Two Finals, Three English Teams

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
It would be 10 that will start so roughly 1/3. 5 for United, 3 for City and 2 for Chelsea. It's roughly in line with what you see from most Spanish sides in the latter stages of the competition. Guardiola era Barca and Villareal are at the high end and outliers if you look at most of their finalists. From a English NT point of view roughly half the squad will be involved in these games so it is a positive yes. Apart from the fact that they'll miss the Euro warm up games.

Boasting of superiority on this basis is small time of course. I don't see why it would become legitimate if there we a couple more English starters in each side?
Agreed that it’s small time, but it happens all the time. I don’t know why people can’t just enjoy their league without insisting every 5 seconds that it’s by far the best in the world. But I think that’s something that English people do in any walk of life, not just football. Maybe it’s a hangover from Empire mentality, I’m not sure,

Classical Mechanic

But I think that’s something that English people do in any walk of life, not just football. Maybe it’s a hangover from Empire mentality, I’m not sure,
All nationalities are like this in my opinion. There's always a faction of people within any nation that tend to be excessively patriotic, excessively prideful and have a sense that their shit smells better than everyone elses.

Supermonkey_Wolf

Supports
Chelsea
The destruction of Villareal by United will probably signal the strength of the Premier league better than an a English final anyway

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
All nationalities are like this in my opinion. There's always a faction of people within any nation that tend to be excessively patriotic, excessively prideful and have a sense that their shit smells better than everyone elses.
I agree that you’ll find an element of it in any society, but I don’t accept that it happens to the same degree in every country. It’s much worse in places with big populations or historical influence. Many people from smaller countries are actually quite modest about the output of their nations

Classical Mechanic

I agree that you’ll find an element of it in any society, but I don’t accept that it happens to the same degree in every country. It’s much worse in places with big populations or historical influence. Many people from smaller countries are actually quite modest about the output of their nations
That's a fair point.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
1996, with great players like the boobies; charlatan and mores. there was also their brother, jock charlatan and knob styes, not to forget jeffry hurts, who scored in the final.
Ah how could I forget, thanks for the history lesson mate!!

Tree lines on the shirt

Shimo

How many English players will be involved in the finals me wonders.
With United - they will have at minimum Rashford, Shaw, AWB, Maguire and guessing Greenwood at some point. A decent number at least on our part. That's with Hendo the seemingly first choice keeper not playing.

City will have Foden, Walker, Stones and maybe Sterling

Chelsea - Mount is about it. Perhaps Abraham / Reece James at a push

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
With United - they will have at minimum Rashford, Shaw, AWB, Maguire and guessing Greenwood at some point. A decent number at least on our part. That's with Hendo the seemingly first choice keeper not playing.

Chilwell

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
What you have to say is impressive is two all English CL finals in 3 years, with 4 different teams. If that doesn’t point to the depth in strength of the league, I don’t know what does.

Whats unforgivable is that we weren’t one of the 4 English teams competing. Shameful owners.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Big populations have more to be 'proud' of. modesty is very easy when it's unspectacular. You can bet your left nut that if Switzerland were dominating CL football they'd be singing about it.

Last edited:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
He's as English as

Big populations have more to be 'proud' of. modesty is very easy when it's unspectacular. You can bet your left nut that if Switzerland were dominating CL football they'd be singing about it.
No they don’t, not necessarily

redrobed

I don’t think that’s the narrative he was hoping for. I always find it a bit weird the extent to which so many of our fans seem to hate England, considering we’re based in England.

Cast5

Based on this weeks first XI and benches

United

Henderson
Maguire
Shaw
Wan-Bissaka
Greenwood
Rashford
Tuanzebe
Williams
Elanga

Chelsea

Chilwell
Mount
James
Abraham
CHO
Carson

City

Stones
Walker
Foden
Sterling
Ake
Ake and Elanga aren’t English..

always_hoping

How many English players will be involved in the finals me wonders.
As in possible starters

Man City - Walker, Stones, Foden. (Sterling involved off the bench)

Chelsea - Chilwell, Mount (Abraham, James, Hudson Odo introduced off the bench)

Man United - Wan Bissaka, Maguire, Shaw, Rashford (Greenwood off the bench) and I don't expect Henderson, Williams, Tuanzebe to feature.

Gator Nate

Are Manchester United fans happy or disappointed that Arsenal lost to Villarreal?

On one hand, it would be good for English football if Arsenal won. On the other hand, Arsenal is still a rival and probably a tougher opponent than Villarreal.

Which one is it?
Happy, but only because it saw Arsenal lose to their previous manager. That was just too sweet.

Competitively, couldn't care less - it's a tournament, survive and advance. You beat the teams that are put in front of you.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
8 or 9 out of 33 starters is a lot to you? Like I said, Villarreal had 8 Spanish players in their starting line-up yesterday. Obviously other countries use foreign players as well, but I’m just pointing out the irony of boasting of superiority when the majority of the players are not homegrown.
Can we not be proud of the Premier league without bringing nationalism into the equation. It's the league of the county we live in and contains the teams we support who have been playing each other for many years.
It's currently arguably the strongest league in the world and the most competitive and entertaining. so why cant we be proud or happy just because of the multi national makeup of the league.
And I think that we're also proud of the multi national league we've had for so long as the influx of foreign players brought a different style and flair to the league.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Its hilarious when you see posts like "How many English players" "How can you be proud of playing so many foreigners"

If English people want English players then they are Brexit lovers, xenophobic, mouth breathers, knuckle draggers, if they are happy with players no matter with nationality they are, then "How can you be proud of so many foreigners in your team" :lol:
Pretty much this...

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Can we not be proud of the Premier league without bringing nationalism into the equation. It's the league of the county we live in and contains the teams we support who have been playing each other for many years.
It's currently arguably the strongest league in the world and the most competitive and entertaining. so why cant we be proud or happy just because of the multi national makeup of the league.
And I think that we're also proud of the multi national league we've had for so long as the influx of foreign players brought a different style and flair to the league.
You can be proud of it without saying that other leagues are trash or that a player who is arguably the greatest player ever (not in my opinion but by the reckoning of many) somehow has an incomplete resume because he never played in it.

By the evidence of this forum, other forums, the National media and social media, most PL fans are incapable of doing this.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
You can be proud of it without saying that other leagues are trash or that a player who is arguably the greatest player ever (not in my opinion but by the reckoning of many) somehow has an incomplete resume because he never played in it.

By the evidence of this forum, other forums, the National media and social media, most PL fans are incapable of doing this.
I don't think there's much evidence in actuality for your broad assumption is there. For eg implying that most fans as in the majority of pl fans think that Messi has an incomplete cv because he's never played here...
We could make it somewhat imperical and start a few polls to see if you're right.
No we're proud of the league in this country as we should be it's a great league and we're also proud of the multi national makeup of it.

TheReligion

Abusive

Why you on the forum of the biggest English PL club then?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I don't think there's much evidence in actuality for your broad assumption is there. For eg implying that most fans as in the majority of pl fans think that Messi has an incomplete cv because he's never played here...
We could make it somewhat imperical and start a few polls to see if you're right.
No we're proud of the league in this country as we should be it's a great league and we're also proud of the multi national makeup of it.
Seen multiple examples of both of the things I’ve said and so have you, don’t be disingenuous now.

Brightonian

The three English teams through to the finals will probably use, in total:

- 12 British players in the starting XI
- 11 more on the bench

If Roma, PSG and Real Madrid had got through to those finals, the number of 'native' (Italian, French or Spanish respectively) players they would be using would be:

- 7 in the starting XI
- 12 on the bench

Of course the likes of Villareal use more 'native' players than very wealthy English clubs like City and Chelsea. But it's a myth that the wealthy European clubs are more likely to use their national players than the English clubs. Here are the breakdowns by club:

City: 3 starting, 3 bench
Chelsea: 3 starting, 3 bench
United: 6 starting, 5 bench

PSG: 2 starting, 2 bench
Madrid: 2 starting, 7 bench
Roma: 3 starting, 3 bench.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Seen multiple examples of both of the things I’ve said and so have you, don’t be disingenuous now.
I can't say I've heard people say about Messi that he hasn't proved his quality because he hasn't played in England thats rubbish im sorry. And you haven't really acknowledged what I've wrote. But it's ok

MalcolmTucker

I can't say I've heard people say about Messi that he hasn't proved his quality because he hasn't played in England thats rubbish im sorry. And you haven't really acknowledged what I've wrote. But it's ok
I've definitely seen a lot of it. Any article about Messi on the Sky Sports facebook makes for grim reading - mouth breathing simpletons and boomers genuinely saying Messi would struggle in the PL. Also, some of the farmer league comments are unnecessary and stupid, although at this point I think a lot of it is tongue in cheek.

That said I do find it amusing the amount of posters who see fit to denigrate the English or Man Utd yet choose to spend their time on here

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Based on this weeks first XI and benches

United

Henderson
Maguire
Shaw
Wan-Bissaka
Greenwood
Rashford
Tuanzebe
Williams
Elanga

Chelsea

Chilwell
Mount
James
Abraham
CHO
Carson

City

Stones
Walker
Foden
Sterling
Ake
Ake plays for the Netherlands NT not England

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
The Europa League is as irrelevant as it gets. The PL has been underperforming in the CL the last decade, it was only a matter of time until this changes.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
The three English teams through to the finals will probably use, in total:

- 12 British players in the starting XI
- 11 more on the bench

If Roma, PSG and Real Madrid had got through to those finals, the number of 'native' (Italian, French or Spanish respectively) players they would be using would be:

- 7 in the starting XI
- 12 on the bench

Of course the likes of Villareal use more 'native' players than very wealthy English clubs like City and Chelsea. But it's a myth that the wealthy European clubs are more likely to use their national players than the English clubs. Here are the breakdowns by club:

City: 3 starting, 3 bench
Chelsea: 3 starting, 3 bench
United: 6 starting, 5 bench

PSG: 2 starting, 2 bench
Madrid: 2 starting, 7 bench
Roma: 3 starting, 3 bench.
Go and look at the number of Spanish players in the starting elevens of the Sevilla, Barcelona, Villarreal, Bilbao, Espanyol, Valencia and Atletico Madrid teams that dominated the last 10-15 years of European Club football. Couple that with unprecedented success in the national team arena and you have something genuine to boast about on a jingoistic level (reductive though that is). But they don’t, not nearly as much as PL fans.

Even when Spanish teams were winning the Champions League and the Europa League virtually every year for a decade, PL fans still maintained that this league was by far the strongest and most competitive in the world.

Brightonian

Go and look at the number of Spanish players in the starting elevens of the Sevilla, Barcelona, Villarreal, Bilbao, Espanyol, Valencia and Atletico Madrid teams that dominated the last 10-15 years of European Club football. Couple that with unprecedented success in the national team arena and you have something genuine to boast about on a jingoistic level (reductive though that is). But they don’t, not nearly as much as PL fans.

Even when Spanish teams were winning the Champions League and the Europa League virtually every year for a decade, PL fans still maintained that this league was by far the strongest and most competitive in the world.
I'm responding only to the claims that English teams are getting this current success without any English/British players. Not trying to make any kind of jingoistic boast. You're projecting your stuff onto me there. But as for the situation right now, those three English teams can't be accused of not playing any same-nation players when the continental alternatives would have been playing significantly fewer.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I've definitely seen a lot of it. Any article about Messi on the Sky Sports facebook makes for grim reading - mouth breathing simpletons and boomers genuinely saying Messi would struggle in the PL. Also, some of the farmer league comments are unnecessary and stupid, although at this point I think a lot of it is tongue in cheek.

That said I do find it amusing the amount of posters who see fit to denigrate the English or Man Utd yet choose to spend their time on here
Oh I'm sure there's lots of crap being said on various comment sections like Facetube etc. I'm only on here and he gets a lot of respect as he should do with being probably the top 3 players of all time. And yea I don't agree with derogatory comments like farmers league but it seems banter to me. Its the whole argument that we shouldn't be proud of the premiership because there's lots of foreign players in our teams here.

marktan

Are we back to loving our owners now? :lol:

This is the ultimate paradox of the English fan in the last two weeks. Hate the owners but then love to beat their chest because of the money they bring.
Two doped up oil clubs (though Chelsea less so in recent years) and the one that does things using its own money is the final of the Europa League. Wahey.

The PL is strong but it's nothing to write home about given the state of the ownerships, where you either have oil Barrons pumping money in as there personal playthings, or Americans bent on making as much money as possible. Much rather the German model.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I'm responding only to the claims that English teams are getting this current success without any English/British players. Not trying to make any kind of jingoistic boast. You're projecting your stuff onto me there. But as for the situation right now, those three English teams can't be accused of not playing any same-nation players when the continental alternatives would have been playing significantly fewer.
This bloke started his own debate with the question how can you take pride in your strong league when it isn't mainly dominated by homegrown players. Because someone asked how many there would be in these finals so he decided to poke. but I think you'll find we are proud of the multi national makeup of the league its been a great product since the premiere league was created.
As a United fan I've always liked that we've always had a good number of English and British players we always have done but the guys from abroad have brought so much and we love them also like Cantona and Ronaldo to name a couple.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Two doped up oil clubs (though Chelsea less so in recent years) and the one that does things using its own money is the final of the Europa League. Wahey.

The PL is strong but it's nothing to write home about given the state of the ownerships, where you either have oil Barrons pumping money in as there personal playthings, or Americans bent on making as much money as possible. Much rather the German model.
Meh farmers league.

(Joke, god)

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Apart from Villarreal