Trophies that the losing side should have won

Djemba-Djemba

2008 CL final Utd should have been about 3-0 up at one point in the 1st half and the Chelsea goal came from a fecking fluke shot that was deflected twice to land perfectly at the feet of Lampard. VDS even slipped at the crucial moment making it an even luckier goal for them.

They were the better team 2nd half no doubt but we came back into it in Extra Time and Giggs really should have won it before it even got to penalties.

2005 FA Cup final is the best shout and the other way Southampton deserved to beat us in the 2017 League cup Final.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
2008 CL final is just an awful shout from you e-reds. We should have been out of sight at half time.

el3mel

Bayern should have won the CL final against Chelsea 2012. Biggest fluke I have ever seen in CL and most undeserved winner.

It's no surprise this Chelsea got embarrassed 1-4 in UEFA Super Cup by Atletico, lost the Club's World Cup and got eliminated from CL group stage next, with Di Matteo sacked. They just didn't deserve it from the start. They even finished 6th the season they won this CL!

GueRed

United in the Premier League on the last day of the 1994/95 season. If Cantona didnt Kung Fu that far-right knobhead earlier in the year the Prem title would've been ours.

United Premier League 1997/98. Smashed the first half of the season at home and abroad. But the squad succumbed to too many injuries in the end. If Fergie bought a couple of signings during the campaign to strengthen the squad we would've won the title. Instead lost out to Arsenal by a point.

Imagine if we won those two titles it would've been an incredible 9 in row! 1993 - 2001

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Bayern 1999
Bayern 2012
Italy Euro 2000

diarm

Holland should've won the world cup in 1998. If they weren't such a bunch of dicks fighting with each other off the field they would have.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Can't see how anyone can argue that we should have been out of sight in 08. It was an evenly matched game between two top teams where individual moments decided it - Drogba's red, the Terry slip, VDS's stumble, etc.

Us losing (well technically drawing) the semi the next year vs. Barca was far more egregious considering we had literally 6 penalties waved off (at least 4 of which were absolutely incontrovertibly stonewall decisions).

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
2001 FA Cup final. Arsenal should’ve beaten us comfortably and Henchoz should’ve been sent off for a deliberate handball. We robbed Arsenal that day.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
2008 CL Final Chelsea?

We should have been 3-0 up at half time. Tevez and Carrick missed sitters and we were all over them. Lampard deflected goal right before half time then Chelsea expectedly gets back into the game in the second half. They were on top then Drogba gets sent off we take the game to them and Giggs gets a shot cleared off the line in extra time. Then Terry slips.

Horrible shout. There have been WAY more lopsided trophy losers over the years.

We were the best side in the world from 2007 to 2008.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Croatia WC 2018.

:nervous:
You guys were excellent in that game. The set pieces were your undoing and France just had a ridiculous amount of quality in depth as Kante was terrible but Nzonzi was excellent coming on at the end to see the game out.

The hand ball was harsh.

I really do think Pogba won the game with that ridiculous 60 yard pass that he ended up finishing the chance with his left foot.

Croatia made an excellent account of themselves.

led_scholes

I ve seen people mentioning 2007 and 2008. Guess i remember the games different, but as I recall Milan just outplayed Liverpool and us vs Chelsea was a monologue until Chelsea scored with a double deflection and then had a better 2nd half but extra time was pretty even, if not United the better team.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
you even don't know the date of this final.it was in 2005.

valencia won in 2004
Oh I got it mixed up, I tend to remove it from my memory.

either way we should of beaten those farmers.

Irwin99

People saying Chelsea in 2008 :houllier: As even a game you can get. I also have to say some of Chelsea's penalties were horrible and VDS should have saved 2-3 more. You could tell he was angry with himself with some of those, although in fairness nani's penalty was nearly saved too.

FreddieTheReddie

United 2009 UCL. Not because we were better than Barca but Chelsea should have played in the final and I think we were better than them. Thanks Ovrebo.

always_hoping

United in the Premier League on the last day of the 1994/95 season. If Cantona didnt Kung Fu that far-right knobhead earlier in the year the Prem title would've been ours.

United Premier League 1997/98. Smashed the first half of the season at home and abroad. But the squad succumbed to too many injuries in the end. If Fergie bought a couple of signings during the campaign to strengthen the squad we would've won the title. Instead lost out to Arsenal by a point.

Imagine if we won those two titles it would've been an incredible 9 in row! 1993 - 2001
This, still should have won that 1994/95 title without Cantona, would have won it comfortably if he didn't get suspended.

Injuries was killer in 1997/98. The 1991/92 season another that Man United should have won so could have been 10 in a row

Alive and Kicking

Why? We had 2 shots cleared off the line, they hit the post twice. It was an even a game as you get.
It was about as even as it gets, right down to the penalties. Van der Sar almost saves one, Cech almost saves the next one. A game literally decided by inches.

Giggs86

Chelsea 2008 :lol:

Only reason it was still a match after 45 minutes is a shocking combo miss by Tevez/Carrick and Lampard scoring a typical jammy deflected goal totally against the run of play. Plus Giggsy should have won it before the game went to extra time. IF Terry wouldn't have slipped on his ass it would've been the biggest smash and grab of the decade.

Josep Dowling

Bayern should have won the CL final against Chelsea 2012. Biggest fluke I have ever seen in CL and most undeserved winner.

It's no surprise this Chelsea got embarrassed 1-4 in UEFA Super Cup by Atletico, lost the Club's World Cup and got eliminated from CL group stage next, with Di Matteo sacked. They just didn't deserve it from the start. They even finished 6th the season they won this CL!
That Champions League campaign was a bizarre one. I remember Glen Hoddle saying it must be written in the stars for them to win the Champions League after they beat Barcelona.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Italy in Euro 2000. Del Piero wasted two sitters to kill the game and France didn’t look like scoring until injury time.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Chelsea 2008 UCL Final. Better team overall by far.
‘By far’, really?

Haven’t watched the game in a while but from what I remember it was a pretty even game overall. We dominated the first half and should have had a couple of goals but they took it in at 1-1. Think they had the better of the second and probably scraped extra time, but don’t remember them being the significantly better side on the night.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
1994 FA Cup final. Ref fecked us.
Only on Sinclair's foul, that wasnt a pen as admitted by the ref who gave it afterwards. Newtons was stonewall.

Game of 2 halves though, they couldnt deal with us first half, all over them, but 2nd was different animal altogether. Kharine didnt do his homework on Cantona pens either haha. Think we did league double over them that year, didnt we?

GueRed

This, still should have won that 1994/95 title without Cantona, would have won it comfortably if he didn't get suspended.

Injuries was killer in 1997/98. The 1991/92 season another that Man United should have won so could have been 10 in a row
YES! 10 in a row imagine

A ridiculous fixture congestion out did us in the end. Leeds deserved it pipping us in the final hurdle but we were the better team over the course of the season.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The 2009, 2014 and 2019 premier league titles.

Aboutreika18

Only on Sinclair's foul, that wasnt a pen as admitted by the ref who gave it afterwards. Newtons was stonewall.

Game of 2 halves though, they couldnt deal with us first half, all over them, but 2nd was different animal altogether. Kharine didnt do his homework on Cantona pens either haha. Think we did league double over them that year, didnt we?
Didn't Peacock hit the bar as well? Would have been a hat-trick of goals after he scored the winner in both league games.

POF

Milan in the Champions League final in 2005. Absolutely dominated for 45 minutes and were unlucky to only be 3-0 up. Got caught cold by a crazy few minutes conceding 3 goals and then dominated the rest of the game only to lose on penalties.

How Shevchenko missed that chance at the end I will never know.

stevoc

Chelsea 2008 UCL Final. Better team overall by far.
By far?

It's arguable if they were even the better team at all. We were battering them first half until they got a flukey deflected Lampard special. They were better 2nd half and extra time was fairly even.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Chelsea, Champions League 2008 (Hate to say it but yes).
Chelsea 2008
Not sure how this is even getting a mention. It was a very even game, we were better in the first half, they were better in the second one and could’ve been luckier in the shoot out but they weren't.

Sporting should of won the UEFA cup final in 04.

They lost to a farmer club CSKA moskow.
Is this actually based on the final or on your general stance about club's statures? I assume that you mean the 2005 final and not the 2004 one, I don't really remember Sporting dominating that, even though CSKA were the underdogs going in.

As for the clear and big misses (including the ones from an ancient history):

1954 World Cup.
Literally everything went West Germany's way and even then they needed a questionable offside decision to win that. The group stage result between the same sides (Hungary beat them 8:3) was probably closer to reality.

1968 Euros.
Yugoslavia were the best team of the tournament and they have been a much better side in the original final that ended up with a draw — Italians had managed to score from a scrappy free kick to equalise later on. In the replay they had fielded pretty much a completely new fresh XI which included one of the best players in the world (Riva) and won fair and square — but that replay shouldn't have happened in the first place.

1988 Euros.
Another funny case where the finalists played each other in the group stages with a mirrored result. USSR won the group game, although they probably shouldn't have as Netherlands played better... but Netherlands returned them that favour by winning in the final, where Soviets were the better side. Even Michels himself commented on how unfair the final outcome of that game was (comparing it to the 1974 World Cup final).

This one barely gets any mentions because of:
1. Netherlands finally winning an international tournament (something they deserved to do a very long time ago)
2. van Basten's volley :drool:

1999, 2005, 2012 CL finals — I don't think that I really need to expand on them.

Number32

Juventus, 1998 CL Final
Brazil, 1998 WC Final
Bayern, 1999 CL Final
Italy, 2000 Euro Final
Valencia, 2001 CL final
Portugal, 2004 Euro final
Milan, 2005 CL Final
United, 2009 CL Final
Bayern, 2012 CL Final