Tottenham v Chelsea (what do we want?)

What do you want

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Like an idiot I clicked the wrong one, for a Spurs win. If Chelsea win it keeps Liverpool out of the title race and brings us closer to fourth.

Ixion

Why does it have to be Poo if not Chelsea? If we beat them at OT, we will be 2 points behind them in 15 days time. You think in that scenario Pool still have a far better chance than us?
1) They're not in Europe 2) They played most of their rivals away from home in the first half of the season

And switching your scenario if they beat us they're 8 point clear of us. But the point is if Chelsea drop enough points for us to catch them then Liverpool, Arsenal, and City will almost certainly catch them aswell and we'd need all of those teams to drop points to. It is very unlikely and it's not like Chelsea are going to lose 4-5 times in the second half of the season anyway.

NK86

1) They're not in Europe 2) They played most of their rivals away from home in the first half of the season

And switching your scenario if they beat us they're 8 point clear of us. But the point is if Chelsea drop enough points for us to catch them then Liverpool, Arsenal, and City will almost certainly catch them aswell and we'd need all of those teams to drop points to. It is very unlikely and it's not like Chelsea are going to lose 4-5 times in the second half of the season anyway.
If you are confident Chelsea will lose 4-5 times in the second half of the season, then why are you worried if they lose now? Plus all the other teams are bunched in. So if we all get a chance to chase down Chelsea, there is no harm in it. Unless you think we aren't good enough while the other teams are. In that case, why even bother worrying about top 4 as well?

Jacob

Since when is 10 points impossible to catch up? Draw.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Since when is 10 points impossible to catch up? Draw.
By that notion, which I agree with it makes no sense to want a draw?

If and its a big if, Spurs do win tomorrow then it's possible that Chelsea's lead could have all but gone within the next 5 or 6 games.

Ixion

If you are confident Chelsea will lose 4-5 times in the second half of the season, then why are you worried if they lose now? Plus all the other teams are bunched in. So if we all get a chance to chase down Chelsea, there is no harm in it. Unless you think we aren't good enough while the other teams are. In that case, why even bother worrying about top 4 as well?
I said Chelsea won't lose 4-5 times. And it's not a matter of the other teams being better it's a fact we have points to gain on ALL of them. If you're chasing down one team things can happen but expecting all of the 5 teams above us to lose enough times that we end up on top is so unlikely. Wanting Spurs to win tonight is foolish, there is no gurantee we'll even get top 4 so we should want City/Arsenal/Liverpool/Spurs to lose whenever possible.

Verbalkint

As with most others, a Chelsea win. We're not going to leapfrog them this year; might as well have a better shot at kicking Tottenham in the gonads.

NK86

I said Chelsea won't lose 4-5 times. And it's not a matter of the other teams being better it's a fact we have points to gain on ALL of them. If you're chasing down one team things can happen but expecting all of the 5 teams above us to lose enough times that we end up on top is so unlikely. Wanting Spurs to win tonight is foolish, there is no gurantee we'll even get top 4 so we should want City/Arsenal/Liverpool/Spurs to lose whenever possible.
You talk as if we have to wait on them to collapse. We are 5 points off 2nd and 1 point off 4th. All this can change in 1-2 rounds of fixtures. Cannot understand why posters are more focused on the number of teams than the number of points. All the teams above us also have to play each other. You think we cannot gain that time?

NK86

By that notion, which I agree with it makes no sense to want a draw?

If and its a big if, Spurs do win tomorrow then it's possible that Chelsea's lead could have all but gone within the next 5 or 6 games.
A draw would ensure Spurs also becoming just a game away from going behind us. That is the logic of a draw.

flappyjay

I believe our only chance for silverware will come from domestic cups and Europa. I vote Chelsea win. I think a lot of people are underestimating Spurs a bit too much, there is no guarantee that we will overtake them if they don't lose against other top six sides. The top six teams this year are stronger than they have been in a while and they all seem to be handing out beatings to the rest of the teams.

Treble_Winning

I believe our only chance for silverware will come from domestic cups and Europa. I vote Chelsea win. I think a lot of people are underestimating Spurs a bit too much, there is no guarantee that we will overtake them if they don't lose against other top six sides. The top six teams this year are stronger than they have been in a while and they all seem to be handing out beatings to the rest of the teams.
To be honest I am not worried about Spurs in the slightest bit.

I believe we will overtake City, Arsenal and Liverpool. The only true rival we have is Chelsea. The others will fall away. Chelsea will also lose points and we need to be in a position to take full advantage.

m1y2

well what happened to the confidence in our title win, wasn't it Chelsea under Mourinho who almost deleted 15 on us in the second part of the season and maybe won? I am pretty sure something like this happen and it involved Chelsea and perhaps Mou... the title race is not over, Pep's team look shaky as hell. Arsenal is Arsenal and Spurs? ffs, why should we be afraid of spurs, we have much better team and manager this season. Liverpool we beat next game at OT, win 6 points on them and are back in it with tough fixtures for Chelsea, it's certainly possible, 18 games to play = 54 points

m1y2

To be honest I am not worried about Spurs in the slightest bit.

I believe we will overtake City, Arsenal and Liverpool. The only true rival we have is Chelsea. The others will fall away. Chelsea will also lose points and we need to be in a position to take full advantage.
that's proper thinking and I don't think it's far from reality.. we should be aiming to win not finishing top4, if we think we can win it and try to win every game we will easily finish top4

Unmutual

Chelsea are uncatchable, by us anyway. Better that our rivals for the top 4 lose every point possible. If that also prevents Liverpool winning the title, so much the better.

Havak

Pokemon master
I keep wanting to tell myself draw for some reason, as we won't overtake Spurs right away and I still think Chelsea will win the title.

But then I realise that it might as well be a Chelsea win as I don't think we have a realistic chance of catching them, and I think I'd rather Chelsea win the title than any of the other teams above us.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'd like Tottenham to win, purely because I know they will feck themselves soon enough in other games anyway.

youngrell

I voted for a Spurs win.

I can understand the pragmatic view of wanting Chelsea to continue pulling away from everyone (Liverpool in particular) as we see unlikely to win the league, but I am looking at it in a positive, long-term view.

City looked unbeatable at the start of the season and went on a similar run to Chelsea's current one, but then imploded. Same could easily happen to Chelsea once they finally break this winning sequence. I also think Liverpool and Spurs' high intensity play (along with their relatively thin squads) will see them lose steam towards the end, so I'm not too worried about them.

Wanting Spurs to lose just so we can go level with them right away is a bit shortsighted in my view. We have plenty of time to overtake them and if we can keep our own winning run going then we will continue to close the gap at the top.

It's just too early to rule anything out for me.

Reactions: Invictus

Oscie

Between now and 4th February Chelsea play Spurs (away), Liverpool (away) and Arsenal. I'd want to see we are in relation to their points tally after that before I start wishing for them to disappear over the horizon, all of the sake of having the jitters about Liverpool capitalising if they don't.

Robertd0803

Chelsea win please. Cant see us catching them and certainly don't want anyone else catching them either.

GloryHunter07

A draw or a chelsea win, preferably with about 6 red cards.

Winning the league is not realistic this season but finishing above Spurs is.

Oscie

We're 5 points behind Liverpool. A gap that could be 2 points if we beat them on the 15th.

If people think Liverpool can catch Chelsea if Conte's side slip up, why can't we? If we do beat Liverpool and the gap is reduced are two points the difference between 'stand a chance of the title' and 'it's over, hope Chelsea pull away', in January?

To me that doesn't make sense. Hoping Chelsea pull away of the team that soon could be just 2 points ahead of us on the basis that we can't possibly catch Chelsea but they can?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We're 5 points behind Liverpool. A gap that could be 2 points if we beat them on the 15th.

If people think Liverpool can catch Chelsea if Conte's side slip up, why can't we? If we do beat Liverpool and the gap is reduced are two points the difference between 'stand a chance of the title' and 'it's over, hope Chelsea pull away', in January?

To me that doesn't make sense. Hoping Chelsea pull away of the team that soon could be just 2 points ahead of us on the basis that we can't possibly catch Chelsea but they can?
After Liverpool's draw against Sunderland, I don't think many reckon they can catch Chelsea (and thats when they have 5 points on us).

We are out of the title race IMO. When the European fixtures kick off again, Chelsea will have an even bigger advantage in terms of rest to compliment their ~6-9 points lead at the top.

Oscie

After Liverpool's draw against Sunderland, I don't think many reckon they can catch Chelsea (and thats when they have 5 points on us).

We are out of the title race IMO. When the European fixtures kick off again, Chelsea will have an even bigger advantage in terms of rest to compliment their ~6-9 points lead at the top.
At the moment the gap is 10 points. I know that we've played one game more than they have until tonight but to me that's not sufficient to declare the title race over after the first round of fixtures in January. Okay we'll have to play that game of 'if we're brilliant all the time and they drop points all the time....' but I really do think looking at their upcoming fixtures they stand a chance of dropping points somewhere. If we get to the end of February and the gap is reduced from 10 (assuming they lose tonight) to maybe 6 or 7 points, with them still to come to OT then wanting them to pull away now will look premature.

I get not wanting Liverpool to win the title, I don't understand how the difference between a side having a chance of winning it so much that we want the team in front to pull away just in case they do and not standing a chance, is (potentially) 2 points.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
At the moment the gap is 10 points. I know that we've played one game more than they have until tonight but to me that's not sufficient to declare the title race over after the first round of fixtures in January. Okay we'll have to play that game of 'if we're brilliant all the time and they drop points all the time....' but I really do think looking at their upcoming fixtures they stand a chance of dropping points somewhere. If we get to the end of February and the gap is reduced from 10 (assuming they lose tonight) to maybe 6 or 7 points, with them still to come to OT then wanting them to pull away now will look premature.

I get not wanting Liverpool to win the title, I don't understand how the difference between a side having a chance of winning it so much that we want the team in front to pull away just in case they do and not standing a chance, is (potentially) 2 points.
Chelsea as title contenders are different to Liverpool as title contenders. The former are far more complete and robust as a unit, whereas Liverpool have a big hole in their GK/defensive positions.

For Chelsea to throw away 10 points, and us to win every game, the ask is far too big. You can conceive of overtaking Liverpool/City even Arsenal because these teams have holes in them in one form or another. Chelsea are just very efficient. Granted a couple of Chelsea's win are less than convincing but all in all they are more complete as a unit and no European distraction.

Of course this can conceivably change if they go on a wobbly run/have injuries to key players, but I think its quite unlikely. I'd happily take top 3 and a Cup run if it were offered right now tbh. The gap is too far to suggest anything more bullish than that.

cyberman

I agree with this. There is no way Chelsea can match their points totals from the first half of the season, that would be neigh on a 100 point season.
There will come a bad run of games for them so we should wait and see how they react to adversity rather than wishing the title away so soon

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I want a Spurs win. I still haven't given up on the title. Chelsea loses this and they feel other teams breathing down their neck. Just get them out of their comfortable zone and everything is on.

People are forgetting that it'll take just one bad result to Cheslea for them not looking all dominant.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Chelsea win, also means they stretch their lead over Liverpool.

Why any United fan would want anything else is bizarre!
It's not bizarre. Some of us worry more about us than Liverpool.

All these people going about Chelsea winning is because of Liverpool when people should actually look at ourselves. There is also the fact that some of us still believe in a title challenge especially with half a season to go.

This month or so Chelsea could potentially drop up to 8 points with Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal on the horizon. Lose all those points and everyone is in the title race including us which is what we should be looking for.

Despite Chelsea great run they're vulnerable against top 6 teams. City should have sodomized them but bottled it. Few bad results to Chelsea and the confidence dips a bit then it's game on.

Title aspirations should still be on at this stage of the season. 13 points sounds bad but all it takes is 1 or 2 bad results and things turn around.

Last edited:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I think we have every reason to be optimistic with the run we're on. Chelsea can easily drop points in a few of their next 5 games. We have Liverpool and City in our next 5 which will of course be tough, but if Chelsea drop some points and we win those we're right back in it. It's obviously a bit of a mountain to climb, but I don't think we can just admit defeat at this stage. We're only half way though the season.
Pretty much this.

The defeatist mentality in this place is absurd. As if teams haven't been closing down huge points gap this season alone.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's not bizarre. Some of us worry more about us than Liverpool.

All these people going about Chelsea winning is because of Liverpool when people should actually look at ourselves. There is also the fact that some of us still believe in a title challenge especially with half a season to go.

This month or so Chelsea could potentially drop up to 8 points with Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal on the horizon. Lose all those points and everyone is in the title race including us which is what we should be looking for.

Despite Chelsea great run they're vulnerable against top 6 teams. City should have sodomized then but bottled it. Few bad results to Chelsea and the confidence dips a bit then it's game on.

Title aspirations should still be on at this stage of the season. 13 points sounds bad but all it takes is 1 or 2 bad results and things turn around.
Chelsea vs Chelsea?

Castia

Chelsea win every day of the week. A Spurs win does nothing for us and also might give City that opening they need to catch up, feck that.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
People hoping for a draw or Spurs win? :lol:

This is RAWK levels of delusion by some of you lot. You're not making up 13 points in 19 games & overtaking all 5 teams ahead of you. That's just completely unrealistic.

This would be like Chelsea fans hoping for City to lose after the infamous Gerrard slip game because we still had a minuscule chance of winning the League. Nah, I was cheering Dzeko's goals against Everton like it was a Chelsea player that scored them.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Can't wait for 1 bad Chelsea result so their fans will stop with this cocky attitude. I fancy Spurs to win and certainly hope so.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I want Chelsea to keep winning until we get above Liverpool, Arsenal and City. Will worry about them at that point.

cyberman

People hoping for a draw or Spurs win? :lol:

This is RAWK levels of delusion by some of you lot. You're not making up 13 points in 19 games & overtaking all 5 teams ahead of you. That's just completely unrealistic.

This would be like Chelsea fans hoping for City to lose after the infamous Gerrard slip game because we still had a minuscule chance of winning the League. Nah, I was cheering Dzeko's goals against Everton like it was a Chelsea player that scored them.
It's not 13 points though.
I suddenly want Spurs to win after reading this

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Not to mention 13 points would be hard to make up in leagues like Spain, France, Germany, Italy etc with 2 horses races or maybe 3 dominants teams. Here with 6 teams with genuine chances to drop points against each other 13 points is nothing.

And Chelsea fans better not delude themselves that they're that far better than other top 6 teams and have guarantied wins. Chelsea did well to beat expected fodders to them and had some good results against top 6 teams in the first half of the season but they're likely to drop more points against top 6 teams in the second half than the first. City alone should have mopped them but bottled it.

Let's see how they do in this coming month and a half with at least 3 top 6 teams on the horizon.

Edit: Actually it's 10 points right now with a game in hand.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
It's not 13 points though.
I suddenly want Spurs to win after reading this
Who cares? Even if we lose we're still in a great position to win the League. We weren't going to win the rest of the way obviously. Points are going to be dropped by every team.

And it was 13 points before yesterday after the 1st half of the season (19 games)

cyberman

Who cares? Even if we lose we're still in a great position to win the League. We weren't going to win the rest of the way obviously. Points are going to be dropped by every team.

And it was 13 points before yesterday after the 1st half of the season (19 games)
Right now we have to make up 10, not 13.
I don't think we will catch you but if Spurs do beat you tomorrow and it stays at 10 then that's a huge difference. For us to complete the miracle then the game at OT has to be a win for us which means we have to make up 7 points elsewhere in 17 games. Which doesn't sound that ridiculous.
Not ridiculous enough for you to be so flippant about it

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Not to mention 13 points would be hard to make up in leagues like Spain, France, Germany, Italy etc with 2 horses races or maybe 3 dominants teams. Here with 6 teams with genuine chances to drop points against each other 13 points is nothing.

And Chelsea fans better not delude themselves that they're that far better than other top 6 teams and have guarantied wins. Chelsea did well to beat expected fodders to them and had some good results against top 6 teams in the first half of the season but they're likely to drop more points against top 6 teams in the second half than the first. City alone should have mopped them but bottled it.

Let's see how they do in this coming month and a half with at least 3 top 6 teams on the horizon.

Edit: Actually it's 10 points right now with a game in hand.
So all 13 wins were against fodder?

1-3 vs Manchester City
2-1 vs Tottenham
4-0 vs Manchester United
5-0 vs Everton
1-0 vs West Brom
4-2 vs Bournemouth
0-2 vs Southampton

Again, we don't have to win every game so I don't understand why people keep mentioning how tough our upcoming games are. Points will definitely be dropped by us, just like with everyone else.