g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Transfer Muppet Draft FINAL - MJJ vs Annahnomoss

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
The aim of this poll is to decide the winner in this fantasy game contested between two sides assembled through the method of drafting. For the purpose of this game, all players would be considered as being at their respective peaks. I invite all posters to go through the formations, tactics and arguments that will follow in the thread and kindly leave their vote. Thanks.

MJJ's Tactics
Tactics

4-3-3.

The dream partnership of Messi, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho. Three players with legitimate claims of being amongst the greatest footballers of all time. Messi and Ronaldo are two of the deadliest finishers the world have ever seen and with ronaldinho supplying them goals are ensured. The only way most teams managed to stop them was by either double/triple teaming them or cutting off the supply to them. Both of these options are not available to team annah as if he double teams one of them the others will wreak havoc and my midfield wont allow him to cut off the supply.

Behind them, I have the legendary united partnership of Keane and Scholes, with makelele anchoring his defense. You couldnt ask for a better all round midfield to protect the defense and create opportunities for the forwards.

In defense, I have ashley cole and zanetti. Two of the best fullbacks of the past two decades and absolute beasts defensively, partnering nesta and stam.

Scholes, Messi, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho will always create chances and score goals against any opposition. The latter three can create a goal out of nothing while Scholes and Ronaldinho can do the same with their passing. So it becomes a matter of if my defense can give a platform for them to win the game by protecting the lead.

Keane-Makelele
Cole-Stam-Nesta-Zanetti

Imagine those six in their prime and think of a team that will consistently score or create goals against them.

Annah's team

Annah has rivaldo playing LW while under Van Gaal, a role rivaldo hated and Van Gaal regularly used to shout at him to stick to his position and not roam. This means ronaldo will be alone against roberto carlos, a match made in heaven for me.

In midfield, he has davids, seedorf and zidane. My midfield of keane, scholes and makelele will allow me to exert more control of the match. Makelele negating zidane, while the other two control the middle.

I also have more tactical options on the bench in the form of giggs, Rooney and Henry. Can easily change to a more attacking formation if the circumstances demand it, the same cant be said about annah. if he is losing all he can do is take more risks which plays right into my hands.

TEAM MJJ

TEAM ANNAHNOMOSS

Annahnomoss' Tactics
Formation 4-2-3-1
Juventus/Real Madrid/Brazil 02
Tactics
Under van Gaal Rivaldo reached his second and third highest goal tallies in his career as a left-winger required to work hard in the defense as well.

Here he will have the same defensive duties but complete freedom in attack together with his Barcelona team-mate Luis Figo.

Zidane, Seedorf and Davids will be a number too big for Scholes-Keane-Makelele. Seedorf and Davids are the most energetic and mobile midfielders on the pitch.

Roberto Carlos and Rivaldo played together on the left side plenty in their career - in a 4-4-2 in 1998. Cafu and Figo form a defensively rock solid and offensively threatening right side.

Ferdinand and Thuram are both incredibly fast and complete centre backs.

The team is equally adept at attacking on the counter as against an organized defense. With four of the best dribblers of the last 20 years up front my opponent won't be able to keep them from creating chances and there is no better striker to have inside the box than Ronaldo.

Davids and Seedorf grew up in the Ajax academy and played countless of hours together for the NT side and the legendary Ajax side. Both of them are capable of covering for Carlos or Cafu as they are comfortable defending out wide thanks to their experience as left/right midfielders.

Davids went to Juventus to play with Zidane and Thuram in this team. Seedorf went to Real Madrid to play with Zidane and Figo. Ronaldo up front played with Zidane, Figo, Rivaldo, Carlos and Cafu.

Last edited:

Annahnomoss

How will the wide defense of Zanetti-Ronaldo and Cole-Ronaldinho handle the proven Rivaldo-Carlos partnership which wrecked havoc for Brazil or Cafu and Figo who are the best balanced side one can wish for as they are both equally great offensively as defensively.

In my team Davids has experience as a LM and can defend out wide fully comfortable and Seedorf has experience as a RM and can do the same meaning my defense is comfortable against any situations.

The highly energetic Davids and Seedorf with Thuram and Ferdinand who are as fast as centre backs can be will make it difficult for any offense against them.

Seedorf and Davids are a better defensive box-to-box pairing than Keane-Scholes and I prefer Zidane who is one of the all-time greats of the era as the third part of the midfield over Makelele.

MJJ

How will the wide defense of Zanetti-Ronaldo and Cole-Ronaldinho handle the proven Rivaldo-Carlos partnership which wrecked havoc for Brazil or Cafu and Figo who are the best balanced side one can wish for as they are both equally great offensively as defensively.

In my team Davids has experience as a LM and can defend out wide fully comfortable and Seedorf has experience as a RM and can do the same meaning my defense is comfortable against any situations.

The highly energetic Davids and Seedorf with Thuram and Ferdinand who are as fast as centre backs can be will make it difficult for any offense against them.

Seedorf and Davids are a better defensive box-to-box pairing than Keane-Scholes and I prefer Zidane who is one of the all-time greats of the era as the third part of the midfield over Makelele.
The same rivaldo for whom Van Gaal used to stop training sessions and shout at him because he wasnt sticking to his position? Fact is roberto carlos is going to be isolated against ronaldo and thats a match up you wont win.

If both figo and cafu are attacking, then all I need is for scholes to ping one pass out to ronaldinho who is free on the wing instant chance there. Zanetti is one of the best fullbacks the world has ever seen, giggs described him as the toughest opponent(fullback?) he has ever faced and he can hold his own against figo.

:lol: If one of davids/seedorf moves out wide, that means you have only one midfielder in the middle unless you want zidane to drop deeper and deeper which plays into my hand. Keane-Makelele is as strong a midfield pair as you can get defensively and I have scholes there to not only pass from the deep but get into the box and score goals. And talking defensively, compare davids and seedorf to keane and makelele. Keane is a better box to box than seedorf and makelele a better ball winner than davids.

Seedorf is a box to box midfielder, which means there will be space available around the 30 yard box for a scholes classic when your midfielders go out wide or seedorf supports the attack.

Annahnomoss

If the case is that Ronaldinho is behind Cafu/Carlos then I am constantly attacking with Cafu and Figo versus just Cole which is a real mismatch. On the other side Carlos will be attacking with Rivaldo against a lonely Zanetti then which is a number too big even for him.

MJJ

If the case is that Ronaldinho is behind Cafu/Carlos then I am constantly attacking with Cafu and Figo versus just Cole which is a real mismatch. On the other side Carlos will be attacking with Rivaldo against a lonely Zanetti then which is a number too big even for him.
You are forgetting I have keane and makelele to cover but lets consider this scenario. You are constantly attacking with cafu and figo, what happens if one of those attacks breaks down and I have the ball? Lets see, a long ball out to ronaldo who is free to run into space? Yeah, I will take that.

On the otherside, you will be attacking with carlos(rivaldo is going to drift inside where he has makelele waiting for him) and again what happens if the attack breaks down? A long ball out to ronaldinho who is free to run into space? Yeah, I will take that.

Lets not forget in messi,ronaldo and ronaldinho I have three of the best dribblers the world has ever seen, even better than yours. As you kindly pointed out in the OP, it will be next to impossible to stop them from scoring with only one DM and an attacking LB.

Annahnomoss

I consider Ronaldo and Rivaldo as good as Messi and Ronaldinho and Figo was a better dribbler than Cristiano.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I've voted for MJJ. Its basically became a shoot-out of big attacking names at this point and his attack has more goals in them.

I do feel the delays have killed the interest in this, along with too many reinforcements being allowed in the later rounds. Lessons learned for next time.

Moby

Dick
I've voted for MJJ. Its basically became a shoot-out of big attacking names at this point and his attack has more goals in them.

I do feel the delays have killed the interest in this, along with too many reinforcements being allowed in the later rounds. Lessons learned for next time.
Well it's something we don't usually see as the reinforcements are limited, to usually 2 per round, in other drafts. Too many reinforcements are simply wrong, as we also saw in the WC all time draft where we could add 4 players just after clearing the first round. The purpose of reinforcements is to strengthen a couple of weak areas you have, not completely change the team. The teams that ended here look nothing like what they started as and the whole auction stage meant just for clearing the first round.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I've fell out of love with MJJ's side. Had a wonderful premiership themed 4-4-2 going on, and now it seems just about cramming as many superstars on the field as possible. No idea what Makelele is doing there whatsoever.

Going for Annah.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'm not a fan of too many reinforcements, it defeats the purpose of a carefully drafted team and many of them lose their identity. Don't think there should be opportunity for more than 3-4 additions during the course of the competition.

Moby

Dick
I'm not a fan of too many reinforcements, it defeats the purpose of a carefully drafted team and many of them lose their identity. Don't think there should be opportunity for more than 3-4 additions during the course of the competition.
Agreed!

VivaJanuzaj

Same here @Gio .. Never understood them. The most I think that makes sense is maybe one round of reinforcements to negate the lead from picking first..

I've fell out of love with MJJ's side. Had a wonderful premiership themed 4-4-2 going on, and now it seems just about cramming as many superstars on the field as possible. No idea what Makelele is doing there whatsoever.

Going for Annah.
Perfectly agree. Why not play Giggs on the wing to make your winged play a little more balanced?

Play

Keane Scholes
Ronaldo Ronaldinho(or someone else) Giggs
Henry

If you keep Giggs on the wing, you have one wing with a winger who doesn't track back much, and one which does, and Ronaldo-Ronaldinho-Giggs is superb because you can just imagine them rocking around switching wings constantly.

@MJJ you said so yourself, you want a younger version of Scholes, and that version excelled in a two men midfield with Keano.

Annahnomoss

Same here @Gio .. Never understood them. The most I think that makes sense is maybe one round of reinforcements to negate the lead from picking first..

Perfectly agree. Why not play Giggs on the wing to make your winged play a little more balanced?

Play

Keane Scholes
Ronaldo Ronaldinho(or someone else) Giggs
Henry

If you keep Giggs on the wing, you have one wing with a winger who doesn't track back much, and one which does, and Ronaldo-Ronaldinho-Giggs is superb because you can just imagine them rocking around switching wings constantly.

@MJJ you said so yourself, you want a younger version of Scholes, and that version excelled in a two men midfield with Keano.
I agree. I think the difference in this match-up is that Rivaldo under van Gaal had his best period in his career between 97-00 bar his great WC 02. He peaked as a goal-scorer from the left wing role where he actually had defensive positioning to handle. On the other side Figo is up there with Beckham as maybe the best wide midfielder defensively.

My team has a better balance to it, especially considering how offensive Scholes and Keane pushed as a box to box pairing. There is no way they are going to stay behind and watch the offensive trio do their job - instead Scholes and Keane will bomb forward as well covered by Seedorf/Davids - which leaves Zidane in a 1 vs 1 against Makelele as in my eyes the most important match-up on the pitch here.

There is no way Makelele can constrain Zidane in a 1 vs 1 with so much space and with Rivaldo, Figo and Ronaldo around him.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I dont understand why anyone would question makelele. One of the best modern dm/destroyer. If there is anyone who can stop zidane in a 1v1 its him. If you disagree with that, Messi/Ronaldinho/Dino are equally unplayable in 1v1 situations. Messi is actually a better dribbler.

For me the match comes down to the question if Annah can capitalize on his very offensive fullbacks. All of his players are dynamic, can win 1v1s, finish and are also good/exceptional passer. That alone might not be enough against MJJ´s great defense, but he could create situations, where he outnumbers him. Cafu/carlos providing width + Zidane leaving the center to overload a side, trying to draw Makelele out of position, who always preferred to stay in the center. His players will naturally move a lot, while they also have the eye for the right pass at the right time. Its just very hard against to defend against so many different threats.
The downside is, that this is very risky; it opens up space that Messi/Ronaldo/Dino could use easily. every lost ball/mistake can initiate a devastating counter.
Its a ride on the razor´s edge.

Imo is MJJs team a bit more flexible. He can park the bus or control the game. Annah´s team will only show their best, when they play very offensive.

Except the goalkeepers, both teams are amazing and its hard to decide. Flexibilty + Nesta persuade me to vote for MJJ, but its very close.

BibekDas

Can you keep attacking with Rivaldo and Cafu when you got Ronaldo's off the ball runs and pace and trickery to deal with? There is two ways to look at it,you can say Ronaldo won't defend and you can double team Zanetti or that Ronaldo's attacking threat will pin Cafu down. With Makalele there and Keane one can move to support the flank you attack and the other will deal with Zidane's off the ball movement, Scholes wasn't a good tackler but he was no floater,he did his fair bit in defense with good positioning. Seedorf won't be able to go box to box either, as Messi Ronaldinho and Ronaldo all three will move into that attacking third zone in the center. The only weakness of MJJ I see is if you manage to somehow mark Scholes out(a damn tough job) his entire mid and defense will struggle to connect with that deadly front 3 trio. That's probably your only bet. He has tactical and individual advantage over you, as he can change it up mid game quite easily,he has players to deal with sessions of pressure from you by dropping deep,in that case you will find his team very hard to break down also the fact you will hesitate to commit too many forward with the counter attacking potential he has its gonna be tough. If he pushes up you will struggle,Messi,Scholes,Keane and Ronaldindo are brilliant at keeping the ball and your FBs aren't as defensively solid as his

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout

Pretty much this. Too many reinforcements have ruined this a bit. Look at who all Annah has on the bench - Kaka, Sheva, Lahm, Vieira, MJJ has got Giggs and Henry!

Annahnomoss

Pretty much this. Too many reinforcements have ruined this a bit. Look at who all Annah has on the bench - Kaka, Sheva, Lahm, Vieira, MJJ has got Giggs and Henry!
I agree, I think we should keep a 2 player maximum even in the transfer drafts. That way the top players like Messi/Ronaldo won't be given out due to random luck and chance - but rather because one team really needs them.

The same goes for if some team really doesn't need to be first-pick, but then is forced to wait ages for their second pick.

In a transfer draft even with a "Max two reinforcements" the teams who really needs a Messi could get him and the teams who don't want him never risk anything and can choose two balanced players instead.

crappycraperson

Scout
I agree, I think we should keep a 2 player maximum even in the transfer drafts. That way the top players like Messi/Ronaldo won't be given out due to random luck and chance - but rather because one team really needs them.

The same goes for if some team really doesn't need to be first-pick, but then is forced to wait ages for their second pick.

In a transfer draft even with a "Max two reinforcements" the teams who really needs a Messi could get him and the teams who don't want him never risk anything and can choose two balanced players instead.
The minimum bid simply should have been raised for future rounds.

I plan to run an auction draft once WC is over. Will take a break from drafts till then

Annahnomoss

The minimum bid simply should have been raised for future rounds.

I plan to run an auction draft once WC is over. Will take a break from drafts till then
I will happily run a transfer draft after this one unless someone else has one in mind. I was supposed to be running this one but Polaroid ran it on his own in his own way.

My ideas and vision of it was very different from how this turned out to be.

MJJ

Agreed with you there, the price of the reinforcements should really have increased throughout the draft making it harder for teams to sign players.

Going for Annah.
I wanted to stick with the 4-4-2(Scholes instead of fabregas) but I would have lost this match due to scan voters preferring Annah's attack,specially if he had added messi/ronaldinho to that team. I needed to add some star power to combat his team.

The 99 side of united and onwards got dominated in midfield at times and was very gung-ho culminating in that tie with madrid which made SAF change his team plans. Makelele is there to add solidity to the midfield, and allows scholes to go forward at will. Without him, I would have had to play a latter version of scholes or risk being overrun in midfield. That would have resulted in it being a game of who can finish better. Considering I have ronaldinho-messi and ronaldo in attack, I dont really need an AM to support them and am happy playing a 4-3-3 to make my defense solid as well.

@VivaJanuzaj

crappycraperson

Scout
Keane with Scholes circa 99 would have gotten overrun. Keane with Scholes 2006 version is just about right IMO.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
When you have CR, Messi, and Ronaldinho on your side, Makelele is important. Best pure DM I have seen, that people easily forgot, also slotted in very well at the RM galactico era.

And Vieira would be a better partner to Davids, instead of Seedorf, to counter MJJ's attacking force.

Annahnomoss

Seems to be over already, I won't participate more as it isn't my team it is team Theon/Polaroids. Great draft MJJ, deserved winner! I love your team and Makelele is really needed behind Keane-Scholes of 99 as they were better offensively than defensively as they leaked in goals.

Considering that Giggs and Beckham worked their asses of defensively as well, adding a DM behind them here is a necessity to not completely lack balance with such offensively minded wide men.

Outstanding to even think about Keane and Scholes offensively with actual cover from a great destroyer behind them. Usually when Scholes/Keane lost the ball far up the pitch there was a huge hole behind us which is why we conceded to incredibly much in 99.

The front trio is a bit scan-vote'ish but that is the fault of the draft rather than of MJJ in my eyes. Had he let me have Messi and Ronaldinho or just Messi then I would have possibly won the scan-voters over instead. Great job MJJ, hope to see you in the next draft as well.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
MJJ's team has a theme, with people can easily connect to how they'd play.

I think, if Annah's had Ronaldinho, with Rivaldo-Ronaldo upfront, and Carlos-Cafu as fullback, he'd have the Samba theme. Plus Zidane-Vieira-Thuram the France NT. It would be easier for voters to picture how the players would connect, and the team would look more cohessive.

crappycraperson

Scout

I think, if Annah's had Ronaldinho, with Rivaldo-Ronaldo upfront, and Carlos-Cafu as fullback, he'd have the Samba theme. Plus Zidane-Vieira-Thuram the France NT. It would be easier for voters to picture how the players would connect, and the team would look more cohessive.
Brazil 2002 was my theme :lol:

But yeah, he should have gotten Makelele instead of Davids to form the France 06 MF.

Annahnomoss

I think, if Annah's had Ronaldinho, with Rivaldo-Ronaldo upfront, and Carlos-Cafu as fullback, he'd have the Samba theme, and would make it easier for voters to see how the team would work.
What is his theme? Having Scholes-Keane? I like his side but he has no theme going here, he has 4 outfield United players in his team.

Seedorf, Figo, Zidane and Carlos are 4 outfield players of mine from RM. Cafu, Carlos, Ronaldo, Rivaldo are another 4 outfield players of mine from one team - all from Brazil. Davids and Seedorf played together as well, as did Rivaldo and Figo for Barcelona.

Of course neither side has a theme going really, takes more than a couple of players from a certain team to consider it much of a theme that has any meaning. IMO it becomes a theme when the majority of your players played together in the actual tactic you are using rather than because Stam and Cristiano played for United, but at completely different times.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
What is his theme? Having Scholes-Keane? I like his side but he has no theme going here, he has 4 outfield United players in his team.

Seedorf, Figo, Zidane and Carlos are 4 outfield players of mine from RM. Cafu, Carlos, Ronaldo, Rivaldo are another 4 outfield players of mine from one team - all from Brazil. Davids and Seedorf played together as well, as did Rivaldo and Figo for Barcelona.

Of course neither side has a theme going really, takes more than a couple of players from a certain team to consider it much of a theme that has any meaning. IMO it becomes a theme when the majority of your players played together in the actual tactic you are using rather than because Stam and Cristiano played for United, but at completely different times.
His theme is having United best ever players in Stam, Keano-Scholes, and CR. Also, using relatively current players.

MJJ

Seems to be over already, I won't participate more as it isn't my team it is team Theon/Polaroids. Great draft MJJ, deserved winner! I love your team and Makelele is really needed behind Keane-Scholes of 99 as they were better offensively than defensively as they leaked in goals.

Considering that Giggs and Beckham worked their asses of defensively as well, adding a DM behind them here is a necessity to not completely lack balance with such offensively minded wide men.

Outstanding to even think about Keane and Scholes offensively with actual cover from a great destroyer behind them. Usually when Scholes/Keane lost the ball far up the pitch there was a huge hole behind us which is why we conceded to incredibly much in 99.

The front trio is a bit scan-vote'ish but that is the fault of the draft rather than of MJJ in my eyes. Had he let me have Messi and Ronaldinho or just Messi then I would have possibly won the scan-voters over instead. Great job MJJ, hope to see you in the next draft as well.
Thanks Annah.

Henry-Rooney
Giggs-Keane-Fabregas-Ronaldo
Cole-Stam-Nesta-Zanetti

That was my theme in the semi, its clearly a PL theme with a strong focus on counter attacking. Ideally I would have replaced fab. with scholes in this round and rooney with ronaldinho(favourite player of mine). Most of those players have played together.

My front six there played there best football in a counter attacking side, fabregas is very close to scholes so the midfield is basically the best united midfield of the PL era while henry-rooney is similar to henry- bergkamp.

The defense is modelled on the maldini-stam-nesta-cafu backline and the fullbacks are similar enough to do the same job.

Annahnomoss

Thanks Annah.

Henry-Rooney
Giggs-Keane-Fabregas-Ronaldo
Cole-Stam-Nesta-Zanetti

That was my theme in the semi, its clearly a PL theme with a strong focus on counter attacking. Ideally I would have replaced fab. with scholes in this round and rooney with ronaldinho(favourite player of mine). Most of those players have played together.

My front six there played there best football in a counter attacking side, fabregas is very close to scholes so the midfield is basically the best united midfield of the PL era while henry-rooney is similar to henry- bergkamp.

The defense is modelled on the maldini-stam-nesta-cafu backline and the fullbacks are similar enough to do the same job.
You have arranged a great team, but a theme of significance I think are two very different matters. Last round you had a midfield theme with Rooney, Ronaldo, Keane and Giggs rather than a overall theme as nearly every player available in this draft could play in the side but your midfield remained a true United one with great proven partnerships.

Personally I don't consider a "4-2-3-1 theme" an actual theme for example, rather a chosen tactic where near every single player available will be capable of fitting in the team. An all-time EPL theme is not very significant IMO either, more of a fun thing for the manager to make it more difficult for themselves but it won't make the team play better as a whole that 70 years ago player X also played in the same league as player Y.

It becomes of importance when it gets a bit in depth like your midfield in the last round full of proven partnerships and brilliance, or an entire team built around that concept of proven partnerships with slight upgrades in weak areas - or if possible no upgrades at all and only proven players.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I think you need reinforcements, just not too many. The draft part is fun, arguably even more than the games. And slight changes to your team give you something new to talk about in the next round of games. Everyone playing the same team again each round is probably boring.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I think you need reinforcements, just not too many. The draft part is fun, arguably even more than the games. And slight changes to your team give you something new to talk about in the next round of games. Everyone playing the same team again each round is probably boring.
Yep. The reinforcement rounds add a lot of excitement, but I think everyone agrees this was overkill. Anyway, well done MJJ and well played Annah.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

At the same time Annah has a number of proven, well established and successful partnerships. Davids and Seedorf, Davids and Zidane, Rivaldo and Carlos, Carlos and Cafu, Zidane, Figo and Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldo. All of those players dovetailed brilliantly together.

Annahnomoss

On the other hand reinforcement in themselves aren't the buzz-kill it is the fact that the voters benefit whoever picks up as many random superstars as possible. So instead of people trying to assemble real teams which would actually play well together in reality, it ends up with a wank-fest over who has most big names collected in the team. Whoever has more wank-material ends up winning as the voters are the match-winners.

Either limiting the amount of top players one is allowed per team, or having the drafts being decided by a selected bunch of voters instead of any random person, or mixing the two.

Of course limiting the reinforcements is necessary as this one was over the top in that regard too.

Who is running the next draft? I know it was Antohan but then his interest fell off, I would like to run one if nobody else is waiting in turn.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
On the other hand reinforcement in themselves aren't the buzz-kill it is the fact that the voters benefit whoever picks up as many random superstars as possible. So instead of people trying to assemble real teams which would actually play well together in reality, it ends up with a wank-fest over who has most big names collected in the team. Whoever has more wank-material ends up winning as the voters are the match-winners.

Either limiting the amount of top players one is allowed per team, or having the drafts being decided by a selected bunch of voters instead of any random person, or mixing the two.

Of course limiting the reinforcements is necessary as this one was over the top in that regard too.

Who is running the next draft? I know it was Antohan but then his interest fell off, I would like to run one if nobody else is waiting in turn.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/fantasy-tournament-world-cup-2014.380049/
That one still needs to be played. Not sure how many are interested to start the games though. Theon and Fergus haven't been seen in a while, Pol is gone.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
It was a very very even game, I think the last deciding factor was the lack of a Makelele in midfield to curb Messi- Messi at his best needs a very disciplined player to cub him when he attacks from the #10 position...while Davids is excellent, I'm not sure he has the discipline to simply sit on that position all day. Especially since he will be having to help Carlos out against extreme pace (something Carlos didn't like) and also trying to stop Scholes going forward, he has too much on his plate.

And going forward both sides- I think there are just too many ways for Messi, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo (imagine him on the end of a stream of Messi/Ronaldinho through ball) to score given that Scholes will be dictating the tempo from behind them.

I appreciate the many partnerships, and I rate Thuram incredibly high in the other team, but Messi-Ronaldinho and especially Keane-Scholes are very impressive too. Also, DDG >> Lloris :p

The scoreline shouldn't be so skewed though...