g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Transfer Muppet Draft 1st Semi Final - MJJ vs Annahnomoss

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MJJ

Caveat: No idea right now who plays where and/or who is available draft wise apart from the cutoff date.

Vidal.

Team him up with Keano. People love him. And he's genuinely bloody good in the role of an allround midfielder - with some of the perceived qualities Fabregas is missing.

Modric.

He would answer the demands for more playmaker qualities in your Keano sidekick.
Vidal is a pretty good shout, thanks.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Vidal by @Chesterlestreet is a really good shout actually. Yaya Toure is another option. Vieira again another.

Your strength is down the wings and your fantastic from two. What you really need is power in midfield IMO.
Keano and Vieira? Now that is funky. It's positively naughty, actually. I'd vote for that just...because.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Keano and Viera? Now that is funky. It's positively naughty, actually. I'd vote for that just...because.
It's mouth wateringly powerful. Can you imagine a rampaging counter attack with Keano Vieira Ronaldo Rooney Henry and Giggs? Mother feck me.

But despite that I genuinely think they would make a great pair. Keane compensates Vieiras deficiencies going forward and Vieira provides as much cover as Keane if Keane goes forward. Without losing any of the power!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It ain't over till Brendan Rodger's wife sings. Plenty of regulars haven't voted yet - and there's miles to go before we sleep.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's mouth wateringly powerful. Can you imagine a rampaging counter attack with Keano Vieira Ronaldo Rooney Henry and Giggs? Mother feck me.

But despite that I genuinely think they would make a great pair. Keane compensates Vieiras deficiencies going forward and Vieira provides as much cover as Keane if Keane goes forward. Without losing any of the power!
It would be immense. It really would. Look at that fairly stupid documentary - where they did their "best XI" thing. Keano: nuts, prejudiced, determined, won't die even if he's pronounced dead. Vieira: controlled, never about to take half an ounce of bollocks from anyone, including Keano, capable of commanding Keano's respect. Both: great footballers. The combination: Immense.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
7 :lol:

Still more than 12 hours to go. I am sure Balu would vote for Annah as well as would anto.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
:lol: How have we missed that. All those comebacks were a result of Saf going all out, thrwoing bodies forward, making bold subs and making the opposition shit their pants.

I guess I am one of the few who doesn't really have any preference in terms of style of football when it comes to being entertaining. Possession, counters attacking, wing play, whatever. As long as it's technically good and attacking, it's entertaining. But these days there's a trend of picking one over another for some reason. There's even a thread saying counter attacking vs tiki taka, I will never understand something like that.
There isn't, or there didn't use to be, a more awesome sight in football than United chasing a game.

Biased much? :wenger:

antohan

I've gone for Annah. Think folk are too easily dismissing how successful Spain and Barca were at their best. My only criticism of Annah is that he could do with the plan B that Guardiola had in 2008/09 - the pace and directness of Eto'o and Henry.
Aye, I told him to get Henry but it meant playing Ramos or Capdevila :nervous:

antohan

Ramos would've been a price worth paying to have Henry ripping up the inside-left channel.
Far better proposition than Silva and Iniesta down the left, all too similar for me that.

antohan

Work a peak Henry work on the left in Barca 10/11? He would be wasted IMO.
Depends whether you prefer someone who emphasises the theme and possession football (Silva) or someone who will just say feck it and do something completely different. I don't mind having one player doing that myself. If it upsets the central trios ball-hogging designs they just stop giving it to him. But he sure would be a good Plan B.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Work a peak Henry work on the left in Barca 10/11? He would be wasted IMO.
Nah he wouldn't need to hug the touchline, he'd have a field day bursting through receiving balls inbetween the full-back and centre-half from Messi, Iniesta and Xavi. Think how good Pedro was in 2009/10 and soup it up a couple of levels.

Malva

there are no losers in this match up, but I just can't see anyway past a prime messi-xavi-iniesta-busquets, especially against a midfield two with fabregas.

what harms said about alves is pretty true in my opinion, but that's just a dynamic. the prescence of david silva already changes the tempo from width and penetration, to build up, and probing more like spain, but with a genius like messi free to look for chances and finish.

Ronaldo on the right, unless it's 06/07 Ronaldo, is just a counter attack demon. putting him on the right makes him a lot more limited too imo. Also, Abidal was very very fast at his prime, and a great defender, that match up is pretty secure for anahh imo.

Thiago silva is the perfect, and ultimate ideal of a barca defender too imo. Fabio cannavaro is a killer that shut down henry in the world cup.

zanetti was probably the best right back in the last few decades.. that's the real question here, but I don't think he'll be involved enough. the key is just that midfield which will dominate for anahh imo.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I've voted for anahmoss.

there are no losers in this match up, but I just can't see anyway past a prime messi-xavi-iniesta-busquets, especially against a midfield two with fabregas.

what harms said about alves is pretty true in my opinion, but that's just a dynamic. the prescence of david silva already changes the tempo from width and penetration, to build up, and probing more like spain, but with a genius like messi free to look for chances and finish.

Ronaldo on the right, unless it's 06/07 Ronaldo, is just a counter attack demon. putting him on the right makes him a lot more limited too imo. Also, Abidal was very very fast at his prime, and a great defender, that match up is pretty secure for anahh imo.

Thiago silva is the perfect, and ultimate ideal of a barca defender too imo. Fabio cannavaro is a killer that shut down henry in the world cup.

zanetti was probably the best right back in the last few decades.. that's the real question here, but I don't think he'll be involved enough. the key is just that midfield which will dominate for anahh imo.
If you ask me - yes. And not much has been made of him in this match.

One of those players who, at the very highest level, hardly ever put a foot wrong. If what we're going for is to upgrade a Fergie back four - then, sorry Gaz, you have been well and truly replaced.

antohan

I agree on Thiago, suits this setup much better than Rio and the sort of player that has Barca written all over him. I don't think he should have got Cannavaro though. Thiago-Puyol would be a better fit IMO.

crappycraperson

Scout
I disagree on Zanetti, his ability to play in MF means he can easily join the battle there if needed. Keano won't need help against Iniesta in any case. And I still struggle to see what will Silva offer on the left with Iniesta already hogging that space. He will just be there to recieve a pass and give it back.

crappycraperson

Scout
I agree on Thiago, suits this setup much better than Rio and the sort of player that has Barca written all over him. I don't think he should have got Cannavaro though. Thiago-Puyol would be a better fit IMO.
Can Cannavaro play such a high line?

MJJ

I disagree on Zanetti, his ability to play in MF means he can easily join the battle there if needed. Keano won't need help against Iniesta in any case. And I still struggle to see what will Silva offer on the left with Iniesta already hogging that space. He will just be there to recieve a pass and give it back.
He is a barca fan.

crappycraperson

Scout
Nah he wouldn't need to hug the touchline, he'd have a field day bursting through receiving balls inbetween the full-back and centre-half from Messi, Iniesta and Xavi. Think how good Pedro was in 2009/10 and soup it up a couple of levels.
Henry never did well with those through balls from Zidane in French set up, did he? And he had much more space then that he would in a Barca set up.

What were the strengths of peak Henry? Arsenal at that time were known for their lightning quick counter attacks. The build up from the back to the front took second and they had scored in a flash. Henry alone was capable of running with the ball, getting past 3-4 defenders and scoring. He showed late on that he could dribble past people in close spaces but that was not his strength. At his best he was much more direct player and Arsenal as a side declined when they turned into pass the ball into the net side.

He will be an asset to the set up, much more so than Silva but it be wrong to assume that you will see his best there.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Henry never did well with those through balls from Zidane in French set up, did he? And he had much more space then that he would in a Barca set up.

What were the strengths of peak Henry? Arsenal at that time were known for their lightning quick counter attacks. The build up from the back to the front took second and they had scored in a flash. Henry alone was capable of running with the ball, getting past 3-4 defenders and scoring. He showed late on that he could dribble past people in close spaces but that was not his strength. At his best he was much more direct player and Arsenal as a side declined when they turned into pass the ball into the net side.

He will be an asset to the set up, much more so than Silva but it be wrong to assume that you will see his best there.
Inevitably you won't see his best because he has to play second fiddle to Messi in this set-up, but he'll offer more goal threat than Silva and Muller combined. He was well past his best when he scored 26 goals primarily from the left flank in '08/09 in the very same set-up.

crappycraperson

Scout
Inevitably you won't see his best because he has to play second fiddle to Messi in this set-up, but he'll offer more goal threat than Silva and Muller combined. He was well past his best when he scored 26 goals primarily from the left flank in '08/09 in the very same set-up.
He will be better than Silva for sure, I grant you that. I just think it is a waste to have a player like Henry in your team and not have him in his best role. Better off with Villa who did well for both Barca and Spain while cutting in from the left and is more comfortable with the entire set up.

antohan

He will be better than Silva for sure, I grant you that. I just think it is a waste to have a player like Henry in your team and not have him in his best role. Better off with Villa who did well for both Barca and Spain while cutting in from the left and is more comfortable with the entire set up.
Villa being more familiar with the tiki-taka setup is a fair point. And no, it wouldn't be the best jaw-dropping Henry we saw at Arsenal. I'd fancy Henry there but I guess it is fair to say he would have nothing on Villa in this team.