Television True Detective: Night Country | Season 4 | FINALE SPOILERS

nimic

something nice
Scout
I thought the first episode was great. The internet is predictably mad about the race/gender angle.

As far as the show, eh. I'll keep watching for now. We'll see how much of it just drills in on Jodie Foster being an out of touch racist and being moralized to by cheek piercings
Eh? At no point was the show or even anyone in it making the claim that Jodie Foster's character is racist, I'm pretty sure.

Roosney

Hmm, not sure what to think of the first ep.

I like the tension and terror aspects a lot but some characters and scenes were a bit daft.

Any supernatural element is fine with me, I just hope it's not the overly used "force of nature being pissed because the scientist have been drilling the ice too deep" or something

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Enjoyed episode 1 and seems promising. Jodie Foster was as good to watch as youwould expect. But there is one moan. I always loved the title sequences. This season's are not very good at all. The graphics look good but the song choice was terrible, not at all the right mood and there is a huge disconnect between the music and video. Almost as if the video was made and a song then just added later.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Eh? At no point was the show or even anyone in it making the claim that Jodie Foster's character is racist, I'm pretty sure.
Hmmm a lot of the terms she used to describe the local indigenous people, and her interactions with that other policewoman, did strike of casual racism.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Enjoyed episode 1 and seems promising. Jodie Foster was as good to watch as youwould expect. But there is one moan. I always loved the title sequences. This season's are not very good at all. The graphics look good but the song choice was terrible, not at all the right mood and there is a huge disconnect between the music and video. Almost as if the video was made and a song then just added later.
Hahaha i share the same gripe. The theme song just seems kind of....off. Not a fit at all for the show, the theme of the show or the opening graphics. Such an odd choice.

arnie_ni

Hmmm a lot of the terms she used to describe the local indigenous people, and her interactions with that other policewoman, did strike of casual racism.
I got the impression she just hated everyone equally. Just a miserable sod that hates people. Not one group in particular

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I got the impression she just hated everyone equally. Just a miserable sod that hates people. Not one group in particular
Yeah possible - but some of the wording she used was racially targeted, no? I mean, it might stem from general misanthropy, but it still stood out.

hobbers

Feels like they ran out of ideas for the genre and then watched alien

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Finally watched e1 and agree with this. I generally feel like its pretty good so far. I am definitely curious to see what happens next now. I do wonder a bit about the decision to seemingly move towards the supernatural more than in the other seasons but I'll watch it anyway because it makes it feel a bit X Filesy (of which I was a huge fan).

Music is indeed the biggest detractor. Songs by themselves are pretty cool sounding but it is not quite "eerie" enough to match the dark and remote setting.

Dan

Didn’t think i’d be seeing Christopher Eccleston’s arse today. :nervous:

wr8_utd

:'(

Roosney

I enjoyed Episode 2 a lot and it seemed to focus slightly lesser on the supernatural and more on an actual crime. I guess the good thing with it being just six episodes is that they won't really drag it out but I hope they don't rush it either.

Also, includes spoilers, but some interesting theories and connections about things from S1 I'd completely forgotten about.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a46456599/true-detective-season-4-travis-cohle-rust-theory/
Yeah the carcosa spirals and the wooden traps in the camper pretty much made the link obvious between this and season 1.

Episode two was alright I guess, just some bizarre stuff e.g. melting the corpses totally exposed to the public and of course a tattoo artist remembering a customer from seven years ago. Maybe it was the $600 spiral tattoo :houllier:

Roosney

Also wtf was the frozen corpse scream about? Is he alive or not? I guess Danver was on the phone with some nurse about him but then it was completely forgotten about.

wr8_utd

Yeah the carcosa spirals and the wooden traps in the camper pretty much made the link obvious between this and season 1.

Episode two was alright I guess, just some bizarre stuff e.g. melting the corpses totally exposed to the public and of course a tattoo artist remembering a customer from seven years ago. Maybe it was the $600 spiral tattoo :houllier:
Yeah this was completely bizarre unless she was taking notes on all her customers. The tattoo wasn't even particularly remarkable or memorable.

Also wtf was the frozen corpse scream about? Is he alive or not? I guess Danver was on the phone with some nurse about him but then it was completely forgotten about.
Yup, Lund is alive and in the coma, no? She had the conversation with the surgeon about him needing an amputation. If he does recover, maybe he'd know what happened. But given the induced coma right now, there's no point further exploring that angle.

Any examples which stuck in your mind? I only remember her either saying Inuit or referencing specific tribes.
I don't know about specific references to tribes etc but there are definite undertones of racism and the problems between the white folk and the indigenous population, no? You see enough subtle references to it.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah this was completely bizarre unless she was taking notes on all her customers. The tattoo wasn't even particularly remarkable or memorable.

Yup, Lund is alive and in the coma, no? She had the conversation with the surgeon about him needing an amputation. If he does recover, maybe he'd know what happened. But given the induced coma right now, there's no point further exploring that angle.

I don't know about specific references to tribes etc but there are definite undertones of racism and the problems between the white folk and the indigenous population, no? You see enough subtle references to it.
I mean, yeah, the culture clash is front and centre. Just don’t remember Jodie Foster’s character dropping any clues that she was racist. If anything, the knowledge she seemed to have about the indigenous people made her seem the opposite. Could be wrong though. My memory isn’t what it used to be!

wr8_utd

I mean, yeah, the culture clash is front and centre. Just don’t remember Jodie Foster’s character dropping any clues that she was racist. If anything, the knowledge she seemed to have about the indigenous people made her seem the opposite. Could be wrong though. My memory isn’t what it used to be!
I'm not sure if it entirely counts as her being racist but she's not happy about her daughter spending time with that grandmother and trying to discover her culture (the whole thing in Episode 2 as well). Maybe she has her (justified) reasons for this which we find out later (or already have and I missed it).

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I’m enjoying it but the soundtrack seems way off for a show like this. Not just the main theme but most of the music they use doesn’t fit. It’s a weird one.

also not impressed with Kali Reis as an actor, very wooden.

liking the tie ins to season one. Tuttle being the company that funds this lab and also the family running the **** in s1 I think?

wr8_utd

I’m enjoying it but the soundtrack seems way off for a show like this. Not just the main theme but most of the music they use doesn’t fit. It’s a weird one.

also not impressed with Kali Reis as an actor, very wooden.

liking the tie ins to season one. Tuttle being the company that funds this lab and also the family running the **** in s1 I think?
Yep, the same. And also the bit about Travis (the dead fellow who guided Rose) being the father of Mathew McConaughey's character from S1!

Simbo

Not started this yet but if they are pushing this show toward an X-Files type theme, then I'm here for it, bigtime.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I'm not reading this because I don't want spoilers. I just want to know if it's worth watching
It's watchable; not a true return to S1 form, but not terrible. It's like The Thing and Insomnia had a baby and the spinoff starred Jodie Foster but Fiona Shaw was low-key stealing the show.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
"She is awake"

My first thought was "mother nature" or "some ancient virus" but now Im thinking maybe some Artificial Intelligence gone rogue?

Tuttle corporation is like Blackrock... they have their tentacles in everything so wouldn't surprise me they are investing in some secret AI.

Looking forward to know what the feck is going on.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
"Not terrible" is bloody disappointing
Nah, it‘s good. It‘s not great tholugh and that‘s what people were hoping for after all.

Second ep got better pacing. But the soundtrack…abysmal in sections which is a shame. Whoever was in charge there should take a long hard look into the mirror.

HookedOnAPhelan

I thought the first two eps were very good and intriguing. Certainly the most invested I've been since season 1.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Nah, it‘s good. It‘s not great tholugh and that‘s what people were hoping for after all.

Second ep got better pacing. But the soundtrack…abysmal in sections which is a shame. Whoever was in charge there should take a long hard look into the mirror.
I like season 3 a lot, so if it could reach that standard I'd be happy. I'm not expecting a season 1

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
I like season 3 a lot, so if it could reach that standard I'd be happy. I'm not expecting a season 1
Haven’t dinished S3 but seemed very solid. S4 ties into S1 so that‘s an interesting angle..although I‘m not expecting some brilliant conclusion/narrative but who knows what they come up with. Enjoy the ride I‘d say.

Redplane

Anyone else disappointed with the sheer hate, or minimum strong dislike this season seems to get in not just in comments but by some journos as well? I mean come on it's not going down as one of the greatest shows in TV history, but it's still quite good so far. Just makes you feel like a lot of is criticism is driven by ideological beliefs more than the quality of the show itself.

Roosney

Anyone else disappointed with the sheer hate, or minimum strong dislike this season seems to get in not just in comments but by some journos as well? I mean come on it's not going down as one of the greatest shows in TV history, but it's still quite good so far. Just makes you feel like a lot of is criticism is driven by ideological beliefs more than the quality of the show itself.
Hate feels too strong but the dislike and disappointment is justified. If I didn't like S1 so much I might have quit watching already.
The plot and setup are great but I just don't get some of the goofy and silly scripting. Like why? To get more viewers? Too low budget and good ideas turn into a cringe mess?

This is extremely silly nitpicking but for sake of example the very first ice rink scene:
- Leah's ice hockey match is over, her exit out the rink got everything wrong
- 10 secs after the match the ice is fixed and clean and got some fancy xmas decoration in the middle
- When Liz is talking to that rink owner, 20 secs after their match her two sons with huge age difference are shouting "mom" and banging their hockey sticks on the plexiglass.
- as an extra point: why melt chunk of ice over ice?

Like why? Whyyyyyy? I'm fine with flying ancient ice demons but the dumb stuff I listed separates a good and a bad show. It's all in the details.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
People are hating it? Apart from the mismatch between the title video and the music it is great so far. What is there to hate?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Hate feels too strong but the dislike and disappointment is justified. If I didn't like S1 so much I might have quit watching already.
The plot and setup are great but I just don't get some of the goofy and silly scripting. Like why? To get more viewers? Too low budget and good ideas turn into a cringe mess?

This is extremely silly nitpicking but for sake of example the very first ice rink scene:
- Leah's ice hockey match is over, her exit out the rink got everything wrong
- 10 secs after the match the ice is fixed and clean and got some fancy xmas decoration in the middle
- When Liz is talking to that rink owner, 20 secs after their match her two sons with huge age difference are shouting "mom" and banging their hockey sticks on the plexiglass.
- as an extra point: why melt chunk of ice over ice?

Like why? Whyyyyyy? I'm fine with flying ancient ice demons but the dumb stuff I listed separates a good and a bad show. It's all in the details.
Who gives a toss about slight discrepancies in the timing of the end of a kiddies ice hockey game? And you defrost bodies for autopsy slowly as doing it fast allows the outer layers to decompose quickly, even before the interior of the body is defrosted. Doing this on an ice rink isn't exactly ideal but in the absence of better facilities you work with what you have got.

Redplane

People are hating it? Apart from the mismatch between the title video and the music it is great so far. What is there to hate?
The actual journos won't publish these words but I've seen plenty of viewer reviews that clearly take issue with 3 things: two women as the leads, having a native as one of them opposing Foster, showing lesbian relationships, and showing both women as taking the reigns of their relationship with the men in their life (oh no, the patriarchy blah blah blah). "It's too woke" apparently. I've even seen people calling Kali Reis (Navarro) - ugly and fat after the one more skin bearing scene in S1. It's all disappointingly blatant. Some journos in turn seem to be grasping at straws to criticize the show in turn because they know they can't say the same things.

I don't think this show is beyond criticism however. As long as it's on the substance of the show (like criticizing the music score several of us have done to name an example).

Last edited:

The Firestarter

The actual journos won't publish these words but I've seen plenty of viewer reviews that clearly take issue with 3 things: two women as the leads, having a native as one of them opposing Foster, showing lesbian relationships, and showing both women as taking the reigns of their relationship with the men in their life (oh no, the patriarchy blah blah blah). "It's too woke" apparently. I've even seen people calling Kali Reis (Navarro) - ugly and fat after the one more skin bearing scene in S1. It's all disappointingly blatant. Some journos in turn seem to be grasping at straws to criticize the show in turn because they know they can't say the same things.

I don't think this show is beyond criticism however. As long as it's on the substance of the show (like criticizing the music score several of us have done to name an example)
The problem with the Navarro actress is her diabolical acting.