Film Top three movies of 2021

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
1. The Father was ultimately the one at the top this year for me, boring subject upfront, really great acting and cinematography, the movie really sucks you into that flat. Has a soft / psychological horror build up feel to it.

2. The Green Knight. Unique movie. A total surprise.

3. DUNE for the cinematography that was sublime in IMAX. Wheras the editing, some actors and compressed story was a letdown for me.

MATRIX was a major letdown, The Last Duel was really cool but a bit repetitive. No Way home was good old Marvel fun.

I was disappointed also a bit with Dune for the story & cut. The movie felt way too compressed, and House Atreides looked like they landed and 2 days later got mauled, great much of the buildup was missing. Some of the early trailers had some story bits that seem to have been cut alltogether from the final. Hopefully down the line, a fleshed out director's edition will be released.
I was just thinking about how inevitable that is. Drive My Car was a full 3 hours and based on a short story. Dune is based on. 550 page novel so even with two movies it's going to feel truncated. I'm hoping for a directors cut too.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
What's this
Don't know much about it, just seen the posters everywhere, directed by your favourite Mr Carax.

What's the Velvet Underground about? And that first one?
Well, the Velvet Underground and that whole scene. It's your standard talking heads docu really but the use of archival footage and choice of stylizing it in the vein of Andy Warhol/Paul Morrisey made it quite cozey.

It's the life and times of a Scandinavian millennial, you should watch it.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I was disappointed also a bit with Dune for the story & cut. The movie felt way too compressed, and House Atreides looked like they landed and 2 days later got mauled, great much of the buildup was missing. Some of the early trailers had some story bits that seem to have been cut alltogether from the final. Hopefully down the line, a fleshed out director's edition will be released.
One of the actors, the mental guy for House Atriedes, said a director’s cut would be like 4.5-5 hours long. I don’t know Villeneuve’s views on releasing such things though.

caid

Green Knight and Dune are top 2 and miles above anything else i've seen this year.
Only saw Another Round this year so i'd give that the 3rd spot but it was released in 2020 apparently. I'll give Pig the third spot

Mercurial

One of the actors, the mental guy for House Atriedes, said a director’s cut would be like 4.5-5 hours long. I don’t know Villeneuve’s views on releasing such things though.
Thats really great to hear, interest would be high! You are probably right in your suspicions however, he doesn't seem to be the kind of director that does these cuts or lose sleep on it.

He is in demand and too highly dependent on the studio money in order to materialize all these majestic big projects and seem like the type of fella that compromises in a friendly way on his creative freedoms vs throw a public fit (perhaps why the remake movies he made are so so awesome in production value but lack some tiny bits of corporate risk taking). Hopefully Dune together with part 2 garner such high cult following it will happen anyways like Zack Snyder's justice league cut.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Watched The Green Knight last night. I loved it, my wife and son felt it dragged for long periods. The cinematography was great. The story was great.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Don't think I've even seen 3 movies made in 2021. At least not any particularly great ones. Aside from The Mitchells vs. The Machines, which was really enjoyable.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
1. Nomadland
2. The Killing of Two Lovers
3. Sound of Metal