Training camp in Malta

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
The United Academy team flew out to Malta after the 2-2 draw with Wolves on Saturday for a training camp.

The team expects to stay on the Mediterranean island for a week given that there is a blank fixture next weekend.

Apparently the Reds have lined up a friendly game with Hibernians of Malta on Thursday.

Hibernians have previous history with United as we played them in the opening round of the 1967/68 European Cup going on to lift the trophy.

Match Advertisement

http://www.hiberniansfc.org/Images/Features/features_002.jpg

MUSC Malta Welcome

Manchester United Supporters Club Malta - Man Utd Academy Visit

MUSC Malta - Team Arrival

Manchester United Supporters Club Malta - Man Utd Academy Lands in Malta today

Looks like a full week for the lads.

cj_sparky

Couple of lads I have never heard of going on the trip.

An info on Joseph Coll, Thomas Lawrence and Benjamin Pearson.

PS18

Lawrence and Pearson are U16s I've heard of (albeit with no real info on them), Coll's a new name I've not seen mentioned before.

SecondFig

Some photos of the training I stole off facebook here:

Training

Fornasier, random bint & Petrucci

Ajose

Petrucci and someone who looks very Italian.

And finally, who the hell is he? Apparently he's 14 and tiny - I'm guessing he has some talent as it looks like he's training with players a lot older and bigger than him.

lysglimt

Scout
Some guy I exchange a bit of info with says that Joseph Coll is an irish under 16 international goalkeeper - and probably on trial from a club called Glenea Utd

Tom Lawrence is a welsh U16 international born in 94 and been at the club since 06

Ben Pearson is another striker born in 94 and been with the club at least 3 years.

PS18

Is that Cofie in the background of the last pic? One of the links above said he wasn't travelling due to illness but it looks like him.

Looks like Brady next to Fornasier in the third pic too (although might be Giverin?).

datura

Is that Cofie in the background of the last pic? One of the links above said he wasn't travelling due to illness but it looks like him.

Looks like Brady next to Fornasier in the third pic too (although might be Giverin?).
It could be Blackett maybe? I thought it was Giverin, looks to slim to be Brady.

PS18

Think you're right actually, looks very much like Blackett. Might be a slightly wrong squad list then - think Luke Hendrie might be there as well (just to the right of Paul McG in the first pic)?

Thing that made me think it might be Brady is that he's not got socks or boots on, just some trainers next to him, which would make sense if his ankle's sore/swollen. He's not got a bib on like Giverin has in the other pics too.

jb8521

Think you're right actually, looks very much like Blackett. Might be a slightly wrong squad list then - think Luke Hendrie might be there as well (just to the right of Paul McG in the first pic)?

Thing that made me think it might be Brady is that he's not got socks or boots on, just some trainers next to him, which would make sense if his ankle's sore/swollen. He's not got a bib on like Giverin has in the other pics too.
Yeah its Blackett, Hendrie and Brady

MPTutd

And finally, who the hell is he? Apparently he's 14 and tiny - I'm guessing he has some talent as it looks like he's training with players a lot older and bigger than him.
Teacher: "So what did you all do during half-term"

Pupil: "I went to a Man Utd training camp in Malta"

Lucky kid.

Mr. MUJAC

seems like he is.
Nicked from fb as well.

Any info on the match they played? Seen from the pics:

Good to see Petrucci in action once again.
Looks like the starting line-up before the game...

Devlin, Massacci, Fornasier, McGinty, Tunnicliffe, Ajose, Petrucci, Pogba......cant make the other three out

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
From what devilish said I believe they won 3-1, with Hibs scoring right at the end. Don't know the scorers.
Manchester United's Academy squad concluded its training camp in Malta with a friendly match against a Hibs youth selection at Corradino yesterday evening. The English side, led by coach Paul McGuinness, spent four days in Malta where they had regular training sessions at the Hibs Ground to fine-tune their preparations for their forthcoming commitments this season. United won the match 3-1 with their goals coming from Nicky Ajose, Ryan Tunnicliffe and Tom Lawrence. Hibs goal was scored by Bjorn Kristensen.

jb8521

Looks like the starting line-up before the game...

Devlin, Massacci, Fornasier, McGinty, Tunnicliffe, Ajose, Petrucci, Pogba......cant make the other three out
Fryers, Cole, Tunnicliffe I think

PS18

Pogba, Devlin, Tunnicliffe, Fornasier (or maybe Wootton), Fryers, McGinty, Massacci, someone completely obscured, Petrucci (all back row), Cole, Ajose (front row) I'd guess.

Although someone on manutdtalk who went to the game said that Fornasier sat the game out due to injury, so I'd imagine it's Wootton. She also says the goals were from Pogba and Michael Keane (2), which is a bit confusing!

datura

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
http://www.hiberniansfc.org/Images\Photos_News\ManUtdTrainingCamp03.JPG

1. Conor Devlin
2. Alberto Massacci
3. Zeki Fryers
4. Scott Wootton
5. Sean McGinty
6. Ryan Tunnicliffe
7. Larnell Cole
8. Paul Pogba
9. Nicky Ajose
10. Davide Petrucci
11. Robbie Brady (c)

Not sure on subs yet (or confirmed goalscorers).
I posted this yesterday..

Manchester United's Academy squad concluded its training camp in Malta with a friendly match against a Hibs youth selection at Corradino yesterday evening. The English side, led by coach Paul McGuinness, spent four days in Malta where they had regular training sessions at the Hibs Ground to fine-tune their preparations for their forthcoming commitments this season. United won the match 3-1 with their goals coming from Nicky Ajose, Ryan Tunnicliffe and Tom Lawrence. Hibs goal was scored by Bjorn Kristensen.

PS18

Yeah, but like I said above, someone who was at the game posted on manutdtalk that the goals came from Pogba and Mike Keane x2, hence the confusion.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Yeah, but like I said above, someone who was at the game posted on manutdtalk that the goals came from Pogba and Mike Keane x2, hence the confusion.
This is from a newspaper from Malta..

PS18

I'd debate whether a Maltese paper is more likely to know who is who in the United U18 squad than a fan who had spent the whole week hanging around with the squad, watching them train and who clearly knows all their names...

jb8521

I'd debate whether a Maltese paper is more likely to know who is who in the United U18 squad than a fan who had spent the whole week hanging around with the squad, watching them train and who clearly knows all their names...
I doubt Mike Keane scored twice considering he rarely gets near the box and neither he or Pogba look to be involved in the goal celebration photo above.

PS18

I thought it was surprising too, but the girl in question had her photo taken with all these players and knows their names so who knows. Not like it's easy to confuse Pogba for someone else :D

Mr. MUJAC

Just looked at the MUSC Malta site and they list the following line-up's....

1. Devlin
2. Massacci
3. Fryers
4. Wootton
5. McGinty
6. Tunnicliffe
7. Cole
8. Pogba
9. Ajose
10. Petrucci
11. Brady (capt)

12. Lingard
13. Coll (1)
14. Pearson
15. Lawrence
16. Hendrie
17. M. Keane
18. Blackett
19. Giverin

Scorers: Ajose (1), Tunnicliffe (75), Lawrence (85)

Michele Fornasier travelled with the team but picked up a knock and didn't play. All the substitutes came on at some point in the second half. Brady picked up another knock.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
See the above post :p