Television True Detective: Night Country | Season 4 | FINALE SPOILERS

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

:drool:
The spiral motif from Season 1 is back; could be opening the door for the future return of Rust and Marty.

Releases on Max January 14th.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I'm minded to be very charitable to series two and say it was ok(ish :lol:) and I liked series three just fine, so I'll certainly have a bit of this. I'm excited to see Fiona Shaw and Christopher Eccleston too.

atkar83

Did you watch Season 3? After the Season 2 debacle, I couldn't bring myself to attempt it. I'm afraid to even play this trailer!
Season 3 was much better than Season 2 I thought for 9/10 episodes. It just couldn't land it. I'll still give Season 4 a try because the 1st season is some of the best TV ever

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
I'm minded to be very charitable to series two and say it was ok(ish :lol:) and I liked series three just fine, so I'll certainly have a bit of this. I'm excited to see Fiona Shaw and Christopher Eccleston too.
I‘m with you on S2 and wonder if rewatching it now would make it even better(ish :lol:). Back then it was ultimately extremely unsatisfying because of the direct comparison/ expectations with S1. Did watch two episodes of S3 but couldn‘t keep my interest, maybe I‘ll check it out once more if you liked it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
S1: 10/10
S2: 1/10
S3: 9/10
Season one was 10/10 for most of the season but fell of a cliff at the end which was very disappointing. Season 2 was better than 1/10 but still not brilliant and season 3 was decent but nowhere near the quality of (most of) season 1.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
You're weird
Which bit?

The first 6 episodes of season 1 were brilliant. The last 2 far less so. It went from a complex and intriguing cop thriller to standard schlock horror style swamp people nonsense.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Which bit?

The first 6 episodes of season 1 were brilliant. The last 2 far less so. It went from a complex and intriguing cop thriller to standard schlock horror style swamp people nonsense.
The bit where you got weird.

I'm on my phone, so it's hard for me to counter your deluded and totally valid subjective view with my superior and totally valid subjective view.

So, I'll resort to pointless name calling, you weird fecker

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
I don't like the teaser.
Fast cuts and loud music don't suit a cold night in Alaska. Slow, quiet and mystery would have been the better choice in my opinion.
Also the protagonists look like a cheap copy of Rust and Marty to me. Both hate each other, the conversation in the car has the same vibe. To me, it just looks like a new attempt to recreate S1 and if that's so, it will fail again.

Wing Attack Plan R

Two was so terrible, but three? Fantastic!
Season 1 made me realize the short shrift I’d paid to Woody Harrelson all these years. Mcconaughetky too. It was so well done. Moody. Atmospheric. That one-shot raid scene. Showing them at 3 different ages, so so good.

Season 2, I just… Taylor Kitsch is the worst actor I’ve ever seen. He’s wooden like Keanu Reeves but without any humor. Colin Farrell, I don’t know, one film to the next he’s great or shit. This role was too much for him. The other two, Rachel McAdams and Vince Vaughn, were good but their parts were underwhelming and the story itself was stupid. I’ve met Vaughn in real life and he’s a really big dude, 6’5” or 6’6”, physically he can play a heavy, but he still has that smirk and baby face that makes those roles seem wrong for him. But Kitsch’s stuff just was shite.

The scuttlebutt is that the two guys who were responsible for season 1 had a big fight over the other person claiming more credit than they were due, so in season 2 it was a vendetta against Cary F, who had written most of season 1.

s1 10/10
S2 2/10. I liked a couple scenes.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Season 1 made me realize the short shrift I’d paid to Woody Harrelson all these years. Mcconaughetky too. It was so well done. Moody. Atmospheric. That one-shot raid scene. Showing them at 3 different ages, so so good.

Season 2, I just… Taylor Kitsch is the worst actor I’ve ever seen. He’s wooden like Keanu Reeves but without any humor. Colin Farrell, I don’t know, one film to the next he’s great or shit. This role was too much for him. The other two, Rachel McAdams and Vince Vaughn, were good but their parts were underwhelming and the story itself was stupid. I’ve met Vaughn in real life and he’s a really big dude, 6’5” or 6’6”, physically he can play a heavy, but he still has that smirk and baby face that makes those roles seem wrong for him. But Kitsch’s stuff just was shite.

The scuttlebutt is that the two guys who were responsible for season 1 had a big fight over the other person claiming more credit than they were due, so in season 2 it was a vendetta against Cary F, who had written most of season 1.

s1 10/10
To tell you the truth I shouldn't really rate s2, 'beause I only watched two episodes. S1 is rated as one of the best series ever by a couple of sites, which I can't fault

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting

s1 10/10
And how many celebs have you actually met?!

HookedOnAPhelan

Never do anything out of hunger, not even eating.
:lol:

I read that Pizzolatto and director Fukunaga had a really strained working relationship on season 1, as Fukunaga constantly tried to tone and edit down all the monologues and extra, unnecessary dialogue that Pizzolatto had written, and that the latter was gradually given more power by HBO during production. Season 2 just reeks of an unchecked ego, so it makes sense.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I‘m with you on S2 and wonder if rewatching it now would make it even better(ish :lol:). Back then it was ultimately extremely unsatisfying because of the direct comparison/ expectations with S1. Did watch two episodes of S3 but couldn‘t keep my interest, maybe I‘ll check it out once more if you liked it.
I very much like Ali and liked Stephen Dorff too. The story I thought was a nicely-told police procedural, nothing groundbreaking but fine. A personal note for me was that a deadbeat drug addict cnut of a bloke in it has the same name as my cousin :lol:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Great teaser. We will be there.

Yeah S1>>>S3>>>>>S2

Might watch S1 again as my other half hasn't seen it. I won't inflict Season 2 on her though.

SparkedIntoLife

Series 1 was very good. The creepiness and aesthetic was top drawer, as were the performances of McConaughey and Harrelson. I actually thought series 2 was OK but obviously far off the first. Series 3 started really well and Mahershala Ali was very good but ultimately there was a lack of dramatic weight.

Series 4 involves a totally different writing staff, right? I haven't seen any of Issa Lopez's work but will give it a chance. I'm kinda done with the dark snowy environments so prevalent in crime shows these days, along with the distrusting Native American residents motif. This doesn't especially seem particularly original or interesting but Jodie Foster is obviously an amazing actress. Whether I watch it or not probably depends on the reviews, honestly.

tomaldinho1

S1 probably maybe fave single series ever
S2 poor but on second watch it’s a bit better. I think if you’d not seen season 1 and watched it isolation it’s would be a idle of the road series and not as heavily slated.
S3 good, enjoyed it. Less gripping but a return to engaging characters and more thought in the plot.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Did you watch Season 3? After the Season 2 debacle, I couldn't bring myself to attempt it. I'm afraid to even play this trailer!
It was decent. I can see how some would think it better than Season 2, but I view them as roughly the same (I am also weird because I think Season 2 was decent as well).

Give it a go.

Chairman Steve

Jodie Fosters already done a great version of True Detective. It’s called The Silence of the Lambs.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I caught the first 2 or 3 episodes but wasn't really feeling it and never went back. I might try again before the new one drops.

I stopped playing the teaser once I saw the spiral. That was enough to reel me in :D