Transgender Athletes

Carolina Red

Staff
Why didn't you win the Nationals or Olympics by the way?
I didn’t compete in off-season wrestling as an athlete because I was busy with football and baseball once wrestling season ended. I was also All-Region and a region champion in baseball and football. (I guess I am uber-privileged.) Not to mention that literally 6 freestyle wrestlers in the United States are eligible to wrestle in the Olympics in any given year and I wasn’t good enough to do that even if I did try to. There’s levels to this stuff and that is a whole other level that I can’t really even put into words.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
I didn’t compete in off-season wrestling as an athlete because I was busy with football and baseball once wrestling season ended.

I was also All-Region and a region champion in baseball and football. I guess I am uber-privileged.
Sounds like you didn't work hard enough to make it to the top level of anything.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I didn’t compete in off-season wrestling as an athlete because I was busy with football and baseball once wrestling season ended.

I was also All-Region and a region champion in baseball and football. I guess I am uber-privileged.
Jock.

Shamwow

But you were an elite competitor right? Surely you wanted to make it to the top level of something? And all that counts is hard work so clearly that's why you didn't get any further than you did.

Carolina Red

Staff
But you were an elite competitor right? Surely you wanted to make it to the top level of something? And all that counts is hard work so clearly that's why you didn't get any further than you did.
You realize that I just told you that I literally won shit, right?

All you’re doing here is showing how little you know about athletics.

Shamwow

You realize that I just told you that I literally won shit, right?

All you’re doing here is showing how little you know about athletics.
But you didn't make it to the top. Did you just not want to?

Shamwow

Are you alright?
I'm just curious that you had no privilege or natural advantage to get to where you go to and it was just hard work. But if that's true then you didn't work hard enough to make it to the top which must have been something you wanted as a self professed competitor. If you didn't work hard enough, then you weren't actually that competitive. It's all very conflicting.

It just kind of discredits the idea that privilege isn't involved at any point.

Carolina Red

Staff
I'm just curious that you had no privilege or natural advantage to get to where you go to and it was just hard work. But if that's true then you didn't work hard enough to make it to the top which must have been something you wanted as a self professed competitor. If you didn't work hard enough, then you weren't actually that competitive. It's all very conflicting.

It just kind of discredits the idea that privilege isn't involved at any point.
That’s nice dear.

What the hell does this have to do with transgender athletes?

Shamwow

That’s nice dear.

What the hell does this have to do with transgender athletes?
Well we went off on a little tangent about top level athletes already being quite priveliged, whereas you seem to think that has nothing to do with it and all success comes from hard work.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Well we went off on a little tangent about top level athletes already being quite priveliged, whereas you seem to think that has nothing to do with it and all success comes from hard work.
You're having a bit of a mare here, maybe relax a litte

Carolina Red

Staff
No, we didn’t do that. You did that. I simply told you I’ve won things. I take no ownership in what you did with that info.

Shamwow

No, we didn’t do that. You did that. I simply told you I’ve won things. I take no ownership in what you did with that info.
You said it was purely down to hard work and mocked the idea that privelige had anything to do with it.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
My girlfriend is asleep now and I'm still wound up, so I'm as done as Oates was which is about medium rare.

I personally don't see it as simply a choice like you do, I think that negates a massive lived experience and the fact that you think they should be punished for it by not being able to compete in sports alongside other women is what concerned me.

Lets not forget that you started with the disengenuous "you must not care about biological women at all then" and supporting ViM's vile post about me. So don't act like youre perfect here.
So you have no proof that I said what you've accused me of saying, yet you'll continue to baselessly repeat it anyway? Gotcha.

I did not disingenuously start that line of argument. It's a logical assumption based on you quite literally referring to the sports careers of biological females as "immaterial and inconsequential" and repeatedly refusing to explain why you think it is biological women without gender dysphoria that should be the ones to miss out.

I didn't even know what VIM had posted about you, I just saw that you'd called someone a bigot, which wasn't entirely unexpected given the only reason you seem to even enter this thread was to start painting people as bigots ("oh yeah, I forgot trans men don't exist"). The fact that you've now baselessly called me a transphobe for daring to think things here aren't as black and white as you clearly do just supports that.

You're still wrong. Or lazy and unfocused compared the top competitors in your sports.
Being focused is privilege?

Carolina Red

Staff
You're still wrong. Or lazy and unfocused compared the top competitors in your sports.
Oh no doubt. Jordan Burroughs 100% has a better work ethic than me. Dude is unreal and I respect everything he’s done in his career and for the sport of wrestling. 10 out of 10, would recommend.

Shamwow

So you have no proof that I said what you've accused me of saying, yet you'll continue to baselessly repeat it anyway? Gotcha.

I did not disingenuously start that line of argument. It's a logical assumption based on you quite literally referring to the sports careers of biological females as "immaterial and inconsequential" and repeatedly refusing to explain why you think it is biological women without gender dysphoria that should be the ones to miss out.

I didn't even know what VIM had posted about you, I just saw that you'd called someone a bigot, which wasn't entirely unexpected given the only reason you seem to even enter this thread was to start painting people as bigots ("oh yeah, I forgot trans men don't exist"). The fact that you've now baselessly called me a transphobe for daring to think things here aren't as black and white as you clearly do just supports that.
I called him a bigot because he used a bigoted insult against me and you backed him up.

Being focused is privilege?
Did you miss the "or"?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I called him a bigot because he used a bigoted insult against me and you backed him up.

Did you miss the "or"?
I didn't back him up though. I said something like "there we are" when you called someone a bigot because you have repeatedly demonstrated that all you want to do here is call people bigoted. It was evident from the second (consecutive) post you made as you entered the debate.

Shamwow

In my eyes biological women without gender dysphoria as you put it are not missing out as much with trans competitors being included. as the trans people would miss out by not being able to compete as the women they are.

I didn't mean to say that women's careers in any sense are immaterial so that was poor wording, but the actual act of winning is less important than making sure women can take part. And it's a more intangible thing. Most people don't win in the end.

And this is in the context of trans women not actually dominating sport at the moment, so cis women probably aren't missing out on anything anyway.

Whereas you're proposing excluding others entirely from fulfilling their ambitions.

The scales on this one weigh strongly in the other direction for me.

Shamwow

I didn't back him up though. I said something like "there we are" when you called someone a bigot because you have repeatedly demonstrated that all you want to do here is call people bigoted. It was evident from the second (consecutive) post you made as you entered the debate.
In the context it was backing him up and what he said was vile. It's not my fault you didn't read the post of the person you were backing up and find out that it was actually bigoted.

If he'd said the n word or something I think you'd be a bit more apologetic but I guess angry disabled people are fair game.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
In the context it was backing him up and what he said was vile. It's not my fault you didn't read the post of the person you were backing up and find out that it was actually bigoted.
You can read into it like that if you want, but that wasn't at all my intention, and the fact you've doubled down to repeatedly, baselessly accuse people of transphobia says all I need to here about where you stand.

As for you post above, you are once again ignoring the finite number of places available in elite sport, and once again ignoring the very principles of fairness that said sport is built on.

You're entitled to believe that trans women should be included in women's categories, just as others are entitled to believe that biological males should be excluded from competing with biological females.

One side of the debate has presented arguments backed up by scientific findings, the other has tied themselves in nots about everyone competing together in one group in the name of inclusivity, but not one group, separate, categorised groups to keep things fair, but a group based on biological sex is somehow not one of them, and then accused people of bigotry/transphobia for not nodding approvingly.

Shamwow

You can read into it like that if you want, but that wasn't at all my intention, and the fact you've doubled down to repeatedly, baselessly accuse people of transphobia says all I need to here about where you stand.
It's not baseless when you've got people like marukomu posting his bollocks about men just putting on a bra and knickers and competing, whoever said being trans is a choice (not you), and multiple people directing ableist insults at me and being backed up for it.

Shamwow

Oh no doubt. Jordan Burroughs 100% has a better work ethic than me. Dude is unreal and I respect everything he’s done in his career and for the sport of wrestling. 10 out of 10, would recommend.
And all the others!

Shamwow

One side of the debate has presented arguments backed up by scientific findings, the other has tied themselves in nots about everyone competing together in one group in the name of inclusivity, but not one group, separate, categorised groups to keep things fair, but a group based on biological sex is somehow not one of them, and then accused people of bigotry/transphobia for not nodding approvingly.
One side of the debate has also compared trans athletes to men putting on a bra and knickers and competing against women and said that its a small price for trans athletes to pay to be excluded from elite sport because they are lucky enough to be trans, whilst the other pointed out that trans athletes haven't actually won much and therefore the concern is currently being overblown.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's not baseless when you've got people like marukomu posting his bollocks about men just putting on a bra and knickers and competing, whoever said being trans is a choice (not you), and multiple people directing ableist insults at me and being backed up for it.
Presumably they meant choosing to transition is a choice? In the same way someone who is born gay can choose when and how to come out, someone who is born with gender dysphoria can choose to deal with their reality in a number of different ways. Bit of a leap to call someone who holds that opinion transphobic.

Shamwow

Presumably they meant choosing to transition is a choice? In the same way someone who is born gay can choose when and how to come out, someone who is born with gender dysphoria can choose to deal with their reality in a number of different ways. Bit of a leap to call someone who holds that opinion transphobic.
I can't be arsed to go back through the pages now but there's some dodgy stuff from various people along those lines. At the very least it's quite insensitive in my opinion, to me at best it's like saying an important medical treatment is just a choice when it's a necessity for many. I think you're giving too much benefit of the doubt.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
One side of the debate has also compared trans athletes to men putting on a bra and knickers and competing against women and said that its a small price for trans athletes to pay to be excluded from elite sport because they are lucky enough to be trans, whilst the other pointed out that trans athletes haven't actually won much and therefore the concern is currently being overblown.
Nailed it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I can't be arsed to go back through the pages now but there's some dodgy stuff from various people along those lines. At the very least it's quite insensitive in my opinion, to me at best it's like saying an important medical treatment is just a choice when it's a necessity for many. I think you're giving too much benefit of the doubt.
I read something recently which had two ‘rules’ to try and make online discourse less toxic. Always calm yourself before writing and never assume ill intent. Seems like a good idea. Especially with sensitive topics like this. Definitely a work in progress for yours truly though!