Television True Detective: Night Country | Season 4 | FINALE SPOILERS

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Come on, it is much worse.
Nah, I'm not having the 2nd season revisionism. It was gash. Was that in part due to the expectation after season 1? Absolutely. Am I going to watch it again to see if it's actually a 5/10 rather than a 4/10? Absolutely not.

There was a lot to complain about in this season but I still had way more fun with it that the abject failure that was s2.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think they were both equally awful and neither really had any redeeming features. The setting was probably a bit cooler in season four, I guess, but Frank's comically bad lines in S2 were at least funny.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I think they were both equally awful and neither really had any redeeming features. The setting was probably a bit cooler in season four, I guess, but Frank's comically bad lines in S2 were at least funny.
The gun battle part makes S2 edge it at the end for me. That was quite an engrossing scene.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Oh and what a depressing place to live
I was thinking that throughout, and thought the same when I watched Insomnia all those years ago. I wonder what kind of mindset and life outlook you need to have to live in those places and be happy (assuming you weren't raised there, that is).

Roosney

I was thinking that throughout, and thought the same when I watched Insomnia all those years ago. I wonder what kind of mindset and life outlook you need to have to live in those places and be happy (assuming you weren't raised there, that is).
To be fair it gets light in the day time during the polar night, not actual sun shine but a grayish light if you will.
In the show it seems like it's pitch black all the time, except for that one scene where it seemed be sunny outside.

During the summer in Lapland it's a major mindfeck to walk out the nightclub at 3am with the sun shining in your face.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Had hoped for a lot more in that finale. More than “it was the cleaning ladies who figured it out and hunted them out into the snow”, showing a cleaner picking up the tool and realising it was the murder weapon, feck off like :lol:

Navarro is the one ‘awake’ in the end, but decides to just feck off and walk around the place.

Just felt like they had to end it and no time to explain any weird bits the writers decided to put in along the way. Dodgey water like Fortitude. Felt stronger than season 2 but that finale went off a cliff like season 2

Roosney

Had hoped for a lot more in that finale. More than “it was the cleaning ladies who figured it out and hunted them out into the snow”, showing a cleaner picking up the tool and realising it was the murder weapon, feck off like :lol:

Navarro is the one ‘awake’ in the end, but decides to just feck off and walk around the place.

Just felt like they had to end it and no time to explain any weird bits the writers decided to put in along the way. Dodgey water like Fortitude. Felt stronger than season 2 but that finale went off a cliff like season 2
I think they just slapped cool and spooky stuff together without any further thought. Like the scene where Navarro had ear bleed in front of a neon light decorated xmas tree put up on an abandoned dredge by a lunatic junkie. There was no point nor any mystery to that.

lsd

The Oracle
Finished it and while the acting was fantastic so good in fact it never really hit me until the last episode that for a show called True Detective there was actually no detecting going on throughout the season.

The deaths happened in the first scene and for most of the time we watch the main characters and their personal lives while there is a lot of talk about a previous case we didn't see.

Then every so often they would remember oh yeah the case and wander round a cave.

Still very watchable for the performances but like the previous sessions nowhere near the first season.

Hopefully next time the cast might actually concentrate on working the case a lot more.

Last edited:

Bert_

Why did they all decide to climb on top of each other and stike a pose for thier death? Was half expecting Boba Fett to turn up looking for his bounty.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Why did they all decide to climb on top of each other and stike a pose for thier death? Was half expecting Boba Fett to turn up looking for his bounty.
It‘s been explained in the show: Some kind of freak weather event. Nothing supernatural at all.

But could fully see Boba appear as well if they‘d the rights to it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
One of the very worst seasons of Television I've ever had the displeasure of watching.

Story, writing, directing, acting (seriously, everyone is absolutely terrible in this), characters, it's all absolute gash.