Television True Detective: Night Country | Season 4 | FINALE SPOILERS

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The actual journos won't publish these words but I've seen plenty of viewer reviews that clearly take issue with 3 things: two women as the leads, having a native as one of them opposing Foster, showing lesbian relationships, and showing both women as taking the reigns of their relationship with the men in their life (oh no, the patriarchy blah blah blah). "It's too woke" apparently. I've even seen people calling Kali Reis (Navarro) - ugly and fat after the one more skin bearing scene in S1. It's all disappointingly blatant. Some journos in turn seem to be grasping at straws to criticize the show in turn because they know they can't say the same things.

I don't think this show is beyond criticism however. As long as it's on the substance of the show (like criticizing the music score several of us have done to name an example).
That is nuts. Then again people who would notice and hate those things probably do have mental issues.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
stopped reading IMDB reviews et al (for mainstream content) a long time ago. I get the criticism about details but e.g. the ice being in perfect condition after an icehockey match isn‘t bothering me. But I also think the scenes are played out lazy in parts and that just wasn‘t as present in the seasons before. At least didn‘t caught my eye as easy as here.

For example the excavation scene where all of a sudden one cop starts to chainsaw that block of ice/bodies just next to Jodie Foster and then another cop starts to make funny selfies with the corpses. Felt totally out of place and a lazy way to make Foster look like a hardcore professional. And I‘m not criticizing the acts in themselves but rather how they were played out.
Barfight scene looked very staged too etc pp

Roosney

Who gives a toss about slight discrepancies in the timing of the end of a kiddies ice hockey game? And you defrost bodies for autopsy slowly as doing it fast allows the outer layers to decompose quickly, even before the interior of the body is defrosted. Doing this on an ice rink isn't exactly ideal but in the absence of better facilities you work with what you have got.
Fair enough, if I recall correctly Danver said they should melt in 48 hours.

And I give a toss about small discrepancies if they come dime a dozen. The ice rink had many in a matter of few seconds not to mention the other scenes and plot armors. Those suck the enjoyment out of the series.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Enjoyed the first two episodes.

The ice body collage and the setting gave me John Carpenters 'The Thing' vibes.
Looking forward to the screaming dude haunting my dreams this evening.

Really loving the show so far, the tie-ins to S1 are way more overt than I expected. If we don't get a Rust Cohle cameo in episode 6 I'll be disappoint.

The worst thing is easily HBO showing off a bunch of music they own the rights to. Constantly bad choices, often at times where music isn't necessary at all. On a more positive note, the actual score towards the end, at the trailer, was much better. And it's never a bad time to listen to Seven Devils. The Billie Eilish theme song can get in the bin too.

Hate having to wait a week but I don't have the will power to wait 4 weeks for them all to be released.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Enjoyed the first two episodes.

The ice body collage and the setting gave me John Carpenters 'The Thing' vibes.
It‘s a mix of The Thing and X-Files (THAT ep. - which is quite likely also based on Carpenter) for me.
Never saw Fortitude though which got mentioned as well.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Anyone else disappointed with the sheer hate, or minimum strong dislike this season seems to get in not just in comments but by some journos as well? I mean come on it's not going down as one of the greatest shows in TV history, but it's still quite good so far. Just makes you feel like a lot of is criticism is driven by ideological beliefs more than the quality of the show itself.
It's the highest rated season on RT, 93% fresh. Haven't seen any hate for it online but then again I haven't gone looking.

Kaos

Is Season 3 any good then? I thought season 1 was brilliant, but the second season was turd, so I instinctively skipped the third season expecting the downward trend to continue. I am enjoying the new season so far though so figured I might give the third season a go in between waiting for the new episodes.

tomaldinho1

stopped reading IMDB reviews et al (for mainstream content) a long time ago. I get the criticism about details but e.g. the ice being in perfect condition after an icehockey match isn‘t bothering me. But I also think the scenes are played out lazy in parts and that just wasn‘t as present in the seasons before. At least didn‘t caught my eye as easy as here.

For example the excavation scene where all of a sudden one cop starts to chainsaw that block of ice/bodies just next to Jodie Foster and then another cop starts to make funny selfies with the corpses. Felt totally out of place and a lazy way to make Foster look like a hardcore professional. And I‘m not criticizing the acts in themselves but rather how they were played out.
Barfight scene looked very staged too etc pp
I thought this as well. If you’re a cop in a quiet town and a bunch of bodies get frozen into a grotesque sculpture, you’re going to be freaked the feck out, not taking selfies!

Im reserving judgement so far but am a bit worried about the vibe they’re going for. Can’t help but fear a lot will be left unanswered and just explained by the supernatural.

tomaldinho1

Is Season 3 any good then? I thought season 1 was brilliant, but the second season was turd, so I instinctively skipped the third season expecting the downward trend to continue. I am enjoying the new season so far though so figured I might give the third season a go in between waiting for the new episodes.
3 was good I thought. It’s just when you compare to season 1 it doesn’t stand up as well. Solid 7/10 season and good acting leads.

Kaos

3 was good I thought. It’s just when you compare to season 1 it doesn’t stand up as well. Solid 7/10 season and good acting leads.
Cheers, thats good enough for me I guess. I'll just use it as filler to kill time between season 4's episodes.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I thought this as well. If you’re a cop in a quiet town and a bunch of bodies get frozen into a grotesque sculpture, you’re going to be freaked the feck out, not taking selfies!

Im reserving judgement so far but am a bit worried about the vibe they’re going for. Can’t help but fear a lot will be left unanswered and just explained by the supernatural.
Well, the first responders to the Kobe helicopter crash whipped out their phones, gleefully snapping away & sening out the pics post haste (LA is bigger than Ennis, but cop mentality is cop mentality everywhere).

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Well, the first responders to the Kobe helicopter crash whipped out their phones, gleefully snapping away & sening out the pics post haste (LA is bigger than Ennis, but cop mentality is cop mentality everywhere).
Like I said I don‘t have a problem with the act itself but the way it was played out on that specific scene was just laughable bad.

wr8_utd

:'(
I actually finished season 3 recently thinking it's actually Season 4. It's not a bad watch at all and the acting is solid all around. Of course, nothing will match Season 1.

tomaldinho1

I'm not sure a global celebrity dying in a helicopter crash is equivalent to some scientists being grotesquely formed into a weird ice statue butt naked...

Mike Smalling

Got around to watching the first two episodes yesterday. So far, I quite like it.

A few reflections:
- I really like the setting. Similar to the first season, the setting is quite unique and becomes almost a character in itself. The show does a solid job of establishing Ennis as this small community where everyone knows each other and things are kind of crap.
- So far, I like the dynamic around the two main characters. Having two partners that butt heads is a trope, but this is slightly different with them having different motivations and one clearly being senior and the others superior. Jodie Foster puts in a good performance too.
- They try a little too hard to make the connection Season 1 with Rust's dad, the spirals, the Tuttle corporation, etc. It would be better to have an entirely separate story, in my opinion. Season 3 did it well, when there was just a small hint of it.
- The show leans a little bit into the "woke" stuff, for lack of a better word. Besides the young cop, the men are basically either assholes or just used for sex, while the women are boss girls. It's not that grating yet, but it straddles the line.

HookedOnAPhelan

Some of the visuals in this season are creeping me the feck out.

Only 3 more episodes to go. Think it's been a good season so far, but I have my doubts on whether they'll be able to land everything effectively.

Roosney

It's turning into a hot mess, innit?

Navarro driving around and without any logic or explanation happens to arrive always at the right place at the right time scene after scene
Also the story is not going anywhere and is getting repetitive. The hints at "her being back" and the tap water becoming brown and the bodies slowly melting episode after episode.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Decent episode, albeit it's heading into supernatural territory/references a wee bit too much for my liking.
Yeah I don't know yet if things are actually supernatural or if it's just from the perspective of someone who suffers with mental illness. I'm thinking the latter.

mu4c_20le

Anyone else having zero interest in the supernatural stuff? Compared to the first season, it's way too in your face, and over the top.

Also surprised we're already past the halfway mark, was fully expecting Jodie Foster's character to come around by now and stop acting like a cnut to everyone.

wr8_utd

:'(
I'm enjoying the show itself but I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy just how much down the supernatural path they're seemingly going. Unless of course everyone's just hallucinating because of the poisoned waters.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Anyone else having zero interest in the supernatural stuff? Compared to the first season, it's way too in your face, and over the top.

Also surprised we're already past the halfway mark, was fully expecting Jodie Foster's character to come around by now and stop acting like a cnut to everyone.
Eventually I came to love it in S1. But it‘s something entirely different if ir’s happening in the very final 10mins of a show and still manages to open up different paths of interpretations or if it‘s basically a heavy part already from the start.
That said so far I don‘t hate it either in S4 but the show is in total a bit heavy handed so I don‘t expect a brilliant final resolve of the case. They all drink muddy water so are collectively imagining things..I don‘t think so.

But some entertaining parts are there, enjoyed the nod to The Exorcist.

Not so big on Foster‘s character though. They‘re all way too cardboardish to let me relate to them.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I still can’t figure out if it’s good or not but it’s definitely making me want more.

I refuse to believe it’s actually supernatural. It’s surely something to do with the water they’re drinking or people going a bit mad because they haven’t had sunlight in so long.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah I don't know yet if things are actually supernatural or if it's just from the perspective of someone who suffers with mental illness. I'm thinking the latter.
yeah, too “blatantly” in your face for it to be supernatural, surely? But intrigued to see where it goes and how it’s solved. Really hope it doesn’t go down the supernatural route. Still intrigued for now.

Yeah the hospital scene with Lund & Navarro was just plain…..weird :lol:

tomaldinho1

It all depends, for me at least, if they plausibly explain a lot of it.

I watched it last night and that bit in the car with both leads where Foster is scoffing at her saying 'you talk to God' and Navarro says 'no, I listen' just felt so bog standard writing, something that sounds cool but then doesn't really make sense. I think there's a good story in there without all the supernatural stuff though, would love to see a lot more of the Native American side of the story and culture, hopefully we get more in the last few episodes. Kind of wished they'd not made the link to the other season(s) with the spiral/tattoo at all to be honest and it had just been a stand alone case.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch

I watched it last night and that bit in the car with both leads where Foster is scoffing at her saying 'you talk to God' and Navarro says 'no, I listen' just felt so bog standard writing, something that sounds cool but then doesn't really make sense. I think there's a good story in there without all the supernatural stuff though, would love to see a lot more of the Native American side of the story and culture, hopefully we get more in the last few episodes. Kind of wished they'd not made the link to the other season(s) with the spiral/tattoo at all to be honest and it had just been a stand alone case.
That dialogue was terrible :lol:

Honestly I am enjoying it but Navarro is a poor character and actor.

tomaldinho1

That dialogue was terrible :lol:

Honestly I am enjoying it but Navarro is a poor character and actor.
I thought they missed a trick when she with the whole ' I don't know my actual name' and then Jens wakes up but calls her Evangeline and not her actual name. Would have been a cool way to give it.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
First ep was a 6/10 for me, second 7/10 which gave some hope but last one more like 5/10 so I feel sorry for encouraging @Shakesy to watch it.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft

That and the Travis Cohle shit, the "in English doc" bit, the "your mother says hello" bit.. jesus it's just absolutely awful writing all around. God only knows what amounts HBO paid to get the critic reviews it has gotten. Had high hopes when I heard Foster was involved but she can't rescue this steaming shitpile.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
That and the Travis Cohle shit, the "in English doc" bit, the "your mother says hello" bit.. jesus it's just absolutely awful writing all around. God only knows what amounts HBO paid to get the critic reviews it has gotten. Had high hopes when I heard Foster was involved but she can't rescue this steaming shitpile.
Gotta somewhat agree, it's not blowing hot air up my skirt either. The supernatural element of this is disappointing. Ranking it on par with season two after 3 episodes.

atkar83

I thought Season 3 was great, they just couldn't land it the way Season 1 did. Eps 1-9 are worth watching but 10 is disappointing (or whatever the finale was, I can't remember how many eps)

Roosney

Why all the dislike of the season 1 finale? Rust was seeing those trippy visions and color waves all season and was obviously spiritual in his own nihilist way.
The ending about the light was winning was cheesy yeah but the rest was perfectly in tune with the first season