Trying to break teams down by walking slowly about with the ball in our own half

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Not according to Ole he's happy with what he's seen in this regard because his post match comments stated he was happy with the attitude / desire of the players. The truth is we have a mediocre manager, we are not going to just outplay the opposition and break them down when the coach is if not more inept than the opponent manager.
That was really disappointing, coddling the players won't help. The space we gave West Ham on defense was criminal, literally painful to watch. Matic was the worst, we can't carry our defensive midfielder on defense! The way we sat off them for the first goal was disgusting.

This persistence in Mata and Matic could ruin the season. I'd rather see anyone who can actually run for 90 minutes.

Lentwood

You cannot claim the high ground in the first post when you're coming out with such bullshit in your second post, sorry.
Enlighten me, Moyes, LvG, Jose and Ole then please?

In fact, put your tactical insight in an email to Ed along with a copy of your CV because clearly your a better football manager than any of those we’ve employed

Alabaster Codify7

Fact is, Ole's used to working with Cardiff and Molde quality players and the performances associated with players of that standard. As a manager, h doesnt actually have hands-on experience of working with top-class performers or performances so it is kind of understandable that he seems quite satisfied with what he's seeing. He has no point of reference to compare it to, as a manager.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I think it's a coordination and planning thing. Some players look like they want to press (Peireira, and occasionally Rashford today), while others can't/ won't/ aren't asked to. That is a worse situation than no one pressing - it's an all or nothing thing. Else you just end up with gaps all over the pitch.

It's pretty damning that I'm not sure which players are obeying the instructions and which aren't. If there even are any instructions.

Ixion

I actually think we've had a problem breaking teams down since Sir Alex's final two seasons but it was papered over with Van Persie's good season and occasional Rooney brilliance. After Ronaldo left and was never properly replaced we have looked more and more scared to attack with each season.

NFM

Pressure and Confidence.
Win today and go 3rd. Can't take it, freeze. Confident to take risks, play for percentages? No, play it cautious keep players behind the ball.
Neville is correct, blame the lack of quality and mental strength in the so-called 'experienced' players. Their only experience is being mediocre.
But it can change. The season before Fergie's first title, United froze as the end of the season came, they hoped Leeds would wobble, they didn't and United looked like a team that would justify the taunts from the Kop 'you'll never win the league again'. What happened the next season was down mainly to luck, a telephone call that unexpectedly produced a genius, a very arrogant one, who's confidence and belief rubbed off on every player immediately , and the rest is history.
United desperately need one or two if possible players with this mental strength, allied to great ability. It would transform a team that plays like its dazzled in the headlights most of the time, to one that enjoys playing. No-one in the team looks like they enjoy it, no-one plays with a smile on their face, its too much like hard work.
Watched 'Pool play Chelsea, ist half only. Its not like they played beautiful flowing football, they didn't. A lot of passes were long, by-passing midfield and a lot were very loose. But they never stopped trying to play forward, the forwards were always running. It was typical percentage football, in fact it was typical Liverpool football from the 70s and 80s. Despite all the money in the EPL it doesn't have teams playing marvellous football, most players are very average on a historic basis, which is why City and Liverpool are running away with the title again. If Liverpool can get success with percentage football with mainly players from other EPL clubs , plus two excellent additions in CM and CF, then so can United.
It needs two 'central spine' excellent additions with arrogance and the skill to match.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
So.....how do City do it? Do teams not defend with 9/10 men against them?

For me, it’s the speed of their forward runs and the quick passes in behind. They seem to get behind packed defences with ease....something we can never do. Of course, they have far better players than us

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Fact is, Ole's used to working with Cardiff and Molde quality players and the performances associated with players of that standard. As a manager, h doesnt actually have hands-on experience of working with top-class performers or performances so it is kind of understandable that he seems quite satisfied with what he's seeing. He has no point of reference to compare it to, as a manager.
Condescending and stupid. Of course he van handle stars and bg players, he was feckin one of them!!! United was playing very good until the injuries came last spring. It started well this season again, then injuries. Might it not be that there is need for players that can play his style, and that the current squad is not good enough to handle a lot of injuries and rotation? Could it be that things will get better over time, that there actually was a plan behind the THREE years? Do you really think you build a new team, style and culture so quickly? It is ok to be disappointed, but try and use some pragmatic sense too. This will take time. And several new players in with both skills and mentality for the job asked of them. That the United squad is expensive is a.. yes! That it is so very very good is wrong. There is a lot of talent but not all talent is consistent, and there are not enough leaders and matured players for stability.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I think it's a coordination and planning thing. Some players look like they want to press (Peireira, and occasionally Rashford today), while others can't/ won't/ aren't asked to. That is a worse situation than no one pressing - it's an all or nothing thing. Else you just end up with gaps all over the pitch.

It's pretty damning that I'm not sure which players are obeying the instructions and which aren't. If there even are any instructions.
I'm fairly sure there must be instructions, but when you get performances like the first half today or against Palace, it's equally obvious they either aren't being followed or that people aren't working hard enough to follow them. Or not enough onus is being put on the players to be bang at it, or on what to do in certain situations.

You see us set up in a defensive shape for example. It looked like today the instruction was to only press when West Ham's defenders looked to bring the ball forwards, but then apart from Pereira and James there was no aggression at all to any pressing we did do. When we dropped back into a compact defensive shape in our own half, again no aggression or alertness. There are no spaces for West Ham to play into but it doesn't matter because one of their players can literally take 12 touches of the ball without any risk of a tackle or having passing options closed off. When we win the ball back, five or six touches before anyone would look for a pass, all at walking pace..by that time three West Ham players are breathing down their neck. No one is being coached to play like this.

I think again the thing that makes it damming is it isn't every game, so clearly the players are being coached to do better than this, and can do better than this...when they want to. It wouldn't be so dammig if it was a one off, but it was the norm under Jose. The norm towards the end of last season. It's happening frequently this season. We swing from looking like an organised team to a bunch of lads playing in the park from one game to the next at times...sometimes from one half to the next.

I think, presuming there is a clear instruction and gameplan, Ole really needs to get a hold of things here. The one thing I would say for LVG is that if you didn't do what he wanted you didn't play. Pep publicly stated that he wouldn't even let players train with the rest of the City squad unless they were doing what he wanted to the intensity level he wanted. Ole really needs to do something similar if this is going to be stamped out. Even if it means selecting some odd line ups until certain players get the message. If you set a standard then you have a platform. Everyone there knows what it is. Every new players knows what it is. At the moment it just feels a bit like do what you want because even if you're dropped whoever comes in will just do what they want anyway.

On Thursday we had our left back trying stupid tricks, shooting from 500 yards out, over and over...just blatantly not giving a feck, all when the score was 0-0. Imagine a player doing this at Liverpool or City. You just wouldn't see them ever again after half time. You wouldn't see it happen in the first place.

Dan_F

Probably merge this with the classic Zombie Football thread.
Yep. It goes back to Fergie’s final years. The difference being the squad was littered with world class players and the competition wasn’t as strong. Completely different players, different manager, same attitude of passing to the full back and pinging it down the line because no one in midfield has actually bothered moving to make space.

NFM

They play without pressure most of the time ( except in the later stages of the CL) and loads of confidence. Certainly they are very good players, this always helps! They are coached within an inch of their lives continually but in a way that encourages risk taking where necessary. So they run forwards in the final third when they can loose the ball, they are encouraged to take risks with forward passes. When it works , and when it works with very good players, they get greater confidence to keep doing it. Then it becomes natural. United's great teams played like this as do all great teams.
United play 'scared' football, which has a negative feedback. Have done increasingly since Cristiano left. Van Persie for a season with a 'last fling' Scholes got a final season's flourish, but its been a gradual drift to negativity for almost 10 years now.
But it would be amazing the transformation with the injection of positivity from two arrogant, highly skilled players in the two attacking central roles. Players who are being written off now would play 30/40% better.
If you want to see it in practice, just look at Liverpool ( City are an exception it is pointless trying to copy). If they can make Okish EPL players into world beaters then so can United.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Our attack strategy w/o martial and pogba seems to involve trying to play in Rashy from deep when he makes one of his darting runs in behind. Inevitably he rarely gets on the end of it, because it's a low percentage ball. He then waves his arms around in a frustrated strop and we try it again. Rinse and repeat. Not so much p*ssing in the wind as p*ssing in a 50mph gale.

Or Dan James gets it in a little bit of space and tries to Maradona it into the opponents net. Tbf he has a bloody good go bless him, but 9 times out of 10 its not going to result in anything is it? Our entire set up looks wholly unconvincing.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I get the feeling that the senior members of the squad are simply going through the motions and have been for years, passing this mentality on from group to group.

Under Moyes the likes of Rio, Vidic and RVP clearly had no respect for the manager, which at the time you could appreciate when they were being told to monitor how the likes of Jagielka defended.

Under Van Gaal we had the same issue with Rooney, Di Maria, Falcao, Depay, Schweinsteiger etc. They seemed to be simply going through the motions.

It briefly changed early on under Jose but again (including the majority of his signings)... The likes of Pogba, Lukaku, Matic, Sanchez, Mkhitaryan and Shaw just don't seem to be motivated whatsoever.

Now we see the same with Mata, Matic, Pogba, Shaw and even Lingard who you'd expect to rely on at least from a being arsed perspective.

I do wonder whether we need a complete cull next Summer in tandem with a strong manager to stamp it out. Get rid of Jones, Bailly, Rojo, Young, Matic, Mata and Pogba (inc Sanchez). Commit a £400m budget to identify players with a different mentality, which in truth Ole seems to have targeted with Maguire, Wan-Bissaka and James.

I've had employees before that infect everyone around them and turn relatively good staff into complete wasters. The problem is that if they aren't gotten rid of quickly the others don't return to their former selves even after the bad eggs are removed; they replace them.

I get the feeling we have a similar situation with a rotten and negative core of the squad passing on their toxicity from group to group. Especially when the same players know it's likely to be the manager and not them who get sodded off.
Very interesting point about how the attitudes have been passed on. I subscribe to this notion.

Irwin99

I get the feeling that the senior members of the squad are simply going through the motions and have been for years, passing this mentality on from group to group.

Under Moyes the likes of Rio, Vidic and RVP clearly had no respect for the manager, which at the time you could appreciate when they were being told to monitor how the likes of Jagielka defended.

Under Van Gaal we had the same issue with Rooney, Di Maria, Falcao, Depay, Schweinsteiger etc. They seemed to be simply going through the motions.

It briefly changed early on under Jose but again (including the majority of his signings)... The likes of Pogba, Lukaku, Matic, Sanchez, Mkhitaryan and Shaw just don't seem to be motivated whatsoever.

Now we see the same with Mata, Matic, Pogba, Shaw and even Lingard who you'd expect to rely on at least from a being arsed perspective.

I do wonder whether we need a complete cull next Summer in tandem with a strong manager to stamp it out. Get rid of Jones, Bailly, Rojo, Young, Matic, Mata and Pogba (inc Sanchez). Commit a £400m budget to identify players with a different mentality, which in truth Ole seems to have targeted with Maguire, Wan-Bissaka and James.

I've had employees before that infect everyone around them and turn relatively good staff into complete wasters. The problem is that if they aren't gotten rid of quickly the others don't return to their former selves even after the bad eggs are removed; they replace them.

I get the feeling we have a similar situation with a rotten and negative core of the squad passing on their toxicity from group to group. Especially when the same players know it's likely to be the manager and not them who get sodded off.
I think that's partly true. You can say that managers will always try to cover their own mistakes and you might be right but LVG and Jose commented many times how they found it difficult to get some of these players motivated. LVG had one game against Everton where he said post match that he knew something was wrong with the attitude of the players straight from the warm up, you had Jose publicly saying that it was difficult to get his players motivated to play in the Europa League, and then the match against Huddersfield in 17/18 again where he said that they just weren't up for it. Obviously many different types of players have come and gone in that time but the mentality isn't changing.

There's an obvious lack of quality in the squad but there's a lack of character/leadership too and it's gone on for a long time.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Well, either Ole believes Pereira and Mata are great players OR he believes they are the two players he has to make do with, so little point in highlighting their deficiencies publicly....I think the latter is more likely
You miss the point Mata got a 2 year deal

Seb burrow

I think what we have to realise is that this squad just isn’t good enough. No leadership is a real issue, especially from the older players is a real concern, mata, matic, young just aren’t good enough and the younger players - A. don’t look up to them and B. They don’t set a presidencies. You’re asking inexperienced, let’s face it boys who have hardly won anything try figure things out. And they just can’t do it. The only period since SAF left when we’ve done anything remotely of note was when Ibra was here and that’s because he’s a leader. We need more leaders to inspire the youth.

Last edited by a moderator:

finneh

I think that's partly true. You can say that managers will always try to cover their own mistakes and you might be right but LVG and Jose commented many times how they found it difficult to get some of these players motivated. LVG had one game against Everton where he said post match that he knew something was wrong with the attitude of the players straight from the warm up, you had Jose publicly saying that it was difficult to get his players motivated to play in the Europa League, and then the match against Huddersfield in 17/18 again where he said that they just weren't up for it. Obviously many different types of players have come and gone in that time but the mentality isn't changing.

There's an obvious lack of quality in the squad but there's a lack of character/leadership too and it's gone on for a long time.
My first job in management I had a very similar issue.

At first I thought I had merely one or two bad apples, which was essentially true. After 6 months I transferred Employee A who was fat, lazy and generally did as little as possible, albeit he was the most skilled. Six months after that I sacked Employee B (second most skilled but very disruptive) and Employee C (misguidedly followed B) for gross misconduct... However by this point Employee D had become exceptionally lazy and Employee E was becoming very disruptive also. Employee D was later also sacked for gross misconduct and Employee F left on his own accord after realising that the behaviour would no longer fly. I talked to Employee D over a 12 month period and gave him more responsibility and he really turned it around and is still with that department today as their most skilled member.

Literally two bad apples in a team of eight ended up infecting the majority of the team and it took a lot of ruthlessness to stamp it out.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's not a lack of effort or bad attitude. We don't have the confidence to find each other through quick passing exchanges hence we either keep loitering around in safe possession, or running like headless chickens full throttle at teams without any actual plan.

Rocknrolla69er

The midfield is a massive problem, Matic and Mata's movement was none existent, were struggling with the transition from defence to attack, it simply breaks down once Mata, Peirerra or Matic do receive it, or nine times out of ten they haven't got the mobility/desire to get into positions to receive the ball.

Soooooo we end up with facing wave after wave of attacking pressure, same happened against West Ham and Leicester.

Crying out for a player like Maddison.

The thing what's annoying me, is while we have a shite squad, Ole is being to kind/not showing enough balls in shifting Mata and Matic away and blooding Gomes and playing Fred who both have the mobility , what could be worse? Instead he waits till it's too late in the game then makes the subs that should have started

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't think ole told them to walk on the pitch rather then run. The reality is that this is an incompetent lazy lot. To Ole’s/Gaz's shock that include honest British talent

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think the problem is lack of coaching and confidence. The worst part of the set up is, players don't offer support to the player in possession. So most players will end up taking too much time on the ball, taking extra touches. So they will either lose it or when they make the pass, it's just ineffective pass.

I said confidence as when players are at peak of their confidence, everything clicks. They will make runs, will show more for the ball, when they are down they will try to shift the responsibilities to someone else and it will always have impact on their decision making.

You watch a good coached team, players make pass without even checking, knowing that player will make the run. It's not blind faith, it's a move that is practiced a lot. Wonder what we do in the training ground when we can't even take a proper set piece.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don’t miss the point at all. It’s well known our managers don’t negotiate contract renewals
No manager negotiates the deals. But he tells the club if he needs to keep the player or not. It should have been a no

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You can have all the attacking players but surely players have to step up. We all sound like a broken record but it is true most of.our players are not that good like we think they are. I remember there were numerous occasions where lingard could not control the damn football. Ole like every other previous manager will become the target when in reality the focus should always been on the board. Where are the glazers out bandwagon gone now.
Ole judges their quality. He actually thinks it's fine to depend on Rashford and Martial for goals this season. That's not just the boards failures but our managers own delusion.

Hoof the ball

I can tell you how City, Liverpool and Spurs are structured to attack throughout all the various phases on the field. It's very obvious, in fact. What I can't tell you is how we're structurally set up. It isn't obvious. There's no clear and defined pattern. There's no tactical repetition. No sequences of moves that I can oftentimes identify with coaching work. Most of it looks ad-hoc, completely improvised in the moment. Regardless of the results the one thing we really need this season is a clear and obvious system. Pressing isn't just running about more. Counter attack isn't just knocking it up to Rashy. It's much more meticulously planned than that. This is what we need to see. Ole either implements it with his current coaching group or he brings in the necessary specialists, instead.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I can tell you how City, Liverpool and Spurs are structured to attack throughout all the various phases on the field. It's very obvious, in fact. What I can't tell you is how we're structurally set up. It isn't obvious. There's no clear and defined pattern. There's no tactical repetition. No sequences of moves that I can oftentimes identify with coaching work. Most of it looks ad-hoc, completely improvised in the moment. Regardless of the results the one thing we really need this season is a clear and obvious system. Pressing isn't just running about more. Counter attack isn't just knocking it up to Rashy. It's much more meticulously planned than that. This is what we need to see. Ole either implements it with his current coaching group or he brings in the necessary specialists, instead.
Aye. It's that thing of knowing what they're going to do and stopping it being two very different things. In days of yore people knew Fergie's teams would throw the kitchen sink at you if we needed a goal in the last ten minutes, but avoiding being hit by said sink was very difficult.

The thing is everyone pretty much knows what we're going to do too, but it's so easy to play against we have the likes of West Ham running out handsome winners and nobody thinking it's anything other than routine. Sky's narrative shots towards the end; Hammer Horror-style close-ups of a hangdog Ole, dismayed United fans and the Ed and Jonesy show, would suggest something seismic is happening were it not for Jose and Keane giving the game away with comments like "I'm not surprised" and "I knew they were in a bad way but...". It is not a shock to see us beaten by West Ham because they are currently a better team than us, which is scandalous in itself.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Ole judges their quality. He actually thinks it's fine to depend on Rashford and Martial for goals this season. That's not just the boards failures but our managers own delusion.
This was maddeningly stupid on his part to be fair. Regardless of whether either can score enough goals, assuming both would be fit for all 60 odd games of the season is just plain idiocy. It's not as if the situation we had in the second half yesterday was exactly a surprise. It was just a case of when that would happen and how often.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Another 45 minutes of this today.

We're away at West Ham, with a weakened side, under pressure to win, and with the exception of James, Pereira and Bissaka, we stroll about like a pack of lazy twats.

I can't get my head around this team. There's actually some kind of weird determination that exists to go into games with a terrible attitude.

Why is it so hard for a grouo of professional footballers to start a game of football with the right attitude?
Agreed. It drives me fecking insane watching them.

2 things for me:

1 - The players are too lazy. Never mind pressing or anything like that, on the ball so many players have 3, 4, 5, even 6 touches before even looking at making a pass to another player. It's shocking, I don't even do that at 5-a-side as it is inevitable you will be closed down and lose the ball. Too many times it is the safe option that is chosen. And the lack of desire and character from the squad as a whole is a disgrace.

2. The experienced players just look like they don't even want to be there now. Matic, Mata and more just can't / won't / don't want to try and lead these players and have them rally around and have the warrior mentality to get us out of this mess. We strut around the fecking pitch irrespective of the score and in situations where you are looking for senior players to grab the squad by the scruff of the neck, the game gets worse and we end up ambling around and losing or drawing. The behaviour of so many players is shocking.

Keano was right yesterday. Where on Earth do you start with them...?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
yet we were led to believe that we had so much pace up front, everyone was going to be so scared of us that they'd just run away. It's the taking us for mugs that annoys me. we can see how slow the "build-up" is. no pace, no tempo, no passion, no desire

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
What I can't tell you is how we're structurally set up. It isn't obvious. There's no clear and defined pattern. There's no tactical repetition. No sequences of moves that I can oftentimes identify with coaching work. Most of it looks ad-hoc, completely improvised in the moment.
This 100%. Even teams below us in the league look like better teams. You can see a tactical style, strategy or gameplan. Sure, it doesn't work every week but they stick to it as it is utilising their strengths and shielding their weaknesses.

What the hell are we doing?

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Why shoudn't they play it safe and why shouldn't they be lethargic? It takes so little to be a regular starter for United these days and earn the big cash by doing absolutely nothing. Even the three newcomers will realize this sooner than later. Even the way we use the youngsters is wrong. It should be a privilege to start for United, something that has to be earned and not a publicity line, reminiscent of the past, that will make us feel good about ourselves.

So, why do we look more disjointed than the likes of Norwich, Bournemouth etc. Because it is imperative that we get results. The Farkes and the Howes of this world can afford to lose four-five games in a row. We simply can't. Even the notion that Solskjaer (or whoever) can survive finishing 10th, if the footy is pleasing to the eye, is plain stupid. There can be no saving grace at United for a manager that finishes 10th after having spent a year & a half and three transfer windows at the club. It sends the message that it's OK to be mediocre and these players, who are currently getting away with murder, will not only have won the battle against the manager but the whole damn war too.

Of course, Ole understands this. Hid predecessors did too. So, what do you do when reality tells you that you don't possess the creative prowess and the attacking ability that's needed in order to take the game to your opponents? You try to kill off any tempo your opponent wishes to force and you rely on a few individual moments to grab a 1-0 win. It worked against Leicester, it didn't work yesterday. It happened with LvG, it happened with Mourinho and it is happening again with Ole.