. F-14 hasn't been used for over 15 years and the 5 years previous to that only a select few crews were still using it. I just hope they don't do some hopeless romantic bullshit and call "out of retirement" as some sort of secret weapon. Even back when the original came out, it was a dated aircraft with massive flaws and was at the point of requiring extensive redevelopment to remain competitive against the Fulcrum and other Mig's. The Hornet is lighter and more manoeuvrable which is why it replaced the F-14 although the F-14D had some serious grunt from the engine upgrade.

Still, the F-14 is a much prettier plane and probably only the F-22 comes close to having as bad ass stance.

If it's successful, you'll see another one after this.

The beauty of the first Top Gun is that it was incredibly simplistic. It was literally an epic popcorn film. I hope that some of the Cinema's run them back to back because I would to see the remastered first film in the Cinema. I was born 6 years after it was made and its something that I'd love to witness.

You can already pick holes throughout this movie (no chance on earth that a 50+ year old fighter pilot is flying carrier landings and takeoffs) but who cares :D

Last edited:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Imperialist claptrap for perpetual adolescents; weak daddy's boys hiding beneath a military-masculinity complex. You can be Tom Cruise too.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Cruise is a complete feckin' lunatic of the highest order but as a result he makes some great action pieces. It might actually be ... decent?

Oldyella

90 minutes of Cruise complaining about how hi G's hurt his piles to his 20 year old fellow pilots.

I have never looked forward to a film as much as this one.

Sanche7

Is he actually piloting a fighter jet? First a very risky helicopter shot and now a fighter jet ? The guy has some balls or as others have said, he’s completely crazy. I’ve heard that even proper fighter pilots have a difficult time landing those jets on a moving aircraft carrier. How the feck is he doing it, if that’s not CGI that is. Looks pretty real to me

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The last few Mission Impossible movie were fecking amazing. I'm sure this will be too.

I will convert to Scientology for this one.

Is he actually piloting a fighter jet? First a very risky helicopter shot and now a fighter jet ? The guy has some balls or as others have said, he’s completely crazy. I’ve heard that even proper fighter pilots have a difficult time landing those jets on a moving aircraft carrier. How the feck is he doing it, if that’s not CGI that is. Looks pretty real to me
:lol: Of course he's not piloting them. Many of the F18s are two seaters, they're just filming him in the back seat whilst the actual pilot flies in the front. They did the same thing in the F14s in the original.

Sanche7

:lol: Of course he's not piloting them. Many of the F18s are two seaters, they're just filming him in the back seat whilst the actual pilot flies in the front. They did the same thing in the F14s in the original.
Oh yeah makes sense. I knew it was improbable but fecking Tom Cruise can do anything

Simbo

He's wearing some sort of space suit in most scenes in that trailer (that he isn't wearing in the F/A-18. So it looks like some other aircraft is going to be the focal point.

Interested to know the length of CGI used in this film. He said he wouldn't do it unless it was done right.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Fast and the Furious meets Top Gear judging by that trailer. But still, fighter planes are cool and make pretty pictures, I'll probably give it a watch. :D

K13

Watched the original 20+ times ... very sad I know but loved it.

Andersons Dietician

Kenny Loggins has been playing all day at full blast and when ever anyone asks me a question no matter what it is I have been replying, “because I was inverted” I have even referred to some people as enemy MIGS.

Kaush949

He's wearing some sort of space suit in most scenes in that trailer (that he isn't wearing in the F/A-18. So it looks like some other aircraft is going to be the focal point.

Interested to know the length of CGI used in this film. He said he wouldn't do it unless it was done right.
SR-71 Blackbird :drool:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This should be great fun.

He knows how to make an action film that's for sure. It'll be corny and slightly camp in true top gun style, and we'll love it!

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I felt very nostalgic when I watched the trailer - the in-cockpit footage looks incredible - I'm 100% all in.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Looks fun. Think it needs that retro feel though, which I realise wasn't retro at the time but still must've had an obvious charm.

Tarrou

gonna give Top Gun a go, never seen it on account of it looking like an extremely shit Tom Cruise movie

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

He's said that all the footage in the trailer was real, so I hope that applies for all of the scenes. Unless they need to blow something up that'll need to be CG especially if Tom is in the jet. Not even Xenu will save him from that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Doing a super-straight sequel would be weird given the original is now (arguably) primarily known for being so ridiculously homoerotic but actually setting out to maintain that sheer level of camp in a sequel would be quite the task. Action films don't really work like that any more.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
SR-71 Blackbird :drool:
Don't think one of those bad boys has been flown since the early 90's, but why the feck not.

FYI - Greatest fight pilot story ever
Great thing about the first movie is it really hasn't aged that badly. There's very little dialogue and its extremely basic. You could literally remake the thing tomorrow exactly the same with updated CGI and camera work and it would blow box office records.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The first one is an absolutely horrendous film. Nothing happens and Tom Cruise follows a woman into the toilet. Then there’s an hour of the steel mill scene from the Simpsons. Nostalgia rots your brains guys.