2007 - Fernando Torres
2006 - Mahmadou Diarra
2005 - Michael Ballack
2004 - Michael Essien
2003 - Ronaldinho
....... - Joaquin
2002 - Djibril Cisse
2001 - Philippe Mexes

Right. Each season, the speculators extrodinaire of who Man Utd should sign for the forthcoming season (thereby letting us know who wouldn't be surely arriving) sees a top entrant.

This said target evolves from being an unknown face, to a Youtube hero, a off-hand rumour, highlight-reel from one of those weekend-football-roundup shows, a one-off performer in a game which many saw on a slow UEFA Cup/Europa League Thursday, a mention in Sunday papers, simultaneous speculations after Ferguson lists the player as "one of the many good players in their side" during a pre-season friendly, an unequivocal judgement from the fans following said friendly, and finally...a unanimous call & a call-to-action over two transfer windows.

I just want the old horses of this forum who have remained relatively on the sidelines of speculation to remember names of these talents of yore, to take a trip down memory-lane and recollect these players.

For instance, this season, the vote goes to Yohan Gourcuff of Bordeaux. Last season, I think it was Karim Benzema. I would like to maintain a list of these top players, just for record-keeping purposes.

So, I really can't think before 2007 as to who this chief desirable was among the speculators and ask for help (Was it Torres in 2007?). Here's a list (which shall be edited in future):

To list who your recollection of a chief candidate for a given year, please follow the following format:
<Year> - <Transfer Target>
Template (just remove the spacing before the "b"):
[ b]200 [/ b] -

Myxomatosis

United fan? My arse. WUM masquerades
2003 - Ronaldinho, but that almost happened and I really wish it did.

Scoreboard Red

2010 - Yohan Gourcuff
2009 - Karim Benzema
2008 - Dimitar Berbatov
2007 - Owen Hargreaves/Carlos Tevez
2006 - Michael Ballack/Fernando Torres
2005 - Michael Essien
2004 - Arjen Robben
2003 - Ronaldinho
2002 - Rio Ferdinand
2001 - Juan Sebastien Veron

Salvation

Damnation

Scoreboard Red

Don't think Tevez was as desired as the rest of the mentioned players. In fact if I recall correctly, he was offered around Europe the year before and we rejected him
He was desired by United, he was courted by Ferguson from February onwards in the 2006/07 season and signed very early in the summer.
Hargreaves was wanted by United for a good eighteen months or so before signing.

beardsleybob

He was desired by United, he was courted by Ferguson from February onwards in the 2006/07 season and signed very early in the summer.
Hargreaves was wanted by United for a good eighteen months or so before signing.
I'm not questioning how much Hargo was wanted. But if there was one player for the 2007 spot, it would be Hargreaves

Salvation

Damnation
2010 - Yohan Gourcuff
2009 - Karim Benzema
2008 - Dimitar Berbatov
2007 - Owen Hargreaves/Carlos Tevez
2006 - Michael Ballack/Fernando Torres
2005 - Michael Essien
2004 - Arjen Robben
2003 - Ronaldinho
2002 - Rio Ferdinand
2001 - Juan Sebastien Veron
Ballack was definitely the prime candidate to emerge out circa 2005.

Hargreaves was never really up there, whetting appetites, I don't think.

Scoreboard Red

Ballack was definitely the prime candidate to emerge out circa 2005.

Hargreaves was never really up there, whetting appetites, I don't think.
I definitely remember that in 2006, my toss-bank was full of Ballack, Torres, Tevez and Hargreaves.
I remember a lot of England fans booing Hargreaves a lot also, mainly Cockney and South Coast numpts who had it in for him because he played for a German club perhaps?

Scoreboard Red

Are we talking about actual realistic United targets here or Transfer Numpty targets?
In that case, you can add Aaron Lennon, Kevin Nolan and Nigel Reo-Coker down for our top targets for 2006.
I can seriously and honestly say I am glad the transfer activity for United is not say-so'd by the gimps on Redcafe.net....

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I'm terrible with years but Ronaldinho was definitely one. So was either Mahmadou Diarra or Gattuso when Keano was fading, probably more so than Essien. Berbatov was definitely an obsession.

Others:

People spent the whole year after getting Ronaldo saying we should have got Quaresma... Then there was Ballack's year before being a free agent.

hungrywing

Maybe do something about the thread title. It reads like ScholesClass tried to distill all of Torn Rubber's musings per season. I actually had to check the thread-starter.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Bollocks was Hargreaves wanted by us, otherwise we'd have snapped him up for chicken feed much earlier. We got shafted in that deal by virtue of two decent WC games.

The medical department were also clearly asleep that day.

sajeev

Maybe do something about the thread title. It reads like ScholesClass tried to distill all of Torn Rubber's musings per season. I actually had to check the thread-starter.
look the same to me too.

I thought 2008 was the year of Berbatov. When he was the chief target.

Anyways just goes to show that inorganic browth doesn't always pay off