Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2E_MUFC

We need a striker AND a winger IMO. Elanga is never going to make it here. Obviously a centre mid is crucial. Then if we sell AWB we will need a right back. Seems like the club want another goalkeeper also. I can’t see us signing 5 players.

Dazzmondo

If there were no other clubs willing to pay what we are for Rice and he was available next season then yes, I think he would join us even if we were only in Europa, because there would be a big amount of money and more potential for improvement here than at West Ham, as far as I'm concerned. de Jong? If he's not coming this season he's probably not coming next season, totally agree on that.

The real question is do I see Tielemans or Neves as the way we'll crack into the top four. Will they make the difference in our position? Personally, I'm not as convinced as you seem to be, especially because ETH seems to be unconvinced as well. I'd prefer we went after the next big youth prospect and grow into top four rather than relying on existing talent on massive wages, as it clearly very rarely works out for us.

Sidenote, every summer window there's a number of people thinking we'll make 7+ signings, it's kind of funny tbh.

First team signings (youth prospects and backup keepers in brackets):
22/23 - 3 so far - Malacia, Martinez, Eriksen
21/22 - 3 - Sancho, Varane, Ronaldo (Heaton)
20/21 - 3 - VDB, Telles, Cavani (Amad, Pellistri)
19/20 - 4 - Maguire, bruno, Wan-Bissaka, James (Ighalo on a loan to cover injuries)
18/19 - 2 - Fred, Dalot (Grant)
17/18 - 4 - Lukaku, Matic, Lindelof, Sanchez
16/17 - 4 - Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Bailly, Ibra
15/16 - 6 - Martial, Schneiderlin, Depay, Darmian, Romero, Schweinsteiger
14/15 - 5 - Di Maria, Shaw, Herrera, Rojo, Blind, Falcao (Milinkovic-Savic)
13/14 - 2 - Mata, Fellaini
12/13 - 5 - RVP, Kagawa, Zaha, Powell, Buttner (Henriquez) - debatable on Powell and Buttner being 1st team signings though.
11/12 - 3 - de Gea, Jones, Young (Veseli)
10/11 - 3 - Bebé, Smalling, Chicharito (Lindegaard)
09/10 - 4 - Valencia, Diouf, Obertan, Owen
08/09 - 2 - Berbatov, Tosic (De Laet)

Supposedly we're in for four more signings, as I mentioned earlier. That'd make it our biggest transfer window ever, easily. I'm not sure where people think these funds are coming from. I think we'll get 2 more, maybe 3, meaning 5-6 signings - which is still more than any time in the past six seasons (and those seasons include multiple windows).
I don't think any of those other seasons saw as many players leaving as this season though. Yes, they weren't all particularly important to the 1st team but I think when you lose 8 players (and likely to be more by the end of the window) from the 1st team squad, it's understandable to expect a few more coming in to add depth that we lost when Pogba, Cavani, Lingard, Matic, Mata, Pereira, Henderson, Grant as well as likely Telles, Bailly, Jones, Tuanzebe, Williams, AWB and maybe even our top goalscorer from last season Ronaldo also leaving. A couple like Pereira, Tuanzebe and Williams were on loan last season but even discounting them that's a huge number of players to leave the club in just 1 window. Even if we can't get the players we'd want in to add quality for the 1st XI, frankly we're in a position where we need to add numbers that can cover in case of injury and rotation.

EDIT: Didn't take long for this point to be proven. Martial out. Ronaldo completely unfit and still likely to leave before window ends imo. Options are probably Rashford through the centre with one of Elanga or Garnacho on the left, a completely unfit and uninterested Ronaldo, or Amad playing up front (who we seemed to be looking to loan before this based on reports). Sancho not even fully confirmed to be back yet either.

Last edited:

Woodzy

It’s shocking seeing that Dalot and Fred were our only signings during Mourinho’s meltdown season. No wonder we well apart.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Depends how highly the club and coach rates Sesko?

We know the philosophy needs to change to pick up young hungry players with the potential to become great at the club rather than picking up those towards the opposite end.

Ultimately we have a new coach and recruitment set up. Fans need to learn to accept that and give it a chance rather than comparing it to previous regimes and churning out the same moans (not necessarily you but you likely get the point)
Low and behold Martial has picked up a hamstring injury... who would have thought ey

lysglimt

Scout
It’s shocking seeing that Dalot and Fred were our only signings during Mourinho’s meltdown season. No wonder we well apart.
I read someplace that our financial situatiion was so bad after the 2-3 seasons before that where we blew money left and right - the board simply didn't dare to give Mourinho more to spend.

Cassidy

Terrible news but even more reason why we can’t just dispose of Ronaldo until he’s replaced
I agree, I woudln't dispose of Ronaldo, we have already lost too many attackers

Cassidy

Greenwood has really cost us in terms of planning for the future.
Well to be perfectly honest Greenwood happened nearly 8 months ago, in fact Rangnick wanted an attacker in Jan so the club only has itself to blame for not having signed a single attacker since it happened.

TheReligion

Abusive
Well to be perfectly honest Greenwood happened nearly 8 months ago, in fact Rangnick wanted an attacker in Jan so the club only has itself to blame for not having signed a single attacker since it happened.
I don’t disagree but I’m talking long term.

We’ve essentially lost a £50-60m+ player set to be at the club for the next 10 years rather suddenly.

The United

Not trying to reinforce the CF area this summer would be as strange as anything that happened under WW.

Dazzmondo

This. Nonsense at this stage to still blame Greenwood situation. The Board could have got Alvarez or another striker in January and they did nothing.

Cassidy

Actually both of them didn't contribute too much last season, if Sesko can performance a 10+ goals season it will be a very huge success
Which is why we finished 6th..... 10+ goals extra isn't getting us where we need to be. I agree that's a success for him but is it a success for United?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I’m not against it because Ten Hagg made him show stunning form at Ajax. Depends on price and also someone needs to look at his injury record at Chelsea because he always seemed injured when I was looking for him.

Uniquim

oh ffs. That's the last thing we needed. Ideally, I'd want us to start anyone else but Ronaldo. Stick him on the bench for all the shit he's pulled this summer. Put Rashford up front, and Elanga on the right, Sancho on the left. I'd be happy with Garnacho on the left too.

dubplate warrior

I know it's a process, but personally I would rather us sell off deadwood and contribute to the wages then postpone the problem for another year. Yes, it wouldn't make huge profits for us, but at least they're off the books and we can then look forward to a new era.
The problem we're facing is that the inflated wages our deadwood are on makes it difficult to sell them. Arsenal had a similar problem when Arteta came in which took a while to fix. Also worth mentioning that some players deserve flack and a little less protection, Phil Jones being the main one I have a beef with.

Cantonagotmehere

Does feel like the club is quite likely to lurch in to full-blown crisis mode at some point this month. A good result and performance at the weekend is desperately needed, if only to put a silver lining on the gathering storm clouds.
I really don't think so. I think most fans expectations are low and we just want ETH to get going make his stamp on the club. He has a lot crap to deal with and the club has already dealt with some it with much more to go.

Kill3r7

The problem we're facing is that the inflated wages our deadwood are on makes it difficult to sell them. Arsenal had a similar problem when Arteta came in which took a while to fix. Also worth mentioning that some players deserve flack and a little less protection, Phil Jones being the main one I have a beef with.
Said the same thing yesterday. Many top clubs are struggling to move their high wage, out of form, surplus players post COVID. See Spurs, Chelsea, Madrid or even Barca with Depay.

Lee565

Martial returned from his loan spell, Greenwood is out since january and Cavani barely featured last season.
Martial, Rashford and Ronaldo is not ideal but should be enough.
However, my biggest worry is going with championship-level midfield another season, it must be addressed.
Having just about enough in attack is just not good enough for club that wants to be competing for top 4 let alone titles

We need to correct our ambitions as a club of just being happy to creep into ucl football in one way or another.

Brophs

The One and Only
This seems odd. The phrasing suggests we’d be recouping cash from sales in addition to reducing the wage bill. We’ve sold Pereira well, but Henderson has gone on loan, ditto Telles and Bailly seems to be rumoured to be off to Roma on a loan with an option. Jones won’t bring in anything. Tuanzebe, we’d be lucky to see £10m. The only links with AWB seem to be back to Palace on a loan. Brandon Williams might generate a few quid, but I doubt it’d be the £15m to Brighton rumoured at the weekend. Chong’s fee would be negligible.

I don’t really see it.

Cantonagotmehere

Feel the same that the biggest pressing issue is up front, but not that Ronaldo needs removing. Just that the situation needs resolving on two fronts - his situation whichever way that goes and getting in another forward regardless.

Think we can do ok till Jan in all the other departments. Crisis is typical media hyperbole.
Agree with both of you. Ronaldo is the only big concern for me at this point.

dubplate warrior

This seems odd. The phrasing suggests we’d be recouping cash from sales in addition to reducing the wage bill. We’ve sold Pereira well, but Henderson has gone on loan, ditto Telles and Bailly seems to be rumoured to be off to Roma on a loan with an option. Jones won’t bring in anything. Tuanzebe, we’d be lucky to see £10m. The only links with AWB seem to be back to Palace on a loan. Brandon Williams might generate a few quid, but I doubt it’d be the £15m to Brighton rumoured at the weekend. Chong’s fee would be negligible.

I don’t really see it.
If we could even get all those players off the books I'd be impressed.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
proper shit show this summer but perhaps just the first in a series of shit shows while we get all the players who will not be in the manager's plans out of the door.

I could see Ten Hag opt for building a young side from the best youth players over the next few years and largely binning off transfers except for when a player with exactly the profile needed becomes available. In the short term it probably means some pain, but over time, it could end up being the best thing we ever did

Cassidy

I don’t really see it.
Neither do I but the club has a narrative to run with

Status
Not open for further replies.