Toronto incident

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
This sounds really bad.

Eyewitness saying he drove up to a mile at high speeds mowing down pedestrians.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
"
Emergency crews were called to Yonge Street and Finch Avenue East, near the North York Civic Centre, around 1:30 p.m., after a white van mounted the sidewalk and struck a number of people.

Aerial footage from the scene shows multiple victims covered with blankets.

Police initially estimated that eight to 10 pedestrians were hit, but clarified on Twitter a short time later that it is “too early to confirm the number of pedestrians struck or their injuries.”

The van, which appeared to be a Ryder rental van, then fled the area, making it roughly two kilometers before being stopped near Poyntz Avenue. The driver’s side door of the van – which had severe front-end damage - remained open as police taped off the area.

Police have not released any information about the cause of the crash. The driver is reportedly in custody."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...orted-after-van-hits-people-in-north-toronto/

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The footage of the arrest is bizarre.
It is. Looks like he's pointing a gun at them? What's the crazy fast arm movement plus what looks like some kind of spark coming from a few feet in front?

Edit: 'spark' looks like it's a reflection actually. Still weird movements though, and that he's pointing something at them. I assume it can't be a gun.

Last edited:

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
feck. Hits so much harder when its at home.
Shite, your actual home town...? I hope you & yours are all okay.

Tragic stuff. Can ban guns, can ban people from carrying knives... How can you ban a nutter from getting into a big vehicle & driving it on the pavement? I said it last year when the "first" big incident happend - THIS is the scariest thing. You can't stop it.

Unless you put bollards EVERYWHERE.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
It is. Looks like he's pointing a gun at them? What's the crazy fast arm movement plus what looks like some kind of spark coming from a few feet in front?

Edit: 'spark' looks like it's a reflection actually. Still weird movements though, and that he's pointing something at them. I assume it can't be a gun.
He's pretending to have a gun to goad the police into shooting him. Works better in America though.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

Tragic stuff. Can ban guns, can ban people from carrying knives... How can you ban a nutter from getting into a big vehicle & driving it on the pavement? I said it last year when the "first" big incident happend - THIS is the scariest thing. You can't stop it.

Obviously there is what you said. As well harder checking in renting vans. You can't eliminate the thread but you definitely can diminish it

There is another good idea. Stop messing with those countries

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Not quite my home town as this is North York, I'm from about 40 mins west and my sister goes to uni 15 mins west of there.

Its frightening isn't it. There really is no way to stop it.

Superb work by the cop though. Some reports saying the driver was yelling he had a gun and was trying to quickdraw his phone pretending it was a gun but the cop kept his cool.

EyeInTheSky

He's pretending to have a gun to goad the police into shooting him. Works better in America though.

Could be wrong but sounds like a British accent when he says "I got a gun in my pocket"?

Deleted member 101472

Don’t know what to make of the location, Yonge and finch is far away from downtown and in Toronto terms wouldn’t have been that busy. If this guy had even more malicious intent he could have driven 15 minutes and been in one of the busiest downtowns in North America at lunchtime.

Last edited by a moderator:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah I can't imagine they would've hesitated in the US.

If it's what he wanted, I'm glad he didn't get his wish.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Obviously there is what you said. As well harder checking in renting vans. You can't eliminate the thread but you definitely can diminish it

Even then, you can buy/steal an old transit without much fuss.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Even then, you can buy/steal an old transit without much fuss.
Sure, Possibilities are there, but I know how to rent a van, I don't know how to steal a car. And you can get caught while stealing a car

AS I said, everything helps. But basically not messing with other countries (because even if this guy is white, he got the idea of the first terrorists attacks in Nice and Germany) would help (to diminish and to get less ideas to copycat). This is not happening without a reason

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This is like 5 minutes from where I’m staying but we were drinking downtown at the time. Messed up though, the intersections here are pretty big and a lot of people cross at a time.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Sure, Possibilities are there, but I know how to rent a van, I don't know how to steal a car. And you can get caught while stealing a car

AS I said, everything helps. But basically not messing with other countries (because even if this guy is white, he got the idea of the first terrorists attacks in Nice and Germany) would help (to diminish and to get less ideas to copycat). This is not happening without a reason
Can buy a second hand transit for a few hundred quid - No harm in spending the money if you're going to die/go to jail anyway. Impossible to stop it, sadly... Make it harder? Like you say, definitely possible. But to stop it? Sigh :(

I agree entirely. Instead of poking a wasps nest & looking at the best ways not to get stung, why not just not poke the fecking nest?

Deleted member 101472

This is like 5 minutes from where I’m staying but we were drinking downtown at the time. Messed up though, the intersections here are pretty big and a lot of people cross at a time.
Yeah where it happened is about as Minimal casualties as you’ll get anywhere near the downtown region, ten minutes south on Yonge and you’re talking thousands of people on the sidewalks and crossing

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
stop it is impossible. The west went to war and we are reaping what we sow. Fortunately, as spectacularly terrifying it is, a terrorist/psycho attack is the least of our concerns in terms of security, statistically speaking.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah where it happened is about as Minimal casualties as you’ll get anywhere near the downtown region, ten minutes south on Yonge and you’re talking thousands of people on the sidewalks and crossing
Yeah it’s a bit weird that the person chose that area but it depends on the motive I guess. There was nothing stopping him going downtown where hundreds cross at a time.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
The west went to war and we are reaping what we sow.
Could you stop this at least until anything is known about the perpetrator and his motives?