"Try and aspire to get to City's standards"

KanieKaned

For that statement alone I would sack the cnut. Ourselves and historic clubs like Liverpool set these precedents that teams strive to emulate. Not money bags clubs like this lot.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
I think he had no right to talk on behalf of the club in that statement, especially considering the bitter rivalry between us and City, and considering we have totally dominated them months ago before he came along, and considering they're still sh*t in Europe, and considering even this year we have managed to advance further in the CL than them...

I think if he said: "I try and aspire to be at the level of Pelligrini (who is incidentally on his first year at City as well)", I think I wouldn't have a problem with that, because he would be only embarrassing himself.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Some people think a mountain is being made out of a molehill...but surely that kind of statement is telling the players they aren't good enough and need to do more.

Which is probably right - but wouldn't motivation be more about telling them they are good enough?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I guess everyone's seen the joke doing the rounds on Twitter about this?

If Moyes really wants Manchester United to aspire to be more like City, they could start by sacking an under-performing manager.
I like that last paragraph. It's straight to the point.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
If I wasn't worried before, I am now.

Pogue has been virtually agreeing with people who are concerned :nervous:

;)

Moriarty

I think he had no right to talk on behalf of the club in that statement, especially considering the bitter rivalry between us and City, and considering we have totally dominated them months ago before he came along, and considering they're still sh*t in Europe, and considering even this year we have managed to advance further in the CL than them...

I think if he said: "I try and aspire to be at the level of Pelligrini (who is incidentally on his first year at City as well)", I think I wouldn't have a problem with that, because he would be only embarrassing himself.
He had no right to make that statement to United supporters. Imagine if he'd once said that Everton ought to aspire to Liverpool's standards, or Rangers to Celtic's, because that what it amounts to. He's a cretin.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Premier League - Dzeko: City the boss of Manchester

Edin Dzeko thinks Tuesday's derby demolition at Old Trafford proves Manchester City are kings of Manchester.

"It's always good to win in a derby, especially when you win it like we did," Dzeko told City TV.

"It was great for the fans to be here and to celebrate again.

"We are happy for them because a derby is something special and we showed them again who is the boss in the city.

"We could have scored another two in the first 30 minutes but we controlled the game, it was all about us.

"It could have been more but we were happy with 3-0."
*Moyes nods in agreement and total awe and admiration.*

bobbyf

He had no right to make that statement to United supporters. Imagine if he'd once said that Everton ought to aspire to Liverpool's standards, or Rangers to Celtic's, because that what it amounts to. He's a cretin.
Another mistake to add to so many. He must be the only manager to get absolutely everything wrong. Obviously the pressure of the job is getting to him but still he hasn't resigned.

MiamiSpartan

When Moyes took over, he apparently aspired to get to the level of Everton. Now that he's achieved that, he's setting a new goal.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
We don't aspire to be anybody we are MANCHESTER UNITED, we are not second to anybody we are MANCHESTER UNITED EO
He didn't say we aspire to be Manchester City.

If you can't see the difference between saying...ah, feck it...why should I even bother?

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
This is another foot in mouth moment for Moyes. He really is atrocious in the spotlight.

onlyoneunited

He should be sacked for this comment. God when he first joined how i hoped he would turn out to be the right manager, but comments like this just show his demeanour and where he is taking the club (now this time next year we could be saying he's a genius, and I will be happy to say I was wrong).

If he wanted to say the right thing, anyone with an little bit of sense in his position would have said "We need to try to aspire to the standards Manchester United have set in the past". The fact he said City, just shows how small minded a manager he is, its never about being the best with him, its always about matching or trying to match the best, and with that mentality you will always fall short.

You think Fergie walked in the door on his first day and said we're going to try to be the best, hell no. He walked in and said we're gonna knock them off their perch.

MiamiSpartan

If he wanted to say the right thing, anyone with an little bit of sense in his position would have said "We need to try to aspire to the standards Manchester United have set in the past". The fact he said City, just shows how small minded a manager he is, its never about being the best with him, its always about matching or trying to match the best, and with that mentality you will always fall short.
Exactly. This will be the first time in the last 23 seasons that City will finish with more points than United. WTF is it about the standard of Manchester City that is so appealing?

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
I think he simply meant that City played extremely well, and we should aspire to play to that standard as opposed to the standard we played in that match. Fair comment IMO.

Lu Tze

I think he simply meant that City played extremely well, and we should aspire to play to that standard as opposed to the standard we played in that match. Fair comment IMO.
That's obviously what he meant. Not that its stopped everyone going completely mental. These people read what they want to read.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
As a club we should aspire to Chelsea's standards when it comes to sacking managers.

MiamiSpartan

That's obviously what he meant. Not that its stopped everyone going completely mental. These people read what they want to read.
There are dozens of ways to say it that don't come across like he said it. It's like so many other things that he's said all year. He probably doesn't mean for things to come out the way that they do, but in that case it would appear that he's absolute crap at expressing himself. Now, you can say that we shouldn't judge him on things that come across wrong when giving interviews. But what's that say about how he communicates with the team? Are we supposed to believe that after well over a decade managing in the Premier League that he gets rattled in front of a camera, but turns into a smooth orator in the dressing room? Perhaps it's no wonder that the team doesn't respond well to him.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Did you even listen to it? It's on youtube watch it. He wasn't even talking about the game. He was asked about City's chances to be champions. He was commenting about them as a team.

TheGame

This comment was obviously ill thought and his actual point about improving should have been phrased differently but the reaction has been over the top to say the least. I feel there are people ready with their little notepad and paper analysing every Moyes comment ready to pick on everything he says.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
This comment was obviously ill thought and his actual point about improving should have been phrased differently but the reaction has been over the top to say the least. I feel there are people ready with their little notepad and paper analysing every Moyes comment ready to pick on everything he says.
It's that defeatist approach against our bitter rivals that's hard to accept.

Liverpool are favorites in Old Trafford, and then the next week we aspire to play at City's level? Too much for Manchester United, especially considering we were bossing them both only a few months ago.

Tyrion Lannister

I think he needs to wise up, he's been a Premier League manager for over a decade. Bizarrly, Brendon Rodgers "gets it" already despite spending much less time as a Premier League manager.

Moyes has taken us down a level, it is in fact "he" that needs to aspire to the levels of Manchester United.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Did you even listen to it? It's on youtube watch it. He wasn't even talking about the game. He was asked about City's chances to be champions. He was commenting about them as a team.
Yes. I like how you presume I haven't. He's talking about their performance level against us, and in their campaign. They are favourites for the league, wtf is wrong in saying we aspire to their performance levels. He's not saying we want to be manchester city.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Yes. I like how you presume I haven't. He's talking about their performance level against us, and in their campaign. They are favourites for the league, wtf is wrong in saying we aspire to their performance levels. He's not saying we want to be manchester city.
Would SAF have said something like that about City? Would Giggs say something like that?

You don't "try and aspire to reach the standard" of your "noisy neighbors", and bitter rivals, when you're much bigger than them.

What SAF said about Liverpool was "knock them off their fecking perch"! City don't even have a perch. They played somewhat well for a season, and now we're aspiring?

I guess it can't be explained, if you can't feel it then you won't.

And by the way, I have always commended him when he makes good statements, never picked on him unless he said something stupid imo.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
. I feel there are people ready with their little notepad and paper analysing every Moyes comment ready to pick on everything he says.
Yep. And thats partly his fault but it also comes with managing a footballing giant.

Rodgers, of course, was recently quoted just before playing us that they did not measure themselves against Man United but against the standards set by their own club over the years. Thats the voice of self belief and identity and an understanding of a club and tradition right there. It flows through his team now whilst ours plays as though the well is dry.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Would SAF have said something like that about City? Would Giggs say something like that?

You don't "try and aspire to reach the standard" of your "noisy neighbors", and bitter rivals, when you're much bigger than them.

What SAF said about Liverpool was "knock them off their fecking perch"! City don't even have a perch. They played somewhat well for a season, and now we're aspiring?

I guess it can't be explained, if you can't feel it then you won't.

And by the way, I have always commended him when he makes good statements, never picked on him unless he said something stupid imo.
How many times do people need to point out that Moyes was not saying we need to reach City's standards?

Hell feck it, I'm free for the next couple hours. Let's see if we can do it 50 times. You reply rephrasing about reaching the standard of City, and I'll reply saying what Moyes meant, and then you reply again rephrasing the same thing, and then I'll reply again.

It will be so much fun. Can you wait 10 minutes though, I'm off to the shop to buy some popcorn quickly.

MiamiSpartan

Because we WERE at that level...no, we were 11 points BETTER than that level a year ago. What's changed in that time?

MiamiSpartan

How many times do people need to point out that Moyes was not saying we need to reach City's standards?

Hell feck it, I'm free for the next couple hours. Let's see if we can do it 50 times. You reply rephrasing about reaching the standard of City, and I'll reply saying what Moyes meant, and then you reply again rephrasing the same thing, and then I'll reply again.

It will be so much fun. Can you wait 10 minutes though, I'm off to the shop to buy some popcorn quickly.
So your defense of Moyes is that he's not good at getting his real message across? That explains why we've looked a disorganized shambles this year.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster

I didn't rephrase anything. I'm taking a quote, you're trying to explain what he really meant.

And regardless what he "really" meant by the way, comparing us to City in a way diminishing us like that is not acceptable.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
So your defense of Moyes is that he's not good at getting his real message across?
No. I and many others understood his message. It's only those foaming at the mouth who struggle to understand. I think the foam has something to do with it.

Crashoutcassius

Because we WERE at that level...no, we were 11 points BETTER than that level a year ago. What's changed in that time?
were we really though? I really didn't think United were the best team in the league last season. Also, of course we were going to come down a notch losing SAF, everyone knew that. And anyway, you're saying in this that City haven't improved from last season - all the stats and pundits would totally disagree with you there too. So lets say we WERE at their level 12 months ago (we weren't imo, altho fair enough to claim because of the table), lots changed in that 12 months 1. they have gotten a lot lot better 2. we have lost best manager in history of football. So you can't blame moyes for us being not at their level. What you can blame moyes for is being further below their level than we need to be, which would be fair enough