Trophies that the losing side should have won

finneh

Came here to say that FA Cup final around 8 years ago against Arsenal. I now realise it was over 15 years ago...

ExecutionerWasp001

The League Cup final in Mourinho's first season - Man Utd 3 - Southampton 2

Thought we were awful for much of this game. We somehow took a 2 goal lead. They got a goal back & had a goal wrongly ruled offside. They managed to get an equaliser. Luckily Ibra saved out arses with a late goal.

Lentwood

United absolutely battered Arsenal in 2005 in the FA Cup final and ended up losing on penalties. That one stands out for me.

On the flip side, there was the small matter of a final in Barcelona in 1999 we were quite fortunate to win...albeit we did well to hang on in the game with our best two players missing

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
The Nani red card game against Madrid should have been won by United

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
United absolutely battered Arsenal in 2005 in the FA Cup final and ended up losing on penalties. That one stands out for me.

On the flip side, there was the small matter of a final in Barcelona in 1999 we were quite fortunate to win...albeit we did well to hang on in the game with our best two players missing
It was payback for the earlier game in the 1st group phase.

Castia

The Chelsea vs Bayern CL final

Bayern battered them but somehow ended up losing.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal 2001 FA Cup vs Liverpool.

Denied a clear penalty and Liverpool red card when Henchoz hand balled it on the line. Then got sucker punched in the 90th minute.

Man United 2005 FA Cup vs Arsenal

You battered us the entire game and we stole it on penalties.

Giggsy13

Arsenal 2006 champions league final. Was pleased they lost but the red on Lehmann was harsh and completely killed the game.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Milan 2005 CL. Liverpool 2007 CL

Barcelona 2006/07 la liga(tamudazooooo @carvajal )

Bayern Munich 15/16 and 17/18 CL

Chief123

Spurs v Liverpool UCL a couple of years ago.

Spurs outplayed Liverpool who were poor in the final. A dodgy VAR penalty gave Liverpool the first goal.

After the Milan final, thats 2 European cups they were lucky to win?

432JuanMata

You what? :lol:
I watched the full match recently and too fair we went 1-0 up had chances to make it 2 then they were the better side. They probably should of won they hit the post the bar and missed a winning penalty. It made it so sweet but we where 2nd best I feel

Chief123

I watched the full match recently and too fair we went 1-0 up had chances to make it 2 then they were the better side. They probably should of won they hit the post the bar and missed a winning penalty. It made it so sweet but we where 2nd best I feel
It was a very balanced final mate. Not a chance they were “the better team overall by far”.

We had huge chances to finish the game off with Tevez chance, carrick and Giggs in the first half. We should have had the game won before they equalised.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Should’ve knocked out Porto in 2004. Wonder where Jose would’ve ended up.

If we’d beat them I think we could’ve gone all the way.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
If they deserved to have won it they'd have won it. I don't see the point you are making. If you're the better team you win the game.
Absolutley, it doesn't matter how many chances you have/miss/are saved, if you didn't score the goals you didn't win, and dont deserve to.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
People saying Chelsea 08 :lol: should have been out the match at half time.

Cpt Negative

Nah 2008 was pretty much dead even and deserved to go to penalties on balance of play. 99 on the other hand Bayern were the better side for 90 minutes.
I always thought this, but I recently rewatched the game and we created so many chances in the last half hour. Everyone just remembers Bayern hitting the woodwork twice

Zen

I wanna hear the argument for Arsenal as the FA Cup 09 winners given that's where this thread started..... like given that Man Utd went out in the semis too and were the dominant team that year?

Jibbs

2009 champions league semi final ... Chelsea and Final, United should have won.

432JuanMata

It was a very balanced final mate. Not a chance they were “the better team overall by far”.

We had huge chances to finish the game off with Tevez chance, carrick and Giggs in the first half. We should have had the game won before they equalised.
No that’s what I mean when I say make it 2-0 as we should of put them to bed early where we were bossing it and they only equalised because VDS slipped but when they did make it 1-1 they were the better side. It was only a example I feel it wasn’t a Chelsea-Barca(the one Chelsea should of had 10 penalties) or us against Arsenal FA cup but overall I thought we were 2nd best. As I said though made it amazing especially with terry missing the winning penalty it was just dream stuff

432JuanMata

And they got one of the luckiest goals in CL final history, 2 deflections and fell perfect for fat Frank
As I just said in my reply too Chief we should of been out of sight in 30 mins and they got back into it due to VDS slipping(when did that ever happen) but 2nd half and extra time they were better

Bogga

1999 München... Don't know how the hell they didn't win that one. Those saying Chelsea 2008 and not the 1999 one, you can't have seen the 1999 game?! :eek:

432JuanMata

1999 München... Don't know how the hell they didn't win that one. Those saying Chelsea 2008 and not the 1999 one, you can't have seen the 1999 game?! :eek:
Too be fair I said both. But the 2008 isn’t a stand out one I just feel we were 2nd best but the 1999 was definitely one it was glorious in the end

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
I know but Arsenal played Chelsea in the semis and Wenger inexplicably decided not to play Arshavin who was in red hot form.
My God you've just reminded me. Dreadful decision. He said something along the lines of wanting to prove that we could win without him so that we wouldn't be so reliant on him.....

sparx99

Nah 2008 was pretty much dead even and deserved to go to penalties on balance of play. 99 on the other hand Bayern were the better side for 90 minutes.
considering they now wipe out yellow cards I’d have loved to have seen Keane and Schole play that game. Two huge misses.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
2005 Champions League final - Milan should have won.
2007 Champions League final - Liverpool should have won.
Right number of wins each, just the wrong way round

432JuanMata

Wasn’t for a trophy I know but does anyone remember the away game at Milan we won 3-2 Rooney scored 2 headers ? We were bashed in the first half and Paul Scholes scored the jammiest equaliser. If you don’t remember watch it on YouTube not even blown it out of proportions we should of been 4-0 down

Red & White

2005 FA cup final. That game still plays on my mind and it’s been nearly 16 years. How we didn’t beat Arsenal that day, I’ll never know. So much dislike and rivalry with Arsenal at the time made it one hundred times worse.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I don't know that i would go as far as to say they deserved to lose, but all three of Bayern's '70s European Cup finals could easily have gone the other way. Only the replay against Atletico was decisive.

Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa were outplayed in their finals against Hamburg and Bayern.

Steaua Bucharest and Red Star Belgrade played cynically for penalties in their winning finals against Barcelona and Marseille. Marseille were especially unlucky, though Barca looked quite bad themselves.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Bayern 2012.
How Chelsea got past both them and Barcelona will forever be a mystery.