Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted Lasso

Slam Murtough/Arnold all you want but you all wanted the club to back the manager and back thr manager they have. Getting the targets HE wants. Just because they’re not as fancy as YOU want, doesn’t mean they’re not good at their jobs.
Exactly. All the infrastructure efforts were , in my understanding, put on hold to accommodate the immediate needs of the new manager. I'd expect a bit more collaborative solutions for personnel in coming windows but not this one. This seems to 100% be on ETH from all we're seeing.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I can understand us not having money to spend but it’s hilarious that we spent 55 million on a CB when that wasn’t really a pressing need in this squad

red_de_pologne

Slam Murtough/Arnold all you want but you all wanted the club to back the manager and back thr manager they have. Getting the targets HE wants. Just because they’re not as fancy as YOU want, doesn’t mean they’re not good at their jobs.
We will get whoever you want as long they're in the 10-15 million range

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
We will get whoever you want as long they're in the 10-15 million range
Also this bollocks about Glazers having no money simply isn’t true. The money is there. The club is not. If we were in UCL, we’d have a much easier time and the targets would be easier to convince. We just spent £55M on a defender for fecks sake

justsomebloke

United know that the biggest mistake they can make this summer is to go against the wishes of the new man in charge. If gradual change is to be implemented, then it is Ten Hag who must be given blind backing for this summer at least.

The club must continue to show their full faith in the new manager, even if they have obvious doubts.

This is mental. If United's approach to transfer policy is to blindly support a new manager, then they're just replacing one kind of dysfunctionality with another. This is what you have a scouting dept and a DoF for. If your approach is to give the manager everything he points at, then those are irrelevant. And it really isn't doing EtH a favour. If you want to help EtH, then do your fecking jobs properly and don't ask him to sort out problems that other parts of management should be on top of.

Obviously EtH wants the club to do well in the longer term, but a less than well entrenched manager inevitably and always has his own survival as the most pressing immediate concern, and that will skew such decisions. We've seen that before, f.e. with OGS preferring to hang on to Lingard because he wanted the depth. A decision that was mad from a personnel management point of view, never should have been allowed to happen and wouldn't have happened if we had a functioning management structure geared to the right priorities.

Just listen to what Pep Guardiola says when he's talking about these things. He's clear what he thinks and what he wants and that this is known to management, but he's also very clear it's not really his call. You never hear him complaining about a signing and there's nothing to indicate the club isn't listening to his views, but at the same time he also isn't complaining when the club won't go above their valuation for Cuccurella, or demanding that they hang on Bernardo Silva. It looks a lot me like he's happy enough to let the people whose job it is to get on with handling player movement, confident that they're on the same page and that they'll handle it well.

Jezpeza

Looks like in the next two days we will be in a situation where we have signed 2 Serie A dregs, a backup lb when we already had Telles and Williams, and an attacking midfielder we should have signed in 2016 and be selling about now, and a 60 million clone of Rojo.

Some rebuild, we are going all out! Cant see us making top 6

Nogho

I can se a red line in all ETH transfers. ETH wants personality and players who takes place. I think he really likes Ronaldo as well. He wants players who shows a little spunk. Look at the players United have at the moment - one goal down and they just give up. I think he wants to "live" up the squad with vivid players who then he thinks he can control and make the best out of.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
United know that the biggest mistake they can make this summer is to go against the wishes of the new man in charge. If gradual change is to be implemented, then it is Ten Hag who must be given blind backing for this summer at least.

The club must continue to show their full faith in the new manager, even if they have obvious doubts.

This is mental. If United's approach to transfer policy is to blindly support a new manager, then they're just replacing one kind of dysfunctionality with another. This is what you have a scouting dept and a DoF for. If your approach is to give the manager everything he points at, then those are irrelevant. And it really isn't doing EtH a favour.

Obviously EtH wants the club to do well in the longer term, but a less than well entrenched manager inevitably and always has his own survival as the most pressing immediate concern, and that will skew such decisions. We've seen that before, f.e. with OGS preferring to hang on to Lingard because he wanted the depth. A decision that was mad from a personnel management point of view, never should have been allowed to happen and wouldn't have happened if we had a functioning management structure geared to the right priorities.

Just listen to what Pep Guardiola says when he's talking about these things. He's clear what he thinks and what he wants and that this is known to management, but he's also very clear it's not really his call. You never hear him complaining about a signing and there's nothing to indicate the club isn't listening to his views, but at the same time he also isn't complaining when the club won't go above their valuation for Cuccurella, or demanding that they hang on Bernardo Silva. It looks a lot me like he's happy enough to let the people whose job it is to get on with handling player movement, confident that they're on the same page and that they'll handle it well.
They are incapable of identifying/scouting players that the narrative now has become that "this is all what ETH wants and we're fully backing him"

A manager who was managing in Eredivise, what level of scouting do you expect from him or his team? And there still are fans who think they are good at the job! Screwing around the whole summer, panic buying shit players from Serie A is what they have come out with! Arnautovic? Are you fecking kidding me?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

This is mental. If United's approach to transfer policy is to blindly support a new manager, then they're just replacing one kind of dysfunctionality with another. This is what you have a scouting dept and a DoF for. If your approach is to give the manager everything he points at, then those are irrelevant. And it really isn't doing EtH a favour. If you want to help EtH, then do your fecking jobs properly and don't ask him to sort out problems that other parts of management should be on top of.

They are incapable of identifying/scouting players that the narrative now has become that "this is all what ETH wants and we're fully backing him"

A manager who was managing in Eredivise, what level of scouting do you expect from him or his team? And there still are fans who think they are good at the job! Screwing around the whole summer, panic buying shit players from Serie A is what they have come out with! Arnautovic? Are you fecking kidding me?
It feels like back the manager this window with his targets to get some sort of identity down and then following windows will be more of a collaborative effort

Smores

It very much seems like the club is trying to push blame onto ETH for its own failures.

I'd argue that our signings make a lot more sense if you conclude someone has assumed the list is not in preferential order.

M4YON

Obvious bewilderment amongst some journalists at our approach and you can understand why. You should always back the new manager but there's lines that must he drawn and I don't think Murtough and Arnold want to draw them through fear of being called out.

I think @justsomebloke is right we simply swapped one crazy strategy only to deploy an equally crazy strategy, not good.

Matt851

What nonsense, I (and many others) didn't want to back the manager in the sense of giving them autonomy over transfer targets. I wanted a proper structure with a competent dof working with a scouting department to identify players that meet the profile required to play the type of football we as a club want to play and a system to the identify preferred targets. It's not rocket science

The myth you and others are peddling is that all our recent transfer failings are down to Ed woodward choosing the targets when in reality its often been the manager. But because they have often selected poorly and we have switched between managers with different styles of football we have a mess of a squad

If we wanted the manager to choose targets then choosing someone who has done it at a higher level than utrecht would have made sense

Smores

He wants them only in the absence of the club being component enough to get better players sure.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
He wants them only in the absence of the club being component enough to get better players sure.
No. He doesn’t have that much fecking power for christ sakes. Swear some of the posters on here live in conspiracy theory dream land.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I don’t think we’re done after these two potential signings either. Going to be an interesting few weeks!

jamesjimmybyrondean

The alarm bells are really ringing with just this window and it's because we've seen this movie many times before. Nobody should be surprised if this doesn't end well for ETH

Jev

Yep. The thing we need to talk about is whether Ten Haag's transfer targets are good and ambitious enough. Unfortunately there is quite a bit of evidence from this summer that they're not, and that we can't just blindly back him in this regard.

Matt851

Yep. The thing we need to talk about is whether Ten Haag's transfer targets are good and ambitious enough. Unfortunately there is quite a bit of evidence from this summer that they're not, and that we can't just blindly back him in this regard.
Is this based on the idea that murtough couldn't possible be expected to do his job this summer because he was only officially appointed 6 months ago.

I have heard this peddled quite a few times before and it's a fairly incredible stance for a highly paid executive

Ralph1386

I agree. Back in May, when the club asked him which players he wants, I highly doubt that Arnautovic or Rabiot were even mentioned. They’re just scrambling to get something done now because they failed to get or couldn’t afford the main targets.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Yeah, a time difference of 4 hours would definitely hinder. Seriously, what the feck are we even doing ? In this age , we are claiming time difference is an actual hindrance !!

RORY65

Is this based on the idea that murtough couldn't possible be expected to do his job this summer because he was only officially appointed 6 months ago.

I have heard this peddled quite a few times before and it's a fairly incredible stance for a highly paid executive
Murtough was appointed 17 months ago. I was sort of willing to go along with the idea that Woodward's continued presence was an issue and then sacking the heads of the scouting department meant this summer was going to be tricky and to truly judge him next summer. However if we're again bringing in subpar players on big, multi-year contracts then that to me is really concerning.

I never expected us to be good this year so if we bolstered the squad with young players we think have a lot of potential or maybe a couple of loans to give us some depth and really attacked next summer then I could go for that but having more bad contracts for players we won't be able to move would be a terrible result of the next few weeks.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Yeah, a time difference of 4 hours would definitely hinder. Seriously, what the feck are we even doing ? In this age , we are claiming time difference is an actual hindrance !!
Try running a business on a 4 hr time difference. It clearly is a problem.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I was never (and i will never be) for backing a manager in a way how we did it with Ole and now Ten Hag. DoF is there to make a plan and manager must follow that plan which means that they must find targets together. This is complete bs.

Also, Murtough is awful at his job because he had 4 bloody months to work on signings and he managed to sign 3 (of which two came here late). How the feck is always you who defends blindly key people in this club?

Do you realise how important is to get players early? Brighton game is the answer ffs

Salford_Red83

Seems to me like journalists are being kept in the dark about United's transfer business, so when stuff like this comes out we get the "it's all a bit desperate isn't it?" headlines.
I can't believe ETH would put all his eggs in the FDJ basket without any backups and flail around at the last minute.

Journalists know nowt!

bond19821982

Come on now. We aren't doing a retail business. Such a stupid half arsed reasoning and can't believe we have people supporting it.

Matt851

Murtough was appointed 17 months ago. I was sort of willing to go along with the idea that Woodward's continued presence was an issue and then sacking the heads of the scouting department meant this summer was going to be tricky and to truly judge him next summer. However if we're again bringing in subpar players on big, multi-year contracts then that to me is really concerning.

I never expected us to be good this year so if we bolstered the squad with young players we think have a lot of potential or maybe a couple of loans to give us some depth and really attacked next summer then I could go for that but having more bad contracts for players we won't be able to move would be a terrible result of the next few weeks.
Exactly, it just seems like we have tried to show we are backing him by going after de jong and Anthony but when that proved difficult we have had no clue what to do. There are so many midfielders we could have gone for before rabiot for example

Buying players based on potential would have resulted in a tough season but would have been a viable strategy

bond19821982

If this is the best club and manager can come up with, then we have much bigger problems than scouting.

C3Pique

If we have an agreement in principle for Ruiz why the feck have we not signed him yet?

Worst case scenario we get FDJ and a quality backup. Most likely scenario is we get no-one (or Rabiot).

justsomebloke

Depends on how they've organised themselves. Obviously negotiations can be time-sensitive, but US companies and diplomatic missions are handling this all the time. If it's a problem, that would to me indicate that the owners aren't processing things as a matter of priority, and/or that club executives aren't given enough scope to work within certain clear parameters?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I like Rabiot option. Maybe that means that we are bringing him AND De jong which means bye bye McFred

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I was never (and i will never be) for backing a manager in a way how we did it with Ole and now Ten Hag. DoF is there to make a plan and manager must follow that plan which means that they must find targets together. This is complete bs.

Also, Murtough is awful at his job because he had 4 bloody months to work on signings and he managed to sign 3 (of which two came here late). How the feck is always you who defends blindly key people in this club?

Do you realise how important is to get players early? Brighton game is the answer ffs
Martinez the deal with the player and the club was agreed before he signed because of Visa issues you can blame Brexit for that. Erikssen I have no idea why it took so long but there arr Articles by The Athletic which does a deep dive, I think it would be down to his cardiac arrest and any contractual / extra long medical for the length of time it took to confirm

M4YON

Depends where in the US they are, there's several different timezones in the US of which the greatest(PDT) is around 7 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.