Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
This thread is dedicated to Tweets that refer to Manchester United only. For other Tweets, please use one of the other Transfer Tweets threads.

Anyone not following the rules will be warned and eventually permabanned from the thread.

DON'T

• Post a Tweet from a banned source (see below for the banned sources) unless they have held an interview with a player
    • Also, don't post a Tweet from an aggregator that refers to a Tier 4 source or below. The same exception as above applies.
  • Post a non-English Tweet without a basic translation (either from another Tweet or in the post itself). Suggested translators: Google Translate, DeepL, Reverso
  • Post anything from aggregator accounts (e.g. utdreport) without the original source (as a second Tweet, link, embed, image, or a reference to a TV/radio show).
    • Exception: an aggregator's Tweet is retweeted by the source. The Tweet must then be accompanied by a message/screenshot indicating this. Otherwise, the Tweet will not be allowed.
  • Post anything from aggregator accounts who don't refer to the original source and tend to make stuff up for retweets/follows. Example, Proof
  • Post the following types of Tweets (post them in quotes/spoilers to avoid putting them into the feed)
    • Joke/Piss-take Tweets
    • Tweets that don't refer to a transfer story (e.g. a journalist posting their own opinions; example)
    • Tweets that refer to agent changes (without referring to the player's future), team ownership updates, or financial analyses (a transfer budget is enough info)
  • Post more than 3 Tweets per post. We highly encourage only 2 at most.
  • Post a comment referring to a rumour/report without a Tweet (e.g. "I've read multiple reports about United being linked to Haaland. If true...")
  • Post the full article verbatim from a Tweet. Provide a bullet-point summary instead.
  • Post anything that was tweeted more than three days ago. If it wasn't posted before then, nobody cares.
  • Post Tweets that are already in the thread. Check the feed before posting the Tweet.
  • Use the thread to moan (about the Tweets, United's targets, other teams' targets compared to United's, moaners, etc.).
  • Post off-topic comments or hold extended discussions over a single Tweet (that span multiple pages). Create a new thread instead.
Rules of thumb:
  • Article with no author = typically unreliable (exception: journalist websites like gianlucadimarzio.com)
  • If a Tweet gets deleted, then either replace it with another Tweet or delete the post.
  • Treat Fabrizio Romano as both a source and aggregator.
    • If Fabrizio Romano refers to another source, then provide a Tweet, link, etc. from that source.
Aggregators
Aggregators are Twitter accounts that collect news and reports from various media outlets and publish their summaries/key tidbits. They always refer to the source but often do not refer to the original article/news passage. They very rarely, if ever, post their own information; if they do, they prepend their Tweets with an "Exclusive:" or similar. Also, unfortunately, several aggregators (including some very popular ones) tend to alter the original info to either fit the content into a Tweet or sensationalise the original report. This is why it's imperative for everyone to provide the original source when posting anything from an aggregator. Aggregators also do not care about the quality of the source; they often publish Tweets containing info from unreliable sources.

Use the aggregators to either summarise the original source's info or translate the info from a non-English source. Basically, treat an aggregator like Wikipedia: use it to become more aware of what's going on in the football world, but recognise that it is not a reliable source of information.

What Kind of Tweets should I Post?
  • Player transfers, free signings, contract extensions, or releases
    • Also includes young players signing their first professional contract for Manchester United
  • Managerial transfers, signings, contract extensions, or releases
    • Includes U23 and U18 head coaches
    • Includes assistant managers and other coaches
  • Football executive appointments/releases (DoF, CEO/Chairperson, Head of Negotiations, etc.)
  • Transfer plans + any impacts to them
  • Transfer budgets + any impacts to them
The Caf now has its own pair of tier lists (one for United sources, and one for everything else). You can find them and more here. For your convenience, here is the United tier list (as of 11 January 2023):
TierSource (Individual)Source (Media Outlet)
Tier 0 - Official SourcesAny player or staff member's social media accountManchester United (@ManUtd)
Premier League (@PREMIERLEAGUE)
Any other club or league's Twitter account on United transfers
Tier 1 - Best unofficial sources; very rarely wrong; not speculativeDavid Ornstein (@David_Ornstein)
Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano)
Simon Stone (@sistoney67)
Laurie Whitwell (@lauriewhitwell)
Simon Peach (@SimonPeach)
James Ducker (@TelegraphDucker)
Andy Mitten (@AndyMitten)
Paul Hirst (@HirstClass)
Adam Crafton (@AdamCrafton_)
Craig Norwood (@CraigNorwood) - very rarely posts about transfers nowadays
Dan Sheldon (@dansheldonsport)
Mark Critchley (@mjcritchley)
The Athletic (@TheAthleticUK)
BBC Sport (@BBCSport) - Paper Talk/Gossip Column is Tier 5
PA Sport (@pasport)
Tier 2 - Good sources but occasionally speculativeJonathan Shrager (@JonathanShrager)
Samuel Luckhurst (@samuelluckhurst)
Rich Fay (@RichFay)
Tyrone Marshall (@TyMarshall_MEN)
Rob Dawson (@RobDawsonESPN)
Charlotte Duncker (@CharDuncker)
Melissa Reddy (@MelissaReddy_)
Howard Nurse (@howardnurse) - Mostly a meme but still good
Naveen Ullal (@UllallBT) - Only for exclusive Sport Witness news
Telegraph Football (@TeleFootball)
Guardian Sport (@guardian_sport)
Sport Witness (@Sport_Witness) - Only for exclusive news
Times Sport (@TimesSport)
Tier 3 - Possibly speculative (50/50); needs to be corroborated by more reliable sourcesDavid McDonnell (@DiscoMirror)
Neil Custis (@ncustisTheSun)
Jonathan Northcroft (@JNorthcroft)
Chris Wheeler (@ChrisWheelerDM)
Jamie Jackson (@JamieJackson___)
Tier 4 - Speculative; rarely on the right trackMark Odgen (@MarkOdgen_)
Alex Shaw (AlexShawESPN)
Graeme Bailey (@GraemeBailey)
Steve Bates (@sbates_people)
Simon Mullock (@MullockSMirror)
Chris Winterburn (@cmwinterburn)
Sam Pilger (@sampilger)
James Robson (@jamesrobsonES)
Phil Brown (@Malachians) - Doesn't post about United that much but still does from time to time
Sky Sports England - Paper Talk is Tier 5
StrettyNews (only for their own exclusives)
Tier 5 - Banned; so speculative that they may as well be guessing; aggregatorsMiguel Delaney (@MiguelDelaney)
Simon Jones
Mark Goldbridge (@markgoldbridge)
Stephen Howson (@MrStephenHowson)
Tom McDermott (@MrTomMcDermott)
Terry Flewers (@terryflewers)
z (@zeeshanxz)
Ross Harwood (@RossHarwood_)
mufcmpb (@mufcMPB)
The Sun
Daily Mail
Express
Standard
CaughtOffside
Metro
90min.com
Daily Star
Mirror
Goal
Manchester Evening News (@ManUtdMEN)
talkSPORT
Independent
Bleacher Report
Football365

Here are the non-United sources that are forbidden in this thread (as of 24 January 2023):

TierSource (Individual)Source (Media Outlet)
Tier 4 - Banned for aggregators; speculative; rarely on the right trackStefan Bienkowski (@SBienkowski) - General football but focus on Manchester City on multiple occasions
Dominic King (@DominicKing_DM) - Northern football (i.e. Liverpool, Everton, City, United, etc.)
Darren Lewis (@MirrorDarren) - London football
Lyall Thomas/Alex Crook/"Talksport sources"/Tom Hopkinson/Kaveh Solhekol - English football
Saber Desfarges (@SaberDesfa)/Mohamed Toubache-Ter (@MohamedTERParis) - French football
Julien Laurens (@LaurensJulien) - French football/players; Tier 3 for PSG
Daniele Longo (@86_longo)/Marco Conterio (@marcoconterio) - Italian football/players
Jorge Nicola (@jorgenicola)/other Brazilian journalists on YouTube - Brazilian football/players
Sébastien Denis (@sebnonda)
Gianluigi Longari (@Glongari)
Christian Falk (@cfbayern) - Tier 3 for Bayern Munich
Duncan Castles (@DuncanCastles) - Tier 2 for news involving Jorge Mendes clients/transfers
Manuel Veth (@ManuelVeth) - German football, MLS, and Canadian football
Pete O'Rourke (@SportsPeteO)
Get French Football News (@GFFN) - Exclusives only
Transfer Window Podcast (Duncan Castles)
Téléfoot (@telefoot_TF1) - French football
BILD/SportBILD - German football
Portuguese newspapers not already covered (e.g. Record, A Bola, O Jogo)
Spanish newspapers (e.g. ABC, Sport, AS)
Italian newspapers, news sites, and radio stations (e.g. Gazzetta dello Sport, Radio Napoli, CalcioNapoli24)
Sport Mediaset (@sportmediaset)
Football Insider (@footyinsider247)
Foot Mercato (@footmercato)
All other local media outlets that haven't already been mentioned/covered.
Tier 5 - Banned; so speculative that they may as well be guessing; aggregatorsNicolò Schira (@NicoSchira)
Ekrem Konur (@Ekremkonur)
Pedro Almeida (@pedrogva6)
Rudy Galetti (@RudyGaletti)
Jacque Talbot (@jac_talbot)
Simon Phillips (@siphillipssport) - Chelsea
Tancredi Palmeri (@tancredipalmeri)
Kevin Palmer (@RealKevinPalmer)
Dean Jones (@DeanJonesSoccer)
Indykaila (@indykaila)
محمد الكعبي (@Qatari)
Shay Lugassi (@Shlugassi)
Don Balon (@DonBalon)
Diario Gol (@diarioGOLcom)
Fichajes.net (@fichajesnet)
El Chiringuito (@elchiringuitotv) - Spanish football/players
Fussball Transfers (@FT_Redaktion)
Jeunes Footeux
le10sport (@le10sport)
But! Football Club (@club_but)
Corriere dello Sport (@CorSport)
Tuttosport (@tuttosport)
All Italian transfer sites (e.g. Calciomercato.com, Calciomercato.it, TuttoMercatoWeb)
Transfermarkt (@transfermarkt)
Football Transfers (@Transfersdotcom)

Last edited:

Zoo

On #Bastoni there is not only the @SpursOfficial , also the @ManUtd has put it in the viewfinder

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

On #Bastoni there is not only the @SpursOfficial , also the @ManUtd has put it in the viewfinder
:eek:

I've always enjoyed watching Bastoni, but if we're looking at him, then surely, we're either playing a back 3 or a very proactive, attacking setup.

Blood Mage

I predict this thread will move slowly, just like our recruitment team.
If he's good enough he'll have broken into the team by then and we shouldn't have much trouble persuading him to stay.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I had to check just to make sure this wasn't utdreport posting any BS.

Source: Calciomercato.it

The intermediary's quotes:
Garnacho is a very promising footballer, born in 2004. He plays for Argentina even though he’s born in Madrid and grew up at Atlético Madrid. Then Manchester United picked him up, where he made some appearances in the first-team as well. He’s a winger that comes inside, but he’s already in a top club and it will not be easy to snatch him from Manchester United, even if there are interests from Italian teams. Juventus would like to pull off a coup à la Pogba when his contract expires.
Just as a heads up, this guy may not actually represent Garnacho. I don't even know if he's actually working with Juventus in any way let alone on this potential transfer.

Blood Mage

For the first time ever I don't fancy our chances in a race with Spurs for a player. I think Bastoni is heading there.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
What we should do with Garnacho if he’s not going to play much here is aggressively loan him. If he kills it on loan he’s worth the kind of money it’ll take to stave off the likes of Juve. If he doesn’t smash it it’ll be a reality check to him and his agent that he has a long way to go. Sick of us paying players stupid money to not develop

NewYorkRed

For the first time ever I don't fancy our chances in a race with Spurs for a player. I think Bastoni is heading there.
Spurs are not a bigger draw than us. Only two things can be true: A) We are actually in for him and if it’s between us and spurs, we’ll get him. B)Our name is being used to drive up the price/rush spurs into making their move.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
What we should do with Garnacho if he’s not going to play much here is aggressively loan him. If he kills it on loan he’s worth the kind of money it’ll take to stave off the likes of Juve. If he doesn’t smash it it’ll be a reality check to him and his agent that he has a long way to go. Sick of us paying players stupid money to not develop
His contract expires in 12 months, although he is due to sign a new deal

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Can we send Garnacho to Ajax perhaps as a thank you for giving us Ten Hag and maybe sweeten the Timber deal.

Eredivisie and a decent youth support set up means he'd get a good chance to get minutes in and develop.

Or perhaps Sporting?

sleepehead

I think it's just too soon for a loan, he needs one more year in the U23s before I'd send him out. He's got potential, but he's still raw in a couple spots. He also needs to strengthen his body too, he's not tiny but I think he can get pushed around. If he just keeps making leaps then maybe during the Jan window we'd be open to sending him somewhere to get some 1st team exposure.

matherto

Spurs are not a bigger draw than us. Only two things can be true: A) We are actually in for him and if it’s between us and spurs, we’ll get him. B)Our name is being used to drive up the price/rush spurs into making their move.
Conte being an Italian manager and playing a three at the back helps them though.

And as it stands, our prospects are roughly equal, regardless of historical success.

I think he's more likely to want to play under an Italian manager in a system he plays in now than someone else if he moves.

matherto

I think it's just too soon for a loan, he needs one more year in the U23s before I'd send him out. He's got potential, but he's still raw in a couple spots. He also needs to strengthen his body too, he's not tiny but I think he can get pushed around. If he just keeps making leaps then maybe during the Jan window we'd be open to sending him somewhere to get some 1st team exposure.
Our hand might be forced before he's ready though if the hawks are circling.

NewYorkRed

Conte being an Italian manager and playing a three at the back helps them though.

And as it stands, our prospects are roughly equal, regardless of historical success.

I think he's more likely to want to play under an Italian manager in a system he plays in now than someone else if he moves.
Those are fair points so I won’t argue with them, but I can’t see a player picking them or Arsenal over us. Just can’t. The other three is a different story currently.

Blood Mage

They have CL football and Conte. They're currently the biggest draw they've ever been. We might be able to win the race by offering Inter and the player silly money but that's it.

Green Yellow Red

The transfer window hasn't opened yet and I'm already bored with the constant rumors about who United are in the market for or not. Eriksen would be a great addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.